Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102602 times)

CHONGO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Im having a random problem with my zoom right now. It worked normal until today when I was filming and the longlens zoom stopped working. It didnt zoom in or out at all and then I took the cassette and battery  Off and put them back and it helped. But when I turned the camera on next time it did the same again and now the zooming bar on the screen used to be bigger than it is now. Does anyone whats going on?  :o

open up your back door on your vx and see if your on "zoom" or "overlap" or try messing with those two options. Hopefully it isn't a ribbon cable problem. Best of luck

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 56
Expand Quote
Im having a random problem with my zoom right now. It worked normal until today when I was filming and the longlens zoom stopped working. It didnt zoom in or out at all and then I took the cassette and battery  Off and put them back and it helped. But when I turned the camera on next time it did the same again and now the zooming bar on the screen used to be bigger than it is now. Does anyone whats going on?  :o
[close]

open up your back door on your vx and see if your on "zoom" or "overlap" or try messing with those two options. Hopefully it isn't a ribbon cable problem. Best of luck

Thanks im gonna try this. I just replaced the ribbon cable couple of months ago because it went all black, BUT I didnt buy a new one because I got another vx that has some issues and took it there. Dont know if that has anything to do with it. Also replaced my self sooo...
Didnt know that the ribbon cable also affects the zoom  :-[
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

matureoftheocean

Expand Quote
[close]

It was on overlap and now it works, thanks!!

ironstringbean

• Rep: 0
Having issues off and on lately with my vx1000 having glitches in the footage. playback doesn't work on it so i am unable to use my head cleaning tape. any ideas on how to fix this?

I use the same capture camera to capture vx2000 footage and that comes out fine but i prefer the vx1000
2 scoops of cheddar, 1 scoop of onions

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
not sure how practical or easy it'd be but i presume you could open it (probably the hardest part), good blast of compressed air maybe then use qtips and head cleaner solution (or maybe isopropyl alcohol) to clean the heads off?

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Having issues off and on lately with my vx1000 having glitches in the footage. playback doesn't work on it so i am unable to use my head cleaning tape. any ideas on how to fix this?

I use the same capture camera to capture vx2000 footage and that comes out fine but i prefer the vx1000
Have you tried using the playback preview buttons on top? You don't have to switch to playback mode to use them.

ironstringbean

Expand Quote

[close]
Have you tried using the playback preview buttons on top? You don't have to switch to playback mode to use them.

I admit that in 10 years of owning this thing that I never knew what those buttons did. Gave it a try so i'll take it out when i skate later and see how it works. Thanks!
2 scoops of cheddar, 1 scoop of onions

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
did anyone check out the theories VX bag? it says its made for the vx1000 but i fit my 2000 in there perfect

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxBJf8jBMuu/
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

nooky

• Rep: 9
did anyone check out the theories VX bag? it says its made for the vx1000 but i fit my 2000 in there perfect

do you think this could fit my hmc150?
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

doyle

• Rep: 210
Expand Quote

[close]

do you think this could fit my hmc150?

No

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568

Saw that, it's rad and reminded me of the TBPR filmer kit when it came out complete with gloves, soft wheels and caution tape to prevent pedestrians from getting in the way:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbMZrM6Aof9/

Then again they've always had the best VX-inspired stuff:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSgEtlYAc3t/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSQx6tyAu1i/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbhJxLhAiqu/

matureoftheocean

How you guys import from firewire to laptop computer?
My old pc broke down and it had the firewire route and now I bought a New laptop and it only has usb3 ports. Is It even possible to connect the firewire to laptop? It dont have the pci card system so no luck there..

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
How you guys import from firewire to laptop computer?
My old pc broke down and it had the firewire route and now I bought a New laptop and it only has usb3 ports. Is It even possible to connect the firewire to laptop? It dont have the pci card system so no luck there..

It is possible just not with any new laptop on the market. Honestly your best bet is to buy a older desktop again, or an older MacBook. I bought a 2009 MacBook for 90$ just to use to capture on it.
Don’t even bother trying to use an adapter that you see on amazon. They DO not work.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style

So a VX2100 will fit too ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #344 on: September 23, 2019, 12:45:36 PM »
Time for a bump. Any tips for us idiots trying to export a VX video so that YouTube doesn't absolutely destroy the quality?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #345 on: September 23, 2019, 02:43:00 PM »
Time for a bump. Any tips for us idiots trying to export a VX video so that YouTube doesn't absolutely destroy the quality?
Part of the problem is you're taking interlaced footage and converting it to a progressive scan format, even interlaced HD looks bad on a computer. I put VX footage into and HD timeline and you can get a much better look on youtube, also if you have access to an HD deck and your software allows you to upload standard def in HD it looks a lot better. Red Giant used to have a few software solutions to make standard def look better, check their site.

tranny in the streets

• Rep: 12
  • Gronk
« Reply #346 on: September 23, 2019, 11:39:25 PM »
I can't fucking find any batteries at all where I live, and my current one lasts like 20 minutes. I don't bring my VX out anymore since it's not really worth it to lug around a backpack all day full of camera gear when you can only use it for 20 minutes.

None of the options I've found off Amazon can be shipped to my country (in South East Asia) so if anyone knows anyone or someone willing to sell their extra batteries to me HMU. From what I know, only the NP-F730 works. Not even the 750, and I've been to multiple digital malls around here and they all say 'good luck finding that shit' pretty much. It's depressing man!

Garth Marenghi

« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:42:42 AM by Garth Marenghi »

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #348 on: September 24, 2019, 12:32:22 AM »
i bought my replica batteries at ebay.
maybe this works for your area too?

