Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 328843 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #3570 on: June 24, 2023, 06:29:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Im tempted to buy some Ace af1 55 but I wonder how they compare size wise to the venture 5.8? Are they about the same size or does the ace fun longer?
[close]
Same hanger and axle width

interesting, wouldn’t have guessed that. just kinda spitballing, but i think venture hangers run a little bit smaller, than some trucks, and my experience with ace is that they run noticeably smaller. that being blabbed, i’ve only had the af1 44s

Yep pretty much, as both add up to about 8.5" in total width, slightly more axle and less hanger on the AF1 trucks.

I could fit an extra washer or two on each side of the axles of the Ace AF1 55s I have though and the hanger did seem a tiny bit less than the other major brands like Indy, Thunder and Venture, but not enough to cause alarm or issues.  The axles are the same though.

Definitely not like the Ace Classic 44s that some people wanted to run as 8.5" trucks that are really only 8.35" or so.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Weeb_poser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #3571 on: June 26, 2023, 03:22:05 AM »
Thinking about trying quantum bearings and really treating myself

Pasta Monster

« Reply #3572 on: June 26, 2023, 08:29:42 AM »
If you like yourself, get a set of Swiss 6.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3573 on: June 26, 2023, 08:31:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If you like yourself, get a set of Swiss 6.
+ 1 on this
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3574 on: June 26, 2023, 09:33:17 AM »
I used Swiss or Swiss 6 since 1998 and like the Quantums better. They're super fast and I have to maintain them less. I've never had a single jammed bearing or issue with them. Everyone that I have gaslit into trying them has not switched back to what they were on before including Swiss. Of course, Swiss are still amazing bearings and you're really in the margins with any of these choices, but I feel Quantum has one upped Bones.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #3575 on: June 26, 2023, 09:46:36 AM »
The Quantums didn't last for me. I'm back on Swiss 6 and they're chugging through year three perfectly with minimal maintenance. There will be 4th of July sales in a few weeks and I'm sure you'll be able to snag a pair for ~$55 from one of the online retailers.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #3576 on: June 26, 2023, 10:00:56 AM »
My 4th of July sale list:

X97 or X99 wheels
tensor maglights
My first shaped board, maybe a scram? I want something that skates different from a popsicle.
A mini complete for one of my kids, soft top?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
« Reply #3577 on: June 26, 2023, 11:17:36 AM »
I used Swiss or Swiss 6 since 1998 and like the Quantums better. They're super fast and I have to maintain them less. I've never had a single jammed bearing or issue with them. Everyone that I have gaslit into trying them has not switched back to what they were on before including Swiss. Of course, Swiss are still amazing bearings and you're really in the margins with any of these choices, but I feel Quantum has one upped Bones.

While this may be the case for you mr. Lebowski, the QC seems to be minimal at best as many slap posters have not had such stellar experiences. For the $$ regular ol swiss keeps rolling
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #3578 on: June 26, 2023, 11:52:04 AM »
My isotopes are faster than my Swiss, but I’d say they do require a bit more maintenance. I think I’m about two years in on the isotopes and I’ve done a full cleaning and lube about three times. The speed seems to be pretty unmatched in my opinion.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3579 on: June 26, 2023, 11:56:49 AM »
I've had much much better luck with my quantum atoms and isotopes than any sets of swiss or swiss 6 I've owned in the past

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3580 on: June 26, 2023, 12:26:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

While this may be the case for you mr. Lebowski, the QC seems to be minimal at best as many slap posters have not had such stellar experiences. For the $$ regular ol swiss keeps rolling

Quantum had a few early QC issues and many of the "issues" with them are from people running them shieldless when specifically advised by the company not to. So, I can't really consider that to be in line with your statement. There is far, far more praise for the product and good success stories. People on Slap went out of their way to shit on the company when they started and were biased towards complaining.

I had some of those early bearings which felt a bit slow. They came overlubed and Quantum sent me new bearings. My first set of bearings are the guide bearings in my industrial bandsaw now actually. The replacement Atoms Quantum sent me in 2020 are my current bearings. I have cleaned lubed them 6 total times since then. My prior set of Swiss 6 lasted about a year before 2 bearings developed notchiness that never went away and later was revealed to be a cracked cage, which is a common breaking point for them noted in threads on this forum. I was cleaning them on a much more frequent basis despite skating in a place that has less dust/fine sand.

Every product can and will break. There is no evidence to say that Quantum or Bones are more susceptible to issues than other bearings, but since they are more expensive people talk about them more.

lightnet

« Reply #3581 on: July 23, 2023, 08:20:33 AM »
80 dollars tho cmon man

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3582 on: July 23, 2023, 09:12:30 AM »
Trying to avoid buying some 8.25 ventures since my AF1 55 still have a lot of life on them but I want to size down + the price is really good on those V-Lights...
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 90
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #3583 on: July 23, 2023, 01:07:24 PM »
Haven’t checked the boards in a while.  Wanted to say thanks for all the kind words on the page. 

