Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324592 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #3180 on: October 29, 2021, 08:26:49 AM »
contemplating buying some 99a spitfire f4 standard conicals. i really want one setup that does it all and the main problem is wheels.

local park is so icy, 101a oj elites were slipping out. on some 101a spfs now but they don't belong in the street. i know 97a conical fulls are popular here but those big wheels are too clunky.

Maybe some Spitfire Radials? But I don't know if they are available now.
IG: @flowterspace

sketchyrider

« Reply #3181 on: October 29, 2021, 10:07:42 AM »
Expand Quote
contemplating buying some 99a spitfire f4 standard conicals. i really want one setup that does it all and the main problem is wheels.

local park is so icy, 101a oj elites were slipping out. on some 101a spfs now but they don't belong in the street. i know 97a conical fulls are popular here but those big wheels are too clunky.
[close]

Maybe some Spitfire Radials? But I don't know if they are available now.

yeah that is something to think about. flip tricks are a little hard on conicals, but classics dont lock in how i like, radial might be perf.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #3182 on: October 29, 2021, 10:13:15 AM »
Does anyone know if there's a difference between the various R7 decks? I ask because Globe R7 blank ("Goodstock") decks are $35 with grip on Skate Warehouse, and if that's basically the same deck as an Enjoi or Almost, then I don't see why I wouldn't just start skating these exclusively.

I recently picked up a Globe deck from skatewarehouse.com for $40 and if there's a difference between this deck and he Enjoi decks I've had before, I sense none of it. Barring the obvious sale prices, these are the best deal for R7 decks I've found.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3183 on: October 29, 2021, 11:33:58 AM »

Tried 101 spfs and 99a oj elites. The spfs are a little bit grippier and a little bit more unforgiving on rough ground due to their smaller contact patch.Once broken in they should roll quite similar to the ojs . I really like those 99a hardlines, good rollspeed on rough asphalt. Got myself some 58s rode them down to 55 and they are my perfect wheel now.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3184 on: October 29, 2021, 11:48:03 AM »
Expand Quote
another bout with the madness.....brushing up on ledge fundamentals today with the santa cruz 8.8 shape and there was just too much foot on the board to be precise.

swapped to a quasi 8.38, and its going better than expected. square, 31.75 length, 14.25 wb, short, steep tail. more stable with 5.8s and even less wheelbite than the 8.8/5.8 pairing to my surprise. everything pop related is working aside from flip tricks, need more space for flicks. the 8.5 proto is probably what im looking for, just a wider version of the 8.38

kinda bummed the sc didnt work out, wood is great but the shape is just too long and pointy for my tastes. i feel like wider boards need to be shorter (wb or length, preferably length) to balance things out. that antihero 8.75 looks right up my alley but will probably wait go with the quasi first.
[close]

What was the WB on your 8.8 sc? I got a creature stumps 8.8 and was stoked to set it up and skate ledges and some smaller tranny but but now I’m having second thoughts
14.25 but precision grinds were a prayer for me. i tend to struggle with boards 32" long for street, just feels like excess board to maneuver especially at this width.

31.75" with a 14.125wb and im satisfied with the board but its not all about me. if you have been skating 14.25/32" for all eternity then you should be fine. i just cant stand that length for a board thats getting off the ground, more work than its worth.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sketchyrider

« Reply #3185 on: October 29, 2021, 11:54:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tried 101 spfs and 99a oj elites. The spfs are a little bit grippier and a little bit more unforgiving on rough ground due to their smaller contact patch.Once broken in they should roll quite similar to the ojs . I really like those 99a hardlines, good rollspeed on rough asphalt. Got myself some 58s rode them down to 55 and they are my perfect wheel now.

i post here about it all the time, but i've struggled finding the one wheel to do it all. f4 101a conicals were my favorite but i moved and the local park is one of the slickest i've ever skated.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3186 on: October 29, 2021, 11:59:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
another bout with the madness.....brushing up on ledge fundamentals today with the santa cruz 8.8 shape and there was just too much foot on the board to be precise.

