Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 328442 times)

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #1230 on: October 17, 2019, 09:53:34 PM »

Personally going from Aces to other trucks, I feel like it's easier for me to balance and make myself stable because having to do so with the Aces before I try anything.

Agreed. Whenever I go from Ace to Indy, the first few days make my skating feel so good. It's like Aces are training wheels for other trucks.

ThugWaffle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1231 on: October 19, 2019, 07:22:54 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the adidas sabalo and how they fit? usually wear 9.0 but im wearing 8.5 zoom bruins that were tight at first but are perfect now so i dont really know. last pair of adidas i skated was busenitz adv and 9.0 was fine.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1232 on: October 20, 2019, 02:04:34 AM »
I’m considering throwing some 1/8th risers on my tech setup.

8.125~ decks (Probably going with a Real Team Overspray 8.12 next)
Thunder Hollow Lights II 147s w/ Bones Mediums
52mm STF V1 101s (Most likely switching to 51-52mm F4 Tablets or Radial Slims in 99A)

I love how light the Hollow Lights are, especially in 147, but I hate how they’re 3mm shorter than the 148s.  I’m getting gnarly wheel bite with hard carves and certain tricks (mainly bigspin variations and Millie/fakie rotations).

I’m super skeptical about adding risers to this setup but it seems like it’s worth giving a try... they’re cheap and I can always take them off.  It’s cheaper than getting some 148 Hollow Lights and I’d rather have my trucks be smaller than my deck than larger for a tech setup. I wish I would have gotten the Team Hollows...

Are certain riser models better than others?  I was mainly considering Bones, Pig, and Thunder models.

Also does anyone know where I can get a standard Thunder baseplate?  I’m guessing they don’t sell them but it’s worth a shot. Then I could just switch that out, use some 51mm wheels, add a bottom washer or two under the bottom bushings, and avoid using Risers.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #1233 on: October 20, 2019, 06:56:23 AM »
Venture 6.1 and Spitfire OG Classics 58mm

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1234 on: October 20, 2019, 08:33:34 AM »
I’m considering throwing some 1/8th risers on my tech setup.

8.125~ decks (Probably going with a Real Team Overspray 8.12 next)
Thunder Hollow Lights II 147s w/ Bones Mediums
52mm STF V1 101s (Most likely switching to 51-52mm F4 Tablets or Radial Slims in 99A)

I love how light the Hollow Lights are, especially in 147, but I hate how they’re 3mm shorter than the 148s.  I’m getting gnarly wheel bite with hard carves and certain tricks (mainly bigspin variations and Millie/fakie rotations).

I’m super skeptical about adding risers to this setup but it seems like it’s worth giving a try... they’re cheap and I can always take them off.  It’s cheaper than getting some 148 Hollow Lights and I’d rather have my trucks be smaller than my deck than larger for a tech setup. I wish I would have gotten the Team Hollows...

Are certain riser models better than others?  I was mainly considering Bones, Pig, and Thunder models.

Also does anyone know where I can get a standard Thunder baseplate?  I’m guessing they don’t sell them but it’s worth a shot. Then I could just switch that out, use some 51mm wheels, add a bottom washer or two under the bottom bushings, and avoid using Risers.

I feel the same way about my 147s. I also should have gotten teams. I’m skating solid 149s now, and the board feels better. I guess I just like cast plates,  and maybe the solid pin? Less ‘chattery’.
I haven’t used either, but bones and thunder risers are the answer. I’ve used some krooked ones and they work, but need to be trimmed.

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #1235 on: October 21, 2019, 05:13:36 PM »

Heavily considering these. Never skated NB so I'm really curious, and these seem like something I'd like since I tend to prefer "sleek" cupsoles. The laces being recessed slightly on the wear side is also a nice touch.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1236 on: October 21, 2019, 07:28:03 PM »

Heavily considering these. Never skated NB so I'm really curious, and these seem like something I'd like since I tend to prefer "sleek" cupsoles. The laces being recessed slightly on the wear side is also a nice touch.

I like them so far, they're pretty comfy, and super grippy out of the box. I haven't had too much to get anything other than a few minutes here there and of flat in, so can't comment on impact support. My only complaint it that with my FPs in there they have a little bit of a squeak thats seeming to go away with the more I use the shoe. I'm sure it'll be gone once I get a nice heavy session in.

They run true to size so stick with that sizing wise. My green pair is a half size bigger, and because of my shitty anatomy, are unskatable for me. But they work great as chillers.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=103488.msg2946599#msg2946599

Check out Art's write up on it. It goes way more into detail.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #1237 on: October 21, 2019, 10:03:08 PM »
Spanky G6. Would only have to know do they fit the same as the Reynolds so I don't get a pair that's too snug. No shops around that carry it atm.

