Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102600 times)

CHONGO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #540 on: November 05, 2020, 11:39:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody aware of a rough going rate for an MK1 century optic lens?
[close]

See them going for upwards of $1000 these days on Ig accounts like VX1000MARKET. even saw one on ebay for $2000 lmao

wouldn't send another dollar to vxKookmarket
Yea prices of MK1's are around 1200+

Baklazanxd

• Rep: 1
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #541 on: November 13, 2020, 10:50:49 AM »
Hi, so my repaired vx1000 (the tape wouldn't eject), arrived yesterday and it was fully working with no problems.
Today I tried to film something and after I've inserted the battery into the VX and tried turning it on it just beeped and showed a full battery icon but nothing else worked.
First thing I thought was that the temperature was a bit too cold for the camera (it was around 7°C = 44.6°F).
But when I came back home and waited for it to get to room temperature it still wouldn't turn on :(.
I've tried multiple batteries and nothing helped. Any suggestions?

also sorry for my english, I'm from Slovakia

pj chad

• Rep: 7
« Reply #542 on: November 13, 2020, 06:23:53 PM »
Hi, so my repaired vx1000 (the tape wouldn't eject), arrived yesterday and it was fully working with no problems.
Today I tried to film something and after I've inserted the battery into the VX and tried turning it on it just beeped and showed a full battery icon but nothing else worked.
First thing I thought was that the temperature was a bit too cold for the camera (it was around 7°C = 44.6°F).
But when I came back home and waited for it to get to room temperature it still wouldn't turn on :(.

That's rough. Sorry to hear. VX1000's are notorious for hating cold weather. It's a long shot, but is your VX on autolock (switch below the power)? Are you able to see a picture through the viewfinder, or is it black? Are you able to change the program type, shutter, aperature, white balance? Does anything show on the rear door when you try to change any of these settings?

Baklazanxd

• Rep: 1
« Reply #543 on: November 14, 2020, 02:43:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's rough. Sorry to hear. VX1000's are notorious for hating cold weather. It's a long shot, but is your VX on autolock (switch below the power)? Are you able to see a picture through the viewfinder, or is it black? Are you able to change the program type, shutter, aperature, white balance? Does anything show on the rear door when you try to change any of these settings?

It's on manual. There's no picture, just the battery indicator. I can change the program type, shutter speed, white balance, but not the aperature. Yes the icons pop up but I don't think it does anything, also the menu doesn't work.

I guess I'll be sending it back for another repair.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #544 on: November 17, 2020, 05:25:42 AM »
My friend's board smashed into my fisheye this week-end, poping of the front of the VAP unit and scratching my brand new MKI when it hit the ground. I feel so bad because I have a Tadashi filter and it was in my bag but I just didn't put it on...

Do you guys know if Century is still selling front elements ?

Also, I glued my VAP unit back after removing the front lens and let it dry overnight with my camera standing vertically.
Still, there was a little fog in the inner lens this morning, so I didn't touch and let it until get to work.

If I fucked it up, is there any way to fix this ?

Thanks for your help, I feel like a total noob...

Edit: pictures for reference

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 05:34:35 AM by Thomas »
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #545 on: November 17, 2020, 06:12:01 AM »
Dang, sorry to hear. I've always heard never to use any glue on broken lens mounts for that exact reason (glue causing foggy internal lenses) and to always use electrical tape instead. I'm not sure if it's fixable honestly, but I would suggest hitting up Video Electronics or a similar repair place for their insight on that one. You could also just try breaking it where the glue is and cleaning it yourself.

As far as the lens goes, I believe Century is only replacing front elements themselves, and charging a bunch for the labour on top of the glass itself. I think I read on here it was something like $600 or $800 for that, but honestly it's probably worth it since once they're out of stock it'll be impossible to fix it.

bataaard

• Rep: 40
« Reply #546 on: November 17, 2020, 11:32:54 AM »
it depends of the type of glue you use and the quantity.

I always used gorilla glue in small quantities and never had a problem. It's better to glue your bayo in 2 or 3 times to avoid too much fume. I even glue the bayo part of the vx before it's even broken to make sure it doesn't fall.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:44:36 AM by bataaard »

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #547 on: November 19, 2020, 04:20:29 PM »
Ahhh shit man. I always used hot glue so that it doesn't get fumes on the lens

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #548 on: November 19, 2020, 11:59:43 PM »
Alright so I sent my camera to VX doc, I hope he will be able to fix it.

