Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324612 times)

Bold and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #1170 on: October 08, 2019, 08:53:03 PM »
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwigreeno47lAhWTguYKHY2WBeQQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.isograff.com%2Fside-mission-series%2F&psig=AOvVaw3PfJc5WTRFsbTypQniopAn&ust=1570679517539932

Someone posted a (gripped) Arto Saari board on my local 2nd hand app. Won't skate it, probably kept in my storage box since Arto is right up there in my top 5 list.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1171 on: October 08, 2019, 10:58:27 PM »
I don’t need anything new skate related for a good while but for some reason I want to buy a Krooked Zig Zagger. I love the punk point shape and dimensions seem really good to me otherwise too.

(Un?)fortunately they seem to be quite hard to come by in Europe currently at least. Not a fan of the graphics so I’d probably just sand ‘em off. 🤔

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #1172 on: October 09, 2019, 02:10:55 AM »
Expand Quote
adidas gazelle or chuck taylors
which is better? i can imagine gazelle will last longer
[close]
Are you talking about the skate converse or regular converse. If it's the regular converse you're better off just wrapping your feet in cardboard.
are there skate high chuck taylors ? I mean like the vans and vans pro? I thought they're all the same

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1173 on: October 09, 2019, 02:14:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Are you talking about the skate converse or regular converse. If it's the regular converse you're better off just wrapping your feet in cardboard.
[close]
are there skate high chuck taylors ? I mean like the vans and vans pro? I thought they're all the same

There’s a night and day difference between the skate chucks and normal chucks. Even more so than on Vans I’d say. The skate chucks are called the CTAS Pros and they’re pretty good for skating if you want to support Converse. They make highs and lows. More lows though it seems but the highs seem to be available all the time also.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #1174 on: October 09, 2019, 02:18:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

There’s a night and day difference between the skate chucks and normal chucks. Even more so than on Vans I’d say. The skate chucks are called the CTAS Pros and they’re pretty good for skating if you want to support Converse. They make highs and lows. More lows though it seems but the highs seem to be available all the time also.
I didnt know that thanks!  :)

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1175 on: October 09, 2019, 08:38:32 AM »
Thinking of getting my first pair of indys. I’ve always ridden thunders but now I’ve been skating very loose trucks and I get tons of wheelbite and it also feels as if independent turns quicker and sharper if that makes sense. My trucks are pretty old but that shouldn’t matter right?

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #1176 on: October 09, 2019, 09:48:57 AM »
Expand Quote
I wanna buy a Roger cuz I never copped one back in the day but they all have a 14" wb. Not sure if I should get an 8.38 to put with my thunder 149s or an 8.5 to put with my indy 159s. I'm a tall guy and currently skating a 14.25" wb on indys. my other setup is a 14.5" wb on thunders and it feels too long. Also I've got big feet.
[close]
how tall and still too long? I’m 6’4” and considering something longer wb

I'm almost positive all? Roger decks have 14.5 WB. Because I still haven't got a Weed and Cobras deck. If it was 14.0 I would have jumped on it. Call up NoComply to confirm? Can't imagine anyone in ATX skating a 14. lol

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1177 on: October 09, 2019, 10:24:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wanna buy a Roger cuz I never copped one back in the day but they all have a 14" wb. Not sure if I should get an 8.38 to put with my thunder 149s or an 8.5 to put with my indy 159s. I'm a tall guy and currently skating a 14.25" wb on indys. my other setup is a 14.5" wb on thunders and it feels too long. Also I've got big feet.
[close]
[close]

I'm almost positive all? Roger decks have 14.5 WB. Because I still haven't got a Weed and Cobras deck. If it was 14.0 I would have jumped on it. Call up NoComply to confirm? Can't imagine anyone in ATX skating a 14. lol
Oh fr? I'll ask, I was just going off the measurements on Tactics

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #1178 on: October 09, 2019, 12:42:55 PM »
This Anti Hero. 8.75" x 31.8" with 14.25" wheelbase.
It's not quite full egg shape but much eggier than my usual square AF quasi boards, and i feel like trying something new
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1179 on: October 09, 2019, 02:25:45 PM »
It's not quite full egg shape but much eggier than my usual square AF quasi boards, and i feel like trying something new

That board looks rad. I kept missing it when it came in at the shop. Eventually forgot about it and bought something else, but the shape/dimensions seemed really fun. I bought the black widow, I think it was an 8.25 tho, and some ventures and hated everything, which is just my sucking not a commentary on the equipment.

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #1180 on: October 09, 2019, 02:40:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[board pic]
[close]

That board looks rad. I kept missing it when it came in at the shop. Eventually forgot about it and bought something else, but the shape/dimensions seemed really fun. I bought the black widow, I think it was an 8.25 tho, and some ventures and hated everything, which is just my sucking not a commentary on the equipment.
I think the black widow is an 8.5" at the widest point but probably feels more like an 8.25"
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1181 on: October 09, 2019, 03:32:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[board pic]
[close]

[close]
I think the black widow is an 8.5" at the widest point but probably feels more like an 8.25"

After seeing one in the setup thread, I'm def getting a black widow even though it's a little smaller than what I run these days. That Russo shape looks hot too though.

Water is Nice

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1182 on: October 10, 2019, 11:08:16 PM »
Looking on the thunder 151 lights with hollow kingpin and solid axle or blue ace 55s for Dane 1 shape 9.75 widest and 8.75 over back truck. Thunder is lighter which is nice but ace has deeper turning. Also thunders are on sale so they are cheaper. Any thoughts?

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #1183 on: October 11, 2019, 04:34:36 AM »
Been eyeing up some ACE. I really like the way they look. Rode some of the early sets and liked the performance, unfortunately both sets bent axles and now I'm hesitant to give them a third go.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #1184 on: October 11, 2019, 07:46:26 AM »
I don’t need anything new skate related for a good while but for some reason I want to buy a Krooked Zig Zagger. I love the punk point shape and dimensions seem really good to me otherwise too.

(Un?)fortunately they seem to be quite hard to come by in Europe currently at least. Not a fan of the graphics so I’d probably just sand ‘em off. 🤔

Do it!! I had a Zip Zinger nano and it was one of my most fond decks.

The shape is so damn fun and could only get more fun in a bigger size.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1185 on: October 11, 2019, 08:32:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha! Guess what I just picked up today?

This:

Was on sale at a skate shop in here in Finland so I had to get it. Graphics I don't like at all and it's fully dipped. I wonder if it has any colored plies. Still probably gonna sand it down anyway cuz even pure unstained wood is better than that graphic. 🤔

Shape seems really fun indeed.  :)

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1186 on: October 11, 2019, 08:37:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ha! Guess what I just picked up today?

This:

Was on sale at a skate shop in here in Finland so I had to get it. Graphics I don't like at all and it's fully dipped. I wonder if it has any colored plies. Still probably gonna sand it down anyway cuz even pure unstained wood is better than that graphic. 🤔

Shape seems really fun indeed.  :)

I have one of those st up to fuck around on, put 58mm spit OG classics on it. Fun as hell
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Freight Train

« Reply #1187 on: October 11, 2019, 08:45:12 AM »
Santa Cruz Winkowski Ghost Deck 10.34 x 30.54
Independent Stage 11 Hi 215 Trucks
OJ Hot Juice Mini 78A 55mm Wheels

Looking to set up a board for filming and cruising to the store. Never had a deck with such a short wheelbase so I'm not going to be trying a lot of ollie-based tricks on it, that's for sure. Love the shape and graphic though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:31:52 AM by Freight Train »

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1188 on: October 11, 2019, 11:00:56 PM »
Short? I think 15 is long and I like long wheel bases.
The deck rides super good and ollies nicely because of the concave that is a bit more like a spoon.
Super nice.
215 and the fat ojs will make for a suuuuper wide ride, I think more than you need and will be constructive for cruising. You’ll have to ride them very loose to get a good turn out of them so you’ll need 1/4 risers minimum, better stack an extra 1/8 on there.
215 with narrower wheels are super good on there, like 54 key frames, for example. Also they are so much lighter and don’t fuck up that fast.

Or 169s maybe ace 66 as happy medium, maybe 55s with wide wheels

If trucks get too wide on soft wheels and especially square ones feel too much like on tracks for me, if that makes sense.