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #1238 on: October 22, 2019, 01:23:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I like them so far, they're pretty comfy, and super grippy out of the box. I haven't had too much to get anything other than a few minutes here there and of flat in, so can't comment on impact support. My only complaint it that with my FPs in there they have a little bit of a squeak thats seeming to go away with the more I use the shoe. I'm sure it'll be gone once I get a nice heavy session in.

They run true to size so stick with that sizing wise. My green pair is a half size bigger, and because of my shitty anatomy, are unskatable for me. But they work great as chillers.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=103488.msg2946599#msg2946599

Check out Art's write up on it. It goes way more into detail.

Really appreciate all the info man.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1239 on: October 23, 2019, 03:29:32 AM »
normally i'd steer clear of DSM but palace have a few decks with some interesting dimensions that I have the urge to try - 8.375 x 14.75/14.9wb

Smartass

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1240 on: October 23, 2019, 07:49:37 AM »
normally i'd steer clear of DSM but palace have a few decks with some interesting dimensions that I have the urge to try - 8.375 x 14.75/14.9wb

Currently on that with my Palace Chewy deck. My only complaint with it, is you're definitely going to notice that it takes a bit more effort to do all of your tricks, so be prepared to get gassed out quicker. They're relatively flat and and have a mellow concave, nose is pretty pointy as well. Havent had more time to get a good session in with the Venture 5.8s I currently have on it, but I really liked how they were with Thunders with the forged plates. Something about lower trucks with this setup seemed way better when I tried the same setup last year with Tensor ATGs.

DSM wood has honestly been pretty good to me, my main thing with them is that they tend to warp to the heat easier than other woodshops.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1241 on: October 23, 2019, 09:28:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Currently on that with my Palace Chewy deck. My only complaint with it, is you're definitely going to notice that it takes a bit more effort to do all of your tricks, so be prepared to get gassed out quicker. They're relatively flat and and have a mellow concave, nose is pretty pointy as well. Havent had more time to get a good session in with the Venture 5.8s I currently have on it, but I really liked how they were with Thunders with the forged plates. Something about lower trucks with this setup seemed way better when I tried the same setup last year with Tensor ATGs.

DSM wood has honestly been pretty good to me, my main thing with them is that they tend to warp to the heat easier than other woodshops.

That's most likely the one I'm looking at, weird arrow thing as a graphic? The largest wb i've skated was 15 on a Death Dave Allen vert board, maybe a tad over 15 as I skate thunders but overall it was nice.

My gripe with dsm is usually that the wood usually just feels pretty shite and starts to chip fairly quickly. Skated a bunch of heroin boards this summer, they all lasted around 1 1/2 to 2 months something like that. had an enjoi at the start of the year and that was chipping within 3 weeks. Had a Palace board in 2016 maybe and the only way I can sum it up is that it felt chalky.

How pointy we talking nose wise?

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1242 on: October 23, 2019, 10:25:51 AM »
I'm looking for a vegan shoe that is going to last more than 10 mins
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #1243 on: October 23, 2019, 10:53:23 AM »

10 minutes is 9 minutes longer than it would take for a vegan to tell you that they are a vegan.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

Smartass

« Reply #1244 on: October 23, 2019, 06:08:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's most likely the one I'm looking at, weird arrow thing as a graphic? The largest wb i've skated was 15 on a Death Dave Allen vert board, maybe a tad over 15 as I skate thunders but overall it was nice.

My gripe with dsm is usually that the wood usually just feels pretty shite and starts to chip fairly quickly. Skated a bunch of heroin boards this summer, they all lasted around 1 1/2 to 2 months something like that. had an enjoi at the start of the year and that was chipping within 3 weeks. Had a Palace board in 2016 maybe and the only way I can sum it up is that it felt chalky.

How pointy we talking nose wise?

It's not super pointy, I'd say a little more pointy than you average DLX shape.

Haven't had the issue with the chipping that I can remember. One of my favorite decks that I skated in the last year was an Evisen and man was that one fun. I was just so bummed that all it took was one hot trip in the car for it to warp where it was unskatable for me.

Yep been looking at that one too. I'm a little bummed that my locals don't really carry Palace anymore.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1245 on: October 23, 2019, 09:08:05 PM »
eS swift or accel plus in everstitch or some Ryan Lay etnies if u can still find them.
I’ve got some lakai Riley 2s at the moment that aren’t half bad either if you can do vulcs?

Please come and nerd out in the vegan skate shoe tread too! 🌱

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1246 on: October 30, 2019, 09:41:50 AM »
Whats the consensus here for sizing on classic Half Cabs? I've heard true to size but a few people say they run a half size big...

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1247 on: October 30, 2019, 08:31:27 PM »
Oj keyframes.
Yay nah.. wanna cruise around comfy but still try to have some fun. Keyword try to

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #1248 on: October 30, 2019, 11:13:55 PM »
Oj keyframes.
Yay nah.. wanna cruise around comfy but still try to have some fun. Keyword try to

They’re not gonna feel like Formula 4s, but they are good cruiser wheel. You will feel the ground a shade more than with Ricta Clouds but Keyframes skate more like regular wheels.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1249 on: October 31, 2019, 04:09:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Oj keyframes.
[close]

They’re not gonna feel like Formula 4s, but they are good cruiser wheel. You will feel the ground a shade more than with Ricta Clouds but Keyframes skate more like regular wheels.

I second that. For cruising/ollies/50-50's a kick or heel here and there, no complaints. But if you get ambitious and try anything with rotation the pitch factor is high, like any cruiser wheel. But honestly, I grab my 8.5 with 54mm keyframes more than my normal setup on account of the shit roads where I'm at. So if you're in that situation, the trade-offs are worth it.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1250 on: October 31, 2019, 05:31:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Oj keyframes.
[close]

I second that. For cruising/ollies/50-50's a kick or heel here and there, no complaints. But if you get ambitious and try anything with rotation the pitch factor is high, like any cruiser wheel. But honestly, I grab my 8.5 with 54mm keyframes more than my normal setup on account of the shit roads where I'm at. So if you're in that situation, the trade-offs are worth it.
thanks - yeah I honestly felt 99a F4 too harsh for the cruising I do on the roads around my house. Don’t visit any smooth parks only a tennis court here or there.
Not gonna be tee flipping this board. Had spit chargers and liked the softness.. wondering if I could step a bit up in hardness to slide.. without suffering ride-ability I guess.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1251 on: October 31, 2019, 05:41:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oj keyframes.
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote

[close]
thanks - yeah I honestly felt 99a F4 too harsh for the cruising I do on the roads around my house. Don’t visit any smooth parks only a tennis court here or there.
Not gonna be tee flipping this board. Had spit chargers and liked the softness.. wondering if I could step a bit up in hardness to slide.. without suffering ride-ability I guess.

Keyframes won't really slide, but as someone who switched from chargers I would highly recommend them as a cruiser wheel. Just a better feeling and more durable wheel overall.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1252 on: October 31, 2019, 05:45:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oj keyframes.
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Keyframes won't really slide, but as someone who switched from chargers I would highly recommend them as a cruiser wheel. Just a better feeling and more durable wheel overall.

OJ makes some 97a that might work, I've never ridden them but they might be just soft enough for what you're riding on and should still slide
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

pinkbananastatus

« Reply #1253 on: October 31, 2019, 06:29:33 AM »
Venture 6.1 and Spitfire OG Classics 58mm

This is what I've been skating. The perfect combo.
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1254 on: October 31, 2019, 08:05:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oj keyframes.
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote

[close]

Keyframes are actually softer than the Spitfire 80HD Chargers, which are straight up trash. Both slide equally none (unless you’re used to sliding soft wheels) but Keyframes roll much easier over everything and are just way more pleasant than the Chargers in every way.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1255 on: October 31, 2019, 08:25:38 AM »
Whats the consensus here for sizing on classic Half Cabs? I've heard true to size but a few people say they run a half size big...
Now that I got the low down on wheels, do these shits fit a half size large or what?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1256 on: October 31, 2019, 08:28:38 AM »

Keyframes are actually softer than the Spitfire 80HD Chargers, which are straight up trash. Both slide equally none (unless you’re used to sliding soft wheels) but Keyframes roll much easier over everything and are just way more pleasant than the Chargers in every way.
Good deal, thanks. Exactly what I needed for convincing. No longer contemplating.

baggy spandex

« Reply #1257 on: November 11, 2019, 11:50:44 AM »

I've never ridden Thunders before (I know) and I don't really need yet another 8.5 truck but I fucking love Franky so...

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #1258 on: November 11, 2019, 12:02:14 PM »

I've never ridden Thunders before (I know) and I don't really need yet another 8.5 truck but I fucking love Franky so...

Well those are pretty cool thunders to start with
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #1259 on: November 11, 2019, 07:01:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well those are pretty cool thunders to start with

I like the stamped series and those are sick, I actually might grab those for my cruiser