Author Topic: Oh Dill...  (Read 27452 times)

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: Oh Dill...
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2016, 10:43:27 AM »
How is this any different from an episode of South Park or  something when they joke about horrible things within the year of them happening yet we all laugh and think its breaking taboos but everyone gets pissy over this and this isn't making a joke, its just two images.
That was the point I was making by saying "it's been long enough". Marty McFly getting his knickers in a twist acting like Dill had something to do with 9/11 or is disrespecting people's losses then Internet threatening to punch Dill plays into the marketing brilliantly. Sorry for you loss McFly but if this gets you so bothered I think you should seek counselling.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2016, 11:00:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Dill giving hypebeast the new line preview.

Every day, his "upriver" bullshit comments become even funnier.

Kalis chills in the real street plazas skating with all the regular kids with no pretension whatsoever, while Dill sends hypebeast previews and members of his "team" pose for Vogue with worthless socialites.
[close]

True with his upriver comments but I highly doubt dill is sending information to hypebeast. Hype beast is like the ride channel for street wear. They just needed a post.

Almost all of their "news" is from press releases. They know nothing about skateboarding. Maybe Dill does not send them stuff, but someone from their camp does.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2016, 11:02:09 AM »
101 challenger accident = subversive classic from when graphics pushed the envelope
Jason dill = insensitive pox on humanity

shone237

« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »
there is no controversy here. this is a case of a person showing the world just how self centered he can be. This is not a parody or even a political statement. it is just an asshole posing in front of people dying and now selling that image for profit. If you want to compare this to something?- How would you feel if it was 2 images, one of jay adams famous carve and one of dill posing in front of jays house with an ambulance out front and his family crying in the background. Now is it tasteless?

stabbedbywiggers

« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »

dickhairs wayyyy past the shaft
Yeah, also thats stim dick if Ive ever seen it. Or dill just has a really small peen. God damn I pray thats stim dick.

But about this dick, I mean deck, yall sound like pussies. Hes just standing there, it happened. Its not like it holographs to him in some isis gear. Some of yall trippin. FA/61 is supposed to be edgy, and its actually getting to some of you grown men. hehe

Sorry about homies dad, but shit, wished my dad was there instead, guys a asshole.

hartpijn

• Rep: -3
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2016, 01:59:32 PM »
Expand Quote

dickhairs wayyyy past the shaft
[close]
Yeah, also thats stim dick if Ive ever seen it. Or dill just has a really small peen. God damn I pray thats stim dick.

But about this dick, I mean deck, yall sound like pussies. Hes just standing there, it happened. Its not like it holographs to him in some isis gear. Some of yall trippin. FA/61 is supposed to be edgy, and its actually getting to some of you grown men. hehe

Sorry about homies dad, but shit, wished my dad was there instead, guys a asshole.
Let's not refer to FA as 61.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2016, 02:23:04 PM »
"Skateboarding is becoming too mainstream and lame. Everyone is wearing Thrasher shirts. Such bullshit!"

"This graphic is extremely insensitive and in bad taste. I am deeply offended by this shocking deck!"

What a bunch of sensitive kooks. I guess it's time to call the PC Police.

7 year old

« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2016, 03:12:09 PM »
ignoring the stupid moral discussion this is shitty art and anyone impressed by it is probably regular.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
it's like one of those hologram cards you get from some packs, and it's that one shitty one in the pack your not really stoked on but you keep getting them so you always toss it out, that's what this graphic reminds me of,  that one shitty card blown up and glued onto a board.

Rick Sanchez

« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2016, 03:29:24 PM »
it's like one of those hologram cards you get from some packs, and it's that one shitty one in the pack your not really stoked on but you keep getting them so you always toss it out, that's what this graphic reminds me of,  that one shitty card blown up and glued onto a board.

ouch

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2016, 03:49:52 PM »
Just don't do flip tricks and it's a touching tribute

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2016, 04:20:56 PM »

Expand Quote

it's a gimmick, in the way that putting neat pictures and words on the bottom of your skateboard so people will buy it is a gimmick.

it is not a gimmick, in that it's a genuine representation of this person's (Dill) esthetic and artistic sensibilities.

