Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102751 times)

Chatbot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #570 on: December 04, 2020, 01:51:07 PM »
Anybody know the best place to get batteries?

I had three but one broke... I saw B&H selling them new for like... 149 dollars or something which is insane...

Hoping for something a little lower in price so I can buy a few. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've used eBay to buy a bunch of NP-F970's for my vx2100. I forgot the seller (had them saved years ago) but the batteries were legit and lasted hours/ weeks at a time. I think they were about $30-40ish a piece or maybe 2 for $45? I can't remember exactly.

I don't suggest paying 150 for one battery. I'd lurk eBay for a third party and check the reviews before buying.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #571 on: December 04, 2020, 03:43:21 PM »
Expand Quote

I had three but one broke... I saw B&H selling them new for like... 149 dollars or something which is insane...

Hoping for something a little lower in price so I can buy a few. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
[close]

I've used eBay to buy a bunch of NP-F970's for my vx2100. I forgot the seller (had them saved years ago) but the batteries were legit and lasted hours/ weeks at a time. I think they were about $30-40ish a piece or maybe 2 for $45? I can't remember exactly.

I don't suggest paying 150 for one battery. I'd lurk eBay for a third party and check the reviews before buying.

Yea i wouldn't spend nearly that much on batteries. I bought these fake ones off amazon and they didn't have the grooves in them, so they wouldn't slide into the vx. I ended up taking the plastic housing case on the battery and they worked great

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #573 on: December 07, 2020, 01:30:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah when I had my VX21 I had a mix of the OG Sony ones that still held charge or the cheap ones I bought on eBay. Honestly, they hold charge and as long as you look after them they'll last a long time.

If you're using a 21 just be careful and persist at the seller that they in fact, do have the grooves on the side. I've had to send so many back and argue with a few, but I got a load of them in the end.

Or you could do a botch job like some have to make those grooves, but I wouldn't want to fuck with cutting into the side of the battery haha.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
« Reply #575 on: December 09, 2020, 08:40:59 AM »
Found batteries for 22 bucks... Free shipping too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/351216194651

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000
« Reply #576 on: December 09, 2020, 11:15:57 AM »

Good looking out. Just ordered 2. Will report back on how they are.
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #577 on: December 09, 2020, 03:47:34 PM »

About to order a few once I get paid. Thanks for the link cuz

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #578 on: December 10, 2020, 12:58:30 AM »
Quick update regarding my MKI repair by Century.
They just sent me the quote, with a front element now at $395, previously announced at $295... (before I sent the lens in)
Plus $225 of labor, which was expected.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #579 on: December 10, 2020, 11:48:20 AM »
Quick update regarding my MKI repair by Century.
They just sent me the quote, with a front element now at $395, previously announced at $295... (before I sent the lens in)
Plus $225 of labor, which was expected.

Damn an extra 100$

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #580 on: December 15, 2020, 01:41:55 PM »
Any tips on keeping your VX warm when filming in colder weather? Whenever I'm filming in 40 degree or less temperatures, my manual focus stops working and auto focus takes over despite manual focus still being selected.   

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #581 on: December 15, 2020, 04:12:51 PM »
Any tips on keeping your VX warm when filming in colder weather? Whenever I'm filming in 40 degree or less temperatures, my manual focus stops working and auto focus takes over despite manual focus still being selected.

Its pretty hard to do so. When I was living in Washington in the winter time the vx was sometimes not even useable because it got so cold. Pretty sure I seen someone put a bunch of hand warmers on the outside of it. Was most likely a joke but it might work a little haha.

I know a group of dudes that make snowboarding videos with the vx and as far as I know they don't have a problem.

Olympus Mons

• VX1000
« Reply #582 on: December 16, 2020, 11:52:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Its pretty hard to do so. When I was living in Washington in the winter time the vx was sometimes not even useable because it got so cold. Pretty sure I seen someone put a bunch of hand warmers on the outside of it. Was most likely a joke but it might work a little haha.

I know a group of dudes that make snowboarding videos with the vx and as far as I know they don't have a problem.

