Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324693 times)

botefdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »
thinking bout some mid-range bauers, I don't go hard enough for the real stiff ones

not_ericricks

• Rep: -65
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2017, 04:21:15 PM »
Drake Jones Western Edition deck when it comes out
I stand one step above you like a pharmacist

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 29
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2017, 06:01:17 PM »
Looking for Theeve titanium allen hardware but only finding philips available. Anyone know where to find them in allen or cheaper than $18?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:13:25 PM by MaitlandPrivado »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2017, 06:53:06 PM »
Contemplating the punk point nose. Who uses the better woodshop or does anyone have experience with either shape?

Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2017, 07:21:48 AM »
Contemplating the punk point nose. Who uses the better woodshop or does anyone have experience with either shape?

the black label 8.68" jason adams one is awesome. you won't be dissapointed.
good come sausage

Trey Phillip

• Rep: 0
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2017, 12:40:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the black label 8.68" jason adams one is awesome. you won't be dissapointed.
A nice round tail always works out good and if you haven't had Nhs wood before you might not like it. Id go for the label!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:55:57 PM by Trey Phillip »

crowned

• Rep: -1
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2017, 03:02:14 PM »
Going to buy my first board in ages, an 8", 14.25 wheelbase (I'm 6'3") from either Evisen, Northern CO, Zoo York, or 5boro (reading threads makes me think that South Central wood is the way to go).

Thunder trucks (deciding on solid or hollow trucks. Thoughts?)
Bones STF (deciding diameter... thoughts?)
Bones Swiss bearings (thoughts?)

I want to learn flip tricks and slides and a bit of park / bowl action, there are dozens of skateparks around here.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2017, 03:09:27 PM »
Going to buy my first board in ages, an 8", 14.25 wheelbase (I'm 6'3") from either Evisen, Northern CO, Zoo York, or 5boro (reading threads makes me think that South Central wood is the way to go).

I want to learn flip tricks and slides and a bit of park / bowl action, there are dozens of skateparks around here.
I like regular trucks. If you're getting Thunders I wouldn't go above 53mm wheels unless you buy some risers too. Bones Swiss or Hard Luck ceramics are both amazing bearings.

crowned

• Rep: -1
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2017, 03:33:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I like regular trucks. If you're getting Thunders I wouldn't go above 53mm wheels unless you buy some risers too. Bones Swiss or Hard Luck ceramics are both amazing bearings.

Thanks.  Northern Co switched to Pennswood for whatever that's worth.  I'm leaning toward regular trucks and 52 or 53mm wheels.  I'll have a look at Hard Luck-

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2017, 04:15:59 PM »

I've had the BL shape and it felt great to me.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2017, 05:30:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Thanks.  Northern Co switched to Pennswood for whatever that's worth.  I'm leaning toward regular trucks and 52 or 53mm wheels.  I'll have a look at Hard Luck-

Northern is still South Central, only did a few boards with Pennswood
p-shuvs and v-flips

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2017, 12:08:55 PM »
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/bronson-speed-co/raw-bearings

Any one seen these? More expensive than the G3 and they said on the comments of their video that they're the same as them but "RAW Next Generation Bearings are designed to enhance the sound of SPEED. Equally fast, equally durable as G3 Bearings...but with greater sound... Hence the "Audible Speed Technology" feature" Sounds pretty whack.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2017, 12:10:40 PM »
It's probably like putting a card on your bicycle to make it loud and pretend you're in a motorcycle.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2017, 01:10:32 PM »
This bronson guy is a kook.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2017, 01:22:36 PM »
I don't know if you're calling me a kook or saying Bronsons suck. But both are true statements.

HFS40000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2017, 01:29:21 PM »
Those Habitat Twin Peaks decks are calling my name but I already have a couple extra decks lined up and I don't usually buy stuff for my wall unless it's cheap.  Maybe I'll settle for a Laura Palmer shirt once they get restocked.

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2017, 02:15:34 PM »
Little did I know back then that I could just have popped the shields on my shitty bmx instead of putting cardboard in the spokes...

Yossi

• Rep: 20
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2017, 07:36:13 AM »
Are there any skate (or other) insoles that are similar to the thick lunarlon insoles in the Koston 1 and 2? Trying to find something that fits well in the Kyle Walkers.

Joe Pesci

« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2017, 07:50:55 AM »
https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/bronson-speed-co/raw-bearings
[img]https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/BR_RAW_SingleCase_Angled_448x448.jpg[/img
Any one seen these? More expensive than the G3 and they said on the comments of their video that they're the same as them but "RAW Next Generation Bearings are designed to enhance the sound of SPEED. Equally fast, equally durable as G3 Bearings...but with greater sound... Hence the "Audible Speed Technology" feature" Sounds pretty whack.
Friend that gets Spitfire and Bronson sold me a set of f4s and these for the low, so far same as any other bearings, unsurprisingly

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2017, 08:40:35 AM »
But how is the "Audible Speed Technology"? Screw performance. I need them to sound good!

