Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 326852 times)

Reed Richards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #1140 on: October 03, 2019, 07:34:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Kind of want this Hopps deck while I can still find them because I heard the quality (Chapman wood?) is really underrated and Jahmal Williams is the man.  The thing is I actually want to skate it instead of put it on the wall, but I don't know if it's necessarily like sacrilegious given the subject matter.
[close]
I would say put it on the wall and skate another Hopps deck
[close]
Yeah, you're right.  I'll probably get one of these or see what they have at the local(s).

[close]

Posted this elsewhere AFAIK Chapman has no woodshop and outsources all pressing to Clutch. Last several boards I've seen have all had clutch shape stamps over the front truck. I think there was some further discussion of this and a link out to the clutch stamp meanings in the woodshop thread.

Also just my two cents but Chapman boards sucked anyway.
Yeah like a week after I posted this I emailed Theories of Atlantis and they told me they press the boards in their New York factory with Generator wood.  Still wanna get a Hopps board when I can.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1141 on: October 05, 2019, 12:39:09 AM »
I’ve finally convinced my little brother to try skating and I’m trying to decide on what wheels to get him.  He’s 23, 6’1”, built like a linebacker, and his main goals are to be able to cruise like its second nature and pop some decent ollies.  Since we live in Wisconsin a lot of our streets are beat to shit and due to his size I’m not sure what wheels to get him. I’ve never bought wheels for cruising myself.

I want wheels that will allow him to comfortably switch to smaller tech wheels if he ever chooses to so I was thinking something 54-56mm.

I’m eyeing up some 55mm 78A or 86A Ricta Clouds or some 55mm OJ Mini Super Juices.  Leaning towards the Clouds due to their shape being similar to a F4 Classic.  What do you guys think?  I have no experience with either.  Also if I go with the Clouds should I go 78A or 86A?

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #1142 on: October 05, 2019, 12:25:35 PM »
I’ve finally convinced my little brother to try skating and I’m trying to decide on what wheels to get him.  He’s 23, 6’1”, built like a linebacker, and his main goals are to be able to cruise like its second nature and pop some decent ollies.  Since we live in Wisconsin a lot of our streets are beat to shit and due to his size I’m not sure what wheels to get him. I’ve never bought wheels for cruising myself.

I want wheels that will allow him to comfortably switch to smaller tech wheels if he ever chooses to so I was thinking something 54-56mm.

I’m eyeing up some 55mm 78A or 86A Ricta Clouds or some 55mm OJ Mini Super Juices.  Leaning towards the Clouds due to their shape being similar to a F4 Classic.  What do you guys think?  I have no experience with either.  Also if I go with the Clouds should I go 78A or 86A?

I have never had either of those, but I have heard mixed reviews on the clouds. My buddy swears by the OJs though. Personally I have the the Chomp Ty Evans wheels on my film board and they work great but they are 62s. I would recommend something in the bones family.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #1143 on: October 05, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »

OJ 54 or 56 Keyframes, soft like the Super Juice but regular-shape.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #1144 on: October 05, 2019, 01:22:10 PM »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1145 on: October 05, 2019, 02:45:40 PM »
http://www.chutingstar.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Keyframe

use WHEELSDEAL promo code
$13.33 ground shipping  :-X :-X.. good deal otherwise for $22 wheels!

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #1146 on: October 05, 2019, 05:45:12 PM »
https://www.tactics.com/baker/t-funk-mega-90-skateboard-deck
9.0 baker deck
I’ll try and wait it out and scoop it on sale but will most likely fold this week and grab that and the neckface 8.5 deck full price. Bakers been putting out some decent graphics and different sizes I’m diggin

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #1147 on: October 06, 2019, 02:08:10 AM »
https://www.tactics.com/baker/t-funk-mega-90-skateboard-deck
9.0 baker deck
I’ll try and wait it out and scoop it on sale but will most likely fold this week and grab that and the neckface 8.5 deck full price. Bakers been putting out some decent graphics and different sizes I’m diggin

I got the kader 9 and it’s sick. This one is a 1/4 inch bigger I think but probably legit nonetheless
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

ramplocal

• Rep: 62
  • poser
« Reply #1148 on: October 06, 2019, 03:20:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Kind of want this Hopps deck while I can still find them because I heard the quality (Chapman wood?) is really underrated and Jahmal Williams is the man.  The thing is I actually want to skate it instead of put it on the wall, but I don't know if it's necessarily like sacrilegious given the subject matter.
[close]
[close]
Yeah, you're right.  I'll probably get one of these or see what they have at the local(s).