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #349 on: September 24, 2019, 12:47:27 AM »

This seller seems to have suitable np-f730 / 4200 mAh batteries:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/silicon_electronics_parts?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

jwdharris

• Rep: -4
    • www.vimeo.com/jwdharris avatar image
« Reply #350 on: September 24, 2019, 01:39:46 AM »
I've had such trouble getting as many VX1 batteries as I can over the last year or so in the UK.

I got in touch with a place I used to get them from and said that their supplier has stopped manufacturing them.

These batteries are your next best bet if you can't find any of the bigger ones: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NP-F550-Rechargeable-Battery-NP-F330-NP-F530/dp/B00L9QKQ4E

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #351 on: September 24, 2019, 04:27:39 AM »
It isn't VX but we've filmed some shit on an XM1e (eu variant of the gl1) - wondering what file format to export from in Sony Vegas? Obviously keep res, frame rate and pixel aspect ratio the same, just unsure what file format to use. I'm guessing mp4 is out the window and it'll probably be avi, mov, mpg? Also, settings related to deinterlacing and all that stuff - don't want any of that choppy frame blending, whats best for that? Final product will probably just be uploaded to youtube/vimeo etc.

Cheers fellas.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #352 on: September 24, 2019, 04:46:23 AM »
It isn't VX but we've filmed some shit on an XM1e (eu variant of the gl1) - wondering what file format to export from in Sony Vegas? Obviously keep res, frame rate and pixel aspect ratio the same, just unsure what file format to use. I'm guessing mp4 is out the window and it'll probably be avi, mov, mpg? Also, settings related to deinterlacing and all that stuff - don't want any of that choppy frame blending, whats best for that? Final product will probably just be uploaded to youtube/vimeo etc.

Cheers fellas.
Never used it, but I'm assuming Vegas has a match media settings / same as source option in the export settings?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: September 24, 2019, 04:51:50 AM »
It'll do that yeah, but it doesn't specify a specific file format.

tranny in the streets

• Rep: 12
  • Gronk
« Reply #354 on: September 24, 2019, 07:01:45 PM »
Aliexpress? Not sure if the link works but:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808074762.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5f82368fSqSXPS&algo_pvid=d235d641-1584-4d15-b661-8fa3cea22ded&algo_expid=d235d641-1584-4d15-b661-8fa3cea22ded-30&btsid=67c9911a-4521-4c93-aa18-b6ca21a91a66&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3,searchweb201603_53

I have no personal experience of the aforementioned batteries but it's hard to find the og infolithium ones for a reasonable price.

I can't believe I've never checked Aliexpress lol. I just bought some of those and hopefully they're not shitty as hell. Fingers crossed, but thank you so much for helping me out! You guys are all awesome.

Expand Quote
[close]

This seller seems to have suitable np-f730 / 4200 mAh batteries:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/silicon_electronics_parts?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Yo, thanks man! I ordered one to try it out, but god damn 28 October ETA. Still, don't know how I missed this listing. Appreciate it a lot!

realriis

« Reply #355 on: September 28, 2019, 06:53:59 PM »

big bump, same shit here. excuse my formatting, just created an account, but having a real hard time finding good info on how to avoid the dreaded youtube compression. would upscaling the quality from match source to like 1080 help? heres my footy btw (i know, not skating, im a bit unorthodox) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adQl_rdLOCQ&lc=z23fvvnqtqv5evzpj04t1aokg1kw1nqzwbqcaechjle1bk0h00410

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #356 on: November 26, 2019, 01:50:19 AM »
Hey pals, I'm gonna need your advises for some filming technique.
I had recently some issues with focusing during long lens shots.

I have to say that I was using autofocus, as I always do for long lens shots.

I was filming that big drop from the bottom, and was quite far from the skater.
I started the shot zoomed in at almost max on the skater, and was zooming out as he dropped the bank.

When the skater was on top of the bank, the focus was good, but during the drop as I zoomed out, the footage was out of focus, and then when the drop was over the camera managed to get the focus back.

The question is :
How can I shoot this kind of situation with manual focusing ?
If I manual focus when zoomed in, will the skater stay in focus as I zoom out and he gets closer to me ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #357 on: November 26, 2019, 02:47:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

big bump, same shit here. excuse my formatting, just created an account, but having a real hard time finding good info on how to avoid the dreaded youtube compression. would upscaling the quality from match source to like 1080 help? heres my footy btw (i know, not skating, im a bit unorthodox) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adQl_rdLOCQ&lc=z23fvvnqtqv5evzpj04t1aokg1kw1nqzwbqcaechjle1bk0h00410

Upscale to 1440x1080. I don’t use VX but do shoot old valve cameras to DV tape and upscaling in Adobe Media Encoder works really well.

Statebird

• Rep: 46
« Reply #358 on: November 26, 2019, 06:46:14 AM »

I started the shot zoomed in at almost max on the skater, and was zooming out as he dropped the bank.

When the skater was on top of the bank, the focus was good, but during the drop as I zoomed out, the footage was out of focus, and then when the drop was over the camera managed to get the focus back.

The question is :
If I manual focus when zoomed in, will the skater stay in focus as I zoom out and he gets closer to me ?

I also use auto when longlens, keeping the shutter and f stop high helps as well as having good light to do so

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #359 on: November 26, 2019, 07:30:34 AM »

The question is :
are you using an interchangeable lens camera?
generally, the lenses available for them are for still photography, where focus while zooming isn't really an issue. not good for zooming while recording video. cinema lenses have this capability, but are pricey, huge and not designed to be used by a single person
if you're using a camcorder, do what the poster above said