Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324627 times)

handsclapanin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #1110 on: September 20, 2019, 11:38:27 AM »
Has anyone skated the Cons Breakpoints or Checkpoints? I like how they look and I love how Cons skate, but their sizing stresses me out.

https://www.tactics.com/converse/checkpoint-pro-skate-shoes/black-white-white

https://www.tactics.com/converse/breakpoint-pro-skate-shoes/black-white-black

I've had 2 pairs of Breakpoints (got a pair on right now). TTS I would say. I wear a 9.5 in Emerica. And that is what these are. CONversely, I got a pair of CTAS low top in 9.5. Feels like a 10.5.
I wouldn't want to skate in the Breakpoints though. Not enough side support for my old feet. I just wear them as chillers.

Urethane Addict

« Reply #1111 on: September 20, 2019, 05:16:54 PM »
Polar big boy jeans. I’m almost 6’3” with a 36 waist but idk which size to get!

I just got a pair and they’re sick. I’m six foot or slightly taller and a size 34. I got the mediums and they fit similar to a 34 in the waist - I don’t need a belt but they’re not falling down either.

Length wise, the mediums should fit you perfect. It’s just a matter of whether you think you could squeeze into the waist. 

EDIT: Now I’m curious about the 93 jeans. Anyone know if the 32 would be a good fit? I want them baggy.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 05:24:01 PM by Urethane Addict »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #1112 on: September 20, 2019, 05:46:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone skated the Cons Breakpoints or Checkpoints? I like how they look and I love how Cons skate, but their sizing stresses me out.

https://www.tactics.com/converse/checkpoint-pro-skate-shoes/black-white-white

https://www.tactics.com/converse/breakpoint-pro-skate-shoes/black-white-black
[close]

I've had 2 pairs of Breakpoints (got a pair on right now). TTS I would say. I wear a 9.5 in Emerica. And that is what these are. CONversely, I got a pair of CTAS low top in 9.5. Feels like a 10.5.
I wouldn't want to skate in the Breakpoints though. Not enough side support for my old feet. I just wear them as chillers.

Appreciate the info! I was just about to go order them when I noticed that they just came out with an off white CTA high in suede, so I ended up grabbing that instead. Still might try some Breakpoints in the future though!

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1113 on: September 21, 2019, 03:07:51 PM »
I've been wanting to try a twin tail for a long time, thinking about picking up this Ishod board.

Also thinking about trying some of the new Pig Prime wheels but will likely end up with F4s.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1114 on: September 21, 2019, 05:40:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Polar big boy jeans. I’m almost 6’3” with a 36 waist but idk which size to get!
[close]

I just got a pair and they’re sick. I’m six foot or slightly taller and a size 34. I got the mediums and they fit similar to a 34 in the waist - I don’t need a belt but they’re not falling down either.

Length wise, the mediums should fit you perfect. It’s just a matter of whether you think you could squeeze into the waist. 

EDIT: Now I’m curious about the 93 jeans. Anyone know if the 32 would be a good fit? I want them baggy.
Yo thanks for the info!!! I’ll probably go with a large for no belt or XL if I’m feeling crazy haha. :)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1115 on: September 21, 2019, 06:22:59 PM »
I've been wanting to try a twin tail for a long time, thinking about picking up this Ishod board.

Also thinking about trying some of the new Pig Prime wheels but will likely end up with F4s.

IMO twin tails are nice. Skating an 8.5” right now. It’s nice to always have the board in the correct orientation. Also I feel like switch tricks are easier.

CaptainCheeks

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1116 on: September 22, 2019, 10:36:02 AM »
Venture 5.8 titanium or Indy 159 titanium prolly gone get the Indy's.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1117 on: September 22, 2019, 12:01:43 PM »

Report back. Both sound dope. 159s are so sick, but heavy. Interested to hear if it’s worth it for the ti

uncool old fart

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1118 on: September 22, 2019, 12:08:26 PM »
Nothing major, but I'm thinking of switching over to Diamond Supply allen hardware. Not a huge fan of Phillips, but I know a lot of folks would disagree with me on that.
At this point, I think I’ve seen Bam’s penis more than my own.

Pissedoff30y/oskatedad

• Rep: -57
« Reply #1119 on: September 22, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »
Nothing major, but I'm thinking of switching over to Diamond Supply allen hardware. Not a huge fan of Phillips, but I know a lot of folks would disagree with me on that.

Phillips hardware users either have poor style, and are tasteless in general

Pissedoff30y/oskatedad

« Reply #1120 on: September 22, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »
Was gonna buy a fucking deck today but money got fucked up. Wait another week.
I feel you. Went to buy a new FA deck and some Janoski air today and forgot my cell phone bill was drawn friday fml

CaptainCheeks

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1121 on: September 22, 2019, 02:09:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Report back. Both sound dope. 159s are so sick, but heavy. Interested to hear if it’s worth it for the ti

Indy 159 Ti are lighter than my Ace 44s by about just over 40 grams per truck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1122 on: September 22, 2019, 02:29:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Indy 159 Ti are lighter than my Ace 44s by about just over 40 grams per truck.

