Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324588 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #3000 on: June 05, 2021, 02:26:29 PM »
I think my ankles would be really stoked to get some hi-top shoes. I have some half cab pros for work but they are not snug enough in the toes for skating for me.

I am looking at the new Skate Sk8- Hi's or some Lakai Telford's. In Lakai's I mostly have a 7.5 and they fit great. No idea about the new Vans sizing and if I will like them.
Any suggestions from you pals?
IG: @flowterspace

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3001 on: June 05, 2021, 03:12:26 PM »
I think my ankles would be really stoked to get some hi-top shoes. I have some half cab pros for work but they are not snug enough in the toes for skating for me.

I am looking at the new Skate Sk8- Hi's or some Lakai Telford's. In Lakai's I mostly have a 7.5 and they fit great. No idea about the new Vans sizing and if I will like them.
Any suggestions from you pals?

I’ve skated Vans Hi and they don’t do shit for hurt feet.

I had 4 pairs of Telford Hi on the first go round and they are durable, comfortable and stable. However, board feel is not great and it is impossible to roll your ankle on an Ollie so the bottom tread wears out first.

I am big on es shoes right now. You don’t need hi tops if you wear cup soles that don’t cut below the ankle. I really like the silo sole so maybe look at any of their shoes that run the same sole.

https://www.esskateboarding.com/us/shop/footwear/silo-5101000167c115s8.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid%20search&utm_campaign=shopping&CAWELAID=120054860000003783&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImZaO9sCB8QIVLQaICR32EAyzEAQYBSABEgL0v_D_BwE

The wider sole and padding makes for a real stable shoe. I have not once rolled my ankle in these. Good luck.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3002 on: June 06, 2021, 01:01:47 PM »
Thinking about a Passport 8.8 but it’s hard to come by many dimensions or good pics.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #3003 on: June 06, 2021, 03:58:46 PM »
Thinking about a Passport 8.8 but it’s hard to come by many dimensions or good pics.

Tempting to get a board that width, as I’ve been hyped on ace 55 classics, but once I go that wide shit needs to be juuuuuuuuust right. And by that I mean short.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3004 on: June 06, 2021, 04:03:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tempting to get a board that width, as I’ve been hyped on ace 55 classics, but once I go that wide shit needs to be juuuuuuuuust right. And by that I mean short.
what do you consider short? might have some suggestions
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3005 on: June 06, 2021, 06:21:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

31.75 tip to tip, or less, 14.25 wb, or less. Best board in a long time (that I’ve been dribbling on and on about lately) is an 8.5 ps, 14.25, less than 32”.
I’ve definitely gone down some extreme rabbit holes and outsmarted myself trying to get too cute/precious with dimensions. Always seems that when I just throw something together I get the best results.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3006 on: June 06, 2021, 07:11:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

31.75 tip to tip, or less, 14.25 wb, or less. Best board in a long time (that I’ve been dribbling on and on about lately) is an 8.5 ps, 14.25, less than 32”.
I’ve definitely gone down some extreme rabbit holes and outsmarted myself trying to get too cute/precious with dimensions. Always seems that when I just throw something together I get the best results.
you might like that jawn gardner creature shape, measures 8.8/31.4/14.0 wb. i found out the wheelbase doesnt work for me on boards shorter than 31.75 long/i shouldnt  ride a board that short. its laying in my room and i have no plans for it if youre interested
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

AlexOlsonsDashiki

• Rep: 39
« Reply #3007 on: June 06, 2021, 09:11:57 PM »
Im not contemplating at all but here you guys go, there has to be someone interested

https://www.6pm.com/p/supra-muska2000-white-navy-red-white/product/9367938/color/681436
Every time the McRib comes out I buy it. I don't even like the damn things.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3008 on: June 07, 2021, 05:13:37 AM »
im about to fold so hard on one of those crail g016 shapes. been dining on carl aikens footage and that short, steep tail is calling out for me

going from 8.6/14.0 to 8.375/14.25 is definitely gonna be something but the length and trucks are constant. maybe a quarter of an inch might not be too bad?

if the local has one i might have to give in already

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3009 on: June 07, 2021, 06:44:07 AM »
im about to fold so hard on one of those crail g016 shapes. been dining on carl aikens footage and that short, steep tail is calling out for me

going from 8.6/14.0 to 8.375/14.25 is definitely gonna be something but the length and trucks are constant. maybe a quarter of an inch might not be too bad?

if the local has one i might have to give in already

That shape looks too dope to me. I’ve had one, long time ago, and liked it (the shape was rad, mine was warped pretty bad, some boards are like that). I’d love to get one again. That shape does have a short tail, I liked it, not for everyone.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #3010 on: June 07, 2021, 06:49:35 AM »
Wanting to try a Crick Hunter 8.0 Scumco deck. I think it's PS, but I don't know for sure. Haven't seen it in person, so I don't know the dims or specs. Any insight on what Scumco shapes are like? I know they have several different concaves, but I've never ridden or even held one.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 211
« Reply #3011 on: June 07, 2021, 07:12:54 AM »
I’ve been on a mission to get 48,50,52,53mm wheels in different hardness and shapes to finally stop the madness.

So far the 48 spitfires and 53 sml’s work best for me.

Blind wheels… well

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3012 on: June 07, 2021, 07:53:50 PM »
Wanting to try a Crick Hunter 8.0 Scumco deck. I think it's PS, but I don't know for sure. Haven't seen it in person, so I don't know the dims or specs. Any insight on what Scumco shapes are like? I know they have several different concaves, but I've never ridden or even held one.

There are a few around, Penswood and PS Stix wood and fairly mellow concaves, more so around 8.25 sizes, but I think the best authority on those is @Buttfart Rapedick

One here in the setups thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.msg3575761#msg3575761

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 10:54:46 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3013 on: June 08, 2021, 03:23:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There are a few around, Penswood and PS Stix wood and fairly mellow concaves, more so around 8.25 sizes, but I think the best authority on those is @Buttfart Rapedick

Good stuff, thanks homie! I thought I had read here that all the logo decks are Pennswood, which I'd be interested in trying if I can find an 8.0

The one I'm interested in is the Nicholson "Easy Rider" graphic (from the latest run I believe), and for some reason I thought all pro models were PS? Doesn't matter too much either way, I like both woodshops despite hearing about some rough QC stuff coming from PS lately. As long as the concave is mellow and the nose isn't hella square, I'm probably gonna dig it!

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3014 on: June 08, 2021, 06:36:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Good stuff, thanks homie! I thought I had read here that all the logo decks are Pennswood, which I'd be interested in trying if I can find an 8.0

The one I'm interested in is the Nicholson "Easy Rider" graphic (from the latest run I believe), and for some reason I thought all pro models were PS? Doesn't matter too much either way, I like both woodshops despite hearing about some rough QC stuff coming from PS lately. As long as the concave is mellow and the nose isn't hella square, I'm probably gonna dig it!

PS has ups and downs for sure with qc. I really dig the wood, shapes....and they just ‘feel right’. I don’t like nhs stuff, as it feels kinda fake, like the bones stf of decks of you will.
I do wish PS was more consistent, and that I could find their stuff more often. The local is probably 90% bbs, which used to feel better than it currently does, for me. Early krooked was some of my favorite graphics, and shapes. Early kayo boards seemed to be high quality. Now....meh. For me.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #3015 on: June 08, 2021, 06:47:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

PS has ups and downs for sure with qc. I really dig the wood, shapes....and they just ‘feel right’. I don’t like nhs stuff, as it feels kinda fake, like the bones stf of decks of you will.
I do wish PS was more consistent, and that I could find their stuff more often. The local is probably 90% bbs, which used to feel better than it currently does, for me. Early krooked was some of my favorite graphics, and shapes. Early kayo boards seemed to be high quality. Now....meh. For me.

This may sound weird, but I'm sort of getting what people are saying about BBS. I have a Polar and when you pop it, it almost sounds empty? I can't really explain it. Just this little this instead of the thwack I associate with a nice pop.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #3016 on: June 08, 2021, 05:42:26 PM »
Expand Quote
I'v been contemplating buying Venture 5.6's. I'd sworn off ventures years ago. I've got a extra deck gripped and want to try them out. I always end up going back to indys.
[close]

I love the 5.6

I wish I switch earlier. It's the perfect truck in my opinion.
Expand Quote
I'v been contemplating buying Venture 5.6's. I'd sworn off ventures years ago. I've got a extra deck gripped and want to try them out. I always end up going back to indys.
[close]
I just got a set of 5.8’s to fuck around on. Never had Ventures and I love em. That being said, I have some Indy Hollows on the way for another deck.
[/quote]

So I got them. Super impressed with the feel! Not how I remember my old 5.0 Stevie Williams at all. lol   It almost feels too smooth. Its like going from a hooptie to a Cadillac! lol  They turn better than my indy's! Was not expecting that and I didn't have to tighten the bushings. I'm 185lbs so it was nice not having to crank them down. I had a pretty shitty session but i think its because I've been skating tablets and went to classics on this set up. Going to switch that up and see how that is. Thanks!

