Author Topic: yes ive gone there...shockpads/risers help  (Read 9522 times)

MOE SYZLAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
Re: yes ive gone there...shockpads/risers help
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »
Why do you want riser pads? More pop? I've skated for over ten years now and I still don't know the purpose of them haha and also if anyone wants to fill me in on the purpose of washers that'd be cool too lol

On looser trucks with bigger wheels they help with wheel bite. I ride high trucks with risers and 53mm just because I fucking hate wheelbite.
The Pop argument is debatable

Opoin

• Rep: 1
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »
Why do you want riser pads? More pop? I've skated for over ten years now and I still don't know the purpose of them haha and also if anyone wants to fill me in on the purpose of washers that'd be cool too lol

Washers for bearings is so they don't blow out as quickly due to all the force being put on them as the wheels jiggle back and forth from turning/poping and whatnot.  Washers for bushings are so that the metal of your truck doesn't stab into them and rip them apart.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:57:47 PM by Opoin »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 08:21:43 PM »
I understand that, that's why I ride bones stf's

If you actually ride them you'll notice they have this soft feel, I've tried spit classics, f4's, oj, ricta, gold, and pig and none were as quality as bones years of experience in wheel making.

Those are all hard wheels though. If you want a smooth and silent ride get some OJs Keyframes. Those fuckers roll over anything and fast. Absolutely brilliant on the rough streets here in Finland at least. They're grippy as fuck though, so sliding will likely be an issue.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2017, 06:04:13 PM »
Yes, Bones STF's are definitely not soft wheels rob. They're the hardest wheels bones has to offer and pretty much the hardest ones on the market. OJ Keyframes or Spitfire Soft D's if you want a soft wheel.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 10:42:32 PM »
SPF's are actually harder but the stickiness makes the wheels feel softer....

Bones has that new formula which is soft but slides....might be worth a try...

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 12:07:36 AM »
Expand Quote

If you actually ride them you'll notice they have this soft feel, I've tried spit classics, f4's, oj, ricta, gold, and pig and none were as quality as bones years of experience in wheel making.

[close]

Those are all hard wheels though. If you want a smooth and silent ride get some OJs Keyframes. Those fuckers roll over anything and fast. Absolutely brilliant on the rough streets here in Finland at least. They're grippy as fuck though, so sliding will likely be an issue.

i have been eye balling them on tactics and seeing the reviews got me considering, and now that you tell me this i do wanna get a set but i need some slide ability in there

Yes, Bones STF's are definitely not soft wheels rob. They're the hardest wheels bones has to offer and pretty much the hardest ones on the market. OJ Keyframes or Spitfire Soft D's if you want a soft wheel.

yeah ever since re trying a set of classics and noticing how slick they are i was upset and sadly threw those brand new wheels to the box but i have been thinking maybe soft Dś are what im looking for in a spitfire

SPF's are actually harder but the stickiness makes the wheels feel softer....

Bones has that new formula which is soft but slides....might be worth a try...

ahaha yeah i think the stickiness of bones is what i like but idk, when im skating the streets my bones feel a big difference of softer or shock absorbing better than my F4ś or other wheels

ooo maybe they are worth a definite try, what bones formula are they and where can i check them j?
yes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 12:15:08 AM »
late to the game on this one but I picked up some krooked 1/8 risers over the weekend to replace the (too) hard thunder ones I had on my 149s. I've always ridden semi-soft risers and had a real soft spot (pun inteded) for those green lucky ones back in the day. They are adjustable so you can slide them up/ down depending on your trucks and/ or OCD. Would buy again 10/10

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2017, 11:04:38 PM »
Do the rubber pads really make a difference? More comfortable? Less vibration? I don't really have an issue with pressure cracks.

I use thin rubber shock pads. Not for pressure cracks, (which are cosmetic anyway), but to keep hardware tight and to grip the baseplate.

Next time you switch boards, look at the baseplate holes on your trucks. Chances are they've gotten bigger and are no longer perfectly round.

No matter how tight your hardware is, it'll loosen over time and your trucks will subtly shift from hard landings/slides/reverts. Shock pads will keep your hardware tighter, and also prevent truck-shift by giving them something to grip against.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 07:45:57 AM »
I really, really dislike riding boards without risers--feels insane to me.
All the ground here in MA is utterly fucked and they make for a much smoother ride in my opinion.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Do the rubber pads really make a difference? More comfortable? Less vibration? I don't really have an issue with pressure cracks.
[close]

I use thin rubber shock pads. Not for pressure cracks, (which are cosmetic anyway), but to keep hardware tight and to grip the baseplate.

