Author Topic: creation skateboards  (Read 3871 times)

cherry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
creation skateboards
« on: November 20, 2016, 06:05:26 PM »
Hasn't updated their site in awhile aside from deleting Chris luhring and josh love from team page.

Are they done?
Reboot?
Do u care?

Satori still going... http://www.cultureskate.com/product_detail.cfm?CatID=89&PID=3003

Those joggers look nice  8)

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
Re: creation skateboards
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 06:57:12 AM »
I still watch High Grade Blend every now and then. Two Brian Downey parts. John Buchanan was super underrated, too. I had a few sets of Satoris in the last few years, not really the best wheels.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2248
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 08:28:40 AM »
Ahaha Satori still has this page up. http://satoriwheels.org/team/marijuana-del-gato/

An interview with a "team rider" who is in fact, just marijuana. Too bad the photos don't show anymore. They were actual skate photos but photoshopped with a cartoon pot leaf doing the tricks.

One of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen from a skate company.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »
Disclosure: I work for High Grade Distribution (Satori / Creation) as the team manager and media dude

Unfortunately, I don't have any updates to the future of Creation. I've been telling the team that for quite a while now. When I started working at High Grade back in 2009 it was tough to sell those boards. There was a big push a couple years ago by bringing on Chris Dyer to art direct the brand, as well as put a few new people on, and release a video / go on trips... but things came up that didn't involve me and the brand has been at a standstill since then. There have only been a handful of boards in stock for a good chunk of time. Most of the smaller sized boards that we had were donated to SkateQilya in Palestine.

Chris Luhring went to Friendship skateboards and Josh Love is currently doing his thing teaching yoga and shredding, they are both still on Satori.

As for Satori we have a lot of wheels stocked up as well as gear. We have been supplying companies with hemp / organic cotton clothing. If any skate companies want to start using more sustainable products for their brands, they should hit up [email protected]

Makavelli, which wheels did you get from us? I've been the middle man between hundreds of sets of wheels getting to our team riders for nearly 7 years and feedback on wheel quality has been positive.

If you are into hard wheels and want a set that are damn near impossible to flatspot, the recycled plastic cores would be the ones I'd recommend. As for the soft wheels, all of them handle the streets with ease.

Watson, I put that together as a joke. Turning a weed leaf into a humanized skateboarder on photos I'd shot was actually a fun way to kill the monotony of working with skate media. Your memory is off as it was an actual weed leaf, not a cartoon, but who cares about specifics these days?

If you wanna call that one of the most embarrassing things from a skate company, I'd gladly accept the trophy for that, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be deserving of the spot. Our webhost crashed years ago and a lot of the old media files got corrupted, hence the broken images.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 09:13:50 AM by tkp »

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1213
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »
I may have asked this before, but where is Kenny Reed in all of this? When I Google him the first thing that comes up is his page on the Creation site. When I click "Team" though, Matt Pailes is the only pro listed. Where in the world is Kenny Reed?
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 09:02:17 AM »
I may have asked this before, but where is Kenny Reed in all of this? When I Google him the first thing that comes up is his page on the Creation site. When I click "Team" though, Matt Pailes is the only pro listed. Where in the world is Kenny Reed?

Kenny retired from being a pro skateboarder 1-2 years ago. He didn't want to make any formal announcements about it.

The last time I talked to him he was in NY about to head to Palestine to work with http://www.skateqilya.org/

https://www.instagram.com/kennyreedo/

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:34:32 AM »
I started riding Creation Boards and loved the Matt Pailes ...I used to go to that shop that they had in SF all the time, they had some dope shit in that store!

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 10:10:15 AM »
The recycled plastic cores, I loved every set I skated. I also sold a lot of Gurus wheels like four years ago, maybe.

I really like Satori Movement and I cant remember why we stop selling them.  ::)

Its good to know they are still out there, somewhere around the globe.

Chapingro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 11:15:23 PM »
I enjoy their edits.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 08:57:27 AM »
I started riding Creation Boards and loved the Matt Pailes ...I used to go to that shop that they had in SF all the time, they had some dope shit in that store!

Pailes is still out killing it on a board in Sacramento. He's moving pretty high up in the kung fu world and that shit is definitely keeping him agile. I remember Culture Skate on Valencia. I mainly worked in the warehouse when I started, but would stop by the shop from time to time. The art shows were always fun.

The recycled plastic cores, I loved every set I skated. I also sold a lot of Gurus wheels like four years ago, maybe.

