Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102709 times)

pedro_mayn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Had a weird experience today and I'm hoping someone can point out what's happened, cause I've got a feeling it's going to happen again soon;

I had setup ready to film, had my fisheye on and the MRC1 hooked up as per norm. I noticed an odd sensation when moving the VX around, like something was loose and moving around. I thought maybe it's the bayonet mount and/or the Tadashi filter being ever so loose, but I couldn't see anything shifting around those particular areas and it felt within the front end of the camera (possibly where the VAP unit is?) Well when I looked through the fisheye in on the lens of the VX1 there was a noticable piece of glass moving around inside.

We watched back the footy and from where this glass was moving around it was unwatchable since everything was being shifted around.

I get home and I take the camera out (attaching the lens, to see if it's the weight of the mk1 causing it) and it's gone? I mean, there's always been some ever so slight play on the front of the VX1s I've noticed, so could it be perhaps something got knocked or pulled out slightly, causing this glass to loosen inside?

Any help would be appreciated as I know I'll be all happy it's gone and on a heavy sesh it'll rear its ugly head.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Hey fellow Slap lurkers, to prevent mic droop, what are your solutions? I've seen different types of styrofoam and was wondering what the best type would be and how to get it.

Thanks!

some foam is what I used

Safarisuit

• Rep: 1
Hey fellow Slap lurkers, to prevent mic droop, what are your solutions? I've seen different types of styrofoam and was wondering what the best type would be and how to get it.

Thanks!

I cut a piece out of a mr clean magic eraser

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
Had a weird experience today and I'm hoping someone can point out what's happened, cause I've got a feeling it's going to happen again soon;

I had setup ready to film, had my fisheye on and the MRC1 hooked up as per norm. I noticed an odd sensation when moving the VX around, like something was loose and moving around. I thought maybe it's the bayonet mount and/or the Tadashi filter being ever so loose, but I couldn't see anything shifting around those particular areas and it felt within the front end of the camera (possibly where the VAP unit is?) Well when I looked through the fisheye in on the lens of the VX1 there was a noticable piece of glass moving around inside.

We watched back the footy and from where this glass was moving around it was unwatchable since everything was being shifted around.

I get home and I take the camera out (attaching the lens, to see if it's the weight of the mk1 causing it) and it's gone? I mean, there's always been some ever so slight play on the front of the VX1s I've noticed, so could it be perhaps something got knocked or pulled out slightly, causing this glass to loosen inside?

Any help would be appreciated as I know I'll be all happy it's gone and on a heavy sesh it'll rear its ugly head.

I'm not sure I understood correctly, but maybe it is the outside glass of your VX ?
There is a sticker with the lens specifications on the front, but if you remove this sticker you can remove the glass. Maybe it is not tighten correctly ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm not sure I understood correctly, but maybe it is the outside glass of your VX ?
There is a sticker with the lens specifications on the front, but if you remove this sticker you can remove the glass. Maybe it is not tighten correctly ?

I'm not sure on what the correct name of the particular part inside, but there's another two or possibly three pieces of glass other than the front element - the one I could see was inside, falling backwards and forwards when the camera was moved. But yeah I reckon the front of the camera its self was loose, so when I put it back in my bag it probably got pressed together and tightened back up.

Either ways its off for repairs and will get looked at!
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Sherbal

Not sure if anyone posted this here yet, but thought it was worth a share!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1vBZiBdSvM&t=1s

augustas123456

• Rep: 0
hello, i have a vx21 and a opteka 58mm and im looking to buy a spacer. should i get 1 or 2? and what size is good? thanks

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
hello, i have a vx21 and a opteka 58mm and im looking to buy a spacer. should i get 1 or 2? and what size is good? thanks

2 spacers give just the right amount of vig

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000
Random question. What volume level do y'all usually use when recording with a VX1000? I find that I need to reduce it to about 3.5 for fisheye and 4/4.5 for long lens to avoid levels peaking and the audio becoming shitty.

I thought this was normal, and I've done the same thing on every VX I've owned (~10 or so) but I've mentioned it to other VX guys before and gotten a confused look. Do y'all just leave it on 7 or what?
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

bataaard

• Rep: 40
i used to film at your levels. but now i like the sound of the vx1000 better on auto

dilbert1

• Rep: 141
Random question. What volume level do y'all usually use when recording with a VX1000? I find that I need to reduce it to about 3.5 for fisheye and 4/4.5 for long lens to avoid levels peaking and the audio becoming shitty.

I thought this was normal, and I've done the same thing on every VX I've owned (~10 or so) but I've mentioned it to other VX guys before and gotten a confused look. Do y'all just leave it on 7 or what?

The auto mic level function on mine is shot, so unless manually set audio can come out really quiet, kinda glitchy or sound straight up like someone threw the mic in a blender while firing at it with a machine gun. So I've been doing 4-5 for fisheye and like 6 for LL

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I've never done anything but auto for VX audio.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image

Never done it. If the clip audio is bad I always just mess with it in post.

