Author Topic: Paris pals suggestions/recommendations  (Read 9581 times)

Stab n Kill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Paris pals suggestions/recommendations
« on: December 04, 2016, 02:08:15 PM »
If anyone could recommend any cafes, bars, clubs, walks, museums, or gallerys  that they would suggest; I would highly appreciate it. I am staying with the lady in Belleville for the whole month of January. I'll be spending most of my time with her, but will sneak in a session at Republique here & there.  Also, it'd be great if anyone could provide suggestions for public transportation. Are there one week or monthly passes that are available for purchase in order to ride the public transport trains unlimited times all week/month? I highly appreciate any advice friends, and if any of ya'll ever make it to Boston come and skate Eggs & then I'll grab you a beer at Biddys.

Stab n Kill

Re: Paris pals suggestions/recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »
By the way, for dinner around Belleville, I've been suggested to check out Hotel du Nord and Les Enfanta Perdus.
The cemetery Pere-Lachaise  in Belleville is worth walking through. 

If anyone happens to have any suggestions for hip hop clubs or small clubs that play deep house, I'd really appreciate it. I've been told that the Social Club plays trap on Saturdays.

For skate shops, I'll probably hit up Nozbone.  My lady wants to check Colette, Opera and the shops on Le Marais.  Would anyone know of any other boutiques that French women frequent.

As far galleries, we planned to check out the area of Pompidou Centre.  I've been looking forward to the Museum on Natural History.  Would anyone be able to recommend any book stores?

Are they any areas that seem to have nice, but cheap cafes/restaurants?  I think Montmarte will have both, but I am not too sure.  Even if you have any suggestions for specific restaurants, it'd be rad if you could share it.  It doesn't matter if it is pricey or cheap, it'd be nice to have specific spots to check out.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 10:08:18 AM »
sorry I am not the help you are looking for, but I have a couple suggestions.

Palais de Tokyo has had a lot of shows (art) I wished I could go see, I would go check it out, take my chances on them having something interesting.

I went to this anarchist bookstore that was cool, just copy-pasting this for you:

There is also Quilombo at 23 rue Voltaire, and Le Kiosk at Passage Dumas, not far from Place de la Republique. Le Kiosk is mostly fanzines and punk stuff, but Quilombo has a very good selection if you read French. Quilombo has a website at www.librairie-quilombo.org, and should be open every day except Sundays and Mondays.

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 10:30:18 AM »
I don't know Paris super well but I've been a few times with my wife and kinda got a feel for what we like to do when we're there.

Le Marais is great - loads of nice little shops / cafes etc. This is where we usually stay. You'll find stuff just by wandering around for a few hours. Pompidou is nearby and is definitely worth a look. 5-10 min walk away is Notre Dame. Things get pretty touristy around there but if you're looking for book stores, that's where you'll find Shakespeare and Co..

Keep your eye on what touring exhibitions are on. We saw amazing Keith Haring and Andy Warhol shows at the Museum of Modern Art. Museum of Natural History is a good shout. The two skeleton rooms are nuts. Talking skeletons, the Catacombs are kinda crazy too.

Walk up and over Montmartre - good view of the city from Sacre Coer. You've got the Moulin Rouge at the bottom too. I'm not super familiar with the area but there are definitely a lot of tourist-trap restaurants on the main streets up top so be careful.

Other stuff - Deyrolle is a cool as hell taxidermy shop (go upstairs), P?re Lachaise is the big cemetery where Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde etc. are buried, and the massive flea markets at Clignancourt are amazing too (flea market is a poor description - some stores have marble statues and spiral staircases for sale).

A good resource is the website Messy Nessy Chic. It's totally twee and cheesy but the girl who writes it lives in Paris and often writes about interesting stuff in the city. Eg. 5 Secret Restaurants in Paris. Also cheesy but useful is to get an open-top bus tour near the start of your trip - it gives you a good overview of the city, lets you get the really touristy stuff outta the way, and can help you decide on areas you wanna find some time to visit later.

