Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102627 times)

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #270 on: December 31, 2018, 12:11:41 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biAT2WO573Q

Wondering if anyone on here has any experience with one of these?

Holy shit.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #271 on: December 31, 2018, 01:11:20 PM »
Expand Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biAT2WO573Q

Wondering if anyone on here has any experience with one of these?
[close]

Holy shit.

You gotta carry that thing around while you film.
Update - RSS Board is toast.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
Decided to bump because I have a few questions.

1 - not as major - could glitching on the tape as well as noticing the tape length changing through the viewfinder while be a result of the cold or is my camera just jacked permanently now because of the cold?
(Ie - 28 mins left, then 30, then 35 when there’s actually 14mins left according to the actual tape in my capture camera.)

Which leads me to the initial problem I was going to post about..

So, I’ve been using a Canon HV20 as a capture camera for fucking ever. Now it’s not working. Nothing has changed. This all changed, and it may be a coincidence but it was the day after going to The Pirate Bay for the first time in forfuckingever. My VX connects to the compute fine (I get the notification sound), but I am NOT using that to capture.

Fuck that.

So, I decided to try old cameras I haven’t gotten around to selling to make sure it’s the HV20’s fault. It’s not. I connected to a TRV and a GL2 - nothing. I’m not very computer literate and every source I’ve found while googling is telling me to rollback the IEEE 1394 driver to a legacy driver - which I did. Nothing. I read that someone had this issue after updating QuickTime so I uninstalled QuickTime. Didn’t work.
Help me Obi Wans of Slap and my apologies if these are dumb questions.

Spunkchild

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
  • Big gal
I've been getting glitches on import using a mac and firewire to thunderbolt conversion. Not really glitches it just will cut during the import to black, cut the clip early, and continue to import and do this over and over again. It doesnt happen all the time and my capture camera doesnt show any breaks in action on play back, any thoughts?
I have bad taste and I smell like fetta cheese

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
I've been getting glitches on import using a mac and firewire to thunderbolt conversion. Not really glitches it just will cut during the import to black, cut the clip early, and continue to import and do this over and over again. It doesnt happen all the time and my capture camera doesnt show any breaks in action on play back, any thoughts?
Downgrade and find a 2012 macbook pro. That's the last year they put firewire on there. I had similar issues until I said fuck it and found one.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
I have a 2012 MacBook and I know that once that thing goes, I’ll be out of the VX game. I think it’s the absolute best camera that has ever existed to document our culture, but man is it a fucking hassle to use this shit in 2019.

It’ll be interesting to see how much longer folks filming on the VX lasts. Hard to imagine it going another ten, fifteen years tops due to technological obsolescence.

I suppose that tapeless modification posted above could be a game changer if someone can produce a stable mount for it?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:00:15 PM by mattchew »
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
Im assuming your capturing in premiere cc? you can change the settings so that it captures dropped frames and that sometimes helps. ive also randomly had luck capturing in imovie or final cut and getting past glitches. There are also DVR recorders you can find on ebay for around $20 that you can hookup to a computer, harddrive, phone, etc. and record live from the cameras RGB output digitally.

Also have had issues with thunderboldt and recognizing a capture device, and then finally when you get it to work its a fucking game of not budging the cord/camera.....

just finshed a VX full length in december and have converted to the dark side for my next project...  :'(
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:13:54 PM by gnidraobetaks »

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Im assuming your capturing in premiere cc? you can change the settings so that it captures dropped frames and that sometimes helps. ive also randomly had luck capturing in imovie or final cut and getting past glitches. There are also DVR recorders you can find on ebay for around $20 that you can hookup to a computer, harddrive, phone, etc. and record live from the cameras RGB output digitally.

Also have had issues with thunderboldt and recognizing a capture device, and then finally when you get it to work its a fucking game of not budging the cord/camera.....

just finshed a VX full length in december and have converted to the dark side for my next project...  :'(

I have done the same. If premiere was fucking up for capturing I would end up using Imovie. That would usually get me past the weird glitches. 

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
i capture in a cracked version of scenalyzer
it is pretty basic but i have not had glitches.

i still have to wake up my vx from this winter's
hibernation. hope it's still going strong. always
a little gamble with that old fucker but worth it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 02:24:08 AM by somethingmustbreaknow »

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000
I've got a question I'm hoping someone here might be able to answer...

I'm a FCPx user, but interested in the process of upscaling SD vx footage in Premiere Pro/FCPx/Compressor/etc... whatever will make it work.

I'm including an example of a crispy 720p vx upload as well as one of my own if you want to see the difference I'm talking about, although I'm sure you know what I mean if you're here.

http://youtu.be/A-bM40TMzNQ (my footage)

http://youtu.be/V5Cq59_GQn4 (crispy example)

My question is essentially how to achieve the 720p vx footage. Methods I've tried include:

1) creating a project in native SD dimensions (NTSC for me - so 640x480) and exporting as 960x720 (to preserve aspect ratio)

2) creating a custom project with 960x720 (rec.601 audio and 29.97 frame rate) and exporting that

3) taking a native 640x480 project, exporting natively, and then upscaling with Compressor/Media Encoder

If you have any experience doing this and maybe I'm missing something obvious, I'd sure love the help.
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

notcool

put a small cube of styrofoam inbetween the mic and the camera. i don't know why but my friend does it and i've never asked him.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
put a small cube of styrofoam inbetween the mic and the camera. i don't know why but my friend does it and i've never asked him.
It prevents mic sag, foolio.

doyle

• Rep: 210
My question is essentially how to achieve the 720p vx footage. Methods I've tried include:

1) creating a project in native SD dimensions (NTSC for me - so 640x480) and exporting as 960x720 (to preserve aspect ratio)

2) creating a custom project with 960x720 (rec.601 audio and 29.97 frame rate) and exporting that

3) taking a native 640x480 project, exporting natively, and then upscaling with Compressor/Media Encoder

If you have any experience doing this and maybe I'm missing something obvious, I'd sure love the help.