I film in SLC, UT. I take the VX out regularly in 0-30 degree temperatures and haven't had many, if any problems. Batteries don't last as long, but that's about it for me. Maybe I'm lucky.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #583 on: December 16, 2020, 01:59:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I film in SLC, UT. I take the VX out regularly in 0-30 degree temperatures and haven't had many, if any problems. Batteries don't last as long, but that's about it for me. Maybe I'm lucky.

Shit the second I would take mine out. It would start glitching so bad. Batteries would die so fast.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #584 on: December 16, 2020, 04:12:05 PM »
My old US VX didn’t fare well if it was below 35, Japanese one was good though. 
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

kanyewesticles

• Rep: -1
« Reply #585 on: December 21, 2020, 12:48:25 PM »
For those of you with off brand VX batteries that don't "pop" out of the battery compartment when you take them out, do you have any tips? I was thinking of putting some velcro on the end of the battery facing out, and keeping the other side of the velcro in my camera bag so i can help pull the battery out of the compartment.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #586 on: December 21, 2020, 02:33:31 PM »
For those of you with off brand VX batteries that don't "pop" out of the battery compartment when you take them out, do you have any tips? I was thinking of putting some velcro on the end of the battery facing out, and keeping the other side of the velcro in my camera bag so i can help pull the battery out of the compartment.

I just take a pocket knife. Velcro would work, but would you still be able to shut the door?

doyle

• Rep: 210
« Reply #587 on: December 21, 2020, 02:41:59 PM »
I use a little piece of tape like a pull-tab.

kanyewesticles

« Reply #588 on: December 21, 2020, 02:52:50 PM »
I use a little piece of tape like a pull-tab.

Smart and simple, thanks!

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #589 on: December 22, 2020, 01:22:14 AM »
Damn why didn't I think of that bahaha.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

WadeDes

« Reply #590 on: December 22, 2020, 08:48:06 AM »
Has anyone any experience with these tapes?

I can get a sweet deal on a bunch however I'm not sure if they are any good quality and if it would be a good deal.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #591 on: December 22, 2020, 03:38:05 PM »

I can get a sweet deal on a bunch however I'm not sure if they are any good quality and if it would be a good deal.

I mean if its worth it. I have never used anything besides sony tapes before. Too much of a hassle to switch and hope the footage doesn't glitch

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #592 on: December 22, 2020, 04:01:37 PM »
basically anything other than the sony tapes are "dry" tapes. the sonys have a lubricant on them to help the age of the tape heads but other brands do not. it won't affect quality, or at least i haven't seen any quality drop, but it will affect longevity or at the very least the time between professional head cleanings. i used maxwell tapes when i first started but have used sony's for the last 10 years.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #593 on: December 23, 2020, 02:34:21 AM »

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong with this following statement)

My understanding with other brands of tapes are that they should be fine image wise but if you can find that brand's head cleaning tape, use that first of all and they should be good to go. I don't really know much about 'swapping' brands as I've always gone with Sony tapes, however I don't think you'll experience anything with a drop in quality that will be noticeable.

basically anything other than the sony tapes are "dry" tapes. the sonys have a lubricant on them to help the age of the tape heads but other brands do not

That's the important fact - just don't go constantly inbetween brands and if you have to, make sure to use head cleaning tapes or you'll give your camera what my mate calls it 'tape aids'.

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
so if im not mistaken, sony tapes are basically impossible to find, correct?

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
so if im not mistaken, sony tapes are basically impossible to find, correct?

You can find some on eBay, craiglist, old stock of camera stores or things like that.
But yes, it's becoming kind of hard...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

jwdharris

• Rep: -4
    • www.vimeo.com/jwdharris avatar image
I sold all of my VX1000 gear to @vx_doc towards the end of last year.

Keep an eye out for it. 2 mint VX1000s, 7 batteries, around 30 sealed Sony tapes, etc.

Olympus Mons

• VX1000
Expand Quote

[close]

Good looking out. Just ordered 2. Will report back on how they are.

These batteries are insanely good. One battery will last a whole day of filming. I've never had a vx1 battery last so long, jussayin.

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
would any issues arise if i switch brands of tape?

has anyone ever tried fujifilm tapes?

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
would any issues arise if i switch brands of tape?

has anyone ever tried fujifilm tapes?

If you look up above there's a conversation about swapping tapes.

Use a head cleaner tape if you're swapping over.