Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102540 times)

Vx2000Mk1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Expand Quote
Congrats on your new vx1000 OP! Are you getting a mk1 for it soon? And let's see some pics everyone! I will post mine soon.
[close]

lets all post dick pics cuz we finally saved 800 dollars.

What's that supposed to mean? Lmao. All I'm saying is that congrats to OP getting a vx. Idk about you I got my mk1 for 530 from some kid from a south back in spring 2012 in great condition. Stop hating kid
Mk1 over bullshit

Vx2000Mk1

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
where to best buy a mkI if you live in europe?
how much does that  instagram dude charge?
[close]

If you are talking about vx1000market, the average price for a MKI in good condition is 500$...
I sax a scratched one for 350$ the other day, way overpriced.

I'll stick to my MKII, plus I found a pretty decent VX2100 on eBay for 275? to replace my GL2 :)
[close]

vx1000market charges way more than 500 usd.

vx1000market charges 800 for a mk1 brand new. Good source to get a mk1 but tbh just go on ebay you will find mk1's for sale for cheaper
Mk1 over bullshit

Vx2000Mk1

Thanks!
Yeah I have an MK1 for it.
I live in Massachusetts so it's still winter here so no cool footage to post really.
My friends and I have an indoor warehouse spot that I have filmed a bunch at, but you know, it's a warehouse...
Supposed to go out filming some street on Saturday if the weather holds up...

That's dope man. Im from Boston as well. Looks like the weather is looking good this week. Title town wouldn't be a bad option  8)
Mk1 over bullshit

deltronico

I know that this is a VX topic but if there is any Sony Fx7 users , here is a little video to hack your Fisheye and make it a little wider. I had the camera in a bag for 5 years and i am having lots of fun with this new mod.

Sony Fx7 Century Fisheye Mk2 Hack Skateboarding

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
I know that this is a VX topic but if there is any Sony Fx7 users , here is a little video to hack your Fisheye and make it a little wider. I had the camera in a bag for 5 years and i am having lots of fun with this new mod.

Looked sick with the 150% crop in on the 4:3 ! for the HD footage i would use less spacers though to make it look more like the century Xtreme fisheye vig. good stuff though i love fisheye mods.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image

damn cropped 150 looked fucking good. All those spacers on it look so funny but it turns out quite nice.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
What are your audio settings for fisheye filming on VX2100 ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote

[close]

Looked sick with the 150% crop in on the 4:3 ! for the HD footage i would use less spacers though to make it look more like the century Xtreme fisheye vig. good stuff though i love fisheye mods.

Yeah real easy way to do this is get HVX 200 Panasonic, they go for around 700, put an MKII fisheye for a vx2000 on there and you can set it to standard def mode and have 4:3 fisheye, or you can shot in HD and and crop it like he did in editing.
this video was shot in standard def mode on the HVX, not the intro but all the skating
http://vimeo.com/198781467
This video was filmed in HD then later cropped all the crazy vig out
http://vimeo.com/89844495

oneOone

• Rep: 3

Thx for this - will try this with my MK1 and the Canon XF100 which has a 58mm, think the Vignetting will be pretty bad. Currently using an MK2 58mm MK2 replica.
Think the moving Vignetting in your footage results from the actual movement of the step rings + fisheye.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:03:05 AM by oneOone »

Statebird

• Rep: 46

2 bumps up for longlens, 2 bumps down for fish

sounds so much better if you set audio manually with 2100

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah real easy way to do this is get HVX 200 Panasonic, they go for around 700, put an MKII fisheye for a vx2000 on there and you can set it to standard def mode and have 4:3 fisheye, or you can shot in HD and and crop it like he did in editing.
this video was shot in standard def mode on the HVX, not the intro but all the skating

holy fuck about time! I have been looking for a hvx/hpx extreme video that was filmed in sd. Looks so fucking sick. Thanks for sharing

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess everything's better when you do it manually.
Thank you for the tip !
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

jwdharris

• www.vimeo.com/jwdharris avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]

Very similar question. I used to have a VX2000 and VX2100, I've just bought a VX1000.

Would you suggest the same manual audio settings for a VX1000?

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
Expand Quote
Thanks!
I live in Massachusetts so it's still winter here so no cool footage to post really.
My friends and I have an indoor warehouse spot that I have filmed a bunch at, but you know, it's a warehouse...
[close]

That's dope man. Im from Boston as well. Looks like the weather is looking good this week. Title town wouldn't be a bad option  8)

I'm from boston and nobody calls it that.

Statebird

• Rep: 46
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Very similar question. I used to have a VX2000 and VX2100, I've just bought a VX1000.

never used a VX1 but from what I hear the classic VX1 audio is all auto, few friends use VX1 and don't set audio.

jwdharris

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

never used a VX1 but from what I hear the classic VX1 audio is all auto, few friends use VX1 and don't set audio.