I don't think there would be too much difference in any of those methods. The only thing for #3 would be to make sure you're exporting full quality before upscaling. I've always done #2, just using a 960 x 720 sequence and scaling up the footage during editing. Also, it's probably obvious, but make sure you deinterlace.

notcool

Expand Quote
[close]
It prevents mic sag, foolio.
i knew that but wasnt positive

ShredLaw

• Rep: -3
The sweatshirt idea is terrible. Those mics are notorious for breaking off like a kit kat bar

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
The sweatshirt idea is terrible. Those mics are notorious for breaking off like a kit kat bar
Whatever Styrofoam Kerry is using is the fucking best. Those white blocks stay so strong. I've got them on both of mine.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
One thing that you can try to get more specific info about why your 1394 driver failed (if thats even the issue), is by going to your start menu, and typing "event". You should see the system tool "Event Viewer". If you can't find it, the full name is "eventvwr.msc" depending on your windows version.

Once you open this program you want to click "windows logs" then "system" on the left side. It will take awhile to load. Now click "Save all events" on the right side. Save your file. Now click "clear log" on the right side. Now that your log is blank, restart your computer. Once it reboots, connect your HV20, or whatever other ones you want to try. Do whatever else has broken in your workflow.

Come back to event viewer, click again on windows logs, and system, and now you can see what went wrong since you rebooted and did your workflow. You're going to have to scroll through and just manually read the stuff, but 99% of the time windows will be reporting exactly what failed. You can at least use this new context you have about your issue to search for the correct fix.

If you are on a Mac --> they have similar tool called "Console", but I am not familiar with it. It basically does the exact same thing though.

Thanks to you and the google worm hole I fell down, I found out I had a virus hidden in the registry of my pc and got rid of it buuuut it still doesn’t seem to work. I need to go through and check every driver or something and possibly replace the FireWire card. Either way. Thanks for the help.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
I'm a FCPx user
[close]

lol
He'll find the Adobe way soon enough. They always do.

vx1k

• Rep: 1
Yo guys i'm in the process of making a website that will be a resource for people still using/want to start using a vx1000. Basically giving people a resource on how/where to repair their vx, where to buy a vx's and mk1's, explaining the CP settings, etc.

Im looking for good photos/illustrations/art of VX1's to use on the page. If you would like your photos or work credited, im going to be including a contributors section on the website giving whoever wants to submit anything their rightful credit.

Also if anyone is bored enough, i would be happy to take suggestions on other things worth including on the page. I already have a secure domain name purchased so its gone past the stage of just an idea. Any submissions are appreciated, i'm trying to avoid using anything without permission!

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
u aint got your own vx to shoot photos of?

vx1k

The best photo camera i have is an iPhone. Plus i'm not looking for photos of a vx sitting in a living room.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

The best photo camera i have is an iPhone. Plus i'm not looking for photos of a vx sitting in a living room.
Bashed this out a few days ago doodling on the Wacom. You dig?
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu-MbcMlfds/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=un3vhl3a9jiw
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:27:26 PM by Szechuan »

vx1k

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Bashed this out a few days ago doodling on the Wacom. You dig?
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu-MbcMlfds/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=un3vhl3a9jiw

This is the kinda stuff I’m looking for, thank you!

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
gnarred. thanks for digging that up.
would also gnar the original author.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
dug deep into the SP

Garth Marenghi

4. Screw on your damn death lens right: a lot of shots you can see little corners or the lens on the bottom and top. This is because the filmer hasnt read the directions to his century optics piece. Screw it on right , it has another knob just so you can adjust where the side panels are.

This is slightly misleading if the "little corners" refer to vignetting. It's camera specific and despite how much you twist and turn your (screw-on or bayonet mount) fisheye, they do not go away.

There is no side panel knob for adjusting, unless you're using a Century baby death or a mk2 with a lens hood. Which would be an odd choice considering they do not fit the VX1000 properly.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
amend 11. "11. Why Im anti reviewing the footage after the trick: why because those skateboarders who want to watch their stuff over and over again never remember to rewind the fucking tape. and usually your going to miss out on footage good or better while your friends view the foot. the fuckin heads bro. So I say wait till we are in the car going to the next spot wait until its on the capture cam/pc.

Little Debbie

i'm sorta torn on the internal ND filter. some filmers I know like to use the ND most of the time (I live in NM and it's often very bright an sunny, especially filming in ditches) and bring shutter speed down to like 250 or 500, while I prefer to not use the ND filter (I think it makes colors look bleh) and go for 1/2000 and F 9.6 or 11.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
Dude gave props to the 2000 idk if we can fully trust this.

Don’t let anyone tell you how to film unless it’s general advice or you’re learning.