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #3017 on: June 08, 2021, 05:52:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I love the 5.6

I wish I switch earlier. It's the perfect truck in my opinion.
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I just got a set of 5.8’s to fuck around on. Never had Ventures and I love em. That being said, I have some Indy Hollows on the way for another deck.
[close]

So I got them. Super impressed with the feel! Not how I remember my old 5.0 Stevie Williams at all. lol   It almost feels too smooth. Its like going from a hooptie to a Cadillac! lol  They turn better than my indy's! Was not expecting that and I didn't have to tighten the bushings. I'm 185lbs so it was nice not having to crank them down. I had a pretty shitty session but i think its because I've been skating tablets and went to classics on this set up. Going to switch that up and see how that is. Thanks!
[/quote]

Glad you dig em! I got the Indys in and had a shit session on them lol. The Slimeballs I put on them just don't like my spots. I'm thinking of getting something else and just keeping the vomit minis for the park.

I love the Ventures though. I can't get as quick a turn as my Indys, but Cadillac is a good description of them. Even riding around on crusty streets with 99a's is smooth af.

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3018 on: June 09, 2021, 03:01:44 AM »
Anyone tried quasi or gx1000 boards at 8.625? They measure really big with 32.5 or 33 length and 14.75 WB.

Anyone skated One of the brands or a 14.75 wheelbase? Im 6'4 so like a longer WB but dont want it to feel super Long and sluggish.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3019 on: June 09, 2021, 06:13:16 AM »
Anyone tried quasi or gx1000 boards at 8.625? They measure really big with 32.5 or 33 length and 14.75 WB.

Anyone skated One of the brands or a 14.75 wheelbase? Im 6'4 so like a longer WB but dont want it to feel super Long and sluggish.

Had the Quasi 8.625". They measure the length with the tape pushed in, so it is actually closed to 32.25" overall. The nose and tail are much smaller and more tapered than on the usual Quasi shapes.

I wasn't a fan. It felt like the nose and tail were too small and mellow in relation to the long WB and it made everything rocket.  That being said, this was about 5 years ago and I wasn't skating as frequently as I do now so it also could have been that I didn't give it a fair chance.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3020 on: June 09, 2021, 06:27:28 AM »
i kind of want to switch from thunder 149 to venture 5.6

Honestly don't have anything wrong with the thunders i just like the way ventures look, and bc i like crooked grind and hear they have good pinch.

missed out on the sale yesterday tho :(

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #3021 on: June 09, 2021, 06:51:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

@Urtripping Easy rider is PS. I have the 8.25 and assuming its the same mold then it's fairly mellow concave wise and the kicks are mellow, but overall it's not like mega flat the way the Kyle boards from the first PS run were. It's not really square but there isn't much taper either, more of a "full but round" shape to the nose. It was the first shape I set up when I got the new ones but ended up not being my favorite because the Evan Smith guest board was so good. 

Some of the logo decks were PS, but there weren't a ton of them and a lot of them were smaller... 7.875 seem to be the ones I've come across the most, I'm assuming because it's been really tough for smaller companies like Scumco to procure wood from PS and that's what was available. I did manage to get my hands on 8.25 thanks to the homie @STRANGLE and I love it but it's fairly steep for a PS deck. Not all pro models are PS but a lot of the semi-recent ones were. There's been 2 major runs of PS wood.. the broadcast series and then the ones that came out around christmas this year. To further confuse you, the latest run of boards that came out seem to be a mix of graphics from both PS runs but on control wood. Guessing they were leftover transfers. If you need help ID'ing something you see online shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can figure it out, or you can email the shop and ask if it has the PS sticker/serial # laser etch.

As for QC, I skate a lot of PS wood (actually the majority of what I've bought in the last year or so has been PS) and I haven't run into any issues. Some people just don't like how it feels or the fact it's not very stiff but objectively I can't think of anything. I had one quasi deck that I thought felt a little thick and soft but I think it was more to do with it not gelling with the trucks I had on it. When I sent it to a pal on here he said it felt fine to him. Obviously that sort of thing is pretty subjective, but I haven't had anything that was warped or unskateable or anything like that.

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3022 on: June 09, 2021, 08:07:34 AM »

Yeah, skated a Quasi one from the last drop. Didn’t feel that hefty considering I skated it on 151s. Flipped slow, was kinda nice. I am 6’2 and a lot of leg if that’s of any help.

The tail took some getting used to though because it was less tapered than the nose. Delaminated a bit first session which was a bummer, skated it into the ground still.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:52:45 AM by DönerTeller »

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3023 on: June 10, 2021, 03:42:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, skated a Quasi one from the last drop. Didn’t feel that hefty considering I skated it on 151s. Flipped slow, was kinda nice. I am 6’2 and a lot of leg if that’s of any help.

The tail took some getting used to though because it was less tapered than the nose. Delaminated a bit first session which was a bummer, skated it into the ground still.

Thanks guys, the measurements of Nose & tail looks pretty similar to my current polar 9" om paper, but are they shorter since they measure Them pushed into the concaves?

polar 9:
9" x 32.25"
Nose 7"
Wheelbase 14.5"
Tail 6.75"

gx1000 8.625
length: 32.5"
wheelbase: 14.75"
nose: 6.875"
tail: 6.75"

My 9 feels right at home after riding it for 6 months, all i want is a little narrower deck for easier flips. Maybe i should go with a BBS deck instead that is measured the same way as my current?

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3024 on: June 10, 2021, 04:55:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

@Urtripping Easy rider is PS. I have the 8.25 and assuming its the same mold then it's fairly mellow concave wise and the kicks are mellow, but overall it's not like mega flat the way the Kyle boards from the first PS run were. It's not really square but there isn't much taper either, more of a "full but round" shape to the nose. It was the first shape I set up when I got the new ones but ended up not being my favorite because the Evan Smith guest board was so good. 

Some of the logo decks were PS, but there weren't a ton of them and a lot of them were smaller... 7.875 seem to be the ones I've come across the most, I'm assuming because it's been really tough for smaller companies like Scumco to procure wood from PS and that's what was available. I did manage to get my hands on 8.25 thanks to the homie @STRANGLE and I love it but it's fairly steep for a PS deck. Not all pro models are PS but a lot of the semi-recent ones were. There's been 2 major runs of PS wood.. the broadcast series and then the ones that came out around christmas this year. To further confuse you, the latest run of boards that came out seem to be a mix of graphics from both PS runs but on control wood. Guessing they were leftover transfers. If you need help ID'ing something you see online shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can figure it out, or you can email the shop and ask if it has the PS sticker/serial # laser etch.

As for QC, I skate a lot of PS wood (actually the majority of what I've bought in the last year or so has been PS) and I haven't run into any issues. Some people just don't like how it feels or the fact it's not very stiff but objectively I can't think of anything. I had one quasi deck that I thought felt a little thick and soft but I think it was more to do with it not gelling with the trucks I had on it. When I sent it to a pal on here he said it felt fine to him. Obviously that sort of thing is pretty subjective, but I haven't had anything that was warped or unskateable or anything like that.

You were spot on, per usual, with your description of the shape! I went ahead and picked it up from my local, and even though it isn't as flat as I'm used to, I'm looking forward to skating it.

I noticed my 8.0 is just a teeny bit wider than that (like almost an eighth of an inch), but big whoop. Also, I was delighted to find that the wheelbase was 14 inches :)

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3025 on: June 10, 2021, 10:06:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks guys, the measurements of Nose & tail looks pretty similar to my current polar 9" om paper, but are they shorter since they measure Them pushed into the concaves?

polar 9:
9" x 32.25"
Nose 7"
Wheelbase 14.5"
Tail 6.75"

gx1000 8.625
length: 32.5"
wheelbase: 14.75"
nose: 6.875"
tail: 6.75"

My 9 feels right at home after riding it for 6 months, all i want is a little narrower deck for easier flips. Maybe i should go with a BBS deck instead that is measured the same way as my current?

Depends really, if you are comfortable with what you’ve got, probably best to just stick with that. PS wood feels very different to bbs, if you’re not used to the give and flex you might find it feels soggy. It’s also more fragile in my experience, though I have snapped far more bbs decks than PS (mainly user error), it just gets beat up quicker. I prefer the feel of PS personally.

Maybe sizing down trucks and sticking with the polar shape will help your flips. It can definitely be much easier/quicker to flip setups with slightly tucked wheels.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 211
« Reply #3026 on: June 10, 2021, 02:12:08 PM »
i kind of want to switch from thunder 149 to venture 5.6

Honestly don't have anything wrong with the thunders i just like the way ventures look, and bc i like crooked grind and hear they have good pinch.

missed out on the sale yesterday tho :(

I just did exactly the same thing because I found some Ventures on sale. You won’t regret it and I’ve been riding Thunders forever.

Ventures feel… softer. The metal I mean. Am I tripping??

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #3027 on: June 17, 2021, 12:19:49 AM »
Either buying two of the same shape I'm currently riding or buying one and another slightly different setup.

Either 2 of the OG Reapetor AWS board: 8.6 X 31.75

Or

One of those and possibly an 8.5 X 32- 31.8 with 14.25 WB or shorter board. Possibly one from Krooked. Kind of want a Hockey board but...eh.
The chillest1

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3028 on: June 17, 2021, 09:04:41 AM »
Almost bought some Ave Pros for around $60, very interesting cupsole with the waffle grip but super narrow towards the toe box. Even at 1/2 a size bigger than my usual (9.5) the instep area felt very tight even with the laces loosened.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3029 on: June 17, 2021, 11:46:48 AM »