swapped to a quasi 8.38, and its going better than expected. square, 31.75 length, 14.25 wb, short, steep tail. more stable with 5.8s and even less wheelbite than the 8.8/5.8 pairing to my surprise. everything pop related is working aside from flip tricks, need more space for flicks. the 8.5 proto is probably what im looking for, just a wider version of the 8.38

kinda bummed the sc didnt work out, wood is great but the shape is just too long and pointy for my tastes. i feel like wider boards need to be shorter (wb or length, preferably length) to balance things out. that antihero 8.75 looks right up my alley but will probably wait go with the quasi first.
[close]

What was the WB on your 8.8 sc? I got a creature stumps 8.8 and was stoked to set it up and skate ledges and some smaller tranny but but now I’m having second thoughts
[close]
14.25 but precision grinds were a prayer for me. i tend to struggle with boards 32" long for street, just feels like excess board to maneuver especially at this width.

31.75" with a 14.125wb and im satisfied with the board but its not all about me. if you have been skating 14.25/32" for all eternity then you should be fine. i just cant stand that length for a board thats getting off the ground, more work than its worth.

Woah mate. I agree 100%.
Sour has some 8.25 decks, which are stamped 31.52 on top but they are actually 31.7. Which width are you looking for?

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3187 on: October 29, 2021, 12:16:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i post here about it all the time, but i've struggled finding the one wheel to do it all. f4 101a conicals were my favorite but i moved and the local park is one of the slickest i've ever skated.

Tried bones stf 99a but they are too slippery on asphalt but offer good grip on unpolished concrete. Ojs 99a elite and spf 101a offer more grip on asphalt and concrete. Couldn't  try on polished concrete yet.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3188 on: October 29, 2021, 03:03:49 PM »
DLX 8.28 shape, the one mason skates.

My go-to shape is the 8.5 dlx with 14.25 wheelbase but i feel like going a bit smaller to try and get tech. I ride 5.6 ventures. anyone got input on this?

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3189 on: October 29, 2021, 04:04:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Woah mate. I agree 100%.
Sour has some 8.25 decks, which are stamped 31.52 on top but they are actually 31.7. Which width are you looking for?
well after spending irresponsibly i found my daily driver dims but the pickings are slim afaik

Width: 8.5 - 8.75
Length: 31.75 - 31.875
WB: 14 - 14.25
Nose: 6.8 - 7
Tail: 6.625 max

the quasi 8.5 shape (proto II without the rectangle graphic?) and pennswood pressed scumcos in 8.5 & 8.75 are what i liked in these ranges. not sure if pennswood is still in business so theres that

also liked the hockey 8.5, feels shorter than advertised due to the pitched up nose. unfortunately i overheard some kid at the spot paid $80 for one w/ grip from the new fa store. hockey graphics are my favorites but.....id rather them gifted. the new status symbol in skate decks?

the antihero 8.75 seems like the next smart purchase but the crail 8.5 twin tail is on the radar
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3190 on: October 29, 2021, 04:08:07 PM »

My go-to shape is the 8.5 dlx with 14.25 wheelbase but i feel like going a bit smaller to try and get tech. I ride 5.6 ventures. anyone got input on this?
this is the man to ask

Love Frank so I grabbed his guest board

8.28 x 14.1 x 31.7 mason shape
53 f4 seasons Collab classics
Super Swiss 6
Venture 5.6 with the Ti hangar cast plate combo. Riptide cups and supercush bushings

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3191 on: October 30, 2021, 02:19:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
this is the man to ask
Expand Quote

Super Swiss 6
Venture 5.6 with the Ti hangar cast plate combo. Riptide cups and supercush bushings
[close]

Yeah the specs sound super good on paper, but what length has the tail on that shape?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #3192 on: October 30, 2021, 03:47:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
this is the man to ask
Expand Quote

Super Swiss 6
[close]
[close]

Yeah the specs sound super good on paper, but what length has the tail on that shape?

The tail is about 6.38 as per the DLX Shapes thread, which seems way too short for me, but others like it.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.1080

Fhk

« Reply #3193 on: October 30, 2021, 05:44:11 AM »
There is a pair of Hocks that I really want to try. Has anyone in the US have any info on how/where I can get their shoes? There is no translation option on their website.
Sorry for posting this in here

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3194 on: October 30, 2021, 05:52:57 AM »
IDK, never heard of Hocks until I read you post, but dear god I hope a pair of those purple numbers are the shoe in question.

Fhk

« Reply #3195 on: October 30, 2021, 06:01:51 AM »
IDK, never heard of Hocks until I read you post, but dear god I hope a pair of those purple numbers are the shoe in question.
I love those purple ones, but there's two colorways of the Do Vales that I'm looking to get.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3196 on: October 30, 2021, 07:22:36 AM »
Anyone ride both the 8.5x14.25 Anti Hero and either the 8.5 Quasi Proto or normal shape with 14.25? Curious about copping that Dick Rizzo deck.

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3197 on: October 30, 2021, 11:47:35 AM »
Anyone ride both the 8.5x14.25 Anti Hero and either the 8.5 Quasi Proto or normal shape with 14.25? Curious about copping that Dick Rizzo deck.

I have the Rizzo 8.5. Skated 3 times before cracking and subsequently swapping it out. Didn’t have a good feeling for me. Really mellow, short and tapers to under 8.38 at rear bolts. Too much taper for me, didn’t get along with it. Much prefer the longer quasi 8.5. Too bad the ps wood has been less than reliable as of late.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3198 on: October 30, 2021, 04:48:14 PM »
Ya I had a Justin Henry 8.25 that was great and lasted as long as any other deck. I replaced it with a BDK 8.25 and that felt and sounded dead from the get go. Kind of a bummer.

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #3199 on: November 10, 2021, 01:19:00 PM »
does anyone have the krooked eye pants? could you help with the waist  sizing? either small or medium?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3200 on: November 11, 2021, 12:37:47 PM »
Have Indy forged 159s on one setup and want another set of 8.75 trucks just for grins.

The big Z has Thunder and Ventures for $30, but the new Royals look tempting.

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3201 on: November 11, 2021, 01:55:13 PM »
any recommendations for squared nosed, steep concave and short wb decks? (8.5)

trying to steer away from fa & hockey

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #3202 on: November 11, 2021, 02:05:41 PM »
^
Certain Quasi shapes, Numbers (if you can still find them), and Real Full SE are either first that come to mind.  :)
Super Champion Fun Zone

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3203 on: November 11, 2021, 03:05:41 PM »
any recommendations for squared nosed, steep concave and short wb decks? (8.5)

trying to steer away from fa & hockey

Depending on your view of steep, Alien Workshop or Habitat normal 8.5 x 32.25 with only about a 14.125 wb is very squared off compared to most, also longer kicks than usual but a fairly normal BBS wood feel.

Nowhere near as steep as the FA / Hockey boards I have seen though, but definitely not mellow.

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3204 on: November 12, 2021, 05:57:14 AM »
thanks for the looks. might peep josh wilson’s quasi

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3205 on: November 12, 2021, 04:46:48 PM »

Quasi are definitely squared off.

I had a skate on one yesterday - butterfly graphic in 8.25 - but I wouldn't call it steep concave.

They are PS Stix, as are WKND which also have some of those shapes, but not all Quasi or WKND are square though, so check into it before ordering if you cannot buy in person.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3206 on: November 12, 2021, 05:58:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Quasi are definitely squared off.

I had a skate on one yesterday - butterfly graphic in 8.25 - but I wouldn't call it steep concave.

They are PS Stix, as are WKND which also have some of those shapes, but not all Quasi or WKND are square though, so check into it before ordering if you cannot buy in person.

Check the dimensions on their website, thei BP shape is incredibly short (31.1").

I DM's Grant (like a man) and he said the length measurements are flat across, not tip to tip.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3207 on: November 17, 2021, 12:44:58 PM »
Anyone tried a Palace 8.2 deck? I am a bit nervous since the tail is shorter as 6.5

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3208 on: November 23, 2021, 03:59:46 AM »

polar 9.0 thats going with 6.1s/forged plates
transition setup for days i dont want to jump

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3209 on: November 23, 2021, 05:51:28 AM »

polar 9.0 thats going with 6.1s/forged plates
transition setup for days i dont want to jump
I support this decision. Tell me how it goes if you put it together, I've only got a couple more years before I retire to the bowls