Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102621 times)

Jordan Wiens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
if you have the 58mm opteka yes
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

upsidedownboardslide

• Rep: 0
hey so i just got my first vx1000 off of ebay, and when i turn it on, and look in the viewfinder, it displays the hud, but no image. is this because of a loose ribbon cable or is it just broken?

thanks for any info
:)

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Is the lens cap on?

upsidedownboardslide

Is the lens cap on?

no. i took the lens cap off and i cant change the iris or the shutter speed. i cant see any of the normal displays on the screen. just the blue bar.

nickpaolucci

Expand Quote
Is the lens cap on?
[close]

no. i took the lens cap off and i cant change the iris or the shutter speed. i cant see any of the normal displays on the screen. just the blue bar.

can you post a picture of what you're seeing through the vf?

upsidedownboardslide

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is the lens cap on?
[close]

[close]

edit: i fixed it. just had to smack the side lightly!

upsidedownboardslide

also, just found out about this, thanks to suckmadeck.

if you're having problems with having to reset your custom presets everytime you take out the battery or turn it off, that means the little CR2025 battery in the back door of your vx is dead. super cheap to replace and it keeps your custom presets saved.

Garth Marenghi

if you're having problems with having to reset your custom presets everytime you take out the battery or turn it off, that means the little CR2025 battery in the back door of your vx is dead. super cheap to replace and it keeps your custom presets saved.

And this indicator will flash on the screen/in viewfinder if the battery has died.

upsidedownboardslide

Expand Quote

[close]

And this indicator will flash on the screen/in viewfinder if the battery has died.

oh thats interesting. i've never seen that before, even when my battery was dead.

Sherbal

Canadians! I have a fully functional english VX1000 setup for sale! I'm located in Ontario and can deliver anywhere in the Toronto/Ottawa area and soon enough Montreal area.

Includes: opteka fisheye, 10 sony mini dv tapes, 3 batteries + charger, and a cap cam.

Please message me for more info/links!

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is the lens cap on?
[close]

[close]

[close]

such a classic move.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2021/05/19/tutorial-film-vx1000-without-tapes/

yo, has this already been discussed? whats your general opinion? it is like trend right here, just saw three different guys i follow post picutres of their vx set up that way.

http://youtu.be/tWvv9TzS8TI

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2021/05/19/tutorial-film-vx1000-without-tapes/

yo, has this already been discussed? whats your general opinion? it is like trend right here, just saw three different guys i follow post picutres of their vx set up that way.

http://youtu.be/tWvv9TzS8TI

Everything you need to know about External Recorders:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113942.0
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
The external recording devices have been cracking recently. I back it. But ill be shooting on tapes until I cannot get anymore

upsidedownboardslide

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is the lens cap on?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
such a classic move.

yeah lol i asked alex cooper, and hoped it wasn't the ribbon cable.

upsidedownboardslide

also, does anyone know a good spacer setup for a 58mm opteka and vx1?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is the lens cap on?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
such a classic move.
[close]

Do I know you also then?

upsidedownboardslide

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is the lens cap on?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
such a classic move.
[close]

[close]

Do I know you also then?

probably not. i'm on the eastside.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNzVsCA9irc
This guy came up with a set up to record directly to his phone. Im interested in trying this with my camera. Any pros and cons about this?

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
bit rate looks horrid and it seems to crop to 16:9
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNzVsCA9irc
This guy came up with a set up to record directly to his phone. Im interested in trying this with my camera. Any pros and cons about this?

holy shit what a contraption. But pretty sick

nickpaolucci

bit rate looks horrid and it seems to crop to 16:9

ya, does not look good at all

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
That looks almost as bad quality as my old 8mm camera.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
it looks pretty bad but not much better than the quality if you were to use the camera normally.

the thing with these tapeless recorders is that the quality definitely drops off a bit. but the thing is personally the convenience outweighs the drop in quality tenfold. of course there will be some purists who love the normal look of say vx1k footage with tapes, but myself if i can avoid using tapes and airdrop my clips to my phone as soon as i plug in the microsd card, then i would say that is the best thing in the world especially for someone who has been struggling with tapes for 5+ years filming.

its not like its even a huge drop in quality even. when i use the powerplay the footage comes out in kinda a funny way, almost similar to jesse alba's vx edits a la "puerto rico".

nickpaolucci

it looks pretty bad but not much better than the quality if you were to use the camera normally.

the thing with these tapeless recorders is that the quality definitely drops off a bit. but the thing is personally the convenience outweighs the drop in quality tenfold. of course there will be some purists who love the normal look of say vx1k footage with tapes, but myself if i can avoid using tapes and airdrop my clips to my phone as soon as i plug in the microsd card, then i would say that is the best thing in the world especially for someone who has been struggling with tapes for 5+ years filming.

its not like its even a huge drop in quality even. when i use the powerplay the footage comes out in kinda a funny way, almost similar to jesse alba's vx edits a la "puerto rico".

i'm not sure there is a loss of quality when using an external dv recorder, like the hvr-mrc1. can someone corroborate this?

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote

[close]

i'm not sure there is a loss of quality when using an external dv recorder, like the hvr-mrc1. can someone corroborate this?

Well you definitely don't if you set the capture format in RAW DV, which has been covered in a few videos on the device. It's the same quality as you'd get using tape.

I think you might lose any tiny bit with filming in AVI, but I've always used the former.

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Well you definitely don't if you set the capture format in RAW DV, which has been covered in a few videos on the device. It's the same quality as you'd get using tape.

I think you might lose any tiny bit with filming in AVI, but I've always used the former.

powerplay recorder = very slight loss of quality, slight squish of footage and you'll lose the tiniest bit of vignette from footage, uses h.264 so you have to convert in post to get it back to true format

any recorder that uses firewire to connect = no loss of quality and no changes to footage, but you'll be paying a heftier price tag

doyle

• Rep: 210
I have a weird problem with a VX that I haven't used in a while. It turns on fine, everything seems normal, but the tape deck won't open and there's a "0" on the back screen where the tape remaining number would usually be. Anyone see this before?

pj chad

• Rep: 7
I have a weird problem with a VX that I haven't used in a while. It turns on fine, everything seems normal, but the tape deck won't open and there's a "0" on the back screen where the tape remaining number would usually be. Anyone see this before?

That’s a strange one. You say you haven’t used this in a while. Was the tape in this camera the entire time or did you just recently put it in? I looked through the vx1000 manual hoping it would say something with the “0” indicator but I’m not finding much. Maybe the tape deck died? Maybe the heads are stuck? Maybe the actual tape is stuck? Might want to call Kerry on that one.

Question: is anyone using the 67mm opteka fisheye with the vx1000? If so, any issues? Is it exactly the same as the 58mm one with the only difference being the screw on mm size?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
anyone fiddled with those aliexpress fisheyes?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001499231356.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.aa2b6ed71VHO3r&algo_pvid=ea991227-7a00-4663-9f0f-6dad887af14e&algo_exp_id=ea991227-7a00-4663-9f0f-6dad887af14e-9

i know vx1000market was selling them rebranded as "3ccd fisheye" with an extortionate markup on them. mk1 is way out of budget and those 0.3x optekas are pretty hard to find in 58mm (for canon xm1 not vx), so it's making those aliexpress mk1 clones look p viable.