Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102576 times)

MK1spiracy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #930 on: September 19, 2022, 11:38:10 AM »
I'm almost positive DLFS runs buy_mk1. I talked to him on the phone once and asked him about the reissue mk1's and he said he paid for them all upfront over a year before they were released.

Nah, I've made purchases from DLFS. Without revealing anyone's names/personal info, I can assure you DLFS and buy_mk1 accounts are ran by different people. I think they collaborated to get the lenses made (and potentially to front the money), but they're different people.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #931 on: September 27, 2022, 06:26:23 AM »
Why’s it matter though?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
« Reply #932 on: September 28, 2022, 05:04:13 PM »
Why’s it matter though?
It just mattered because we were trying to understand who was the wack mfer who was selling alibaba mk2s at a markup under the guise that they were "the new next best lens". and also we wanted to know if the o'sheas were price gouging mk1s

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #933 on: November 15, 2022, 02:33:37 AM »
my vx battery is totally toast. what’s the best option? NOS or third party? if third party any links to recommended options would be much appreciated

nickpaolucci

« Reply #934 on: November 15, 2022, 06:28:07 AM »
my vx battery is totally toast. what’s the best option? NOS or third party? if third party any links to recommended options would be much appreciated

Third party ones work great. One of these will last an entire day of filming in most cases.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RKVDTNC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #935 on: November 17, 2022, 03:55:21 AM »
Never had problems with third party batteries, if anything most Sony batteries are reaching the point where they don't hold much charge. However, bear in mind some places will list batteries without the grooves. So either get hackin' at the sides or make sure before buying.

I've had to argue with one sender on eBay once and he ended up sending two of the correct ones to me in the end.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #936 on: November 18, 2022, 07:31:59 AM »
Never had a problem with third party batts

meadowsoprano

• Rep: -4
« Reply #937 on: February 03, 2023, 03:16:00 PM »
Anyone know the going rate for a used VX1000 these days? I've sort of been out of the loop since switching to HD but thinking of grabbing one again.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #938 on: February 03, 2023, 04:08:17 PM »
Anyone know the going rate for a used VX1000 these days? I've sort of been out of the loop since switching to HD but thinking of grabbing one again.

You can find them for like 450-550 buy it now. Parts are getting more and more scarce!

TeethInc.

• Rep: 5
« Reply #939 on: February 04, 2023, 10:10:16 AM »
Anyone have any tips on filming in low light? I got a VX2 (which I've seen people saying is good for low light filming) but have no clue what kinda settings I should use etc.
Will probably be filming with wide angle or straight (instead of fisheye) as it's not just skating I'm filming.
Any advice is appreciated, bless up.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #940 on: February 04, 2023, 11:25:47 AM »
Anyone have any tips on filming in low light? I got a VX2 (which I've seen people saying is good for low light filming) but have no clue what kinda settings I should use etc.
Will probably be filming with wide angle or straight (instead of fisheye) as it's not just skating I'm filming.
Any advice is appreciated, bless up.

Def get a light. And the lowest f.stop you can get without too much grain. Not sure if that matters for your project.

Sidewalk Funk.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #941 on: February 24, 2023, 08:46:53 AM »
Wondering what others here do to create a smooth slo-mo when working with VX footage in Premiere Pro? Do you use the "Optical Flow" selection?

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #942 on: February 25, 2023, 07:40:06 PM »
Wondering what others here do to create a smooth slo-mo when working with VX footage in Premiere Pro? Do you use the "Optical Flow" selection?
idk it looks kinda gross imo. lowest i got is 40% slowmo because it turns 60fps into 24fps.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
i just got the datavideo DN-60 (switching over from the capture cam)

just also switched up computer and using premiere pro 2022.

is it me, or is the option to capture on premiere no longer available?

i believe you can't import thru memory card directly on this.

any tips on how to import/capture the clips?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image

Like other dude said. I personally wouldn't go below 50% slow mo

bataaard

• Rep: 40

premiere stopped supporting dv format mid 2020. some versions of PPro 2020 still support it, aswell as the versions that came before.

Thejumpoff

• Rep: 4

You can capture through QuickTime now. Just go to file>new movie recording and then once you hit stop it will make a clip that you can save.

Ziggy Schaap

PP doesn't support DV capture anymore & FCPX most of the times doesnt recognize the DN60, so I use (a little less shitty) Lifeflix DV importer software, still isnt as nice as PP as you still need to rename the files manually but it does the job.
@karaokeskate / karaokeskate.com

globe fusion

thanks for the replies.

i didnt get it to work on QT or lifeflix. i have a feeling its due to all the cables and adapters.

got it working on QT on an older MacBook.

I'm considering swapping the datavideo for the HVR-MRC1 for the fact that the HVR-MRC1 can import clips from the memory card directly.

linty

• Rep: 36
How many of you vx users have a piece of foam between the mic and the camera body? Is it out of necessity or something you picked up from other filmers?

turbo 2.0

• Rep: 52
How many of you vx users have a piece of foam between the mic and the camera body? Is it out of necessity or something you picked up from other filmers?

Necessary? No. Helpful? Yes.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
it's to avoid snapping of the microphone / microphone sagging.
i only put some foam between there when in storage/in the bag.

linty

• Rep: 36
Might jinx myself by typing this out but I've never experienced microphone sagging or gotten a board to the mic. I was just wondering if I've missed out on something essential all these years.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355

Same. Way less worried about an errant board hitting it while filming than some dumb bullshit happening while it’s in the bag and just getting crushed.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
Expand Quote
[close]

Same. Way less worried about an errant board hitting it while filming than some dumb bullshit happening while it’s in the bag and just getting crushed.

one of my biggest OCD triggers (and one reason why i really hated the VX) was that i could never shake the feeling that the microphone would break off from someone leaning on my camera bag or just something causing it to snap while it was put away. drove me insane.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
^ i always wondered whether it would affect the sound if you have some foam in between there while filming, so i never bothered to do that and i also was way less worried about a board hitting the mic compared to like something happening while stored in the backpack.
funny thing is, once we were visiting a homie in his city to skate and had some drinks while at it. then after the session we went into some kind of beer garden and had some more. we then drunkenly bombed some hill and while pretty drunk i slammed with my camera backpack on against some parking car. this caused the microphone to snap and its ribbon cable broke because i had not yet used this put-in-foam-when-in-storage method. i was pretty mad at myself as we - same crew - were going to fly to barcelona some weeks afterwards and i was worried that we would not be able to film properly. shout out to the ebay legend in canada who quickly sent me one across the pond for a very solid price, i replaced the broken one and we were able to film some great clips in 10 days of barcelona (with sound!). this was in 2016, man - time flies.

Sidewalk Funk.

• SLAP Pal
Anyone have the name or contact of someone that can buff scratches on the Mk1? I read about it on here awhile ago, but can't find the post/info now.

doyle

• Rep: 210
Anyone have the name or contact of someone that can buff scratches on the Mk1? I read about it on here awhile ago, but can't find the post/info now.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CpqeKaqJ-qU/

Sidewalk Funk.

• SLAP Pal
That was it! Thanks so much!

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000
Curious what light setups y'all use with your VX? There's one I commonly see, but not sure what it is exactly... it's like a skinny shoe-mount light with two bulbs stacked vertically. Anyone know what that is?
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.