[close]

Posted this elsewhere AFAIK Chapman has no woodshop and outsources all pressing to Clutch. Last several boards I've seen have all had clutch shape stamps over the front truck. I think there was some further discussion of this and a link out to the clutch stamp meanings in the woodshop thread.

Just saw the popsicle decks on sale at tactics, $45 dollars shipped, might have to get 1 or 2 when i get paid. Always wanted to try hopps. Also that in loving memory deck is beautiful, that wld be an awesome one to hang

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1149 on: October 06, 2019, 03:35:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Just saw the popsicle decks on sale at tactics, $45 dollars shipped, might have to get 1 or 2 when i get paid. Always wanted to try hopps. Also that in loving memory deck is beautiful, that wld be an awesome one to hang

The black stained pink popsicle 8.5 deck they have in stock is sexy af. Wish I rode an 8.5 cuz I’d cop that last one they have in stock then

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #1150 on: October 06, 2019, 07:33:31 PM »

He probably needs a big board like Gonz rides, 215 indys with the special pivot cups
And 60mm spitfire classics. Make sure to get him some sick colored shortys hardware, new skaters love that shit. Also find a manager at a Zumiez that can give him a custom grip job. I convinced my brother to skate and then he quit a week later so if I were you I’d just pick out the perfect big cruiser board for yourself cuz that shits gonna be yours big bro
Def get 15” wheelbase and 169s on a 8.74-9.26 deck
I’ve been riding 169s on 8.75 and it’s the shit and get some keyframe OJs in whatever size you want and make sure to get some colored hardware because veteran skaters like you love that shit.
MAKE SURE TO GET BONES SWISS, he’ll be paying for them but you’ll be riding them in the end. Shred bros for 2020
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 07:35:15 PM by Yesterdays-pop »

jimstolz

• Rep: -82
« Reply #1151 on: October 06, 2019, 07:45:12 PM »
Nothing with Mark Suciu's name on it, obviously.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #1152 on: October 07, 2019, 11:38:09 AM »
Thinking about picking up some 5.8 Venture Titaniums and some 51mm F4 Tablets.

Someone is selling a gently used set of Ti 5.8 Ventures in the classifieds for a steal. I was gonna scoop them but my set is still pretty new
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1153 on: October 07, 2019, 12:22:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Thinking about picking up some 5.8 Venture Titaniums and some 51mm F4 Tablets.
[close]

Someone is selling a gently used set of Ti 5.8 Ventures in the classifieds for a steal. I was gonna scoop them but my set is still pretty new

Found the post, Good looking out.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #1154 on: October 07, 2019, 02:27:33 PM »
I want to move up to 8.18

Not a huge fan of fa but this graphic is so good. On the other hand, I'd love to support studio but am nervous about their woodshop.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #1155 on: October 07, 2019, 05:09:19 PM »

Not a huge fan of fa but this graphic is so good. On the other hand, I'd love to support studio but am nervous about their woodshop.

Both of those look very rad.
I just looked at some HOCKEY/FA boards and the shapes are odd/compelling. Noses. Long, steep, blunt noses.
I’ve had some hitek boards, pressed by control, and I really liked em. The ones I rode did feel different: flat, the edge of the board less rounded, felt good. Wood was crisp.
That isn’t any help.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1156 on: October 07, 2019, 05:35:21 PM »
Going to give in and get an egg shaped deck. Always wanted one but also felt like it didn't match with my skating. Whatever. I'm feeling pretty excited.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1157 on: October 07, 2019, 05:44:47 PM »
Thinking about joining the trend and get a pair of ventures. Also want to try out a Ishod twin tail deck, they have one that’s a slick also that I might get

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1158 on: October 07, 2019, 05:51:03 PM »
Expand Quote

Not a huge fan of fa but this graphic is so good. On the other hand, I'd love to support studio but am nervous about their woodshed.

[close]

I just looked at some HOCKEY/FA boards and the shapes are odd/compelling. Noses. Long, steep, blunt noses.
I’ve had some hitek boards, pressed by control, and I really liked em. The ones I rode did feel different: flat, the edge of the board less rounded, felt good. Wood was crisp.
That isn’t any help.