My first VX1, so I'm all new to it. I'm kind of reluctant to keep it on auto as I like to have full control over everything.

I've used VX2000, VX2100, HVX200, HMC151 and 60D for my skate stuff prior to the VX1 and I don't think I could kick the habit of setting the audio like I have done with all these previously!

Thanks for your reply, though! I'll keep digging.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
I'm also new to this camera but as far as I know everyone uses the auto preset for audio.
I think one of the strongest points of this camera in terms of its longevity in skating (aside from the mk1) is the way the mic captures sound.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

doyle

• Rep: 210
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

holy fuck about time! I have been looking for a hvx/hpx extreme video that was filmed in sd. Looks so fucking sick. Thanks for sharing

That's not what that is. That's a HVX/Modded Mk2 and then cropped. HVX or HPX/Xtreme filmed in SD doesn't look very good, it's just the same as cropped HD footage making it not very wide. You could literally just watch a video filmed with the xtreme and hold up your hands to crop it and watch it that way to see what it'd look like.

I'd also like to add that I've used VX1000s for years and always used auto audio, but that's the only camera I do this with.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's not what that is. That's a HVX/Modded Mk2 and then cropped. HVX or HPX/Xtreme filmed in SD doesn't look very good, it's just the same as cropped HD footage making it not very wide. You could literally just watch a video filmed with the xtreme and hold up your hands to crop it and watch it that way to see what it'd look like.

I'd also like to add that I've used VX1000s for years and always used auto audio, but that's the only camera I do this with.
The second video is cropped HD, the first video is not. The first video doesnt look like normal SD vx footage cuz it was shot on DVC PRO 50 progressive scan, it's standard definition but it shoots a bitrate that is about twice that of what a VX shoots. Also its not interlaced scanning so you dont get those jagged edges you do when you shoot interlaced and run it on a computer. IF you watch both of the videos you can see the HD one that the fisheye is perfectly centered cuz i did that im post production, the standard def video the fisheye is sightly off center and you can see the vig is more pronounced on one side.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

ahh fuck to good to be true.. And yea I have never fucked with the audio on any of my vx's. Just keep it auto and it is completely fine. If its not loud enough while editing bump it the db up

Vx2000Mk1

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks!
[close]

[close]

I'm from boston and nobody calls it that.

Well to be fair, I never stated that's what Bostonians say. Ever since we won superbowl 51, i've just been calling Boston title town ahaha.
Mk1 over bullshit

jwdharris

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

ahh fuck to good to be true.. And yea I have never fucked with the audio on any of my vx's. Just keep it auto and it is completely fine. If its not loud enough while editing bump it the db up

Spoke to some other filmers about the camera, and they're backing up your advice. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Vx2000Mk1

My baby girl. Let's see everyone's setup!  8) And does anyone know the deal with those new mk1 bayos that are for the 2000 and 2100? Is there any difference in size compared to the mk1 bayoring mod or did Century just make their own bayo ring to put on a mk1 to the cameras? :/ I asked vx1000market on IG but he didn't respond...
Mk1 over bullshit

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image

My baby girl. Let's see everyone's setup!  8) And does anyone know the deal with those new mk1 bayos that are for the 2000 and 2100? Is there any difference in size compared to the mk1 bayoring mod or did Century just make their own bayo ring to put on a mk1 to the cameras? :/ I asked vx1000market on IG but he didn't respond...

If I had any other set up it would be 2100 and mk1. Love the vig it gives and it looks so sick. Great set up

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
Hey PALS, a little troubleshooting help?

When I got my camera it hadn't been used in eight years and was malfunctioning the last time it was used, so I brought it to Kerry at Video Electronics to do a tune up/repair job. However when I got it back from him and used the cam for the first time, the footage had bars across it after a few minutes of use, which I now know means one of the heads was malfunctioning, so I sent it back, he repaired it again, and it's functioned pretty alright the past few months while filming at my indoor space, with a few exceptions:

One time two months ago it did the exact same thing (recorded about 2 min of footage and then glitched heavily) BUT I was using some garbage tape that came with my cap-cam from ebay, and when playing the tape back on the cap-cam it immediately gave me a warning saying the heads were dirty. I used a headcleaner on both cams, threw the tape out, and everything was cool for a few weeks so I just chalked it up to a shit tape.

Then as I stated in my last post in this thread, a few weeks ago it did the same thing, heads dropped out/bars across footage, but I just assumed it was because it was fucking cold outside, like 35 degrees and wet.

But yesterday, it glitched again (hadn't used it since previous cold session mentioned above): same thing as always, fresh tape, first few minutes work, then a head drops out and bars pop up :( it was still slightly chilly in the morning, but I dunno, that doesn't seem like the cause in my estimation.

Once I found out it wasn't recording properly, I ran a headcleaner, switched tapes, and then it recorded the rest of the session fine, though it was warmer outside, and I let it record without stopping or shutting it off between tries because I wondered if the switching back and forth has the potential to make it jam easier?

Do I just have shitty tapes, maybe?
A super fickle and/or fucked camera?
Both?
Something else?

These are the only tapes I have used, aside from the one instance mentioned above: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P95FZ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For what it's worth Kerry said he was dubious of them because despite being Sony Premium or whatever, the label says made in Mexico.
But, like I said, many of them have recorded totally fine? Sigh. Any input would be welcome.

Also, maybe worth mentioning, the sound does not work on my VX: meaning it does not beep despite having that setting turned on and there is also no sound when playing back on the VX, though it does record sound fine as it plays back on the cap cam (and, yes, I know you shouldn't play back on the VX but at this point it's kind of necessary for me to check every once in a while because it's malfunctioned so many times and I have wasted literally hours upon hours recording nothing).  

Please help!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 12:47:27 PM by mattchew »

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image

When I got my camera it hadn't been used in eight years and was malfunctioning the last time it was used, so I brought it to Kerry at Video Electronics to do a tune up/repair job. However when I got it back from him and used the cam for the first time, the footage had bars across it after a few minutes of use, which I now know means one of the heads was malfunctioning, so I sent it back, he repaired it again, and it's functioned pretty alright the past few months while filming at my indoor space, with a few exceptions:

One time two months ago it did the exact same thing (recorded about 2 min of footage and then glitched heavily) BUT I was using some garbage tape that came with my cap-cam from ebay, and when playing the tape back on the cap-cam it immediately gave me a warning saying the heads were dirty. I used a headcleaner on both cams, threw the tape out, and everything was cool for a few weeks so I just chalked it up to a shit tape.

Then as I stated in my last post in this thread, a few weeks ago it did the same thing, heads dropped out/bars across footage, but I just assumed it was because it was fucking cold outside, like 35 degrees and wet.

But yesterday, it glitched again (hadn't used it since previous cold session mentioned above): same thing as always, fresh tape, first few minutes work, then a head drops out and bars pop up :( it was still slightly chilly in the morning, but I dunno, that doesn't seem like the cause in my estimation.

Once I found out it wasn't recording properly, I ran a headcleaner, switched tapes, and then it recorded the rest of the session fine, though it was warmer outside, and I let it record without stopping or shutting it off between tries because I wondered if the switching back and forth has the potential to make it jam easier?

Both?
Something else?

These are the only tapes I have used, aside from the one instance mentioned above: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P95FZ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For what it's worth Kerry said he was dubious of them because despite being Sony Premium or whatever, the label says made in Mexico.
But, like I said, many of them have recorded totally fine? Sigh. Any input would be welcome.

Also, maybe worth mentioning, the sound does not work on my VX: meaning it does not beep despite having that setting turned on and there is also no sound when playing back on the VX, though it does record sound fine as it plays back on the cap cam (and, yes, I know you shouldn't play back on the VX but at this point it's kind of necessary for me to check every once in a while because it's malfunctioned so many times and I have wasted literally hours upon hours recording nothing).  

Please help!

This happens to me every once in awhile. I will see that my timecode keeps breaking, the only way i fixed it was switching tapes. It was usually like the first couple minuets on the tape that it was bad. It sucks to toss out a perfectly brand "new" tape that has lots of time on it. But yea I mean it looks like you tried it. Switching tapes. I think its just some shitty tape(s) you got in that batch. Try some different tapes. I know other brands like TK, maxwell. Tons of others. Give those a try. but BEFORE you switch tape brands. CLEAN your heads one more time from switching from sony to another brand. Give that a try and report back. boss
Also best of luck man.

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7

Both?
Something else?

Please help!

i used to have a vx that glitches for the first 8 or 10 mins of tape, and then it would be fine. i would usually just record nothing for the first 8 mins whenever i used a new tape. might be a similar thing

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
Yesterday I fudged up:

I was filming long lens at a spot, then we moved on and I switched to the fisheye for a line and forgot to shut off the steady shot.
SO bummed.
Is there ANY fixing this or am I totally fudged?

It doesn't look horrible in my opinion, but I definitely feel like a fucking fool.
I don't know how I didn't notice this. I feel like I am never going to use steady shot again because of this.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Yesterday I fudged up:

I was filming long lens at a spot, then we moved on and I switched to the fisheye for a line and forgot to shut off the steady shot.
SO bummed.
Is there ANY fixing this or am I totally fudged?

It doesn't look horrible in my opinion, but I definitely feel like a fucking fool.
I don't know how I didn't notice this. I feel like I am never going to use steady shot again because of this.

I think if you put the fake vig an enlarge it, that will cover it up. But that would look even more stupid. Honestly I thought for the longest time it looked horrible and ruined clips. But it really don't at all, fuck it and who cares. I have done it so many times. The way to fix that is have a fisheye vx, and a long lens vx :)

oldgoodburger

put a post-it on your fisheye lens cap that says turn off steady shot