Author Topic: Lacey Baker ll Transworld Interview  (Read 16074 times)

pabloalvarado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.

SimonFR

Re: Lacey Baker ll Transworld Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 02:49:09 PM »
girls speaking about sexism when they are the most sexist..

We need a girl division we need this we need that.
Lacey baker is crying she doesn't have a paycheck...

You don't fucking have the level of an average 20years old skater dude at every park.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »
Lacey Baker fucking rips. Awesome interview.
The skate industry should be straight ashamed/embarrassed of themselves that she's 1) not getting paid, and 2) uninsured.
The gender disparity in skating is atrocious but is thankfully getting better, slowly but surely.
Skating is supposed to be radical, like politically radical, but its industry wide exclusion of women and LBGTQ folks (up until literally two months ago) is deplorable.
Lacey and the whole MEOW crew fucking rule.
That backside nosegrind nollie heel out in the interview? Get outta here. Ill as fuck.  :o

Thanks for posting!
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -376
  • ants suck!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »
Lacey Baker fucking rips. Awesome interview.
The skate industry should be straight ashamed/embarrassed of themselves that she's 1) not getting paid, and 2) uninsured.
The gender disparity in skating is atrocious but is thankfully getting better, slowly but surely.
Skating is supposed to be radical, like politically radical, but its industry wide exclusion of women and LBGTQ folks (up until literally two months ago) is deplorable.
Lacey and the whole MEOW crew fucking rule.
That backside nosegrind nollie heel out in the interview? Get outta here. Ill as fuck.  :o

Thanks for posting!

why did she fucking bury half the fucking table ?  WEAK AS FUCK ON A BERRA LEVEL
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

shark tits

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 03:16:27 PM »
her dad was a son of liberty, crazy! who's her brother?
i feel bad, if EB runs meow decks [8.5 boy size] i'll buy em.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 03:33:42 PM »
Crying about judging in never a good idea. She makes it impossible to like her, just shut up and skate.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 04:08:28 PM »
all you guys hating on her are trippin. I understand the sponsorship and shit, cannot pay a rider if they don't bring in the money. But cmon she's trying to open the boarders of the skateboarding world. Give her SOME credit like that nosegrind heel out. Fuck she's good.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 04:24:54 PM »
she's been 'shutting up and skating' for a long fucking time. let her speak her mind.
male skaters can make a decent living without competing--they can't. I hope Meow blows up and sparks further change in the industry.
The bottom line isn't necessarily bigger contest prizes, it's about better integration.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 04:25:53 PM »
I want an Alexis interview now :'(

testicool

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 04:32:47 PM »
9 to 5? muricans have it easy.
and she fucking sucks. she looks like a guy but skates like a girl. the worst combination haha

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »
"It seems like the punkest thing you could ever do would be to put a girl transexual on your team."

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 04:48:41 PM »
I thought MEOW and Hoopla were the same company. I really dig Samarria. I hope she goes far.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 04:55:36 PM »
lacey is the best

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 04:58:55 PM »
i thought refusing all sponsors would be the punkest freakin thing a sk8er could freakin do

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 05:30:42 PM »
I've read a few interviews of hers, and the male vs. female pro thing came up every time. It's really simple: not as many females skate as males, most men don't watch female skate contests, females skating doesn't generate as much income as males and companies can't pay them as much. When you consider the amount of male and female skaters then look at the percentages of those that can actually make a living off of it, it's probably pretty close. It's unfortunate and lame, but that's just how it is and beating the dead horse isn't helping her or anyone else. Regardless, I'm a fan and I hope she gets paid.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 05:46:44 PM »
I've read a few interviews of hers, and the male vs. female pro thing came up every time. It's really simple: not as many females skate as males, most men don't watch female skate contests, females skating doesn't generate as much income as males and companies can't pay them as much. When you consider the amount of male and female skaters then look at the percentages of those that can actually make a living off of it, it's probably pretty close. It's unfortunate and lame, but that's just how it is and beating the dead horse isn't helping her or anyone else. Regardless, I'm a fan and I hope she gets paid.

I don't know about that. I think Elissa Steamer might have been the only one to make a real living and it was thanks to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

Also, the separation of males vs. females thing is part of the idea of garnering more girls into skating. Given that girls don't really get a foot in the door of the industry house, the girl brand for girl skaters thing is making their own house to be more encouraging for girls to try skating and make an attempt at the professional level.

Lacey shreds without taking a break. Also had no idea that her dad was in TSOL, or that a member of TSOL was in Road House.

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 06:03:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know about that. I think Elissa Steamer might have been the only one to make a real living and it was thanks to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

Also, the separation of males vs. females thing is part of the idea of garnering more girls into skating. Given that girls don't really get a foot in the door of the industry house, the girl brand for girl skaters thing is making their own house to be more encouraging for girls to try skating and make an attempt at the professional level.

