Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102760 times)

DiggyDon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Hey guys,
I’m having an issue with my vx1 mic.
A while ago the audio started peaking when set to auto, since then I have been turning it down to 4-5 and there is moments it will still peak.
At the moment I’m running down at 3 just to get by.

Has anyone had an issue like this? If so was there any easy fix?
Im leaning towards replacing the mic ribbon cable, thought I’d ask before pulling it apart.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Hey guys,
I’m having an issue with my vx1 mic.
A while ago the audio started peaking when set to auto, since then I have been turning it down to 4-5 and there is moments it will still peak.
At the moment I’m running down at 3 just to get by.

Has anyone had an issue like this? If so was there any easy fix?
Im leaning towards replacing the mic ribbon cable, thought I’d ask before pulling it apart.

Have you tested to determine if it's the capture cam, like running a cleaning tape through it or running a new tape on play for 20 mins? I mentioned it to someone a few pages back who had a similar issue, as my audio issues were down to dirty heads on the cap cam.

I had my board and mic sorted, then it turned out it was only my cap cam that had the issue.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
anyone fiddled with those aliexpress fisheyes?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001499231356.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.aa2b6ed71VHO3r&algo_pvid=ea991227-7a00-4663-9f0f-6dad887af14e&algo_exp_id=ea991227-7a00-4663-9f0f-6dad887af14e-9

i know vx1000market was selling them rebranded as "3ccd fisheye" with an extortionate markup on them. mk1 is way out of budget and those 0.3x optekas are pretty hard to find in 58mm (for canon xm1 not vx), so it's making those aliexpress mk1 clones look p viable.

https://youtu.be/b9BjKi13euU

@suckmydeck did this vid and if I'm right they're all the same lens?
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
yeah i ended up stumbling across that a few mins after posting, only ever found out about those lenses from that guy after he called out vx1000market. think theyre essentially the same but the aliexpress ones have a bit more blue flaring on the vig which is no issue for me, will probably just bite the bullet and get one because realistically you aint gonna get anything better at that price range.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
yeah i ended up stumbling across that a few mins after posting, only ever found out about those lenses from that guy after he called out vx1000market. think theyre essentially the same but the aliexpress ones have a bit more blue flaring on the vig which is no issue for me, will probably just bite the bullet and get one because realistically you aint gonna get anything better at that price range.

major kook of a dude

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
hey y’all just got my new mk1 today and was hoping someone knew of a good brand of screw thread lubricant for the lens? noticed that it was crunchy when you turn it tight and then i took the bayo off to take a look and boy that thing was dusty and dirty. i wiped most of it out but unfortunately also wiped away the lube

pj chad

• Rep: 7
hey y’all just got my new mk1 today and was hoping someone knew of a good brand of screw thread lubricant for the lens? noticed that it was crunchy when you turn it tight and then i took the bayo off to take a look and boy that thing was dusty and dirty. i wiped most of it out but unfortunately also wiped away the lube

Dry Teflon I’ve heard is good. I’ve also heard of candle wax being used.

While you have the bayo off, and chance you could measure what the mm screw would be on the mk1?

donkey

• donk
Expand Quote
[close]

Dry Teflon I’ve heard is good. I’ve also heard of candle wax being used.

While you have the bayo off, and chance you could measure what the mm screw would be on the mk1?
hey man thanks for the answer to this but i really dont know what you mean by the mm screw. i dont think i have any utensils in my house that would be able to measure such a tiny screw. if i were to give my best guess i would say the screw is about a centimeter long

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
quick q, whats the general ballpark areas for exposure/shutter speed? i know it obviously depends on lighting conditions etc but lets say regular ass summers day. ive read f5.6 is the sweet spot for exposure, but shutter speed got me a bit confused bc some say have it double the framerate which would be 50 shutter, good amount of people saying 120, yet beagles vx vid said 180-250? any advice is appreciated

donkey

• donk
quick q, whats the general ballpark areas for exposure/shutter speed? i know it obviously depends on lighting conditions etc but lets say regular ass summers day. ive read f5.6 is the sweet spot for exposure, but shutter speed got me a bit confused bc some say have it double the framerate which would be 50 shutter, good amount of people saying 120, yet beagles vx vid said 180-250? any advice is appreciated
some people might not like this advice but im going to give you the best opinion for what works with me.

seriously just eyeball it. first thing i do is set the shutter speed. if its a really sunny ass day i'll usually start really high at like 1000. then, test the f stop. if you can't achieve a clear, but bright image in the view finder with that shutter speed, i would just take it down to like 500-750 and start dropping the f stop until the image is bright but not too washed out. after doing this a lot you will start to find the sweet spot where the image is dark enough to have a clear picture but bright enough to really make the colors pop. i too have tried the double framerate method as well and i also gave up immediately after realizing it doesn't work. if anyone would like to dumb it down further go right ahead

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
i got anywhere from 250-725 (cloudy to sunny) and if youre at f5.6 its gonna be the sharpest the lens is. at night i always do 90 because my light is super bright. if you like the motion blur look do 125 but i like the sharp as a tack look, so faster is better. but dont do over 1000 or youll get artifacts in the shadows
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
cheers for the info above!

not vx but fuck it ill post anyway, got my 0.3x opteka in. was gonna get one of the aliexpress ones until a legit one popped up on ebay uk so had to snag it.