Next time you switch boards, look at the baseplate holes on your trucks. Chances are they've gotten bigger and are no longer perfectly round.

No matter how tight your hardware is, it'll loosen over time and your trucks will subtly shift from hard landings/slides/reverts. Shock pads will keep your hardware tighter, and also prevent truck-shift by giving them something to grip against.

Yeah that make sense. I kinda feel like trying some of the rubber pads now, and if they smooth out my shitty streets all the better!

The only thing that makes me hesitate is raising my setup.. Anything more than a mm or two makes me nervous lol.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 03:26:24 PM »
late to the game on this one but I picked up some krooked 1/8 risers over the weekend to replace the (too) hard thunder ones I had on my 149s. I've always ridden semi-soft risers and had a real soft spot (pun inteded) for those green lucky ones back in the day. They are adjustable so you can slide them up/ down depending on your trucks and/ or OCD. Would buy again 10/10

I actually ordered a couple sets of these off the strength of this post. I prefer a softer riser but a few days ago I settled with the hard ass thunder ones because I wanted something to properly fit my 149's, and I cracked off a corner of the riser like 2-3 sessions in . These lucky's seem to be exactly what I'm looking for tho, thanks for the input

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 04:21:06 PM »
All good mate! I was in the same situation when I got my thunders but their risers are pretty terrible. Let me know how the lucky's work out for ya, I haven't rocked them in years and opted out for the krooked soft ones this time round and they fit perfectly

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 09:49:53 PM »
All good mate! I was in the same situation when I got my thunders but their risers are pretty terrible. Let me know how the lucky's work out for ya, I haven't rocked them in years and opted out for the krooked soft ones this time round and they fit perfectly

ahaha kool kool, thanks imp, exactly what ive been needing lately since i hopped back on the thunder wagon cause the indys were on the heavy side and my friend got me all mental about the weight of my board

but im glad i got back on the thunders cause at high speeds the tiny extra height over the indy lows help balance the pop, idk what it is but the low height was amazing for that steady roll to get tech on flat or ledges but going fast for gaps, stairs and such was odd, it popped a little too quick. yeah risers/shock pads could help but that indy weight was getting to me. the thunders are significantly lighter, im definitely getting some krooked risers now hearing how theyre soft, i saw how they could be adjusted for thunders but i didnt know they were soft  ;D

i have the hard thunder risers but yeah...hard...so no point

kudos to you imp
yes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »
kudos to you imp
no worries mate, you're one of the ones that got me off my 20+ years of indy and back trying new trucks. #notsureifgoodthingorbadthingtho
not sure if all those krooked ones are (semi) soft but the fluro pink ones I bought defs are ;)

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2017, 10:55:08 PM »
Expand Quote
kudos to you imp
[close]
no worries mate, you're one of the ones that got me off my 20+ years of indy and back trying new trucks. #notsureifgoodthingorbadthingtho
not sure if all those krooked ones are (semi) soft but the fluro pink ones I bought defs are ;)

cool! :D

im glad, those are the exact ones im getting. its nice to try new things, especially when its a good new thing. and thunders are definitely a good thing.

i swear they actually had a R&D team for remastering the thunders to what they are now. the height, weight, rebound, and geometry.

im not trying to knock indy but i have such a strong feeling the time and energy put into making the stage 11 standard was them just saying, hey i got it. lets just make indys taller again like the old stages by extending the pivot stem and making them a revamped version of the old stages, yeah that should work right cause skating's the same since the 80ś/90ś.

if they actually put effort into the new stage rumored with maybe ace height or as i suggest thunder 149 II height and better rebound geometry or bushings(probably bushings to keep the classic geo) and cut some weight somewhere, i swear they will be somewhere on par with thunder. should probably cut some weight off the grind bar on the hangar, im not saying take it off, im saying maybe take some of the meat off that bar and use a higher grade/stronger aluminum so they dont grind down fast and grind smoother since its harder
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 11:06:48 PM »
What I really want to know is how little Indy can change their shit in order for you guys to buy them.......

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 11:13:32 PM »
What I really want to know is how little Indy can change their shit in order for you guys to buy them.......
re-release stage 7/8s in their original state (bushings included) and keep me (and Rowley) happy

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2017, 11:53:27 PM »
Funny that people are always saying that indys are too heavy against other trucks when the difference is like 30-50g per truck in reality.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2017, 12:03:15 AM »

ahaha make another slogan and video on how hardcore skater their trucks are

ride the best fuck the rest

built to grind

preferred by the pros

accept no substitutes

performance that has no equal

theyre good trucks but very overrated. theeve trucks though, very underrated.

