Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324783 times)

TurdyBird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #2850 on: February 18, 2021, 02:35:48 PM »
Thinking about getting a baker 8.25 X 31.875 or Krooked 8.25X32.

Considering getting some reebok club C's to skate
The chillest1

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #2851 on: February 18, 2021, 02:58:32 PM »
Been thinking about getting a set of 8" trucks for my Deedz 8.38 football. I've got 144 Tis on it now, but they are a lil wider than ideal.

My insanity is: 139 Ti, Forged 147 + riser, or Team Hollow 147?

I'm sure I skated Thunders back in the early 00's sometime, but I can't recall. Worried about wheelbite (but ride 50mm), and lack of baseplate contact on slides with em. Also really like the Indy pop feel on the 14.25 wheelbase.

But, I'm not a huge fan of Independent as a company, and I don't like how they don't lock into crooks as easily as I'd like (need all the help I can get these days lol).

Not sure, please advise.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2852 on: February 18, 2021, 04:55:42 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm trying to get a 70 style plastic board to use in the bowl in Salem and plan to film the hill bomb.

I would like to get maybe a modern version of my first board.

Anyway can anyone point me in the right direction to not buying a penny board.
[close]

For a polarizer I recommend just taking an old deck, sketching and cutting out the shape you want with a jigsaw. It feels good to reuse/recycle a neglected deck and to ride your own creation. There’s a polarizer or DIY shape thread if you go back a bit. If you want to just buy something perfect, keep an eye out for Blender’s Heated Wheel drops.

I’ve posted this before, but I took an old Polar, traced a ‘75 G&S to it, modified the trace, cut & sanded and ended up with this. Much fun.

So sick thanks.

I'm rolling coins to get a natas bag tomorrow at midnight rn with my niece
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #2853 on: February 18, 2021, 05:37:44 PM »
For Support Your Local Skate Shop Day, I think I’m gonna just buy a shop board (or that Real PP board) from my local and leave it there for them to give to a kid in need.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #2854 on: February 18, 2021, 05:46:49 PM »
Would anybody here say that selvedge denim is worth it? Came across this great video exploring it via the Japanese styled take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH2nRVChgR0

Quick summary:
jeans woven using a specialized oldschool weaving technique, uses non-synthetic dying practices resulting in great fading discoloration over time, thicker/unsanforized fabric (raw), exclusive & expensive with greater attention to detail.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2855 on: February 18, 2021, 06:10:19 PM »
Would anybody here say that selvedge denim is worth it? Came across this great video exploring it via the Japanese styled take:

Quick summary:
jeans woven using a specialized oldschool weaving technique, uses non-synthetic dying practices resulting in great fading discoloration over time, thicker/unsanforized fabric (raw), exclusive & expensive with greater attention to detail.

In the past I’ve had selvedge denim and it was really nice. It was a slimmer cut pair of jeans and they were super stiff. They honestly did not loosen up too much but they kept their shape amazingly. Depending on your budget I’d say get a pair for certain occasions, but personally they are not the most comfortable pants to wear

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #2856 on: February 18, 2021, 06:13:32 PM »
Been thinking about getting a set of 8" trucks for my Deedz 8.38 football. I've got 144 Tis on it now, but they are a lil wider than ideal.

My insanity is: 139 Ti, Forged 147 + riser, or Team Hollow 147?

I'm sure I skated Thunders back in the early 00's sometime, but I can't recall. Worried about wheelbite (but ride 50mm), and lack of baseplate contact on slides with em. Also really like the Indy pop feel on the 14.25 wheelbase.

But, I'm not a huge fan of Independent as a company, and I don't like how they don't lock into crooks as easily as I'd like (need all the help I can get these days lol).

Not sure, please advise.

I have similar thoughts, so I won’t be too helpful. Thunders are very good trucks, if you skate 50s you are totally fine, imo. You might still get some wheelbite, but should be manageable. The baseplate not touching is less of a deal with smaller wheels. My best noseslides were on thunders and 50s. On the other hand one of my gnarliest slams was on thunders and conical fulls (foot landed back on the board, unexpectedly, faceplant).
Tbh I’d probably just set the shit up with the 144s.