As for the fisheye, Century sent me a service form for repair.
The front element is 295$ and the labor rate is 150$/hour...

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #549 on: November 20, 2020, 04:47:36 AM »

damn pricy. Surprised they are still doing front elements.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #550 on: November 20, 2020, 05:41:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They do but you cannot buy them as spare parts: you have to send your lens for repair.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #551 on: November 20, 2020, 06:26:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They do but you cannot buy them as spare parts: you have to send your lens for repair.

I wonder why you have to send in the lens for repair since replacing the front element is easy? Do they only have a low quantity so they want to prevent resellers like vx1000market from buying them all and doing an extreme markup. Take away liability from us DIYers from damaging the lens further? Or simply to milk some extra cash by charging alot for them repair it themselves? Maybe a combination of all?

Also, if you send in a repair to replace the front element, do they send the scratched one back with the new or do they keep it?

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #552 on: November 20, 2020, 06:55:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I wonder why you have to send in the lens for repair since replacing the front element is easy? Do they only have a low quantity so they want to prevent resellers like vx1000market from buying them all and doing an extreme markup. Take away liability from us DIYers from damaging the lens further? Or simply to milk some extra cash by charging alot for them repair it themselves? Maybe a combination of all?

Also, if you send in a repair to replace the front element, do they send the scratched one back with the new or do they keep it?

That is actually a good question !
I'm still not sure what to do with my lens...
Regarding the price, I don't think there will be better deal for a brand new front element.
@vx_fisheye_sales had one last week, and someone offered him 950$ for it...

This is what they told me :
Hello Thomas,

Yes, we do need the lens to be sent in for repair. Please find our service form attached for you to complete and ship with your lens in need of service. Please ship the lens along with this form to 640 South Glenwood Place, Burbank, CA 91506.

We will assess the lens and provide you a quote for the repair. Just for your information, our labor rate is $150/hour, and parts needed are to be determined. Once approved we will be able to provide an estimated date. We only have a few elements left for servicing lenses, please send your fisheye in as son as possible. The element is $295.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Maral Mirzayan
Business Operations Manager
Schneider Optics, Inc.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #553 on: November 20, 2020, 07:47:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Regarding the price, I don't think there will be better deal for a brand new front element.

Expand Quote
Hello Thomas,

Yes, we do need the lens to be sent in for repair. Please find our service form attached for you to complete and ship with your lens in need of service. Please ship the lens along with this form to 640 South Glenwood Place, Burbank, CA 91506.

We will assess the lens and provide you a quote for the repair. Just for your information, our labor rate is $150/hour, and parts needed are to be determined. Once approved we will be able to provide an estimated date. We only have a few elements left for servicing lenses, please send your fisheye in as son as possible. The element is $295.

Thank you,

Maral Mirzayan
Schneider Optics, Inc.
[close]

If they sent back the old front element then you can use it as a backup if it's not completely destroyed. I'd feel robbed if they kept it. Paying $800+ for the lens and an additional couple hundred bucks to replace a part of it.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #554 on: November 21, 2020, 06:19:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Hello Thomas,

Thank you,

Maral Mirzayan
Schneider Optics, Inc.
[close]
[close]

If they sent back the old front element then you can use it as a backup if it's not completely destroyed. I'd feel robbed if they kept it. Paying $800+ for the lens and an additional couple hundred bucks to replace a part of it.

Thats a good question. You got me wondering now if they do keep it or not?

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #555 on: November 22, 2020, 12:41:19 AM »
They just told me that they will send me the old front element back along with the repaired fisheye.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #556 on: November 22, 2020, 06:25:27 AM »
They just told me that they will send me the old front element back along with the repaired fisheye.

Okay that makes more sense.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #557 on: November 22, 2020, 08:03:42 PM »
Dang, sorry to hear. I've always heard never to use any glue on broken lens mounts for that exact reason (glue causing foggy internal lenses) and to always use electrical tape instead.