We usually walk everywhere because it's such a beautiful place to explore but the metro is pretty efficient and offers passes.
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

Stab n Kill

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 05:43:29 AM »
Thanks a ton!
botefdunn- I forgot about Palais de Tokyo.  I think there was an On Video segment with an Emerica demo taking place during Ed's showing at Palais de Tokyo.

Also, great looks Tenter with the linking that blog that covers the 5 Secret Restaurants in Paris.  The wifey said shout outs to you big time.

Does anyone happen to have any personnel favorite restaurants, cafes or delis/grocery stores?  I live in Boston and I'm used to harsh winters.  I hope we can toughen it out and have one picnic outside in the month of January.  Does anyone know if this is do able in Paris?

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 08:35:08 AM »
Shops: Nozbone and Vega near Canal St Martin (while you are here and if you want to eat good mexican for cheap, go to el Nopal it at 5 min walking from Vega)

Eating for cheap around Belleville: look out the street between Belleville m?tro and Pyr?nn?es m?tro, called rue de Belleville, there are plenty of good asian offers (one is specialized in dim sum and soup, and is best value for money you can find)
If you're into spicy chinese food (Sichuan style) go to Deux fois plus de piment, it's not too far from R?publique, I think it's m?tro Saint S?bastien Froissart.

If you don't know what to eat and you are close to st germain you can always go to rue de la huchette, there are tons of restaurants (not the best, not the worst) from all kind of food.

Be careful with montmartre, not really the best place to eat, because it's full of shit for tourists. But while your around there look out for the APC outlet (surplus), I'm sure your lady will appreciate.

Museum: you have to go to Louvre but choose what you want to see before going because it's too big to be visited in one day. My favourite museum is Mus?e d'Orsay (Famous painting museum in an old Train Station). Mus?e Pablo Picasso in le marais, really close to Supreme. The museum of national history is really cool, and there is a cool park too.

Parks: Check Bois de Vincennes, and Buttes chaumont, both are really cool places to take a walk on a sunny winter day.

You can buy a Navigo pass for one month, I don't recall how much is it, must be around 40e, but it's illimited for bus/tram/metro etc...

For Clubs, nightlife in Paris is not what it was, and I think they closed social club (I could be wrong tho). Look out for le Pompon if it's still opened.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal

Stab n Kill

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 02:23:58 PM »
Turtle boy - really good looks bud.  I owe you one man. Do you live in France.  I'm hoping to skate flat ground and a bit of "chill" ledges.  If your ever skating in Paris within January, holler if your trying to skate and I'll grab you a beer for sure.

It's strange that small clubs are really cracking in Paris.  For some reason, in Boston, I've caught wind that there might be these really cool small clubs that play this drugged out. deep dance. I thought I even heard people say they are like the clubs in Manhattan back in the early 90s (the tunnel, limelight, etc) but on a smaller scale.  I guess that is all bull shit though. 

I'll definitely keep an eye out for le Pompon. Thanks again sir!

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 02:38:34 PM »
I'm not living there anymore, and I don't know too much about the current night scene in Paris, but ask the guys of Nozbone or Starcow, and I'm sure they will tell you a couple good info about it.
The thing is most clubs go hard for one year or two, then neighbors complain about it and it closes, and something new opens elsewhere...
There must be some underground shit going on, but I cannot help you on that one, because i'm not too familiar with it.
Have a good trip!

Stab n Kill

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 11:00:07 AM »
Good looks once again sir.  It seems like pals thought the Nozbone or Starcow guys were gentlemen & scholars, so I'll definitely have to ask them whats good "for the mad popping clubs yo!"

TurtleBoy - did you have a favorite spot to get breakfast or coffee?  Also, do any of these Belleville restaurants ring a bell, Hotel du Nord or Les Enfanta Perdus?  I've been saving for this trip, so i can go classy/expensive but it's been hard to tell which restaurants are truly worth it online.