Actually if I’m being honest, I’d buy some trucks. Put them on, skate them very briefly, take them off. Go back to the internet. Put on some trucks I already own, skate them briefly, repeat.
Back in the goddamn days, I’d try a weird setup, and be gifted some different trick: lose treflips, gain nollie heels, etc. That never happens now.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 06:44:05 PM by Ok »

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2857 on: February 18, 2021, 07:40:42 PM »
Expand Quote

Quick summary:
[close]

In the past I’ve had selvedge denim and it was really nice. It was a slimmer cut pair of jeans and they were super stiff. They honestly did not loosen up too much but they kept their shape amazingly. Depending on your budget I’d say get a pair for certain occasions, but personally they are not the most comfortable pants to wear

Worth it. For a while, before I got fat, I wore Selvedge Denim exclusively. One pair with almost daily wear would last four years or more. Yea the starting price tag can be a touch up there and they’ll feel like cardboard in the beginning, but once they break in, they’re amazing.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2858 on: February 18, 2021, 09:03:40 PM »
^Mmm, interesting! I've never had expensive taste for clothes, but these seem intriguing for sure. $200-$300+ it looks like for a ballpark range. The longevity and wear with age makes them the most intriguing for me, and I'd like to know what it feels like to stunt on fools (denim-wise), for once.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2859 on: February 18, 2021, 09:29:06 PM »
^Mmm, interesting! I've never had expensive taste for clothes, but these seem intriguing for sure. $200-$300+ it looks like for a ballpark range. The longevity and wear with age makes them the most intriguing for me, and I'd like to know what it feels like to stunt on fools (denim-wise), for once.

For me, it wasn’t about stuntin’. It was about the quality, like a good pair of work boots or power tools. I knew I would get a lot of use out of it. And I stuck to Sugar Cane which usually ran $250ish after tax.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2860 on: February 18, 2021, 10:22:05 PM »
^ Hell Yeah, that too! I found a brand entitled "unbranded", which seems to minimalize their design touch (hardware/branding) in order to lower the pricing. Looks good. "Tanuki" has some appealing ones as well.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #2861 on: February 19, 2021, 06:11:31 AM »
Tbh I’d probably just set the shit up with the 144s.

I looked at my board more and I think this is the right call. Should just keep what I got.

Winter just makin me think too much.

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #2862 on: February 19, 2021, 06:45:31 AM »

Krooked has 40 dollar blanks on the skate warehouse site. They have a green 8.25×32.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2863 on: February 19, 2021, 07:04:27 AM »
I'm laid up with a fractured ankle waiting for surgery but before they're gone I really want to grab some of those Real 1/8" wood risers - 1 set for Thunders and 1 for Indys in case I get some forged titaniums in the future.
Also those dates / glacier colored Nike SB Blazer mids. Trying to find skateshop day sales for them. Any recommendations? Nike is already sold out of my size.

ballintoohard

« Reply #2864 on: February 19, 2021, 07:56:09 AM »
I wore selvedge denim for around 15 years and can conclude it is not worth it, however, give it a shot and decide for yourself. It’s easy to buy/sell stuff on Grailed. Part of me just got sick of the limited skinnier fits when I tend to like looser cuts nowadays, but I bought some of Crocketts shit and have some Sugarcanes that are decently loose. I personally don’t find them any more comfortable until broken in and most aren’t any more durable just look at any wear pic.

ballintoohard

« Reply #2865 on: February 19, 2021, 08:02:32 AM »
I like the leather Blazers and Bruins, not the suedes as much cuz they get floppy and sketchy feeling and my feet and ankles get pretty sore. My Last Resorts felt pretty good at first, but seem to be going that way as well. I think in my old age I might want a cupsole, but hated the Busenitz I had. I was thinking of trying the Tyshawn as they felt pretty flexible in hand or maybe the 1010’s, any other recs? I saw the cupsole thread, but out of that these 2 were at the top so far

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #2866 on: February 19, 2021, 08:41:30 AM »

Im in the same dilemma right now, its either the Jacopo 8.25 (OG Shape) or the Ray Barbee Krooked pro Model 8.25. The deal is Ive been skating Alien Workshop 8.25s for a bit now so Im used to the full shape and steep concave. Now I don't mind mellow concave but the pointy shape of the Baker is what is pulling me back from pulling the trigger so thats why I have the option of the Krooked board. I might just have to flip a coin

rawbacon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2867 on: February 19, 2021, 09:21:12 AM »
the mike carroll shoes and a john lucero board

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #2868 on: February 19, 2021, 12:28:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Im in the same dilemma right now, its either the Jacopo 8.25 (OG Shape) or the Ray Barbee Krooked pro Model 8.25. The deal is Ive been skating Alien Workshop 8.25s for a bit now so Im used to the full shape and steep concave. Now I don't mind mellow concave but the pointy shape of the Baker is what is pulling me back from pulling the trigger so thats why I have the option of the Krooked board. I might just have to flip a coin

The tail on the Krooked I'm looking at looks pretty full, less tapered, compared to the nose. Maybe it's the pic that SW took. The Barbee board might be a little different than wild style flower deck I'm looking at. The Barbee has a slightly longer WB.

Still a tough decision. The only true skate shop in my town is skate warehouse, but I feel bad not trying to order online from a real brick and mortar.
The chillest1

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #2869 on: February 19, 2021, 01:13:33 PM »
I know I was trolling in the thread but I'm gonna get last resorts I think. Gotta see how these rowans pan out. That's a good shoe but it took way too long to break in all the stitching and stuff, fucked up my toes. Need a suede leather sock kinda shoe
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2870 on: February 19, 2021, 01:21:06 PM »
I like the leather Blazers and Bruins, not the suedes as much cuz they get floppy and sketchy feeling and my feet and ankles get pretty sore. My Last Resorts felt pretty good at first, but seem to be going that way as well. I think in my old age I might want a cupsole, but hated the Busenitz I had. I was thinking of trying the Tyshawn as they felt pretty flexible in hand or maybe the 1010’s, any other recs? I saw the cupsole thread, but out of that these 2 were at the top so far

I'm new to them but the tom Knox #440 is the most comfortable shoe I've put on in a long fucking time.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2871 on: February 19, 2021, 02:06:10 PM »
Black Label Lucero.8.88, 14.75 WB

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2872 on: February 19, 2021, 03:37:05 PM »

Would love to get my hands on a couple of these decks for the wall. Didn't even know they existed until today, but it seems like they've all been snatched up and found their way to ebay. I love Mcgee, but I won't pay resale prices out of principal.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #2873 on: February 22, 2021, 01:17:24 AM »
I have some DC kalis vulc sitting in the cart. Trying to find reviews. I have a big size 12 foot and its wide. Also I have bad ankles. Dont roll hem too often the problem is mostly impact, and if I dont land bolts or if they flex too much longitudinally im in pain. Even cupsole dont cant save me so thats not an issue to me. Plus I think my tres are better with vulc.

I mostly skate ledges and flat. I rarely huck anything more than 2 feet in the air.

Has anyone had DC Kalis vulc?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 11:24:44 AM by lazer69 »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #2874 on: February 23, 2021, 11:16:01 AM »
Been thinking about getting a pair of blazer mids but I’ve Never skated a mid so I’m not sure

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2875 on: February 23, 2021, 12:09:21 PM »
Been thinking about getting a pair of blazer mids but I’ve Never skated a mid so I’m not sure

Do it! Blazer mids are great. One of my favorites. For me I’ve always felt like they had a good combo of ankle protection and stability without compromising necessary ankle movement. Also they look super nice on foot

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2876 on: February 23, 2021, 06:38:34 PM »
I have some DC kalis vulc sitting in the cart. Trying to find reviews. I have a big size 12 foot and its wide. Also I have bad ankles. Dont roll hem too often the problem is mostly impact, and if I dont land bolts or if they flex too much longitudinally im in pain. Even cupsole dont cant save me so thats not an issue to me. Plus I think my tres are better with vulc.

I mostly skate ledges and flat. I rarely huck anything more than 2 feet in the air.

Has anyone had DC Kalis vulc?

Rode 2 pairs and I love it, impact protection isn't great so definitely stick an insole in there and avoid big gaps. For me they fit TTS but are a little tight around the toe box (but I have wide feet) that stretched out within the session. Flick on the toe is great, heel feels a little lacking. They lace up nice and tight and cups the ankle nicely, not had bad tweaks in them over the past 4 months of wearing them, unlike the Kalis SE I'm currently wearing. The sole was pretty durable too, the grip never failed and only tossed them when I started getting holes in them.

In summary, a quality vulc that while simple in design really excels at the basics. Riding a cupsole (Kalis SE) at the moment, I really miss the flick and grip of the vulc version. Get some insoles and baby, you got a stew going.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #2877 on: February 23, 2021, 06:40:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do it! Blazer mids are great. One of my favorites. For me I’ve always felt like they had a good combo of ankle protection and stability without compromising necessary ankle movement. Also they look super nice on foot
I’ll keep an eye out on a deal, I’ve been having issues with my Achilles getting sore and I’ve been skating the 913 and the vans pro classics and I think they have been hitting my foot weird

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #2879 on: February 28, 2021, 05:51:26 AM »
Stop thinking and do yourself a favor. Best shoes ever.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.