Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102613 times)

CHONGO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #210 on: September 04, 2017, 11:52:37 AM »
If you're a student just order the Creative Cloud.. I pay $20 a month to have any Adobe program I want and it's constantly being updated to the newest version too. It's honestly better than trying to download an illegal copy of FCP/Premiere/AE and possibly fucking up your computer.

Plus you can have it on two computers.. it's pretty fucking sick. I downloaded After Effects, Premiere Pro, Illustrator, and InDesign all within 10-15 minutes.

forgot about that. But yea that is a good way around torrenting haha

ige

• Rep: -74
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #211 on: September 04, 2017, 11:58:47 AM »
Interesting thread! Used to be a daily SLAP lurker and even posted from time to time, but in recent years i haven't really done both. And since this year i haven't owned a normal "skate-cam" to film and throughout the years just didn't film or had the chance to borrow someones VX1000 for some small video projects (skateshop commercials etc.). I'm certainly not going to go into my personal history with filming skateboarding, but let's just say, that as a young man living in eastern Europe i didn't have the means to buy the VX1000 death lens combo myself. At the time, when i was really active with filming (like 2006-2010) the VX setup would have cost about two months median pay in my country. So understandably that kind of luxury item to film skateboarding wasnt really an option. This year my friend told me he had a camera that he didn't use anymore and offered me to use it. It's a Panasonic GS500 and if i remember correctly from the SkatePerception days, it was a pretty good alternative for the VX. His fisheye was scratched so i got the same one in good condition. It's the Opteka 0.3x ultra fisheye HD 2 (cool name). And to my amazement, it's pretty wide and overall is a pretty good cheap setup if you are new to filming or can't find a good VX. I've been having lots of fun filming skateboarding again and since i am older now and have a reasonable income, i might snab a VX1000 with a death lens for spring 2018. We'll see. The only bad things about this Panasonic is garbage audio and the small zoom button. If you are not used to it, then it will only zoom really slowly or really rapidly.

Even though i'm collecting footage for a longer clip, i've done some smaller trip videos. Here's an example of the camera in action. This clip also has some of my friends VX2100 daytime footage, but i think you can easilly differentiate it from mine:

https://vimeo.com/231694413

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #212 on: September 04, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »
Interesting thread! Used to be a daily SLAP lurker and even posted from time to time, but in recent years i haven't really done both. And since this year i haven't owned a normal "skate-cam" to film and throughout the years just didn't film or had the chance to borrow someones VX1000 for some small video projects (skateshop commercials etc.). I'm certainly not going to go into my personal history with filming skateboarding, but let's just say, that as a young man living in eastern Europe i didn't have the means to buy the VX1000 death lens combo myself. At the time, when i was really active with filming (like 2006-2010) the VX setup would have cost about two months median pay in my country. So understandably that kind of luxury item to film skateboarding wasnt really an option. This year my friend told me he had a camera that he didn't use anymore and offered me to use it. It's a Panasonic GS500 and if i remember correctly from the SkatePerception days, it was a pretty good alternative for the VX. His fisheye was scratched so i got the same one in good condition. It's the Opteka 0.3x ultra fisheye HD 2 (cool name). And to my amazement, it's pretty wide and overall is a pretty good cheap setup if you are new to filming or can't find a good VX. I've been having lots of fun filming skateboarding again and since i am older now and have a reasonable income, i might snab a VX1000 with a death lens for spring 2018. We'll see. The only bad things about this Panasonic is garbage audio and the small zoom button. If you are not used to it, then it will only zoom really slowly or really rapidly.

Even though i'm collecting footage for a longer clip, i've done some smaller trip videos. Here's an example of the camera in action. This clip also has some of my friends VX2100 daytime footage, but i think you can easilly differentiate it from mine:

damn, that footage don't look half bad at all. Looks pretty solid. If I were you just lurk ebay for vx1000 all the time. Don't buy the first one you see. Sometimes people put them up and put a "buy it now" for under 500$ and don't know what it is worth.

ige

• Rep: -74
« Reply #213 on: September 04, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

damn, that footage don't look half bad at all. Looks pretty solid. If I were you just lurk ebay for vx1000 all the time. Don't buy the first one you see. Sometimes people put them up and put a "buy it now" for under 500$ and don't know what it is worth.