From a previous "going to Paris" post, someone recommended hanging out by the Canal close to the republique metro station to chop it up with the locals over drinks.  I'll probably do so, to get a good feel of the spots that they feel/frequent.
cheers

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 02:56:16 AM »
Good looks once again sir.  It seems like pals thought the Nozbone or Starcow guys were gentlemen & scholars, so I'll definitely have to ask them whats good "for the mad popping clubs yo!"

TurtleBoy - did you have a favorite spot to get breakfast or coffee?  Also, do any of these Belleville restaurants ring a bell, Hotel du Nord or Les Enfanta Perdus?  I've been saving for this trip, so i can go classy/expensive but it's been hard to tell which restaurants are truly worth it online.

From a previous "going to Paris" post, someone recommended hanging out by the Canal close to the republique metro station to chop it up with the locals over drinks.  I'll probably do so, to get a good feel of the spots that they feel/frequent.
cheers

For breakfast try to get some viennoiserie in some boulangerie/patisserie. The offer is big: pain au chocolat, croissant au beurre, croissant aux amandes, pain aux raisins, even some tartelette au citron or framboise. It's what I miss the most about France when I'm away for a long time.

Hotel du Nord and les enfants perdus rings a bell, but there are so much restaurant in paris that it's hard to really only mention a few.

If you want to be sure about the quality of restaurant and you are willing to spend some money you should check the guide Michelin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_Guide

It's a reference guide about the best restaurant around the world. I think you can check it online.
http://travelguide.michelin.com/europe/france/island-france/ville-de-paris/paris/restaurants

They give the best restaurants a score between one and three stars. If the restaurant has one, two or three stars you know it's something really good. Some of these restaurants are not so typicall (like experimental/molecular cuisine for example). As any guide they can make some mistakes, but most of the time they have great advices.

That being said a lot of amazing restaurants don't have a star nor a mention on the guide.

By the way, you don't have to tip if you don't want. And if you tip, the tip is up to you, it's not a percentage kind of thing.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:59:10 AM by Turtle Boy »

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 08:29:49 AM »
Lots of good recommendations here by Turtle Boy.

Montmartre is definitely not all tourists. Actually there is an enormous amount of tourists but they seem to all stay on the exact same path, as if they were on rails. Do it once and then venture in the many side streets you'll be sure to find some good spots.

La Bossue is an excellent place to go brunch on a Sunday in Montmartre (homemade+all you can eat)  (space is limited though so be sure to be there on time or ready to queue)
La petite soeur is a good and not too expensive tapas restaurant/brunch place. Lots of good restaurants in the same street. Pomodoro does great pizza.

Near R?publique Happy Nouille is great (Chinese noodles). There are also many good Bakeries around for a quick snack. I usually go there at noon and have a sandwich.

Close to Belleville le 9b is a pretty cool bar with a cave for music. Depending on who is playing it can get quite fun. La Rotonde (M?tro Stalingrad) is probably the best "small" club around. Also check Bruit des la Passion on Facebook, the always organize sick parties around the city, it ranges from sleaze disco to hard hitting Berghain-type techno depending on who is playing. Le Motel is a fun bar with amateur Dj playing most days and great cocktails. La Machine du Moulin Rouge (underneath Le Moulin Rouge) sometimes has good electronic music too, be sure to check what's on. Pigalle as a whole has a ton of cool sketchy bars/clubs. Le Rex has a good sound system.

There also are thousands of good restaurants and bars in Oberkampf (very close to Belleville). Including the official Blobby hangout (chez Justine, run by skaters).

The Marais is good for shops but rather expensive head to Rue Vieille du Temple for all the APC type stuff. There are lots of good shops in the 11th arrondissement too (including most of the record shops).

Don't bother going too far south of La Seine, except to see monuments.