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO

Another thing I will chuck on here as a piece of advice is probably what someone else posted here once, but I will reiterate again just so peeps can see it; it is the night time mode you can select (select Program until you see the moon symbol).

It is actually really good to use and something I never used since using the VX1 a couple of years back. If not, I tend to chuck it on the same as what Jordan Wiens said and use 90 shutter speed, 3db open exposure since I got a newer light and it doesn't struggle so much now. Some spots we go to are super dark and I honestly think the former auto option does well in those sits.

pj chad

• Rep: 7
i'm too impatient to wait for Kerry's response on Monday, so i wanted to see if anyone had seen something like this before.

i bought a cheap "as-is" VX1000. powers on, seems to work normally, and i can use an external recorder with it.

i'm assuming there is an issue with the VAP unit. i attached my mk1 and the vig is incredibly off center, and the picture comes out "cloudy" no matter how you set the focus. i'm assuming it's so cloudy/out of focus because the camera is trying to focus on the vig? anyone ever have an issue like this before? or if anyone on here has experience fixing VX's, is it possible to repair this VAP unit or is there no choice but to replace it?

donkey

• donk
i'm too impatient to wait for Kerry's response on Monday, so i wanted to see if anyone had seen something like this before.

i bought a cheap "as-is" VX1000. powers on, seems to work normally, and i can use an external recorder with it.

i'm assuming there is an issue with the VAP unit. i attached my mk1 and the vig is incredibly off center, and the picture comes out "cloudy" no matter how you set the focus. i'm assuming it's so cloudy/out of focus because the camera is trying to focus on the vig? anyone ever have an issue like this before? or if anyone on here has experience fixing VX's, is it possible to repair this VAP unit or is there no choice but to replace it?

most of the time issues like these are far too annoying to try to fix yourself. not saying impossible, but you're gonna have to know the insides and out of the camera like the back of your hand to understand what to do. from what i can gather im almost positive your camera vap has just been knocked too hard and the 3ccd sensors are off kilter.

your best bet is probably just waiting on kerry and begging him to give you a good deal. or you can watch that one youtube video of the guy completely dissecting the vx and doing it yourself

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
or if you really dont care, just try smacking the shit out of it.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image

This has fixed so many of my vx's

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]

ive never had anything as bad as pj, but def had my cam have weird ccd colour errors and just smacked it and it was back to normal LOL
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
ive never had anything as bad as pj, but def had my cam have weird ccd colour errors and just smacked it and it was back to normal LOL
slapping is an essential tool for fixing the vx. i can only second this

bataaard

• Rep: 40
the vx got hit too hard and lenses are not aligned anymore in the VAP unit. you will need a new VAP unit.

Slapping works only with weird colors.
it comes from a loose cable on the right side of the camera (not the tape deck side).

BJM

• Rep: 0
Hey I recently got one of my spacers stuck in the thread of my vx. Mustve screwed it on a bit too tight and now I cant seem to get it to budge.

Anyone ever have this happen before? any tips to get it out would be greatly appreciated!

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
Hey I recently got one of my spacers stuck in the thread of my vx. Mustve screwed it on a bit too tight and now I cant seem to get it to budge.

Anyone ever have this happen before? any tips to get it out would be greatly appreciated!

I had a stupid fucking 58-52 step down ring stuck in my GL1 so I just got a set of pliers, gave it a tiny little turn and that got it out fine with ease and didn't damage any threads. Could prolly put some cloth etc over it if you're paranoid about the fucking the threads.

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000

I had one that was STUCK stuck, pliers didn't help at all. The solution: use a rubber band. Like put a rubber band around the spacer itself, and then just twist it off with your hand. Worked instantly.
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

BJM

Expand Quote

[close]

I had one that was STUCK stuck, pliers didn't help at all. The solution: use a rubber band. Like put a rubber band around the spacer itself, and then just twist it off with your hand. Worked instantly.

Pliers wouldn't work for me either. Gonna give the rubber band a try! Thanks a ton

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Pliers wouldn't work for me either. Gonna give the rubber band a try! Thanks a ton

wrap a cloth in a vice and tighten it up. Not super tight. Stick your vx in and tighten it up and unscrew it

basedworldballout

• Rep: 1
Hi guys. Got a request to help out with translating a Japanese VX on the VX1000 subreddit. Thought i'd post the PDF here if anyone needs a reference guide for translating. I don't have a Jap VX myself, just a PAL VX, so feel free to correct anything.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RnQTnM13EUumT0D15e0PjoR3yUX5Ypz_/view?usp=sharing

File size limit here was too small for the file so had to upload to Drive  :-\

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Good guy.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Hi guys. Got a request to help out with translating a Japanese VX on the VX1000 subreddit. Thought i'd post the PDF here if anyone needs a reference guide for translating. I don't have a Jap VX myself, just a PAL VX, so feel free to correct anything.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RnQTnM13EUumT0D15e0PjoR3yUX5Ypz_/view?usp=sharing

File size limit here was too small for the file so had to upload to Drive  :-\

Many thanks for sharing this. Really helpful for navigating the menu and custom presets.

caiadozsk8

Yooo my vx1000 zoom it's blocked , when I turn it on , it's already zoom in a bit , and I can't zoom in or out ! Has anyone had this problem?

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
Sorry if this has already been asked but does anyone know what issue of Transworld the vx100 vs vx2100 article is in?
I've got most of the Transworlds from around that period so am happy to scan it up if someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps