Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324555 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2016, 10:15:54 PM »
Trying to find a deck that's a b16 but smaller but with a longer WB. Don't think they exist.

calvinsdream

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2016, 06:52:16 AM »
Trying to find a deck that's a b16 but smaller but with a longer WB. Don't think they exist.

The antihero bino hero boards were 8.43 with a 15" wb. Their shape seems slightly rounder than a b16 though.

micky682

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2016, 07:00:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The antihero bino hero boards were 8.43 with a 15" wb. Their shape seems slightly rounder than a b16 though.
Yeah check out Anti Hero boards. They have some 8.4, 8.43, and a 8.5 all similar dimensions to the b16. The 8.4 and 8.5 (Navy Eagle logo) have 14.25 wheel base same as the b16. The 8.43 (usually a Grant board) has a 14.75 wheel base. They all probably have a different concave than the b16. If AH made a flat b16 it would be all I buy.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2016, 09:56:27 AM »
Those aren't much smaller :P I'm thinking 8.25 or less.

What I really like about the shape is the fatness, not the width persay. Wide round noses, not pointy and not long and not oval I guess? More like a full nose but not squared off.

FWIW The new powell flight decks can also be had in a very similar B16 shape.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:00:16 AM by Xen »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2016, 10:19:18 AM »
The DLX "full" shapes are all pretty long with 14.3/.4 wheels bases I think. The 8.25 full I had was way too long for my liking.
you never know about pre-cum 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2016, 10:30:19 AM »
The DLX "full" shapes are all pretty long with 14.3/.4 wheels bases I think. The 8.25 full I had was way too long for my liking.

The DLX full shapes are indeed perfect, but like you said, the 8.25 full (I still have the OG brock sitting around) feels too long, it's like 32.25 ish or something with 14.5" WB, it's pretty beasty and just feels like an 8.3 if they made the 8.18 in a full - I think they'd nail that sweet spot between 8/8.25 with something that feels a bit beefier and closer to an 8.25.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2016, 10:32:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The DLX full shapes are indeed perfect, but like you said, the 8.25 full (I still have the OG brock sitting around) feels too long, it's like 32.25 ish or something with 14.5" WB, it's pretty beasty and just feels like an 8.3 if they made the 8.18 in a full - I think they'd nail that sweet spot between 8/8.25 with something that feels a bit beefier and closer to an 8.25.

I recently switched from the Real 8.25 full because I fell out of love with the length. Way too long for me now. I switched it up to the Polar 8.25x31.75 (I think that's the length, under 32 though) and I like it a lot better. They have some pretty big fat noses and tails on them too. So maybe check those out.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2016, 12:41:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I recently switched from the Real 8.25 full because I fell out of love with the length. Way too long for me now. I switched it up to the Polar 8.25x31.75 (I think that's the length, under 32 though) and I like it a lot better. They have some pretty big fat noses and tails on them too. So maybe check those out.

I'd have to bite sight unseen (done more times than I care to state, and usually it's failure...*stares at a stack of decks*). My only shops that are really local is an active (pretty decent selection) that usually stacks whatever is hot, tho to their credit they do carry the likes of Wayward, Blood Wizard, Pizza, .sml and another that is 'core' to the area but is mainly Indy, Bones, Spitfire, Thunder (but will try and sell you indy), AH, Creature, Welcome...

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2016, 01:13:14 PM »
Go down to active and spend an hour standing on shit. I tend to buy less if I go in to the shop and figure it out than randomly buying decks online and hoping for the best because they're cheap and available. I've also had to set aside my ego and come to terms that it doesn't matter what I'm riding, I'm still hot garbage on a skateboard.

That being said, girl GO16 is pretty tight, not what you're looking for, but I like it. 8.37 X 31.75, 14.25wb.
you never know about pre-cum 

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
Ive gotta get a second pair of walkers too! I'm really getting used to the feel of cups (even though KW's are half-cup), I don't think I can go back to floppy vulcs.

well i was being done thinking about getting another pair of the kyle walkers as i woke up from an little nap and checked the vans site for discounts.....couldn't say no and impulse ordered the white ones again! this impulse buying is getting out of hand....

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2016, 01:49:22 PM »
In the process of selling my car so hopefully soon

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2016, 01:56:23 PM »
Go down to active and spend an hour standing on shit. I tend to buy less if I go in to the shop and figure it out than randomly buying decks online and hoping for the best because they're cheap and available. I've also had to set aside my ego and come to terms that it doesn't matter what I'm riding, I'm still hot garbage on a skateboard.

That being said, girl GO16 is pretty tight, not what you're looking for, but I like it. 8.37 X 31.75, 14.25wb.