Dats a lot. I’ve never really figured out if the weight is the limiting factor for me....I know something (most things) don’t work as the board gets bigger, can’t figure out why. Main reason: I’m weak. 44s turn great, look cool, and are right in the cusp of being too much for me.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1123 on: September 22, 2019, 02:32:06 PM »
If you really want to buy jeans like it’s 93 you will give no fucks about the actual size or fit, go with size 40; the rest you can figure out with a dick belt and a pair of scissors

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Pissedoff30y/oskatedad

« Reply #1124 on: September 22, 2019, 07:08:43 PM »
Venture v lights 5.2
Spitfire classics 50mm

Gunna setup the dgk Kalis “love park” deck. Havent ridden a DGK since about 2006... lol

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #1125 on: September 23, 2019, 03:39:24 PM »

Kind of want this Hopps deck while I can still find them because I heard the quality (Chapman wood?) is really underrated and Jahmal Williams is the man.  The thing is I actually want to skate it instead of put it on the wall, but I don't know if it's necessarily like sacrilegious given the subject matter.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1126 on: September 24, 2019, 02:25:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Was gonna buy a fucking deck today but money got fucked up. Wait another week.
[close]
I feel you. Went to buy a new FA deck and some Janoski air today and forgot my cell phone bill was drawn friday fml

how fucking high is your cell bill

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #1127 on: September 24, 2019, 04:25:04 AM »

Kind of want this Hopps deck while I can still find them because I heard the quality (Chapman wood?) is really underrated and Jahmal Williams is the man.  The thing is I actually want to skate it instead of put it on the wall, but I don't know if it's necessarily like sacrilegious given the subject matter.
I would say put it on the wall and skate another Hopps deck

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #1128 on: September 24, 2019, 04:32:47 AM »
Carharrt chore coat, are these good enough for cold winters if I throw some layers underneath?

Like 10-15 degrees F
Like -15 C to the Eurocentric
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #1129 on: September 24, 2019, 06:04:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yeah, you're right.  I'll probably get one of these or see what they have at the local(s).

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1130 on: October 01, 2019, 05:09:37 PM »
I would love to try some Film trucks but now I'm living pretty much in the end of the world.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 05:13:05 AM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1131 on: October 01, 2019, 10:09:48 PM »
Scooped up a pair of these in olive green from a thrift store for $15 over the weekend:

https://www.tactics.com/a/7zte/e/lynxpost.jpg

Sole still felt intact.

I'm heading to Perth next week and thought about picking up a local board:

https://folklore.com.au/product/ricky-glaser-pro-fibre-tech-lite/

I usually buy and keep a board from every country I visit but i'm really keen to actually skate this one.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #1132 on: October 02, 2019, 05:21:40 AM »
Caught between a polar 1992, a santa cruz dressen rose 9.31, or some new titanium 149 Indy’s. New trucks would mean i can move the worn trucks I'm riding onto another setup before they're completely destroyed, and thereby expand my quiver, but i don't know which board I'd put them on, or why it would be useful. The two boards are both interesting to me because they're both over 9" wide with a 14.25" wheelbase, but the Polar would be the most expensive, as i can get the Indy’s and the santa cruz half price through work. Halp me decide pls
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1133 on: October 02, 2019, 05:56:52 AM »
the 1992 was the most disappointing shape i've had.

can't put my finger on what exactly it was (maybe the tail is too short for the heavy deck), but it felt hard to control, exhausting to pop and over all just not fun to ride.

PMA

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #1134 on: October 02, 2019, 06:11:01 AM »

can't put my finger on what exactly it was (maybe the tail is too short for the heavy deck), but it felt hard to control, exhausting to pop and over all just not fun to ride.
Ok thanks. I have the 1991 and really enjoyed it the first time I skated it, but last time I took it out i felt limited. I just put it down to the 14.5" wheelbase, which is why I was looking at the 1992,  but maybe there are other differences in the shape to consider. Was maybe going to swap the 53mm lockins i have on it for my 51mm classics too, just to make it lighter.
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1135 on: October 02, 2019, 08:59:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Ok thanks. I have the 1991 and really enjoyed it the first time I skated it, but last time I took it out i felt limited. I just put it down to the 14.5" wheelbase, which is why I was looking at the 1992,  but maybe there are other differences in the shape to consider. Was maybe going to swap the 53mm lockins i have on it for my 51mm classics too, just to make it lighter.

i am riding the alltimers fossil gang 9.25 at the moment, which (apart from the nightmarish graphics) is my favorite shape in a while.
also very close to the 1992, just the tail flares ever so slightly, is longer and the wheelbase seems to be longer too. well balanced deck.

https://www.tactics.com/alltimers/fossil-gang-925-skateboard-deck/teal

PMA

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #1136 on: October 02, 2019, 09:14:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had the Indys but I don't think they were worth the extra money

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1137 on: October 02, 2019, 09:45:59 AM »
Thinking about picking up some 5.8 Venture Titaniums and some 51mm F4 Tablets.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1138 on: October 02, 2019, 02:48:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Yeah, you're right.  I'll probably get one of these or see what they have at the local(s).

Posted this elsewhere AFAIK Chapman has no woodshop and outsources all pressing to Clutch. Last several boards I've seen have all had clutch shape stamps over the front truck. I think there was some further discussion of this and a link out to the clutch stamp meanings in the woodshop thread.

Also just my two cents but Chapman boards sucked anyway.

uncool old fart

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1139 on: October 03, 2019, 06:36:14 PM »
The park I skate at is really tight, so I'm thinking of ditching my 55mm Bones 100s for 52mm Bones STFs. Someone in another thread recommended going to smaller wheels anyway since I'm currently riding on a short wheelbase 8" deck.
At this point, I think I’ve seen Bam’s penis more than my own.