PMA

Freight Train

« Reply #1189 on: October 12, 2019, 07:38:20 AM »
Thanks for the tips, I didn't realize it was a 15 inch wheelbase, the deck is supposedly 30.54" long so I assumed it was short. Great info though glad you chimed in, will be sure to get some 1/4" risers if I pull the trigger on this setup.

EDIT: Is it really 30.54" or is that a typo on Skate Warehouse?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:41:02 AM by Freight Train »

Freight Train

« Reply #1190 on: October 12, 2019, 11:18:05 AM »

How wide are Ace 66's? I thought they were the same as 215's. I have rode Indys since the 80s I know nothing about other truck brands except for having a few pairs of Krux.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1191 on: October 12, 2019, 12:17:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How wide are Ace 66's? I thought they were the same as 215's. I have rode Indys since the 80s I know nothing about other truck brands except for having a few pairs of Krux.
I rode mine with Ace 55 and they fit perfectly. The Winkowski gets pretty skinny in the back truck area so I think 215s would be way too wide. If you aren’t a fan of ace, 169s also work well.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1192 on: October 12, 2019, 12:44:23 PM »
Looking on the thunder 151 lights with hollow kingpin and solid axle or blue ace 55s for Dane 1 shape 9.75 widest and 8.75 over back truck. Thunder is lighter which is nice but ace has deeper turning. Also thunders are on sale so they are cheaper. Any thoughts?

I have the Ace 55 in blue on my 8.8 wide Scram board right now and while they are a bit heavy, but do turn really nice and fit perfectly

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1193 on: October 12, 2019, 12:48:35 PM »
Santa Cruz Winkowski Ghost Deck 10.34 x 30.54
Independent Stage 11 Hi 215 Trucks
OJ Hot Juice Mini 78A 55mm Wheels

Looking to set up a board for filming and cruising to the store. Never had a deck with such a short wheelbase so I'm not going to be trying a lot of ollie-based tricks on it, that's for sure. Love the shape and graphic though.

Nice, I have that Winkowski deck (not the glow in the dark one, the normal ghost one) on my cruiser with some Indy 169’s/Ricta cloud 54’s and its great. I wish there was more concave, but I’m getting used to it. I felt the same about ollie based tricks, but I noticed if I keep my foot slightly further back than usual and squat deeper into my ollie tricks before popping I can do everything fine. The 2nd slight kick on the edge of the tail is a weird feel that takes getting used to though. All in all, its super fun to ride
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 12:52:38 PM by Sundaynuggets »

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 9
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #1194 on: October 12, 2019, 06:07:02 PM »

Not me but a buddy wants to try theeve. Anyone know if theeve updated anything from the v1/v2 to v3 trucks besides fixing the bushing problem? I read the base plate is the same but some people were saying the the turn was different? And that the casting of the trucks looked a bit different. Asked in the truck thread but figured I might have better luck here.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1195 on: October 13, 2019, 04:34:24 AM »

Not me but a buddy wants to try theeve. Anyone know if theeve updated anything from the v1/v2 to v3 trucks besides fixing the bushing problem? I read the base plate is the same but some people were saying the the turn was different? And that the casting of the trucks looked a bit different. Asked in the truck thread but figured I might have better luck here.

Today I learned, Theeve is still around

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #1196 on: October 13, 2019, 08:26:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Ace 55  fit perfectly.

Can second this. Its also worth noting that Winkowski rides 149's.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1197 on: October 13, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Ace 55  fit perfectly.
[close]

Can second this. Its also worth noting that Winkowski rides 149's.

Really? I would have figured 159s.
I’m never not interested in hearing what the skaters actually ride.

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 9
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #1198 on: October 13, 2019, 10:49:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Today I learned, Theeve is still around

What got me was learning mystery is a thing again and theeve now owns them. But yeah not a lot of current info on the trucks.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #1199 on: October 13, 2019, 11:27:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Rogers have long wheelbases. I had a 8.0 and it was either a 14 or 14.1.  Anything bigger I’m pretty sure runs larger. Shoot roger a dm or pugwizard and they can get you straight.

I should also add that I skated mine for maybe 3 sessions but it was soooooo flat I couldn’t deal with it. OG roger shapes on ps were always great but I can’t seem to find a balance with the new runs and I’ve had the 8.25 and the 8.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 11:35:18 AM by Esmith5488 »