That's my plan for this winter, lurk ebay from time to time. But since i live in Europe, the shipping cost is a bit higher and some sellers might be spooked by the notion of trying to ship something internationally. Ofcourse there's also an option to get the European native PAL VX, but from my lurkings they are pretty hard to come by that arent overpriced. I've understood from this thread, that the vx1000market guy sells his stuff overpriced as well, but isn't the couple of extra bucks worth it for the peace of mind? Seems like he knows how to properly maintain and refurbish the VX. As you can guess if something happens to a VX in Europe then its really time and money consuming to get it repaired in the good 'ole States. Funny enough the VX2100's go for alot cheaper. My Latvian friend got his from like 250? and one of my other friends bought one while living in Australia for roughly the same ammount of money.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
That's my plan for this winter, lurk ebay from time to time. But since i live in Europe, the shipping cost is a bit higher and some sellers might be spooked by the notion of trying to ship something internationally. Ofcourse there's also an option to get the European native PAL VX, but from my lurkings they are pretty hard to come by that arent overpriced. I've understood from this thread, that the vx1000market guy sells his stuff overpriced as well, but isn't the couple of extra bucks worth it for the peace of mind? Seems like he knows how to properly maintain and refurbish the VX. As you can guess if something happens to a VX in Europe then its really time and money consuming to get it repaired in the good 'ole States. Funny enough the VX2100's go for alot cheaper. My Latvian friend got his from like 250? and one of my other friends bought one while living in Australia for roughly the same ammount of money.

Yea he does sell some of his stuff overpriced. I mean he does good work just weird stuff happened during the process of fixing my vx. I have a few vx's back home at my parents house (about 6) and a few of them are simple fixes like new mic ribbon cable, and a viewfinder cable. My buddy at our shop fixes them on the side. I been trying to get rid of a few. I have a Japanese one that JUST needs a new mic ribbon cable. If your interested? I will get it fixed of course. Ill cut you a good deal, if anything. PM me 

jwdharris

• Rep: -4
    • www.vimeo.com/jwdharris avatar image
« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2017, 02:21:15 PM »
You guys need to check out @vx_doc. He's a solid guy who knows what he's doing.

I'm from Bristol, where he's based and I bought two absolutely mint condition VX1000s from him for ?500!
Both are amazing, and have had no trouble whatsoever... one even had the Sony warranty stickers still on it.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2017, 07:30:35 AM »
Cross-posting this from a few different threads, just hoping some people will check it out: here's my second edit!

Illegal Freedom Volume Two: "Worship"
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2017, 03:12:09 PM »
Has anyone ever put an mk1 bayo on a vx2000 without buying the bayo ring? Can you just remove the mk1's bayo and use screw on some lens adapters and screw it onto a 2000?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2017, 07:36:36 PM »
Has anyone ever put an mk1 bayo on a vx2000 without buying the bayo ring? Can you just remove the mk1's bayo and use screw on some lens adapters and screw it onto a 2000?

I don't believe that is possible. The vx1000 and vx2000 bayo is different. You can can buy a screw mk1 and do that.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2017, 09:32:56 PM »
Go to the likosto and buy a 40 of mickeys.

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2017, 09:33:48 PM »
pelican cases are the #1 rated protective casings in the film industry.

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

midgebones

« Reply #221 on: December 08, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »
Don't think I've posted this up here yet, but I made a tutorial earlier this year for how to swap out a Century MK1 front lens element. Makes a huge difference for those close knicks and hits that can scratch the shit out of these precious gems  :'(

I got my front lens element from the guy @vx1000_market on Instagram for $300, but you can order them from Century directly for $600 (maybe more now unfortunately).

VX1/MK1 forever <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2SUDumky7M
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:11:47 AM by midgebones »

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #222 on: December 08, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »
if anyone is interested I got a recently serviced vx1000 that I am trying to trade for a hpx170/hvx200.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #223 on: December 08, 2017, 04:04:21 PM »
cool thread!

I have a VX2100 and a Century MkII bayonet mount I'm interested in selling, if anyone's interested. Both are good condition, FireWire port still works, etc.

When you replaced that front element, has it come loose since then? I asked Schneider/Century about disassembly and they said there is a light adhesive they put on the front ring or something...

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #224 on: December 08, 2017, 04:06:59 PM »
Don't think I've posted this up here yet, but I made a tutorial earlier this year for how to swap out a Century MK1 front lens element. Makes a huge difference for those close knicks and hits that can scratch the shit out of these precious gems  :'(

I got my front lens element from the guy @vx1000_market on Instagram for $300, but you can order them from Century directly for $600 (maybe more now unfortunately).

VX1/MK1 forever <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2SUDumky7M

I spoke with Schneider/Century in June and they were selling the front element for $295...

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/07/13/tracing-history-skateboardings-most-famous-camera/

article is pretty cool. lots of good insights
from the vx1k filming pioneers and those
that still hold it down.  yet, i am a little bit
surprised that there's neither french fred
nor flip sorry or éS menikmati mentioned

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/07/13/tracing-history-skateboardings-most-famous-camera/

sick they mentioned gx1000, and the sabotage series. And the mentioned the almighty Kerry from VE!

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
Expand Quote

[close]

sick they mentioned gx1000, and the sabotage series. And the mentioned the almighty Kerry from VE!
Kerry is the best, he's fixing my smoked power board on my vx1000 as we speak.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yea he will go down in the books. Legend for sure

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Someone needs to apprentice under him eventually so we can keep carrying the torch.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Someone needs to apprentice under him eventually so we can keep carrying the torch.

smart idea. Someone needs to carry on his legacy

clintendo

• Rep: 24
I'm using HVX's these days, but something I've always been curious about is why VX lovers haven't been using the p150's? I'll be honest in saying I don't know much about the differences in the camera despite the phyisically obvious ones, but its crazy how much cheaper the mint P150's come up for sale than thrashed out VX's...

Also chasing a Mk2 if anyones feeling like getting rid of one, HVX mount would be ideal but not necessary for purchase

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
I'm using HVX's these days, but something I've always been curious about is why VX lovers haven't been using the p150's? I'll be honest in saying I don't know much about the differences in the camera despite the phyisically obvious ones, but its crazy how much cheaper the mint P150's come up for sale than thrashed out VX's...

Also chasing a Mk2 if anyones feeling like getting rid of one, HVX mount would be ideal but not necessary for purchase

honestly if you are going to film mini dv 4:3 I wouldn't even bother with anything besides a vx.
I also just picked up a hvx.

clintendo

• Rep: 24
Expand Quote

[close]

honestly if you are going to film mini dv 4:3 I wouldn't even bother with anything besides a vx.
I also just picked up a hvx.

I'm not planning on filming a lot 4:3 with them because of that exact point you made, but this reminds me, I also need more P2 cards if people are willing to let them go...

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

smart idea. Someone needs to carry on his legacy
I would just love to just sit and watch for a couple days and spend the rest of a week or two learning repairs. It would be so worth it. I can't wait for the day I can actually reprogram the boards myself, shit would be so rewarding.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
anybody got the know on how to best buy
a MK1 if located in european union? used?
on ebay? on amazon? & how about tariffs?

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
anybody got the know on how to best buy
a MK1 if located in european union? used?
on ebay? on amazon? & how about tariffs?
If you're not ordering it from century hit up deathlens fisheye sales on Instagram, he hooked me up with a mint mk1 and bayos for vx1000 and 2100 if I'm in a pinch. Can't recommend that dude enough, he's always reliable, helpful and super nice.

Statebird

• Rep: 46
anyone have experience audio drop outs with vx1000? and how to solve?

footage is perfectly fine no glitches but the audio comes in and out randomly. i'm usually able to grab audio from a different try to cut/paste around the issue but its getting pretty annoying. some sessions there will be no issue and another it gets pretty bad. very sporadic.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO

footage is perfectly fine no glitches but the audio comes in and out randomly. i'm usually able to grab audio from a different try to cut/paste around the issue but its getting pretty annoying. some sessions there will be no issue and another it gets pretty bad. very sporadic.

I had this with my Jap VX1 and ended up just buying another VX1.

Ask Kerry about it on SP?  Have you tried cleaning the heads? Might be something with the board, but I might be wrong.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal

I noticed that when I capture off of batteries those audio drop outs start to happen for me, some batteries last til 20% or sometimes like 60% before it happens. Try using an a.c. adapter when capturing the footy. Once I got one I haven't had any issues after, and before it was happening almost every 5 mins.