I do that all the time =D I'm still a hot mess as well but I know what feels right and it's a WB right between 14.25 and 14.5, not too cramped not too long. It's fucking whimsical, OCD and petty but I can't shake it. I should just force myself back onto DLX (after skating a P2 and powell flight back to back, everything feel like a wet log to me) and go in for the 8.25x32x14.38wb
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:16:34 PM by Xen »

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2016, 02:27:32 PM »

That'd be a rad wall hanger.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2016, 07:00:13 PM »

im honestly considering buying these poser shits again since size 13 accels in all black are sold out everywhere and i need my fix

Rick Howards Root Beer

• Rep: 2
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2016, 11:54:19 PM »
Anyone skated the Emerica Indicator? I didnt get on with Huf Classics  so im hoping this will skate more to how i like but still have the same look.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2016, 02:26:04 AM »
Anyone skated the Emerica Indicator? I didnt get on with Huf Classics  so im hoping this will skate more to how i like but still have the same look.

didn't skate them, but tried them on at the shop. i am not into the toecaps too much cause they hurt my toes in a weird way (all of these toe cap shoes!)

compared to the huf classic they got a VERY thin sole that is also part felt material. Friend of mine skated the indicators and they seemed to last for him. personally i am not a fan of the emerica vulc sole and prefer their cupsole options- but whatever floeats your boat i guess!

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2017, 06:21:41 PM »
Real tempted to get this board for the save pile.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2017, 06:33:54 PM »

it's a beauty! I went through a hardcore FYP phase a while back and was convinced that I needed this in my life. I mean, I still need it in my life but it's not as easy to justify buying boards just for the sake of it (esp. with wife/ kid combo).
I'm currently thinking about a new pair of kicks and am lurking on:
eS selsa - the colourway eric ricks and I are talking about in the other thread
NB# - arto's shoe in brown
lakai - these joints: http://lakai.com/collections/weather-treated/griffin-wt-black-16fa (although the XLK midtop version looks nice too!)
any thoughts from anyone who has actually skated any of them?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

not_ericricks

• Rep: -65
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2017, 07:27:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
it's a beauty! I went through a hardcore FYP phase a while back and was convinced that I needed this in my life. I mean, I still need it in my life but it's not as easy to justify buying boards just for the sake of it (esp. with wife/ kid combo).
I'm currently thinking about a new pair of kicks and am lurking on:
eS selsa - the colourway eric ricks and I are talking about in the other thread
NB# - arto's shoe in brown
lakai - these joints: http://lakai.com/collections/weather-treated/griffin-wt-black-16fa (although the XLK midtop version looks nice too!)
any thoughts from anyone who has actually skated any of them?

I have it on very good authority the weather treated griffen is an awesome shoe.

Lakai has really hit it outta the park on the griffen and the freemont
I stand one step above you like a pharmacist

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »
I have it on very good authority the weather treated griffen is an awesome shoe.
do tell!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

not_ericricks

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2017, 07:56:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
do tell!

Friends with the homies at ripped laces.

They have never steered me wrong.

Outside of the articles(which I enjoy), talking to them is different. Its not a "group conclusion" so to speak

not_ericricks

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2017, 08:00:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That'd be a rad wall hanger.

That board is fuckin great!

Must resist urge to collect boards

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2017, 12:00:26 AM »
Not really worth starting a new thread.....but I've been skating that Powell flight deck and my thoughts are that its not much lighter.... Concave is good....full shape is good....snappy without feeling too stiff....holds its shape really well....doesn't feel soggy at all.....but still razors at the same rate or quicker.....overall if they were the same price I'd maybe keep buying them....but I'd rather just skate my regular board of choice..

Would probably best suit people who break boards...and don't scrape through all their tricks like me....

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2017, 08:00:30 AM »

waiting for this to get in the shops, I don't wanna pay that shipping fee from JK. But will difinitly get 2

want this for the wall, but i got a bunch of nintendo shit to buy...

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2017, 06:05:50 PM »
I'm currently going through this harrowing decision of sizing down on my current set up.

I've been slowly going up over time, currently riding a 9" with 159's.  I always thought riding a wider set-up helped my balance (which is not a strong point).

Now I'm wondering if maybe a tad smaller set up, like 8.5 with 149's, would be better?  Anybody make the decision to size down and find it helpful? 

I really miss the days when I didn't care about this shit. 

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2017, 05:19:18 AM »
i think about getting a pair of the converse breakpoints (regular ones, not the pro ones if there even is a difference)- not sure about the fit though! i have to go down a full size in the skate chucks but only had to go down a half size in sumners, one stars are full size down for me too! so if anybody got some info on the fit of the breakpoints please let me know! thanks guys

jpmulls

• Rep: 6
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2017, 08:57:07 AM »
I really miss the days when I didn't care about this shit. 

Ditto

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2017, 10:31:05 AM »
I really want to try those Thunder Team Hollows

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2017, 11:29:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What the hell?  Are these out?  I have two of these when they did a small run in 2002ish.  Shape looks a little different.

http://jeremyklein.com/collections/frontpage/products/todd-congelliere-mug-shot-hand-screened-9-75-x-31-75

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2017, 02:55:57 PM »
Indy hollow lights. changing trucks is a rough process for me so I'll wait until adding to the "grinding down to the axle" topic.