I took a break from filming for 8 years and let a buddy use my VX for a few of those years. Long story short - the front of the camera got ripped off and he glued it back on resulting in the foggy internal lenses you mentioned. I didn't care at the time because I was totally over filming, but now that I'm into it again I'm pretty bummed. No matter what is done, the image always looks slightly out of focus due to the fog. Super frustrating and now looking for a broken VX with a good VAP so that I can replace the VAP on mine.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #558 on: November 22, 2020, 09:24:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Dang, sorry to hear. I've always heard never to use any glue on broken lens mounts for that exact reason (glue causing foggy internal lenses) and to always use electrical tape instead.
[close]

I took a break from filming for 8 years and let a buddy use my VX for a few of those years. Long story short - the front of the camera got ripped off and he glued it back on resulting in the foggy internal lenses you mentioned. I didn't care at the time because I was totally over filming, but now that I'm into it again I'm pretty bummed. No matter what is done, the image always looks slightly out of focus due to the fog. Super frustrating and now looking for a broken VX with a good VAP so that I can replace the VAP on mine.

Yea I have always used some sort of jb weld or 2 part epoxy. I just did it on my new vx

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #559 on: November 23, 2020, 12:08:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is so frustrating because it's just fog but in the end you have to replace the whole VAP unit...

bataaard

« Reply #560 on: November 23, 2020, 04:04:05 AM »
From what i've heard:

watch out because the VAP unit is linked to one of the cards, and if you just change the VAP without configuring the card, you might have parfocal problems (your focus point moves when you zoom).

i believe there are infos about it in the vx1000 service manual.
the easiest option would be to send it to kerry at VE.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #561 on: November 23, 2020, 04:29:51 AM »
out of pure curiosity, how much would that be to ship a vx to kerry at VE from europe? have you already done this bataaard?

bataaard

« Reply #562 on: November 23, 2020, 12:02:32 PM »
I just got some advices from Kerry and he sent me some parts.

You can ask @vx_doc on instagram if he can change your VAP and check the parfocal.
he's from europe and legit.

skatehypecom

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
    • Skate Hype avatar image
« Reply #563 on: November 27, 2020, 10:19:04 AM »
Hi to all VX1000 users, I recommend you take a look at skatehype.com or it's app. Especially by the following unique features:
- Direct conversion .DV NTSC to 60p video. Best quality on Internet for VX.
- No ads, no audio or video bans, no data tracking, no shit, just Skateboarding.
- No more people asking for "send me that trick for insta", all users can download tricks for insta of any video.
- No more people asking for "send me that video part", your friends or you can create a video part from video without reencoding, just with a post in seconds.

More info on this thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112401.0
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 10:56:36 AM by skatehypecom »
We are just skateboarders and filmers OG's trying to make a good DIY

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #564 on: November 27, 2020, 10:46:13 AM »
Hi to all VX1000 users, I recommend you take a look at skatehype.com or it's app. Especially by the following unique features:
- Direct conversion .DV NTSC to 60p video. Best quality on Internet for VX.
- No ads, no audio or video bans, no data tracking, no shit, just Skateboarding.
- No more people asking for "send me that trick for insta", all users can download tricks for insta of any video.
- No more people asking for "send me that video part", your friends or you can create a video from video without reencoding, just with a post in seconds.

More info on this thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112401.0

thanks, def checking this out

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #565 on: December 03, 2020, 01:39:26 AM »
Sooo, I finally made my mind and sent my MKI to Century for a front element replacement.
Anyone ever done it here ? I still don't know exactly how much they will charge me...

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #566 on: December 03, 2020, 03:09:55 PM »
Sooo, I finally made my mind and sent my MKI to Century for a front element replacement.
Anyone ever done it here ? I still don't know exactly how much they will charge me...

I am assuming new front element and the labor like they mentioned?

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #567 on: December 04, 2020, 12:46:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, I was expecting something like 450-500$ but if they need 2 hours or more to replace the front element it will be much more.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #568 on: December 04, 2020, 05:48:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes, I was expecting something like 450-500$ but if they need 2 hours or more to replace the front element it will be much more.

I would've asked for a quote before I sent it but keep us posted on what it came out to. Also, let us know if they send back the old front element. I'm curious.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
« Reply #569 on: December 04, 2020, 01:03:58 PM »
Anybody know the best place to get batteries?

I had three but one broke... I saw B&H selling them new for like... 149 dollars or something which is insane...

Hoping for something a little lower in price so I can buy a few. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.