Lacey shreds without taking a break. Also had no idea that her dad was in TSOL, or that a member of TSOL was in Road House.
Yeah... reading that again, that looks like a stretch. Retracted. Elissa was getting hype before Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, give us some credit.

lilpeen

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 06:06:32 PM »
Im a simple man. I dont like how she looks, therefor I dont like her. Just like I dont like ben kadow (maybe the same person) but ben has death stare and has something about him I like. Lacey just seems like a whiner.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 06:20:38 PM »
Yeah... reading that again, that looks like a stretch. Retracted. Elissa was getting hype before Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, give us some credit.

Most definitely but THPS bumped her up to "retire" hype. Come to think of it, how many girls have had non b-team shoe sponsors since Elissa? Gallaz lasted for like a year. Jessie Van Roechoudt rode for Vans and eventually that crappy Genetic company. Leticia rides for Nike.

McJagger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Most definitely but THPS bumped her up to "retire" hype. Come to think of it, how many girls have had non b-team shoe sponsors since Elissa? Gallaz lasted for like a year. Jessie Van Roechoudt rode for Vans and eventually that crappy Genetic company. Leticia rides for Nike.

Lizzie Armanto is on Vans and Nora Vasconcellos is on Adidas now.  It's really rad to see female skaters getting more respect from companies and push for their place in the industry.  I'm hoping it just continues to trend upwards.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 07:15:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

cara beth burnside had several vans pro model shoes but i guess that was before elissa. i believe in this issue alexis sablone was offered a spot on es but she turned it down to go to college.

TEMP-GNAR

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 07:27:44 PM »
im not sure how to say this without sounding like a dickhead but ill try. i don't give a fuck about lacy baker cuz I don't dig her style/ trick selection. Same reason I don't like that nick tucker dude: inward heel flips are ugly to me. Just like I don't like 3/4 of skaters out there, it's just personal preference . Just because you're a chick and got tricks doesn't mean I'm gonna back the fuck out of you. Not everyone can be dal santo I guess

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 10:42:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not taking anything away from Elissa...but I bet no Ed T.....no Elissa....he helped her big time to showcase her and show she was legit...that's what it takes.....

I think girls like Lacey don't see this happening....guys like Ed don't come around very often....this is why they are saying they have to build it on their own....

they are stuck with it but it's a reasonable question why do girls have to compete?  90% of male skaters don't........

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 07:24:16 AM »
I can't stand when people say 9-5, there is no such fucking thing in America, it's 8-5, people who use that expression have never had a real job.

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 07:44:13 AM »
It would be sick to see Emerica / Lakai put Lacey on. She wouldn't need as big of a check as some of their big name dudes, but would give them a ton of exposure, imagine someone wearing Emerica's winning a gold medal at the olympics... that'd be pretty wild.

headtowall

• Rep: -14
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 08:20:20 AM »
girls speaking about sexism when they are the most sexist..

We need a girl division we need this we need that.
Lacey baker is crying she doesn't have a paycheck...

You don't fucking have the level of an average 20years old skater dude at every park.

People like you are the reason articles like this need to be written.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 08:52:25 AM »
Does anybody else feel like that interviewer was awkward as fuck? The questions about foster care and her dad dying of AIDS that he got from doing heroin...they came out of nowhere and she didn't seem like she wanted to go into that shit, but the interviewer just kept pushing it further and harder.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 09:03:50 AM »
Does anybody else feel like that interviewer was awkward as fuck? The questions about foster care and her dad dying of AIDS that he got from doing heroin...they came out of nowhere and she didn't seem like she wanted to go into that shit, but the interviewer just kept pushing it further and harder.

It was a little weird in print but Mackenzie/deadhippie did their research and asked challenging questions, and I am sure if Lacey didn't want to answer them, she wouldn't have--I think she is just a reserved person so it came across as more distant than it was.. It definitely gave me a much more in-depth perspective of where she came from, etc. and I thought it was a good interview. Definitely not cookie-cutter shit.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 09:16:04 AM »
I can't stand when people say 9-5, there is no such fucking thing in America, it's 8-5, people who use that expression have never had a real job.

Haha I felt the same way
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
But why does he need to ask challenging questions of that nature? Its not like she's running for political office. She's a skateboarder. If she wanted to discuss it, that would be one thing, but it came off as really pushy and rude when she clearly kept wanting to downplay it or just not go into it. The foster care question was legit, but she seemed to really want to nip it in the bud and not talk about her background, and what's the next thing he does? He goes more into her parents' issues with drug addiction. I can get asking challenging questions about her take on the industry, I'd be willing to bet she'd even invite them as a chance to fully explain her approach to it, but like "Wasn't your dad some AIDS junky who died when you were a kid?" isn't exactly the same as "Why do you think there needs to be new companies to support female skaters?" It would have been way better if he eased his way in and picked up on her cues to change the subject. Have a series of questions like "I heard you started skating during a pretty challenging period of your childhood, can you tell us a bit more about that?" then when she clearly would have said "No, I don't want to talk about it at all" or something along those lines, change the subject and move on. Especially when you consider the fact that the industry questions being asked actually were really interesting.

The photos also were kind of funny. Like, bank to backside wallride and frontside flip on a bank are both pretty meh, but then BOOM! back nosegrind nollie heel out on a picnic table, which is among the best things a female skater has ever done.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out