That's actually quite a bit of help - thanks

What was the tail like on the hockey/fa stuff?

Seduction

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1159 on: October 07, 2019, 06:16:41 PM »

Just copped that Hockey deck. K-rod’s graphics are always sick.

I’m building a smaller setup with this new Hockey 8.18
Contemplating Ace 33’s and Spitfire tablets or Radial slims, 52mm.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1160 on: October 07, 2019, 06:27:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Not a huge fan of fa but this graphic is so good. On the other hand, I'd love to support studio but am nervous about their woodshed.

[close]

That isn’t any help.
[close]

That's actually quite a bit of help - thanks

What was the tail like on the hockey/fa stuff?

This is just from pulling them off the wall and looking at em like I knew what I was looking for. Which I do not. What sticks out was the disparity between the nose and tail. Tail shorter, and just less loud, less steep. Compelling. Fuckin fa/hockey definitely makes some interesting stuff. The shape(s) looked so different from the near twin shapes that are common. There is no mistaking which way the board is going.
My only control experience has been hitek, the dude is really nice, the shapes are cool. The boards I tried were narrow. The wood was crisp and continued to have that loud pop sound, even as the pop disappeared. The boards felt stiff.
My best and worst boards have always been ps. Some duds. But some winners for sure.
I am in the gear crisis, and have been switching all things, which is just a poor plan, too many variables. 8.18 ish sounds great. What trucks are you using?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1161 on: October 07, 2019, 06:30:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

33s are really dope. I gave mine to a friend in need (less noble and more me just buying too much shit and then giving it away only to buy more). I’ve tried the 44s, love the turn, maybe a bit too heavy but for me.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1162 on: October 07, 2019, 08:57:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

33s are really dope. I gave mine to a friend in need (less noble and more me just buying too much shit and then giving it away only to buy more). I’ve tried the 44s, love the turn, maybe a bit too heavy but for me.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Hockey deck too.

Would recommend 44's on it though. I'm riding 44's on an 8.12 and I couldn't imagine it any other way.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1163 on: October 08, 2019, 07:41:17 AM »

1992 SPECIAL SHAPE
9.25" (WIDEST POINT) X 32"
NOSE: 6.875"
WHEEL BASE: 14.25"
TAIL: 6.625"
MANUFACTURED BY BBS

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1164 on: October 08, 2019, 10:04:46 AM »
I wanna buy a Roger cuz I never copped one back in the day but they all have a 14" wb. Not sure if I should get an 8.38 to put with my thunder 149s or an 8.5 to put with my indy 159s. I'm a tall guy and currently skating a 14.25" wb on indys. my other setup is a 14.5" wb on thunders and it feels too long. Also I've got big feet.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1165 on: October 08, 2019, 10:15:01 AM »
I wanna buy a Roger cuz I never copped one back in the day but they all have a 14" wb. Not sure if I should get an 8.38 to put with my thunder 149s or an 8.5 to put with my indy 159s. I'm a tall guy and currently skating a 14.25" wb on indys. my other setup is a 14.5" wb on thunders and it feels too long. Also I've got big feet.
how tall and still too long? I’m 6’4” and considering something longer wb

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1166 on: October 08, 2019, 10:24:34 AM »
how tall and still too long? I’m 6’4” and considering something longer wb
6' 2". I feel like I have to think too hard about where I put my feet when I ollie and when I stand in the pockets for slappies it feels whacked. The longer board is a little nicer to catch though.

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #1167 on: October 08, 2019, 08:08:36 PM »

I'm really tempted to just say fuck it and try out the magnesium destructo D1s. They're the only truck I haven't skated myself and there isn't a ton of info on them (I haven't skated V3 theeves either but the V2s I had got really warped mounting holes and as far as I know the base plates are the same between revisions). I don't need them right away, I'm just super curious if I'd like them or not.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #1168 on: October 08, 2019, 08:21:33 PM »
adidas gazelle or chuck taylors
which is better? i can imagine gazelle will last longer

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #1169 on: October 08, 2019, 08:38:46 PM »
adidas gazelle or chuck taylors
which is better? i can imagine gazelle will last longer
Are you talking about the skate converse or regular converse. If it's the regular converse you're better off just wrapping your feet in cardboard.
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn