Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 328681 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #2190 on: July 01, 2020, 08:38:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
anyone ride the reynolds setup (8.5 deck 8.0 trucks)?
what was the experience like? contemplating trying it out for shits and giggles unless of course i end up liking it
[close]
Did it some years ago, worked super good for me but knowing that the trucks weren't matching the board bothered the hell out of me. Also it looked funny.
[close]
I'm sure this is personal preference and you'll most likely get used to anything, but I've tried Ace 8.38 trucks on an 8.5 and could definitely tell the difference from riding Indy 8.5's on an 8.5 deck.
Same with Riding Indy 8.5's on a 8.25 deck.
It definitely changes how you pinch or lock into grinds and your general aim getting into tricks. I kept locking into noseslides when trying crooks on the big deck/small trucks combo.

Ace has a tendency to fall out of crooks more than Indys in general.

It's because of the way they turn
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

TurdyBird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #2191 on: July 02, 2020, 11:08:10 AM »
Anyone know if the Vans sk8-low fit true to size or run a little big?

https://www.tactics.com/vans/sk8-low-pro-skate-shoes/smokeout
The chillest1

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #2192 on: July 02, 2020, 02:01:57 PM »
im interested in DC Maswell or Penza shoes. Anybody have any experience with these?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2193 on: July 02, 2020, 02:28:21 PM »
im interested in DC Maswell or Penza shoes. Anybody have any experience with these?
I have both and have skated a few times in both.
- Both run small, so 0.5 size up for sure (maybe a full size up on Penza if you have a fuller/wider foot)
- Moderately stiff sole but still fairly flexible in the toe area for how stiff they are. They feel like they take a while to break in. If you're used to stiffer cupsoles, this is a plus. If not, it may be a negative.
- Glued in thin ortholite insoles. Not sure if you can replace with other insoles since I don't think they would fit.
- Penza's heel feels higher than Maswell, but not too much. That's my main criticism for Penza. Wish the heel dat a little lower.
- Penza has a nice puffy dunk style tongue and feels pretty good if you lace it properly. No tongue straps on these.
- Maswell has a thinner and more form fitting tongue, but there's some padding in there. It can slide around a little since no tongue straps, as well.
- Flick is good. Maswell has a better flick than Penza in my experience. Feels pretty consistent once you find the flick zone on the shoe.

Overall, they're solid cupsole offerings in the more price point range of $65-70 compared to Legacy Slim or Kalis S from DC at $75 +. They're good, but not immediately great. They can be great shoes if they fit your interests, for sure.

Super Champion Fun Zone

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2194 on: July 02, 2020, 05:09:20 PM »

Huge sale on the DC site right now. I just got the Maswell's in wheat for $18!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:13:56 PM by Seventyfrigginseven »

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #2195 on: July 04, 2020, 11:20:27 AM »
Thinking about buying the Tensor Mag Lights after all the rave reviews. Not sure if I should get lows or not. I'm not that tech, but I like to flip my board and skate curbs/ledges. Plus I don't even think I've skated low trucks before so maybe it'll be a welcome change.

Thing about mag lights is that they're expensive and hard to find where I live - maybe the selection will improve in the fall. If I can't get those, I'm thinking of Venture 5.2 Lows, also due to the good reviews. But I'm loving the Ace 33s I'm skating as usual, so I may get the 03 Lows. Or even the Theeve TiAX trucks, but I'm not really keen on those for multiple reasons.

Junglist

« Reply #2196 on: July 04, 2020, 11:33:32 AM »
Anyone know if the Vans sk8-low fit true to size or run a little big?

https://www.tactics.com/vans/sk8-low-pro-skate-shoes/smokeout
I haven’t skated those but i personally will go a half size down for vault and pro releases. I do 10 in classics/syndicates and 9.5 in vault/pro

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2197 on: July 04, 2020, 11:43:53 AM »
Thinking about buying the Tensor Mag Lights after all the rave reviews. Not sure if I should get lows or not. I'm not that tech, but I like to flip my board and skate curbs/ledges. Plus I don't even think I've skated low trucks before so maybe it'll be a welcome change.

Thing about mag lights is that they're expensive and hard to find where I live - maybe the selection will improve in the fall. If I can't get those, I'm thinking of Venture 5.2 Lows, also due to the good reviews. But I'm loving the Ace 33s I'm skating as usual, so I may get the 03 Lows. Or even the Theeve TiAX trucks, but I'm not really keen on those for multiple reasons.
The rave is all about the atg, no one skates the low.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #2198 on: July 04, 2020, 11:48:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The rave is all about the atg, no one skates the low.

Good to know! Thanks.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #2199 on: July 04, 2020, 11:51:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Goddamn thats a steal. DC wild with their sales. I just bought some Kalis S off a Pal and I coulda paid less by directly going through DC lol

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2200 on: July 04, 2020, 04:56:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Goddamn thats a steal. DC wild with their sales. I just bought some Kalis S off a Pal and I coulda paid less by directly going through DC lol
Damnn, here in Chile I just got the Evan Smith Hi Zero for 22 bucks including shipping
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #2201 on: July 05, 2020, 11:31:01 AM »
So my Penzas came in. I really like them but they are too small. Sending them back. Might see if they have a half size up. I guess core brand cupsole sizing tends to smaller than say a Nike dunk sizing? I had the same issue with the lakai Carroll. I know user Ok warned me about this very issue.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #2202 on: July 05, 2020, 12:03:53 PM »
So my Penzas came in. I really like them but they are too small. Sending them back. Might see if they have a half size up. I guess core brand cupsole sizing tends to smaller than say a Nike dunk sizing? I had the same issue with the lakai Carroll. I know user Ok warned me about this very issue.
Fuck. not that you saw my review on Penza (maybe you did) but I fucked up on the sizing. Early in the video I say they were true to size but I put them on again a while back and I was like, fuck I need to update the review to say go up half a size, I did mention it in a comment to someone who asked but I need to leave it as the top comment or something.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #2203 on: July 05, 2020, 12:12:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Fuck. not that you saw my review on Penza (maybe you did) but I fucked up on the sizing. Early in the video I say they were true to size but I put them on again a while back and I was like, fuck I need to update the review to say go up half a size, I did mention it in a comment to someone who asked but I need to leave it as the top comment or something.

Bruh I did see it and your comment on sizing and that informed my choice lol. It’s all good homie. Somehow this weird site I got them from has free returns so it’s straight. I don’t think I read any of the YouTube comments. It’s funny because it took me a second to realize it was your video I was watching and I was like dude hell yeah I sold homie my lynx. I see you all over the internet actually lol.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 12:35:41 PM by cricketclub »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2204 on: July 05, 2020, 12:24:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Bruh I did see it and your comment on sizing informed my choice lol. It’s all good homie. Somehow this weird site I got them from has free returns so it’s straight. I don’t think I read any of the YouTube comments. It’s funny because it took me a second to realize it was your video I was watching and I was like dude hell yeah I sold homie my lynx. I see you all over the internet actually lol.
Damn, either way I’m still sorry/bummed.
I added that info in all caps to the description, hopefully people see that.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

AlexOlsonsDashiki

• Rep: 39
« Reply #2205 on: July 05, 2020, 12:41:39 PM »
thinking of getting the JJ jack purcell mids but the sizing on cons is fucked up from what I have heard.  8.5 in gt blazers, what do you all think?
Every time the McRib comes out I buy it. I don't even like the damn things.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2206 on: July 05, 2020, 03:29:52 PM »
was thinking about getting the adidas tyshawn, especially with the 25% off, but hesitated cause i already have shoes + a new pair of maranas and now none of the suede colorways have my size. :(

might have to get the leather ones for chillers but i never go out to do anything but skate no more

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #2207 on: July 05, 2020, 05:11:07 PM »
thinking of getting the JJ jack purcell mids but the sizing on cons is fucked up from what I have heard.  8.5 in gt blazers, what do you all think?

JP pros are true to size, go with your usual size.

AlexOlsonsDashiki

« Reply #2208 on: July 05, 2020, 05:42:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

JP pros are true to size, go with your usual size.

good looking out.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #2209 on: July 05, 2020, 10:29:40 PM »

with purcell i went 8.5 my tts and it worked out well. but cons chucks def size down

Vintagebody

• Rep: 78
« Reply #2210 on: July 08, 2020, 07:17:26 AM »
New shoe time. Recommendations?
I've been eyeing Vans, but they look so wide for my normal/narrow foot. Never skated Vans in my life.
Other then that the Blazer Mids, only skated the lows and GT's, and Adi Tyshawns.

Skated 3ST.004 and Matchbreak super the last months.
Quick sum:
3ST.004 = Ollie hole rather quick, and drop like a running shoe is not good for skating.
Matchbreak Super = Typical Adidas tongue not staying in place, and weak heel lock. Without these flaws it would be my go to shoe.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #2211 on: July 08, 2020, 07:19:24 AM »
Those Red AVE pros are talking to me. Might wait for a sale though, has anyone skated a pair of AVE's recently?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2212 on: July 08, 2020, 07:42:27 AM »
Those Red AVE pros are talking to me. Might wait for a sale though, has anyone skated a pair of AVE's recently?
Not recently, really liked the white ones and I bought those forest green ones and had one session and just didn’t really feel like skating them

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #2213 on: July 08, 2020, 07:59:43 AM »
New shoe time. Recommendations?
I've been eyeing Vans, but they look so wide for my normal/narrow foot. Never skated Vans in my life.
Other then that the Blazer Mids, only skated the lows and GT's, and Adi Tyshawns.
Currently skating Half Cab pros, fully recommend these. Might be my new favorite shoe of all time.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2214 on: July 08, 2020, 08:01:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not recently, really liked the white ones and I bought those forest green ones and had one session and just didn’t really feel like skating them
yeah the new red color is nice. would be good late-summer early fall

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2215 on: July 08, 2020, 08:22:06 AM »

My current shoe of choice. Had a few pairs. Nice slim  cup. Shoe lasts, surprisingly well, for me. Not super cushy, more of a firm feel. Flick is good, and consistent. I feel very inside of the shoe, not on top of it, which makes the experience feel more secure, like a roll is less likely.

slutonparade

• Rep: 26
« Reply #2216 on: July 09, 2020, 10:05:26 AM »
Expand Quote

Sort of sound like the perfect in-between of soft and hard wheels. Good for skating to spots or rough spots but you can still skate them regular. Also I haven't skate sml wheels before so I'm curious.

For perspective I have 54mm formula four conical fulls that are 99 duro on my regular set up and 54mm 87a plainjane oj keyframes on my cruiser. I like both but these seem like they're a perfect middle ground.
[close]

I've never tried their softer wheels (coffee cruiser, etc) but their 52mm 99a Grocery Bag's (OG Wide) have been wonderful to skate.  I definitely recommend on giving them a shot

Yeah these could be great. I’ve got 56mm plainjanes, and I love the way they roll/feel. The wheelbite is violent.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2217 on: July 09, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »
Thinking about getting these. I don't know anything about the CX insole, but damn I miss skating in Chucks.

Safe option is to get Vans Rowans, but I might take the risk on these Chucks and see if I like them.

AlexOlsonsDashiki

« Reply #2218 on: July 10, 2020, 06:45:13 AM »
straye is doing 50% off site wide.

Has anyone skated their stuff? What is sizing like? Is it even worth buying?

johnes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2219 on: July 10, 2020, 07:49:27 AM »
straye is doing 50% off site wide.

Has anyone skated their stuff? What is sizing like? Is it even worth buying?
True to size for the 2 pair I’ve bought. They are as good as any other $60 vulc shoe imo as long as you get suede. I also reinforced some spots with super glue and the shoes were good to me.
Here’s some pic of the Venice I bought.

I’m a fat Siamese cat.