Sorry to the few people who didn’t have the best luck with our bearings. 

As someone said on another thread, it does boil down to luck, sometimes, with any bearing. 

As Lebowski said, we’ve had far far more success stories than the few failures.  It’s the few failures you hear more about.  (Over and over sometimes 😂 ).

I’ll also say that our QC is definitely far more than minimal.  We handle every set of bearings that we sell and we stand behind every product.

Again, thanks for all the love/feedback/support/input good or bad.  It’s all appreciated and nothing goes unnoticed.
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #3584 on: July 23, 2023, 09:30:59 PM »
Trying to avoid buying some 8.25 ventures since my AF1 55 still have a lot of life on them but I want to size down + the price is really good on those V-Lights...

plus with ventures the pop is really good

but on the other hand, i don’t seem to do well with 8.25 trucks

best of luck stay strong

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3585 on: July 24, 2023, 01:37:45 AM »
I am thinking about getting this fisheye for my camcorder. Anyone might have experiences with this company or their products? The fisheye is more expensive as my actual camcorder, which is a bit funny.

https://realmdt.com/de-de/products/52mm-0-3x-fisheye-lens?pr_prod_strat=copurchase_transfer_learning&pr_rec_id=d4962193c&pr_rec_pid=898810216495&pr_ref_pid=898867462191&pr_seq=uniform
IG: @flowterspace

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3586 on: July 24, 2023, 01:38:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

best of luck stay strong
They should arrive on Wednesday so I totally failed on avoiding them.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #3587 on: July 24, 2023, 09:21:58 AM »
Considering getting that BA There guest board or one of the new Sci Fi boards. The problem is that I definitely don't need a new deck yet lol

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3588 on: July 24, 2023, 10:27:39 AM »
I would want to build a lighter and smaller setup for some flatground flipping but on the other hand, my body doesn't really like jumping right now. I dont have problem with cruising and doing occasional jumps here and there. Maybe I'll just get some hollow trucks and smaller wheels for my boaty board.  ::)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3589 on: July 24, 2023, 10:56:44 AM »
I gotta get shoes this week. It's mandatory.

I'm thinking find more Blue suede slips. That shoe is beautiful and it last 3 months easily without glue. I made two pairs last almost a year with just a small Ollie hole.

I wish I could get af1s or fast breaks but I only got like 45 bucks for this.

Even then I'm riding the rail of starvation. That's not an exaggeration.

What's the most durable shoe you know? I need to get 2 months out of it w or wo glue or whatever
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #3590 on: July 24, 2023, 11:05:53 AM »

I'm thinking find more Blue suede slips. That shoe is beautiful and it last 3 months easily without glue. I made two pairs last almost a year with just a small Ollie hole.

What's the most durable shoe you know? I need to get 2 months out of it w or wo glue or whatever

The longest lasting shoe I've skated in the past few years has been the New Balance 1010.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3591 on: July 24, 2023, 11:06:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The longest lasting shoe I've skated in the past few years has been the New Balance 1010.

That might be a good idea.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

manuduncan

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3592 on: July 24, 2023, 03:55:19 PM »
speaking of shoes the grosso mids in blue caught my eye, i went to go see how much they are and they're fucking $95

for a vans skate shoe

what the fuck

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3593 on: July 24, 2023, 04:07:12 PM »
I can’t decide if I want x99 v5 bones ( I’ve had the shape in the past I enjoy it probably my favorite shape.) or x99 v6 bones. Basically a wider v5. I been skating conicals but I’m a classics guy I think and when the v5 wears they’ll have more surface area I think I made my decision now. But open to suggestions

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #3594 on: July 24, 2023, 08:53:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

best of luck stay strong
[close]
They should arrive on Wednesday so I totally failed on avoiding them.

I'm on a dying pair of 55's and sprung for the 6.1's with the loose trucks green bushing kit. Been on 8.75 decks for a while and my curiosity about Ventures got the best of me.

These dudes made skating transition on ventures look too good:
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #3595 on: July 24, 2023, 10:25:28 PM »
The trucks are drastically different…….

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3596 on: July 25, 2023, 01:00:04 AM »
speaking of shoes the grosso mids in blue caught my eye, i went to go see how much they are and they're fucking $95

for a vans skate shoe

what the fuck
They still have that awful insole?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #3597 on: July 25, 2023, 02:02:06 AM »

for a vans skate shoe

what the fuck

Vans are kinda gross anyway but it"s up to you if you really like to skate them. My latest skate Vans' felt total garbage.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #3598 on: July 25, 2023, 02:16:09 AM »
The trucks are drastically different…….

For sure. There's a solid chance I'll be posting in thr buyer's remorse thread about them, I've just never had a pair and want to see if I can fuck with them enough to make em work for me.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Bill Salt

« Reply #3599 on: July 25, 2023, 03:01:11 AM »
the bones nano cubics.
Dorcus deck (japan)