Author Topic: quiver thread.....aka unnecessary set up thread....  (Read 27530 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: quiver thread.....aka unnecessary set up thread....
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2020, 07:19:39 PM »
I just keep em in my trunk and hand them out if I see someone with a beat board...plus I try to do a full set up build once a year to give away to someone who wants to try skating.  I guess I skate parks a lot so I see a lot of kids.   Every now and then I catch myself....'you grip your board just like ME!'

Wait...that's my board.  It's selfish but nice...a lot of kids remember me for it and I think they're going to a decent home. 

I live super close to a local park and would donate to groms all the time, even hold mini contests for gear for games of skate...I'd do it at Venice but kids over there don't need the boards like the ones at the other park.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2020, 07:36:49 PM »
Expand Quote
wish there was a better deck-share system or maybe an easier way to ship those barely used decks. wouldn't mind trying more dimensions sizes and varieties of concave/fingers of flat/ etc
[close]
I use to do a lending library for used decks in each town I lived in from Petaluma California, Denver Colorado, to Lantana Florida.

It was similar to a bike collective but with board's,  come set-up a decent board for your kid's or yourself it was funded by myself and only thing it would have cost was $5  or donate whatever old part's your not using.  I called it boards not bomb's but it's been phased out because some rich kid's thought they could Snake my bag of gear. I shut that down afterwards.

Bless you man, I would do that at my local but I don't drive anymore so carrying a stack of boards to the park while riding the bus would kill me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2020, 07:42:35 PM »
wish there was a better deck-share system or maybe an easier way to ship those barely used decks. wouldn't mind trying more dimensions sizes and varieties of concave/fingers of flat/ etc

Just have to make it local, Facebook group or the 'next door' type apps...shipping is the killer or we'd all be swapping shit out.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2020, 08:56:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I use to do a lending library for used decks in each town I lived in from Petaluma California, Denver Colorado, to Lantana Florida.

It was similar to a bike collective but with board's,  come set-up a decent board for your kid's or yourself it was funded by myself and only thing it would have cost was $5  or donate whatever old part's your not using.  I called it boards not bomb's but it's been phased out because some rich kid's thought they could Snake my bag of gear. I shut that down afterwards.
[close]

Bless you man, I would do that at my local but I don't drive anymore so carrying a stack of boards to the park while riding the bus would kill me.
Yeah I did it at my local park and few other places, outside my area with a bike and kiddie hauler with shit loads of gear here but other place’s I’d post on MySpace or word of flyers and shit.

It’s rewarding for what it’s worth buttttttt I have been accused by a Karen once before and that incident I mentioned beforehand. I believe good deeds are the path of selflessness and reciprocate your investments in other’s.
Dueces Bitch's

handsclapanin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2020, 08:10:40 AM »
J Soy, I remember when you first made this thread. Back then I had 1 setup and a zip zinger.
What a difference 3.5 years makes.
I'm now a full blown quiver man.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2020, 09:53:34 AM »
Expand Quote

L-R:
1)Villani 9.125/Thunder 151 team hollows/52mm f4 99a Conical full/G3s
2)Villani 9.125/Ace 55s/52mm ricta clouds 92a/G3s
3)Orange crusher 9.125/Indy 169s/54mm ricta clouds 78a/FKDs
4)Blank 8.3/Indy 149 hollows/52mm 99a f4 conical/Reds
5)Real heavyweights 8.38/Thunder Tits 149s/Slimeball 52mm 97a/Reds
6)Black widow 8.5/Ace 44s/52mm 99a ricta sparx
[close]
how are those villanis? thinking about get one for a future magic carpet setup with 8.5 axles. kicks and concave?

Kinda medium kicks n concave on the villani..

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2020, 02:58:47 PM »
J Soy, I remember when you first made this thread. Back then I had 1 setup and a zip zinger.

That’s quite an impressive quiver of board’s.
Dueces Bitch's

Glurmpz

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2020, 10:38:05 PM »
I have a bunch of completes I don't skate in my collection, but that's kind of different, so here's my cruiser, my current set up, and the next one I'll be skating. Most likely going back to Thunders after one set up trying Indy for the first time since 2000. Not really feeling them.

Toy Machine Templeton Cat ND remake
Destructos that actually aren't half bad.
OJ Juice 55's
Original NMB bearings

Birdhouse Raybourn 8.3(custom graphic job)
Indy 149 hollow forged
Bones 100's V5 52mm
Swiss

Jenny Bradley 8.25
Thunder 149 standard
Bones STF 103a V5 52mm
Swiss

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2020, 07:32:21 AM »

I have no good reason to have this many boards put together, but here we are.

Real Mason Silva 8.38
Thunder Hollow 148's
Spitfire Leo Baker 53mm

Toy Machine Lutheran 8.38
Venture 5.6
Spitfire F4 Classics 54mm worn down a bit

AntiHero Grant Taylor 8.38
Indy 144 Hollow
Spitfire F4 Conical 52mm

Quasi Jake Johnson 8.25
Indy 144 Hollow
Spitfire F4 Classic 52mm

I think right now I like the Quasi the best, but that Toy Machine is a treat.

Roald Dahnkle

• Rep: 28
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2020, 07:49:17 AM »
I had no idea there were even people out there with more the 2 set ups.

Hats off to all of you, I barely have time to skate 1 board :(

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2020, 07:53:33 AM »

Left to right

1-the tranny and slappy machine
   Powell Flight 9.125? Pool Shape
   Powell rails
   Indy 169
   Bones 56mm
   Reds

2- My ‘Learn BS Bigspins’ setup
    Powell Flight 8.75
    Indy Titanium 159s
    Bones medium bushings
    Bones 56mm
    Reds

3- Cruiser/Skappy/Boneless stick
    Black Label Auby Taylor 10
    Indy 169s
    Bones Mediums bushings
    Ratbones (got on warranty)

4-Best cruiser ever, best concave, but got cheap because of a gnarly warp.
     Earthwing 10x35?
     Bear Trucks
     Powell G-Slides?
     Reds

5- Downhill set-up, this thing scares me sometimes.
    Landyachtz Hollowtech Wolfshark   
factory second
     Bear Trucks
     Hawgs Wheels

6- Mr Wiggler, a Polarizer-inspired board
    Cut-down Powell Flight (great flex)
    Scavenged penny board trucks
    Bones Rough Riders (best grip and speed)
    Bronson bearings?

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2020, 07:53:16 AM »

Only at 3 at the moment but there will be more.. for now heres what i got
Left to right

Daily board- 8.25" Swan Common deck with Ace 44 and 54mm spitfire F4 99As with big ball reds

90s set up- 8.75" Polar Dane Brady Egg with 5.6 venture forged hollows, 44mm Boardy Cakes Fat bundts, and reds

Film board- 9" hand me down Weird Wood shaped deck with older Ace 55s, and Sml. coffee cruisers (started at 54, probably closer to 52 now) I think i have a bunch of different types of bearing in there but probably mostly made up of reds and bronson

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2020, 10:29:17 AM »

Left to right

Daily board- 8.25" Swan Common deck with Ace 44 and 54mm spitfire F4 99As with big ball reds

90s set up- 8.75" Polar Dane Brady Egg with 5.6 venture forged hollows, 44mm Boardy Cakes Fat bundts, and reds

Film board- 9" hand me down Weird Wood shaped deck with older Ace 55s, and Sml. coffee cruisers (started at 54, probably closer to 52 now) I think i have a bunch of different types of bearing in there but probably mostly made up of reds and bronson

swan common! dope. clutch wood right? V shape or? I want to try the 8.8, have the civil 9" on clutch V10 now.  Awesome trio of boards there.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2020, 10:39:31 AM »
Expand Quote

Left to right

[close]
swan common! dope. clutch wood right? V shape or? I want to try the 8.8, have the civil 9" on clutch V10 now.  Awesome trio of boards there.

Thanks player! I think they are going through clutch now, Im not really sure on the shape. They actually just switched woodshops, they were using control until this latest run. I love the new shapes though so fun to ride, really nice kicks and all of that. Civil usually has them nicely stocked up I really recommend trying one out. The 2001 space odyssey graphic is really cool too, I have one of those on ice for when this deck is toast.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2020, 11:13:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This picture makes me happy when I am sad. I want to skate them all. Especially the siamese.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2020, 03:08:05 PM »

My current love of my lifes.. All freshies pretty much due to a hectic work schedule  :(

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2020, 03:27:34 PM »
venture, indys, and thunders :o
does that not fuck with you?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2020, 03:40:15 PM »
venture, indys, and thunders :o
does that not fuck with you?
No sir. Probably because the shape/size difference 8.25, 9, 9.5. If they were all the same size popsicle, I'm sure it would be a disaster.
But after only skating Ventures for a very very long time, I really enjoy the indys and especially the thunders.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2020, 04:28:56 PM »

My current love of my lifes.. All freshies pretty much due to a hectic work schedule  :(

These are sick. That being said, I don't know how some of you deal. I have 2 setups at the moment and it's painful and madness-inducing for me. One is a popsicle and the other is shaped and it makes me feel like I am having an identity crisis (even though I do the same shitty tricks on both).

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2020, 06:11:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

These are sick. That being said, I don't know how some of you deal. I have 2 setups at the moment and it's painful and madness-inducing for me. One is a popsicle and the other is shaped and it makes me feel like I am having an identity crisis (even though I do the same shitty tricks on both).

Thanks man, I completely understand the identity crisis part and the same shitty tricks too. Shaped decks are fine for the majority of my skating, but the twin tail thing was very tempting so I had to keep a popsicle in the lineup too. I have come to realize that it's become a matter of energy level for me. If I don't have a lot of gas in the tank and have the time to skate, I will grab a popsicle because they flip with less effort. And if my legs feel good I skate the big boards because they are so much fun. For me there is no better feeling than catching a clean fliptrick on a fat board.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2020, 07:58:52 PM »
I'm old and the arthritis is off the hook so I don't skate that often any more, so every setup I have is kind of unnecessary tbh. I don't have any pictures of my boards all together but I always snap some pics of my setups fresh before they get all chipped and scratched. Powell Rib Bones, generic hardware, Spit bearings and black Mob grip on all of em

SC Winkowski Train Deck, 10.34" x 30.54", 15" wheelbase
Indy Trucks, raw silver 8.75", stock bushings, 1/8" risers
Spit Formula Four Lance Pool Service Wheels in natural/blue, 56mm 99d

18 Brown Bomber Eagle Deck, 8.86" x 31.75", 14.25" wheelbase
Indy Trucks, raw silver 8.5", stock bushings
Spit OG Classic Wheels in white, 54mm 99d

Welcome Seahorse II on Golem Deck, 9.25" x 32.6", 14.5" wheelbase
Indy Trucks, raw silver 8.75", stock bushings, 1/8" risers
Spit Toxic Shrooms Wheels in orange/blue, 55mm 99d

Creature Partanen Apparitions Deck, 8.8 x 32.39, 15" wheelbase
Indy Trucks, raw silver 8.5", stock bushings
Spit Bighead Wheels in purple/teal, 54mm 99d

The Santa Cruz and Creature setups are for transition and the Anti and Welcome boards are my street pieces. Big boards all day

Frank and Fred

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2020, 10:17:00 PM »
Covid Consumer Therapy. Skate more. PayPal Less.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2020, 10:25:48 PM »
Respect....I recoginze how fun it is just to build up a board and tinker with them...

If you're shredding, those nuances between skating a set of indys versus thunders or whatever can make a difference and if you're just doing the same tricks....why not do them on different boards? 

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2020, 06:13:12 AM »
Covid Consumer Therapy. Skate more. PayPal Less.

That Cardiel. I have one (unskated) left and then a Control-pressed version of the same shape. I will fuck around with other shapes but go back to that board (with Ace 55s) constantly. My current one is getting a little razored and is a year old but I am still running it. I've been having trouble finding them and emailed DLX, and whoever I spoke with said they're out of stock but not discontinued so that gives me some hope.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2020, 08:39:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
This picture makes me happy when I am sad. I want to skate them all. Especially the siamese.
Prepare to get even happier  ;D
Just brought 2 newborns home. My quiver grows.
See the 9" thread. I decided to put together this Dane1 shop board.

Normally 1 new complete at a time is plenty. But this would have given me 13 completes total. An unlucky number. And I'm too weird about numbers to let that slide. I considered taking apart one of my little cruisers. That way my total would still be 12. But I really don't want to do that. So I decided to just put together 2 new boards and bring the total to 14.
Now it was just a matter of deciding what to do for a 14th setup.

I decided on a rail set up. I took my rails off a New Deal board back in '91 or so. I remember it well. My buddy Greg who ripped had the Vallely barnyard and clued me in as to the advantages. I took them off right then and there and haven't had a set since. But I'm old now and it might be fun on curbs. I've had this Krooked Sebo board sitting around for a couple years. I bought it online cheap and didn't realize it was a full shape with a 14.625 wheelbase. Too long for my tastes. But I figured it should be fine for this. And that way I'm not wasting too much money. Not that I need any justification besides the fact that its fun; but one of the ways I justify this quiver to myself is if they all have different trucks (brands, size). I've got 66s on my Gonz. But no 44s in the quiver. I figured they would be good for this long wheelbase.
Impressions after a couple sessions: I remember why I took my rails off. First off, only 3 of the 10 screws actually sunk into the rail. The remaining 7 were all popping up. So I had to go to the hardware store to get a little longer with smaller head screw to actually fit. Pig rails. They make the pop feel so dull and board is extra heavy. And not only is it heavier, they mess with the whole weight distribution by adding weight to the middle of the board. Starting to rattle already. But they do slide. I've got some spots in mind that this thing might work for. I tried this board in the pool at the park and did not like it. The trucks felt way too skinny. And its so funny looking. Really looks like a toy to me with all the colors, rails, risers, skinny looking trucks and big wheels (56 classic F4).
I also recently bought some 55s. So once I find the right board for those, the quiver will increase again.
Welcome to the family:

