Author Topic: Oh Dill...  (Read 27213 times)

Lurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -9
Re: Oh Dill...
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2016, 09:24:24 PM »
Expand Quote
ISUCK dropped a bin laden graphic the day after 9/11
[close]
Adrian Lopez's Bin Laden deck is a completely different story.

This. The two boards aren't even comparable.

The Zero board goes along with the reaction of most of America had at the time (revenge). It wasn't a controversial image. It was probably just Thomas/Lopez hoping to express anger and patriotism in skateboard form.

As for Dill, I doubt he is making any sort of comment with a deeper meaning. I'd bet he is just creating an image that he knows will offend others. Its possible offensiveness is its only meaning. It reminds me of the motorcycle gangs in England in the late 1950's. The bikers wore Nazi stuff, not because they understood or cared about WWII, but by wearing that garbage, they were upsetting others. No politics, no ideology, no values, just a desire to offend, which made it "cool."

My guess is that Dill knows that this board will provoke a reaction and based on someone's reaction he (and his fans) can draw a line between those "who get it" and those "who don't get it."

Or maybe Dill is trying to say something. Maybe there is some real meaning in this that we can't see. Has anyone asked him, "What were you going for with this board?" No one has seen him smoking in front of Supreme lately?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 09:38:53 PM by Lurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"that guy is double parked."
"Who cares? there are people starving to death! besides, how does that affect you? does it lessen the joy of parking?

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2016, 02:35:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The Zero board goes along with the reaction of most of America had at the time (revenge). It wasn't a controversial image. It was probably just Thomas/Lopez hoping to express anger and patriotism in skateboard form.

As for Dill, I doubt he is making any sort of comment with a deeper meaning. I'd bet he is just creating an image that he knows will offend others. Its possible offensiveness is its only meaning. It reminds me of the motorcycle gangs in England in the late 1950's. The bikers wore Nazi stuff, not because they understood or cared about WWII, but by wearing that garbage, they were upsetting others. No politics, no ideology, no values, just a desire to offend, which made it "cool."

My guess is that Dill knows that this board will provoke a reaction and based on someone's reaction he (and his fans) can draw a line between those "who get it" and those "who don't get it."

Or maybe Dill is trying to say something. Maybe there is some real meaning in this that we can't see. Has anyone asked him, "What were you going for with this board?" No one has seen him smoking in front of Supreme lately?

You skated in 1950's England?

Lurper

• Rep: -9
« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2016, 03:40:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

What? No, I wasn't rolling around in 1950's England, but I'd be pretty stoked if there was a 70-ish year old British dude posting on SLAP.

Check out the old BBC documentary "What?s The Truth About Hell's Angels and Skinheads." The leader of the biker gang name's himself "Hitler" just to fuck with the older generation of Brits who obviously had pretty strong reactions to this.

Note: My first post mentioned the 1950's, I meant to say the 1960's.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"that guy is double parked."
"Who cares? there are people starving to death! besides, how does that affect you? does it lessen the joy of parking?

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #153 on: December 24, 2016, 08:52:35 PM »
you skated in 1960s england?
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #154 on: December 25, 2016, 04:33:01 AM »
you skated in 1960s england?

no lureper" is a fat poser wanker is all

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #155 on: December 25, 2016, 04:38:50 AM »
the deck is sick. would definitely buy if i saw it at my local shop

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2016, 12:04:30 PM »

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2016, 12:27:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Isn't it 70s England.  I remember Strummer and the Clash were trying to keep punk from being coopted by the nazis the way they stole skinheads name and style from the two tone kids.  (By remember I mean I watched This Is England)

Also, the Bin Ladin deck added to a whole series they had running with portraits of killers.  I only remember Manson

glutton.

« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2016, 04:36:57 PM »
It could be for shock value or nostalgia, just because I don't know him personally. For me, it's nostalgic, because him and a couple AWS/Habitat dudes were trying to skate ledges by the Trade Center, according to Tim O'Connor's commentary in Mosaic (I think), when it went down. At least, it's not a shirt.

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2016, 12:11:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

hahahaha i love this
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2016, 06:18:20 AM »
9/11 happened at 8:45am on a Tuesday morning -- seems like a rather unlikely time for anyone to be skating in downtown Manhattan especially a notorious layabout like Dill.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2016, 06:24:18 AM »
dill knew it was an inside job, he got up early that day.