Sure it's kind of trashy, but we're not in wet willy territory here
[close]

Not to be combative, but I think using tragedy as an opportunity to make one's self look interesting and hip while simultaneously making money off said tragedy/personality marketing campaign is WAY more trashy than some sad cartoon graphic meant to appeal to seven year olds at Walmart.

I was referring to Dill's artistic sense as being trashier/more disposable in nature than McKee's: underexposed selfie vs. skillfully drawn and coloured illustration.
The comparison I was trying to make, was about marketing. Wet Willy seemed clearly to be the result of trying to sell boards to as many kids as possible, regardless of whether they skated. With this Dill graphic, of course he hopes it sells, but it seems in line with FA overall artistic direction, rather than being a market-researched grab at mainstream success. I just don't think any focus group would tell you that kids are wanting this in their stockings. Impeccable fuschnikens reference btw

This graphic really bothered me. The way everyone is co-signing this is equally bumming me out.
The picture is heavy, no doubt. But to market it for sale is something else completely.

I understand the reasoning that if something moves you negatively then it's eliciting a response and that's better than being boring, or having no response etc etc; but that's often a fucking cop out.

I back their prerogative to do whatever they want artistically, but still think it's a shit move.

true. But I don't think it is in this case. Some healthy, young, white hipster getting a profile pic in front of the burning towers is a powerful and evocative image, a sign of the times and pretty prophetic. It's like a .gif of Nero (another famous egomaniac) playing the fiddle while Rome burns. That would be some serious viral gold, it'd be autotuned and everything.

I sympathize for real with 911 survivors, friends and family

I sympathize with this girl too, trying to survive in an Afghani refugee camp with 3 more decades of destruction coming her way.
American Photo magazine says the image has an "unusual combination of grittiness and glamour" (Wikipedia).
I think they are referring to the way the shadows make it hard to tell if she has dirt on her face, and the paradox created by the rich texture of her torn clothing.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2016, 04:52:21 PM »
If it was 8.25 and free I'd skate it, I guess you get used to the plastic slick forever graphic piece.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2016, 06:07:12 PM »
Random question: When was the last time there was a conversation about Dill that was about his skating? Dude seems to have substituted "edginess"for skating to keep his name in people's mouths.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2016, 07:56:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dill giving hypebeast the new line preview.

Every day, his "upriver" bullshit comments become even funnier.

Kalis chills in the real street plazas skating with all the regular kids with no pretension whatsoever, while Dill sends hypebeast previews and members of his "team" pose for Vogue with worthless socialites.
[close]

True with his upriver comments but I highly doubt dill is sending information to hypebeast. Hype beast is like the ride channel for street wear. They just needed a post.
[close]

Almost all of their "news" is from press releases. They know nothing about skateboarding. Maybe Dill does not send them stuff, but someone from their camp does.

Did you click on their link? They literally made a story out of a instagram post. No one is sending hypebeast anything

Mcfctid

« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2016, 08:29:45 PM »
Any idea on the song used in strobeck's ig post?

oldgoodburger

« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2016, 08:45:15 PM »
s/o steve mccurry

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2016, 09:00:11 PM »

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2016, 09:31:46 PM »
Yeah cool let's just use shit we think is cool that really happened to be edgy. The fact my dad actually died during that tragic event you think is so cool will get me to buy it. FA can fuck off.

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2016, 09:56:20 PM »
Expand Quote
way to many knee high socks.
[close]

Fuck's wrong with knee high socks my dude?

Can't imagine skating in shorts and not wearing over-the-calf socks. Makes me feel invincible.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2016, 04:28:46 AM »
In dills 'defence'; a little diptych of maybe a why and how:

>be photographer
>be with famous Jason Dill
>photographing Dill whole day
>9/11 happens
>snap a picture of famous Jason Dill in what looks to be history
>be stoked
>be bummed

15 YEARS LATER

>be dill
>run a 'controversial' skate company
>its september
>need ideas for new 'controversial' drop
>think outside box
>holograms would be nice
>fuck now i need two graphics to think of
>be uninspired as fuck
>9/11, pictures of twintowers rememberance everywhere
>hey, there was a 'cool' and 'controversial' photo of me in front of twintower burning
>search for photo
>google image twin towers
>stoked as fuck
>develop concept
>this will sell
>god im cool AND controversial

EARL***THE***PEARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -111
  • MR.MADN3SSS LOVES YOU... NT MM
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2016, 05:34:49 AM »
In dills 'defence'; a little diptych of maybe a why and how:

>be photographer
>be with famous Jason Dill
>photographing Dill whole day
>9/11 happens
>snap a picture of famous Jason Dill in what looks to be history
>be stoked
>be bummed

15 YEARS LATER

>be dill
>run a 'controversial' skate company
>its september
>need ideas for new 'controversial' drop
>think outside box
>holograms would be nice
>fuck now i need two graphics to think of
>be uninspired as fuck
>9/11, pictures of twintowers rememberance everywhere
>hey, there was a 'cool' and 'controversial' photo of me in front of twintower burning
>search for photo
>google image twin towers
>stoked as fuck
>develop concept
>this will sell
>god im cool AND controversial

LOL

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3384
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2016, 08:32:45 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

it's a gimmick, in the way that putting neat pictures and words on the bottom of your skateboard so people will buy it is a gimmick.

it is not a gimmick, in that it's a genuine representation of this person's (Dill) esthetic and artistic sensibilities.

[close]

Not to be combative, but I think using tragedy as an opportunity to make one's self look interesting and hip while simultaneously making money off said tragedy/personality marketing campaign is WAY more trashy than some sad cartoon graphic meant to appeal to seven year olds at Walmart.
[close]

I was referring to Dill's artistic sense as being trashier/more disposable in nature than McKee's: underexposed selfie vs. skillfully drawn and coloured illustration.
The comparison I was trying to make, was about marketing. Wet Willy seemed clearly to be the result of trying to sell boards to as many kids as possible, regardless of whether they skated. With this Dill graphic, of course he hopes it sells, but it seems in line with FA overall artistic direction, rather than being a market-researched grab at mainstream success. I just don't think any focus group would tell you that kids are wanting this in their stockings. Impeccable fuschnikens reference btw

That makes sense. Thanks for not being offended at my response botefdunn. Definitely wasn't trying to come for you. Now I am though...to give you a HUGE CHRISTMAS HUG!!!

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2016, 11:53:35 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That makes sense. Thanks for not being offended at my response botefdunn. Definitely wasn't trying to come for you. Now I am though...to give you a HUGE CHRISTMAS HUG!!!

you're Slap soty every year in my book gay, don't even know how you walk that line, but you look good doing it. Merry christmas to you too!!

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2016, 03:38:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

you're Slap soty every year in my book gay, don't even know how you walk that line, but you look good doing it. Merry christmas to you too!!

Starting my day singing/dancing this in the mirror is one of my tricks:
Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy (Original Mix - 2006 Version)

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2016, 03:53:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Can't imagine skating in shorts and not wearing over-the-calf socks. Makes me feel invincible.

I completely take back the knee high socks thing, was a stupid (and i was quite drunk at the time) thing to say consider always wear over the calf socks since i wear an ankle brace.

Mcfctid

« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2016, 05:25:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thank you

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2016, 05:28:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I completely take back the knee high socks thing, was a stupid (and i was quite drunk at the time) thing to say consider always wear over the calf socks since i wear an ankle brace.
That's no excuse. How dare you, sir.

actuality

• Rep: -3
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »

GAY

• SLAP Pal