Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 328671 times)

sadnocomply

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 135
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #2130 on: June 11, 2020, 12:44:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm interested in getting some Rowan's soon. Also want another pair of Half Cab Pros but in that Gray color or some other non atrocious colorway (looking at you "knee slide" pack).

If I like the Half Cab Pro will I similarly like the Rowan (fit, feel, flex, etc.)?  Never got a chance to try em on in a shop before Covid. :/
[close]
i think you would definitely fuck with the rowans if you like cab pros. Has the same kinda wide but snug fit maybe my foot is narrow idk but they fit great in a 9.5 in both. I have those uprise half cabs in grey and off white but I like the feel of rowans better personally. I can’t wait to skate them when I’m done with these shitty lakai newport hi’s.

Parisian nights and the white/gum joints gooooo
[close]

Get them you'll love them.
[close]

Thank you both, I appreciate the input! I've been on cupsoles lately but went back to skating some KWalks and Cab Pros I have and they made me interested in the Rowans! Cab and KWalks fit comfortably in my TTS of 11, so I'll probably end up with the Parisian nights but am tempted by the white/gum. Haha :D
if you lurk pretty hard on the webs you can snag a pair of rowans for $55 shipped. Hell of a deal if you ask me

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2131 on: June 11, 2020, 02:54:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm interested in getting some Rowan's soon. Also want another pair of Half Cab Pros but in that Gray color or some other non atrocious colorway (looking at you "knee slide" pack).

If I like the Half Cab Pro will I similarly like the Rowan (fit, feel, flex, etc.)?  Never got a chance to try em on in a shop before Covid. :/
[close]
i think you would definitely fuck with the rowans if you like cab pros. Has the same kinda wide but snug fit maybe my foot is narrow idk but they fit great in a 9.5 in both. I have those uprise half cabs in grey and off white but I like the feel of rowans better personally. I can’t wait to skate them when I’m done with these shitty lakai newport hi’s.

[close]

[close]

Thank you both, I appreciate the input! I've been on cupsoles lately but went back to skating some KWalks and Cab Pros I have and they made me interested in the Rowans! Cab and KWalks fit comfortably in my TTS of 11, so I'll probably end up with the Parisian nights but am tempted by the white/gum. Haha :D

Just FYI, the Rowans, like the Half Cabs are a bit wider in the toe area compared to the Kwalks (I couldn't skate them).

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #2132 on: June 11, 2020, 03:34:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Just FYI, the Rowans, like the Half Cabs are a bit wider in the toe area compared to the Kwalks (I couldn't skate them).

I have been skating the Rowans for for a week.They skate really good. I really like them. I've been only skating gt blazers for my last 3 pairs of shoes and they have more padding and my feet feel more safe while still having great board feel.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2133 on: June 11, 2020, 05:05:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I have been skating the Rowans for for a week.They skate really good. I really like them. I've been only skating gt blazers for my last 3 pairs of shoes and they have more padding and my feet feel more safe while still having great board feel.

Xen, I was noticing that as I went back and forth between the two lately! I like the snugness of the Kwalks toe box because it feels sporty and nimble instead of boxy (which is how I viewed pro classics toe boxes until I skated a few pairs) but my feet didn't like them if I wore thick socks or if the shoe wasn't broken in yet. I like the Cab pros toe box more since it's more forgiving. If the Rowan is closer to the Cab, then I think I'll be pleased! :D

Bristol, awesome to hear! I'm interested in support with board feel but not too much of one at the cost of the other, so now I'm more interested to get em!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #2134 on: June 15, 2020, 03:22:20 AM »
I’m thinking of buying a raw papers deck. Probably not the popsicle but a cruiser or longboard ( I swear I’m not a cop). I’m not gonna buy one until I know who makes them. They say online they’re made in america but I need the facts
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2135 on: June 15, 2020, 10:03:26 AM »
I think about getting some half cabs. I could need a bit of ankle protection. Never had vans before and I have no idea about their sizing. I wear a 7.5 in Lakai's.
IG: @flowterspace

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #2136 on: June 15, 2020, 02:49:35 PM »

Sort of sound like the perfect in-between of soft and hard wheels. Good for skating to spots or rough spots but you can still skate them regular. Also I haven't skate sml wheels before so I'm curious.

For perspective I have 54mm formula four conical fulls that are 99 duro on my regular set up and 54mm 87a plainjane oj keyframes on my cruiser. I like both but these seem like they're a perfect middle ground.

EDIT: I just found out these wheels initially came out almost a year ago so if I find a set I'm lucky.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:56:59 PM by Bristol_Palin »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2137 on: June 15, 2020, 02:57:22 PM »

Sort of sound like the perfect in-between of soft and hard wheels. Good for skating to spots or rough spots but you can still skate them regular. Also I haven't skate sml wheels before so I'm curious.

For perspective I have 54mm formula four conical fulls that are 99 duro on my regular set up and 54mm 87a plainjane oj keyframes on my cruiser. I like both but these seem like they're a perfect middle ground.

Yeah these could be great. I’ve got 56mm plainjanes, and I love the way they roll/feel. The wheelbite is violent.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #2138 on: June 16, 2020, 05:24:16 AM »
I think about getting some half cabs. I could need a bit of ankle protection. Never had vans before and I have no idea about their sizing. I wear a 7.5 in Lakai's.
I have pro’s, TTS
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Mink

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2139 on: June 19, 2020, 02:42:30 PM »
Anyone skated a Stereo recently?

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #2140 on: June 19, 2020, 03:09:39 PM »
TTS for me also.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2141 on: June 20, 2020, 01:34:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
TTS for me also.

Thanks a lot pals, today I made a trip to the city and got some half cab pro's in a 7.5. They feel good so far :)
Will they form to the shape of my foot after time?

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #2142 on: June 21, 2020, 01:44:28 AM »
Really fighting off the urge on these ones..

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2143 on: June 21, 2020, 02:16:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
TTS for me also.
[close]

Thanks a lot pals, today I made a trip to the city and got some half cab pro's in a 7.5. They feel good so far :)
They definitely should! Most Vans I've had tend to form to my foot shape as I break them in. Kyle Walkers, Crockett 2s, and Half Cab Pros all felt like an extension of my foot after some time. They may feel a little boxy at first since that vulc wrap is fairly thick until you walk around/skate in em. Hope you love em! :]
Super Champion Fun Zone

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2144 on: June 21, 2020, 05:40:09 AM »

Looks ok. I'd definitely take out the white stitching with a sharpie.

Also that Ollie area has a seam dead ctr. I wonder if the rubber toe cap is under the ollie area too.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2145 on: June 21, 2020, 12:22:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
TTS for me also.
[close]

[close]
They definitely should! Most Vans I've had tend to form to my foot shape as I break them in. Kyle Walkers, Crockett 2s, and Half Cab Pros all felt like an extension of my foot after some time. They may feel a little boxy at first since that vulc wrap is fairly thick until you walk around/skate in em. Hope you love em! :]

Thanks man. I will report back.

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2146 on: June 26, 2020, 08:45:58 PM »
Thinking about getting an April 8.125

I want to try something with a 14” wheelbase

Tweekyn

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2147 on: June 27, 2020, 06:19:45 AM »

I haven't had a chance to ride one yet so take what I say with a grain of salt but I did hear that they have a mellow concave. If that's something you like then it could be the deck for you. I don't love a very mellow concave but I do want to try out one of their boards as well.

The problem is, due to the pandemic, all you can get now is the cheers deck (which isn't bad at all), I just really wanted that Yuto cake deck. I THINK that they are going to start distributing more boards to shops in July. That's what it says on Tactics at least but fuck that place.

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2148 on: June 27, 2020, 09:17:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I haven't had a chance to ride one yet so take what I say with a grain of salt but I did hear that they have a mellow concave. If that's something you like then it could be the deck for you. I don't love a very mellow concave but I do want to try out one of their boards as well.

The problem is, due to the pandemic, all you can get now is the cheers deck (which isn't bad at all), I just really wanted that Yuto cake deck. I THINK that they are going to start distributing more boards to shops in July. That's what it says on Tactics at least but fuck that place.

I love mellow concave so that’s perfect for me.

Ha yeah I was hoping to just grab a logo deck. If all they have in a few weeks is the cheers deck I’ll grab that when this polar is finished.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2149 on: June 27, 2020, 10:48:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Looks ok. I'd definitely take out the white stitching with a sharpie.

Also that Ollie area has a seam dead ctr. I wonder if the rubber toe cap is under the ollie area too.
Are they slimmer?
Loved that shoe but couldn’t wear bulky shoes like the old ones.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2150 on: June 27, 2020, 10:54:37 AM »
Riding a toy machine 8.5. Love the shape but catch myself maxing out on length. Feet resting on outside of bolts and falling forward at times.

Been thinking about a madness board. Need a longer wheel base and i like their aesthetic.
Any recommendations or reviews?

*i’m sure theres a thread but i am contemplating buying

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2151 on: June 27, 2020, 01:41:59 PM »

Been thinking about a madness board. Need a longer wheel base and i like their aesthetic.
Any recommendations or reviews?

It's Dwindle wood.

Very stiff/crispy and poppy - I'd be sure you check their recent catalog to make sure you get the concave/kicks you want as Dwindle has a bunch of combos (mellow cave steep kicks / Full concave/steep kicks )

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #2152 on: June 27, 2020, 02:10:33 PM »

EDIT: I just found out these wheels initially came out almost a year ago so if I find a set I'm lucky.

I have a pair of the sml succulent dream 92a wheels in 54 mm. Still have the tread on them. For me, did not like the way they deadened my board. Also, F4s are almost as forgiving so I don’t see a scenario where I would use them again. If you want to try them let me know.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2153 on: June 28, 2020, 04:45:34 PM »
anyone ride the reynolds setup (8.5 deck 8.0 trucks)?
what was the experience like? contemplating trying it out for shits and giggles unless of course i end up liking it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2154 on: June 28, 2020, 05:02:39 PM »
what was the experience like? contemplating trying it out for shits and giggles unless of course i end up liking it

A less extreme version, works well enough for me, for the type of skating I do most: flat ground. Overhang gives more flip leverage/scoop, for me. Doesn’t look as cool, as a set up. Which I just need to get over and go back to skating 7.75 and 5.0s.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #2155 on: June 28, 2020, 05:08:12 PM »
Did it with 139’s for a couple of years and it never bothered me, I never liked wide trucks and my board seemed to flip better. You get used to it after an hour.

Keep in mind this was 10 or so years ago and 8.25 trucks didn’t really exist then, I’d probably use those if I went back to 8.5 (which I don’t plan on doing any time soon)

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #2156 on: June 28, 2020, 09:57:40 PM »
Didn't Reynolds' size down to an 8.125?

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2157 on: June 29, 2020, 05:44:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Did it with 139’s for a couple of years and it never bothered me, I never liked wide trucks and my board seemed to flip better. You get used to it after an hour.

Keep in mind this was 10 or so years ago and 8.25 trucks didn’t really exist then, I’d probably use those if I went back to 8.5 (which I don’t plan on doing any time soon)

I had an 8.4 with 139s with conical fulls for a few weeks. I had to add rings. It was a problem with missing the lock front side tricks. Hitting the wax and slipping out.

Backside tricks usually are never an issue on ledges.

What you got for wheels OP?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2158 on: June 29, 2020, 06:08:08 AM »

Yes, he has been skating the C47 shape, which is apparently a reissue of an old 8.125 baker shape from like 2003 or something.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2159 on: June 29, 2020, 07:18:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, he has been skating the C47 shape, which is apparently a reissue of an old 8.125 baker shape from like 2003 or something.

Is it just their 8.125? Or ....just get lucky? Baker boards have always been great for me. I didn’t ride them as much, either because I’m Reynolds age, and just felt uncomfortable, at times, with how loud they were, or they weren’t available at the shops I went to. Always been a huge fan of their og shapes, pointy/flat.
8.125 is a really functional size for me.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:59:45 AM by Ok »