Garth Marenghi

I've never done anything but auto for VX audio.

Same, never fiddled with the setting. I'd probably end up with a bunch of low audio clips at the cost of maybe avoiding severe clipping.

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO

I use auto, however on one edit that I made from a Barca trip I was pitching the volume down as I noticed before hand the clips were peaking and had this horrendous cracking sound, as opposed to a crisper quality.

That turned out to be dirty heads on my cap cam - as simple as that.

I don't know if it somehow happens to be that in your case?

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
Always used auto as well.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

nickpaolucci

cosigning auto as well

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000
Expand Quote

[close]

I use auto, however on one edit that I made from a Barca trip I was pitching the volume down as I noticed before hand the clips were peaking and had this horrendous cracking sound, as opposed to a crisper quality.

That turned out to be dirty heads on my cap cam - as simple as that.

I don't know if it somehow happens to be that in your case?

That's interesting. I've gone through several cap cams as well, and never really noticed a difference. But maybe I'll throw a cleaning tape in the cap cam just to see what happens.

After resounding support for auto, it sounds like I'll be trying auto audio again.
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
auto audio all the way. it's what we know as the vx1000 sound
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Plymatt

• Rep: 0
Hi All, I was looking for a new camera light for vx1 does anyone know which light was used a lot in early 2000s that gives a kind of ring effect?

best example i can think is Carrolls first line in modus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5B0lmpXQ2U&t=56s&ab_channel=NeighborhoodBozo

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
Hi All, I was looking for a new camera light for vx1 does anyone know which light was used a lot in early 2000s that gives a kind of ring effect?

best example i can think is Carrolls first line in modus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5B0lmpXQ2U&t=56s&ab_channel=NeighborhoodBozo
its called the Frezzi Mini-Fill. It needs a heavy battery pack to use it. I recommend a fanny pack or some sort of shoulder strap for it.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

naraleao

• Rep: 3
What are your shutter speed settings? Do you guys leave that on Auto or take the AES up to 250, 500, 1000?

nickpaolucci

What are your shutter speed settings? Do you guys leave that on Auto or take the AES up to 250, 500, 1000?

always manual. set shutter and exposure independently. higher shutter speeds on sunny cloudless day maybe something like 350 w/ f-stop of 5.6/6.8. Cloudy days or shaded areas might call for lower shutter speeds and larger f-stop. Possibly 125 at 3.4. It all depends on the amount of light available.

pj chad

• Rep: 7

I've had good results following this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VZMbngPFF8

I generally keep shutter speed at 1/125 with the idea that you want to double the native frame rate of a VX1000 (29.97), but considering 1/60 has a high amount of motion blur, I like 1/125 (IMO) because it gives you some motion blur, but not too much where it looks too choppy/not as fluid. As the video states, 1/125 "looks natural to the eye". It also works well if you like to export your footage at 60p because it goes back to the general idea of doubling the frame rate.

Regarding exposure, I always try to stay as close to f5.6 as possible. As mentioned previously in this thread, it's considered the "sweet spot" for exposure on the VX1000 where f1.6 leaves the aperature wide open thus providing more of an overall blurry picture vs f9.6 which is the smallest aperture before the iris is closed at f11.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:50:37 AM by pj chad »

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]

always manual. set shutter and exposure independently. higher shutter speeds on sunny cloudless day maybe something like 350 w/ f-stop of 5.6/6.8. Cloudy days or shaded areas might call for lower shutter speeds and larger f-stop. Possibly 125 at 3.4. It all depends on the amount of light available.

this

sangste

• Rep: 4
Writing from Europe. Got a MK1 fisheye from Japan last year, but it has the wrong bayo... (for VX2k)

Getting kinda desperate to find a VX1000 bayonet, only option seems to be getting one from USA for a whopping 200€ (with shipping and import...)

Have gone through all the Insta sellers and repairers, even getting a suspicious 'yes, oh wait, no' answer :)

Anyone have a clue how to get a VX1000 bayo in Europe or are there perhaps some other DIY options?

suckmadeck

• Rep: 27
Writing from Europe. Got a MK1 fisheye from Japan last year, but it has the wrong bayo... (for VX2k)

Getting kinda desperate to find a VX1000 bayonet, only option seems to be getting one from USA for a whopping 200€ (with shipping and import...)

Have gone through all the Insta sellers and repairers, even getting a suspicious 'yes, oh wait, no' answer :)

Anyone have a clue how to get a VX1000 bayo in Europe or are there perhaps some other DIY options?

It's probably dumb but you can take the bayo rings off and get a 62 or 68mm to 52mm step down ring and just use it like that till you can find the right bayo

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO

I bought mine for my my last MK1 off this site - http://www.bayorings.com/

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote

[close]

I bought mine for my my last MK1 off this site - http://www.bayorings.com/

Ah none in stock, might be best to hit them up on Insta? https://www.instagram.com/bayorings_com/

Nothing posted since 2017, though.