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2017, 09:09:07 AM »
Are there any skate (or other) insoles that are similar to the thick lunarlon insoles in the Koston 1 and 2? Trying to find something that fits well in the Kyle Walkers.
FP orthotics and gamechangers are that size

rails

• Rep: -50
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2017, 05:19:14 PM »
suggestions welcome on any/all of the four things:

- Vans classic slip-ons instead of authentic, fifty bucks

- the Ghetto Cowboy II deck, 8.12 by 32, around sixty-three bucks including grip-tape

- Bones medium bushings:
http://imgur.com/a/mSRwe
bought them two weeks ago and i've been skating in these bunch, it's my first set but i feel like the action is kind of squirrel-y opposed to the Independent bushings which offers a little more stability. particularly for traveling higher speeds and cruising transitions, Independent bushings seem a little better to me. bones bushings do seem immediately better for technical street, but i wonder if Independent bushings will be just as good over time without having any deficiencies in the higher speeds and transition areas.

- just got this set 52 mm:
http://i.imgur.com/akpXZTo.jpg
if you look at my posts in the Wheels Thread, ive been looking for wheels that offer a little more bearing slack for easier set up and removal. does anyone with experience with Girl wheels have any comment on this aspect, ideally before i open the package? also im a little hesitant regarding the Stout shape; i think the thinner Spitfire classics fit my feet size better. but maybe the Stout shape would be better if I size up to the Ghetto Cowboy deck? the wheels were 25 bucks.

for context, my present set-up:

50mm Spitfire Classics
assorted bearings - two Enjoi, two Speed Demons, two china Bones, one abec-3 Steadfast, one Spitfire cheapshots
Independent 139 - the series Independent was on in the year 2000.
7.75 by 31.75 Mini-Logo
Shorty's hardware
Jessup griptape
size 8 Vans authentic black:
http://imgur.com/a/c4UvI

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
suggestions welcome on any/all of the four things:

- Vans classic slip-ons instead of authentic, fifty bucks

- the Ghetto Cowboy II deck, 8.12 by 32, around sixty-three bucks including grip-tape

- Bones medium bushings:
http://imgur.com/a/mSRwe
bought them two weeks ago and i've been skating in these bunch, it's my first set but i feel like the action is kind of squirrel-y opposed to the Independent bushings which offers a little more stability. particularly for traveling higher speeds and cruising transitions, Independent bushings seem a little better to me. bones bushings do seem immediately better for technical street, but i wonder if Independent bushings will be just as good over time without having any deficiencies in the higher speeds and transition areas.

- just got this set 52 mm:
http://i.imgur.com/akpXZTo.jpg
if you look at my posts in the Wheels Thread, ive been looking for wheels that offer a little more bearing slack for easier set up and removal. does anyone with experience with Girl wheels have any comment on this aspect, ideally before i open the package? also im a little hesitant regarding the Stout shape; i think the thinner Spitfire classics fit my feet size better. but maybe the Stout shape would be better if I size up to the Ghetto Cowboy deck? the wheels were 25 bucks.

for context, my present set-up:

50mm Spitfire Classics
assorted bearings - two Enjoi, two Speed Demons, two china Bones, one abec-3 Steadfast, one Spitfire cheapshots
Independent 139 - the series Independent was on in the year 2000.
7.75 by 31.75 Mini-Logo
Shorty's hardware
Jessup griptape
size 8 Vans authentic black:
http://imgur.com/a/c4UvI

Let me ask you something: why do you want to have easily accessible bearings? Having them slip out of the core is quite a nagging issue for me. I had to force them back into place all the time, back when I was running shitty wheels, and having to fiddle with my board all of the time like if I was in Street League sucked. Ideally, you shouldn't have to touch them other than to clean them when they feel too bad.

rails

« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2017, 08:44:19 PM »
Let me ask you something: why do you want to have easily accessible bearings? Having them slip out of the core is quite a nagging issue for me. [...]

what wheels do u have? and are your four axle nuts very loose?

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2017, 09:18:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Let me ask you something: why do you want to have easily accessible bearings? Having them slip out of the core is quite a nagging issue for me. [...]
[close]

what wheels do u have? and are your four axle nuts very loose?

Nothing noteworthy. They were 49mm "Next" wheels, which are Moska's "entry-level" wheels... Brazilian brand. I've bought them for next to nothing in a sale. They slid great, screeched like a banshee. But you get what you pay for. I eventually gave them away. Tightening the nuts only made them slow down earlier, as the bearings would be pushed outwards and eventually get stuck. I tried to run them tight with washers and the inner spacer, but it wouldn't work too well.

rails

« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2017, 06:43:38 PM »
Nothing noteworthy. They were 49mm "Next" wheels, which are Moska's "entry-level" wheels... Brazilian brand. I've bought them for next to nothing in a sale. They slid great, screeched like a banshee. But you get what you pay for. I eventually gave them away. Tightening the nuts only made them slow down earlier, as the bearings would be pushed outwards and eventually get stuck. I tried to run them tight with washers and the inner spacer, but it wouldn't work too well.

is there anything noteworthy about your bearings? sometimes the cause can be on the bearing end not the wheels end

20matar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2017, 07:08:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

is there anything noteworthy about your bearings? sometimes the cause can be on the bearing end not the wheels end

No. I've only experienced that with those wheels, no matter what bearings I'd run.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2017, 02:46:15 AM »
I don't know if you're calling me a kook or saying Bronsons suck. But both are true statements.
Do Bronson's really suck all I've ever rode are bones and whatever I can get my hands on. Thought about trying em out

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2017, 08:26:33 AM »
Quote from: Bumpovertrash  link=topic=93150.msg2628727#msg2628727 date=1491471975
Expand Quote
[close]
Do Bronson's really suck all I've ever rode are bones and whatever I can get my hands on. Thought about trying em out

The cages break really easily. Easiest of all bearings I've had. Definitely wouldn't recommend them.