Author Topic: recommend a dslr?  (Read 523 times)

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
recommend a dslr?
« on: November 15, 2016, 10:28:44 AM »
Ive always been interested in getting a camera, and figured if black friday is coming up maybe i could score one for a couple bucks off. anyone know of one that would be good for someone who has primarily used an iPhone for photography over the last 5 years? I'm taking a digital imaging class next semester and i think it would be a good idea to have some basic knowledge before hand, and I have always been super interested in learning about photography... so i guess if you happen to have any suggestions that would be cool

MintySandwhich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
Re: recommend a dslr?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 10:48:21 AM »
Rebel T3i < 60D < 7D Mark ii

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:54:32 AM »
Well, definitely invest in a lens more so than the body. You can better images with a lens vs the body but of course depending on what you shoot, the body helps with better ISO, burst rate, etc. Then there is the decision getting a crop vs full frame. What is your budget? Are you specific to Canon over Nikon? Nikon has some really good and affordable crop body lenses but it won't transfer over to a full frame. But they have a 35mm and 50mm prime that is solid as well as even a fisheye at 10.5mm but it will run you about $500. Canon will have better video I believe but the entry level stuff is pretty neck and neck. It all lies on the lens line up really.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 12:57:51 PM »
Get a GH4
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 01:01:22 PM »
Fong I think you just scared the shit out of him

Don't sweat this decision too hard, OP. For someone who's starting out a lot of the differences between cameras will just be splitting hairs. You can find a deal you're happy with on any modern entry or mid-level camera and be just fine, but it's best to make sure you're going with a major brand like Canon/Nikon/whatever to make sure you have compatibility with lenses if you end up building up gear and upgrading over time.

You can look for deals on the brand new stuff, but I'd suggest just looking at the used market (keh.com is great). You can get something like a Nikon D300 for peanuts these days, and old as it is, it will take great images and be more camera than you need as a beginner.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 10:40:50 AM »
I had a Canon Rebel t4i, until it was recently stolen from an Enterprise rental car (long story).

It's not a super professional camera, but it does everything you need (I think Canon's up to a t6 now). I got a lot of photos out of it that I'm super proud of.

Like someone said above, the lens is important. Only downfall to me was it only shot about 3 frames per second, so sequences didn't really happen.

I've never actually used it, but I've heard good things about https://www.keh.com/  It's a site for buying and selling used cameras. Might be able to find something fairly nice for a lot less.

Anyone used the 7dM2 yet?