I really like Satori Movement and I cant remember why we stop selling them.  ::)

Its good to know they are still out there, somewhere around the globe.

The recycled cores were the only wheels I'd skate when I was riding hard wheels and didn't want to deal with any flat spots. I took at least 4 sets down to the cores with no issues.

We still have wheels in stock if you ever need some.

I enjoy their edits.

That's Create, which is a cool company out of SF. Good to see the young bucks getting hooked up.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »
Makavelli, which wheels did you get from us? I've been the middle man between hundreds of sets of wheels getting to our team riders for nearly 7 years and feedback on wheel quality has been positive.

The last ones I had were some recycle ones, orange with a blue and white graphic on them. They were fine at first, but like a month later, they hardened and skated like (forgive me here) cheap walmart wheels. Like worked against the bearings and would literally stop rolling. After those, I bought some (and forgive me here, too) Paradise wheels, same bearings, no issues. I skated a number of the linked logo price point wheels, they were really good. I met Kenny Anderson once and asked him if he actually skated the wheels, and he had nothing but love for Satori. I'm not picky about my wheels, (I don't need Bones or Spits) currently skating Autobahns, but as much as I've backed High Grade (still wear some tees and a bamboo polo, skated Yellow boards back in the day) those wheels were not cutting it.

I do want to say that it's sick you guys are still out there doing it. Satori was one of those OG companies that kept skating fresh and unique to me for a long time. Thanks you.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 10:14:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The last ones I had were some recycle ones, orange with a blue and white graphic on them. They were fine at first, but like a month later, they hardened and skated like (forgive me here) cheap walmart wheels. Like worked against the bearings and would literally stop rolling. After those, I bought some (and forgive me here, too) Paradise wheels, same bearings, no issues. I skated a number of the linked logo price point wheels, they were really good. I met Kenny Anderson once and asked him if he actually skated the wheels, and he had nothing but love for Satori. I'm not picky about my wheels, (I don't need Bones or Spits) currently skating Autobahns, but as much as I've backed High Grade (still wear some tees and a bamboo polo, skated Yellow boards back in the day) those wheels were not cutting it.

I do want to say that it's sick you guys are still out there doing it. Satori was one of those OG companies that kept skating fresh and unique to me for a long time. Thanks you.

Hmm, was the whole wheel orange? Our recycled wheels are our Relife wheels, but those wouldn't have been fully orange. Maybe half of it.

If anyone is wondering, Relifes are old skate wheels we collected from shops that our manufacturer would sand down into a new core and add a fresh coating of urethane to it. So the core of the wheel could have been a Bones, Spitfire, OJ, Autobahn, Sector 9, etc. I only skated one set of those and burned through the new urethane in a few hours. Turns out adding one type of urethane to another is tricky. They looked cool and it was rad to see old wheels made skateable again. I told our manufacturer about my issue and they said they would do their best to improve the end result.

Glad to hear you got a set of wheels that worked well. If my memory serves me correct Paradise was made by the same manufacturer as Satori, but that's only what I heard through the grapevine.

I haven't been at the company from the start, but it's good to hear your thoughts on the company and what it brings to skating.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:16:19 AM by tkp »

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hmm, was the whole wheel orange? Our recycled wheels are our Relife wheels, but those wouldn't have been fully orange. Maybe half of it.

If anyone is wondering, Relifes are old skate wheels we collected from shops that our manufacturer would sand down into a new core and add a fresh coating of urethane to it. So the core of the wheel could have been a Bones, Spitfire, OJ, Autobahn, Sector 9, etc. I only skated one set of those and burned through the new urethane in a few hours. Turns out adding one type of urethane to another is tricky. They looked cool and it was rad to see old wheels made skateable again. I told our manufacturer about my issue and they said they would do their best to improve the end result.

Glad to hear you got a set of wheels that worked well. If my memory serves me correct Paradise was made by the same manufacturer as Satori, but that's only what I heard through the grapevine.

I haven't been at the company from the start, but it's good to hear your thoughts on the company and what it brings to skating.

I got curious, searched in my email. They were the "54mm Nabe V2 Series Wheels 99a Orange."

Maybe it was whatever compound used in orange urethane that gave out. I don't know. Like I said, they were fine, then after some wear, became an issue. I didn't notice it until a friend skated my board. After that and skating their board, I couldn't help but notice the difference.

Paradise is Nick Matlin's (former High Grade TM) wheel company, so its likely that he uses the same manufacturer.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:27:39 PM by Makaveli »