Author Topic: graphic design help  (Read 930 times)

jonny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • Mariano - Switch Backside Tail
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
graphic design help
« on: February 08, 2007, 08:08:46 AM »
hey guys i need your help im in my photoshop class at my school and our assignment is to create a poster in photoshop for an event or city got any ideas or suggestions???

What are you lookin' at? You're all a bunch of fuckin' assholes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers, and say "that's the bad guy." So, what'll that make you? Good? You're not good.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
Re: graphic design help
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 08:11:44 AM »
Mardi Gras is coming up.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 09:39:37 AM »
Mardi Gras would probably be pretty easy too if you don't mind working with busy designs and purple.

Coachella seems like it might be a good one too but there are an awful lot of band names and I personally have a hard time designing with lot's of text elements.

Bill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
  • Back?
    • Divine Clothing & Design avatar image
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 10:13:06 AM »
Just do one for a gig coming up.  Gig posters are super easy to design.

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
do one with like crazy ass fireballs and hot chicks shooting laser guns with a sabertooth tiger on a chain leash
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

Orpheus

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 10:31:18 AM »
how about tampa pro '07?

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 12:38:02 PM »
yah any local  band posters are fun to do, if its like a creative cool band its fun to come up with something that looks good.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 12:42:28 PM »
I'd do Woodstock-lol

Have the 70's show cast, John Lennon, Jerry Garcia, and whatever hippie you can think of.
I do it like that Beatles cover(Sgt. Peppers) All you'd have to do is photoshop their faces and change the name on the drums to woodstock 07'. Throw the group over a tie dyed backdrop or something.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 12:44:18 PM by MAGIK INC GROUPIE »

jonny

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 03:01:23 PM »
Mardi Gras would probably be pretty easy too if you don't mind working with busy designs and purple.

Coachella seems like it might be a good one too but there are an awful lot of band names and I personally have a hard time designing with lot's of text elements.

yeahh sleazy i might end up doing mardi gras or something dealing w/ music i fucking hate working with layers though shit gets on my nerves everytime i get one thing done i always forget to do the second part on a different layer and i always have to go back and started over i hate how you can only undo soo much with photoshop [other then the history]
What are you lookin' at? You're all a bunch of fuckin' assholes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers, and say "that's the bad guy." So, what'll that make you? Good? You're not good.

jonny

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 03:04:28 PM »
yah any local  band posters are fun to do, if its like a creative cool band its fun to come up with something that looks good.

have you ever made one before? got any suggestions??

dave v-house

• Rep: 15
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 03:29:41 PM »
Warewolves shooting lazers from their eyes. :)

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 04:02:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yeahh sleazy i might end up doing mardi gras or something dealing w/ music i fucking hate working with layers though shit gets on my nerves everytime i get one thing done i always forget to do the second part on a different layer and i always have to go back and started over i hate how you can only undo soo much with photoshop [other then the history]
You should make it a practice to use as many layers as possible... at least for any unique item you use. Also, LABEL THEM. One great thing about layers is that if you fuck up one part of the graphic, you'll only have to adjust/redo one small part rather than fix the whole thing. I used Photoshop before it had layers (2.0 if I remember correctly) and the introduction of them almost made me feel like I was cheating.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 04:08:28 PM »
on a side note... designing websites on photoshop rule! you do each page in layer sets and since you're doing it all on one project it helps  a whole bunch. Then when you're done you just make individual projects from what you've made.

Bill

• SLAP Pal
  • Back?
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 05:10:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

With layers, put them into sets so they're easier to group together and they don't fill up the layers window.  And with undo, if you go to preferences, you can change the number of undos to any number you want.  I hated that too at first, but then I set it to 100 so it never bothers me anymore.

As for ideas, check out a few graphic designers sites and gig posters sites to get some ideas, just make sure you don't rip them off.  Post your progress, we'll help critique it.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 05:14:12 PM »
100 undos will bog down your computer buffer speed though. However, there's been hella times when I wished that I had it set  up like that. As long as you're a smart "saver" you shouldn't really have that problem, but yeah it's a definite option.

Bill

• SLAP Pal
  • Back?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 05:16:10 PM »
Its never slowed down my comp at all, well at least I've never noticed it.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 08:13:21 PM »
I've never noticed that either... I use PS on PCs (at home and work) if it means anything. 100 undos on both.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 09:00:33 AM »
why not just use the history pallet?

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 09:16:21 AM »
I do use the history pallette a lot... a whole lot. I never actually use my undo more than one or twice at a time.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 09:23:56 AM »
Its never slowed down my comp at all, well at least I've never noticed it.

Yeah, I guess I'm not really speaking from experience. I just read that in this book I got
so I never set it up that way. It makes sense though cause it's not actually a written save
on a file.

BTW, photoshop pranks rule!!!!!