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2020, 03:17:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
Prepare to get even happier  ;D
Just brought 2 newborns home. My quiver grows.
See the 9" thread. I decided to put together this Dane1 shop board.

Normally 1 new complete at a time is plenty. But this would have given me 13 completes total. An unlucky number. And I'm too weird about numbers to let that slide. I considered taking apart one of my little cruisers. That way my total would still be 12. But I really don't want to do that. So I decided to just put together 2 new boards and bring the total to 14.
Now it was just a matter of deciding what to do for a 14th setup.

I decided on a rail set up. I took my rails off a New Deal board back in '91 or so. I remember it well. My buddy Greg who ripped had the Vallely barnyard and clued me in as to the advantages. I took them off right then and there and haven't had a set since. But I'm old now and it might be fun on curbs. I've had this Krooked Sebo board sitting around for a couple years. I bought it online cheap and didn't realize it was a full shape with a 14.625 wheelbase. Too long for my tastes. But I figured it should be fine for this. And that way I'm not wasting too much money. Not that I need any justification besides the fact that its fun; but one of the ways I justify this quiver to myself is if they all have different trucks (brands, size). I've got 66s on my Gonz. But no 44s in the quiver. I figured they would be good for this long wheelbase.
Impressions after a couple sessions: I remember why I took my rails off. First off, only 3 of the 10 screws actually sunk into the rail. The remaining 7 were all popping up. So I had to go to the hardware store to get a little longer with smaller head screw to actually fit. Pig rails. They make the pop feel so dull and board is extra heavy. And not only is it heavier, they mess with the whole weight distribution by adding weight to the middle of the board. Starting to rattle already. But they do slide. I've got some spots in mind that this thing might work for. I tried this board in the pool at the park and did not like it. The trucks felt way too skinny. And its so funny looking. Really looks like a toy to me with all the colors, rails, risers, skinny looking trucks and big wheels (56 classic F4).
I also recently bought some 55s. So once I find the right board for those, the quiver will increase again.
Welcome to the family:

Wow it just keeps getting better! Amazing selection man.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2020, 08:27:15 PM »

my indoor workshop happy place
(my outdoor happy place is riding these)
Top to bottom:
Cliver/Paisley wall hanger
Shelf, left to right: not sure how old Spitfires, Indy stage VII, V, I, and orig Slimeball Big Balls
Cut down Antihero cruiser, Trackers, Penny wheels
Lotti reissue, Indy VII, A1 meats
Antihero 8.6, Indy forged hollow 159, Keyframes
Welcome, Thunder team hollows, Ricta cloud 92
Barbee, Indy V, all original
Ron Allen no scratch, Indy VI, Slimeballs, all original
Toy Machine cruiser, Indy 109s, Dog Town cruiser wheels
Blank 7.75, old Venture 5.0, Mini Logo C cut 90a
Old ass Zoo York 7.5, Grind Kings, 20 yr old Spitfires.

On the floor:
Gonz reissue, Indy V, orig Cross Bones (it's sitting on top of a setup from the 70s)
Handcut polarizer, Sure Grips, Rough Riders
2 blanks, sprayed white, both with Indys and Spitfires

Off to the left:
Assortment of my OLD decks and wooden Burton snowboard (that board by the burton w/ green printing was my dads from the early 60s, metal wheels)
Also the quasi 'i survived school today', and several other wall hangers (not yet hung)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2020, 06:26:18 AM »
^ This is me looking at those old Indys on the shelf:

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2020, 09:00:21 AM »
I want to be like you when I grow up @hillbilly shifty
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2020, 10:46:30 AM »
@ok boomer
Ha Ha! I got those stage 1s at a bargain from ebay. Somebody was cleaning out their garage and selling an old trashed board along with other junk. Knew they were old from the photo, but was very surprised when it arrived to find they had the solid baseplate w/ sealed in kingpin.

@mynameisnotjeff
Thanks! Was always called out for being a pack rat, but glad i've saved stuff over the years. That burton was kept in my parent's basement for years, the bindings dry rotted, but the board is in pretty good shape.