It's not too cold right now and you should be ok coming from Boston but I'm not too sure about going on picnics at this time of the year as most parks will be a mud-fest.

Also Republique has cool Volcom skate obstacles on it right now and Cladel is a very fun, low key skatepark.

As for exhibitions I really like Le Bal, La Maison Europ?ene de la Photographie (both photo only) and Pompidou. Le Louvre is a must see, if only for the building, the sculptures etc... Take you time, chill, don't try to see everything since it's impossible. Maybe run see Mona Lisa. (I haven't yet in 3 visits...). Mus?e du Quay Branly Jacques Chirac is a great Ethnographic museum in a very nice cool building. It's close to the Eiffel Tower too.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:35:05 AM by tumulishoomaroom »

Stab n Kill

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 01:09:49 PM »
Huge shoutouts to you Turtleboy for the Michelin reference. The site has been really helpful for finding nice and convenient spots close to our AirBnB, as well.

tumulishoomaroom - your the best. I don't think I would have found out about the bar chez Justine on my own, unless I run into some of the Republique  locals.  Good looks with the name of for the little club suggestions too. I owe ya bud.  Holler if your ever in Boston.
The lady and I definitely plan to get off the beaten path of Montmartre. 

Rick Sanchez

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 02:57:13 PM »
Just wanted to bump this thread to ask a question as I'm visiting in late feb with my girl - is it sketchy skating around paris at night time? beyond midnight sort of thing. I'll only be there for 4 days and my girl will want to see sights and shit so i'll probably only get to skate when she's gone to bed ha. Thanks pals

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 05:42:36 AM »
No worries but you're going to freeze

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 05:48:56 AM »
No worries but you're going to freeze
This. As far as I know february is usually the coldest month in Paris.

rolling is good

• Rep: 11
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 09:03:35 AM »
Yeah if you're not going in some suburbs, it's not too risky.
I would not want to skate in a january/february night in Paris though, real cold and slippery.

Any pals living in Paris or around ?
I'll be there 27-30 this month, and I'm looking for old magazines, Transworld/Skateboarders mainly (see my sig).
Let me know if you have some to let go.

noahch

• Rep: 0
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 10:34:59 AM »
been reading up on previous threads on Paris since I'll be there next month (mid-May, 13-20). any tips/tricks for getting around and being there during this time?

will be definitely making an effort to skate Republique and le Dome while I'm there, so if anyone is free I'd love to meet up and skate around/do whatever (my friend who was supposed to visit with me is unable to come now)

also, anyone here been to versailles? Been looking into checking it out since i was unable to visit there the last time I was in Paris, so any pointers on there would be wonderful.

thanks!!

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2023, 11:21:14 PM »
I'll bump this thread as this seems most fitting my question.

1st week September going to visit Paris with my wife. Full tourist mode.

Can't decide which district to pick for our AirBnB. Could you help with pointers judging by our programme? I'm entertained by the idea of booking one of those tiny ~15-20 m2 Paris apartments.

1. Mandatory day visit to Louvre to check out the treasures of old world;
2. Eiffel tower for the check;
3. Evening jazz gig;
4. No shopping, no partying (we're already old farts);
5. Catacombs if we're lucky scoring a ticket;
6. Any other notable museums in Paris to visit? We're into nature, science, technology, photography...

Also can't decide between staying 2 or 3 nights. We're not really city tourists. All our vacation plans revolve around hiking or biking tours out in nature. And now when we visit one of the world capitals, I'm tempted to hang on and explore the wonders of city, but I'm scared to become overwhelmed.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2023, 11:54:46 PM »

Can't decide which district to pick for our AirBnB. Could you help with pointers judging by our programme? I'm entertained by the idea of booking one of those tiny ~15-20 m2 Paris apartments.

3. Evening jazz gig;
6. Any other notable museums in Paris to visit? We're into nature, science, technology, photography...

Also can't decide between staying 2 or 3 nights. We're not really city tourists. All our vacation plans revolve around hiking or biking tours out in nature. And now when we visit one of the world capitals, I'm tempted to hang on and explore the wonders of city, but I'm scared to become overwhelmed.

Others might have more precise advice than mine on the AirBnB spot location but I feel like most anything central that looks decent (on universal/AirBnB standards) will do, gentrification everywhere means you probably have tons of options these days. One thing to possibly be mindful of which might sound funny but I've seen happen before is, the outskirts/suburbs are a pretty long train ride away from central Paris, can easily take an hour just one way/two for round trip and so as to optimize efficiency, definitely do not make the mistake of just briefly looking at a map to eyeball the distances and then think 'this looks close enough'. I mean I've seen people book AirBnB's in Créteil all the while expecting to be 15 mins away from République - don't do that, stay central/downtown.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes (I'm tempted to say, some know the true way of experiencing the catacombs doesn't involve a ticket, but more often than not that also rules out the wife, also I'm joking, absolutely never try that alone)
6. For nature look up Jardin des Plantes/Musée d'Histoire Naturelle, for photography check out Maison Européenne de la Photographie (pretty cosy and small place, shouldn't take long to visit, maybe 60-90 mins, used to be free on certain days of the week/month but that may not be the case anymore), probably should go to Centre Pompidou and Palais de Tokyo (aka. Le Dôme, but inside) for modern/contemporary art.

Three full days sounds cool, you won't run out of things to do/see regardless of your profile and at the same time the city isn't so big and so I don't think you'll feel overwhelmed, especially as a first timer.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 01:03:55 AM »
I am the same travel type as you. I stayed in an AirBnB on the Ile St Louis in 2018.  Middle of the city yet calm, because you are on an island (linked by bridges). Check it out, I can’t find the exact apartment  just now but will look it up later if interested.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2023, 01:20:08 PM »
Le caveau does oubliettes is a nice underground (literally) jazz bar near Notre Dame
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2023, 01:50:03 AM »
Le caveau does oubliettes is a nice underground (literally) jazz bar near Notre Dame

Cheers, noted!

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2023, 09:34:27 AM »
Las du Fallafel in Marais.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2023, 07:43:59 PM »

3. Evening jazz gig;

Make sure the catacombs is open on the day you plan to visit. There's a day of the week they close. The Pablo Picasso museum was pretty cool. They have great public transportation so, wherever you stay, you'll be able to get around. Careful around popular tourist areas. Don't fall for the people trying to collect signatures for "orphans" or whatever they try to tell you. Also, watch out for people trying to "gift" you items. They complement your clothes and trying to start a conversation that leads to them trying to get gift you something then asking for payment. I saw a lot of this during last visit.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 39
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2023, 03:14:14 PM »
You used to be able to prebook for the catacombs on certain days. It’s on the Paris museums site, but it’s all in French. If you end up going, make sure to bring your own headphones.
Pere Lachaise is pretty rad too.
I’ll second the Picasso museum.
The batobus is touristy, but a good river cruise past all the sites. And you can get on and off as many times as you want.
I thought the best view was from the dome at sacre-coeur. It’s a couple € and some stairs. Better than the inside of the church.
Get a crepe from any of the carts you see around. They are delicious.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2023, 07:13:48 PM »
You used to be able to prebook for the catacombs on certain days. It’s on the Paris museums site, but it’s all in French. If you end up going, make sure to bring your own headphones.
Pere Lachaise is pretty rad too.
I’ll second the Picasso museum.
The batobus is touristy, but a good river cruise past all the sites. And you can get on and off as many times as you want.
I thought the best view was from the dome at sacre-coeur. It’s a couple € and some stairs. Better than the inside of the church.
Get a crepe from any of the carts you see around. They are delicious.

Hey, thanks for the tips. I'm planning to go back in January.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2023, 02:58:04 AM »
Flying out next week Wednesday, anticipating the dive in Paris beehive with excitement.