Funny that people are always saying that indys are too heavy against other trucks when the difference is like 30-50g per truck in reality.

aha trust, hold the same deck with thunders and then hold the deck with indys. 147 hi vs 139 standards. you really notice a solid difference. yeah the weight means its a solid tough truck but i need that light weight effortless feel skating around. some people like that weight so they know its a real skateboard theyre riding but me, i like it light and solid(thunder trucks)
yes

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2017, 12:12:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

built to grind

preferred by the pros

accept no substitutes

Expand Quote
[close]

aha trust, hold the same deck with thunders and then hold the deck with indys. 147 hi vs 139 standards. you really notice a solid difference. yeah the weight means its a solid tough truck but i need that light weight effortless feel skating around. some people like that weight so they know its a real skateboard theyre riding but me, i like it light and solid(thunder trucks)

That's me, to each his/her own i guess. How do you feel when you change new set of wheels, that's gonna add few extra grams to your setup, does it throw you off?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2017, 12:29:11 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=93876.msg2598105#msg2598105 date=1484727131
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

built to grind

preferred by the pros

accept no substitutes

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's me, to each his/her own i guess. How do you feel when you change new set of wheels, that's gonna add few extra grams to your setup, does it throw you off?

exactly, to each his or her own.

idk how bobby worrest does it but he rips and hes been strictly on that indy standard koolaid since who knows how long. just repping and riding indys til the end while i see most pros cheat on indy to ride thunders or any truck brand to ride thunders(definitely saw aaron jaws homoki rocking some thunders and it was i can 100% assure you not a friends board, and brophy cheating tensor rocking thunders, check his instagram)

with a new set of wheels there is that strange feeling weight difference coming from a good nice worn wheel but i feel its a necessary change you cant avoid, you could ride smaller fresh wheels but with me once i find a wheel i like(bones stf) all i care about is that they feel the way i want/am use to them: smooth, fast, slide when i need it, im more hyped on the freshness than the break in.
yes

DirtyHairHalo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2020, 08:47:34 PM »
What risers fit Ace trucks best? And don’t say Indy cause they don’t.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2020, 09:36:51 PM »

As to what fits, it depends how high you want to go, just a tiny bit or a fair bit?

Currently all 1/8 normal type risers from Krooked and Bones that I have are of a long rectangular hole pattern so any truck will fit, but taller risers often just have the single holes which will be offset somewhat on trucks of different brands, eg Indy risers do not fit Thunders or Ace.

I had been using the really soft thin risers for a long time on older (lower) versions of regular Indy and Thunder trucks that I just used a hole punch on to widen or lengthen out holes, but the stage 11 are pretty much just the right height nowdays so a sticker under the baseplate is perfect.

I have also used a blade to cut holes longer in soft rubber 1/8 risers too which also worked, as well as trimming off the excess round the riser that sat outside the truck pattern.

Added:  I just checked a link from above and Mini logo also have the longer hole pattern, so any of those would do too.

https://minilogoskateboards.com/skateboard-accessories/risers

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2020, 10:36:38 PM »

big fan of the .10" mini logos. adds 2.5mm to height.
fit indy's perfectly. soft enough but don't squeeze out when getting bolts flush.
a little shock reduction. no bolt wiggles + no truck shifting

Frank and Fred

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2020, 10:39:06 PM »

I use indy 1/8" risers on Ace all the time. They do indeed fit just not through the bolt holes. its not that hard to figure it out.

But I like Bones risers with the oval holes, because you can move the riser back and fore to position them however you like.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2020, 12:41:07 AM »

Diamond fit Ace perfectly, they are made in the same factory! See third pic:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CD3cQqVF-SK/?igshid=1hinyagemkie7

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2020, 07:47:25 AM »

Enter the Mindy.....

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2020, 10:13:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

IDK if they changed them or what but I got a set recently after seeing this and they fit funny...slightly under towards the middle of the board and then stick out a bit at the outer edge of the baseplate.

I've tried modus, those stuck out slightly but look good on Aces. And then slotted risers like Lucky and Krooked are cool if you want something softer.

I wish I had whatever ones you got. That being said, I don't even rock risers with my Aces regularly so I don't know why I'm even complaining.

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2020, 10:28:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i have been eye balling them on tactics and seeing the reviews got me considering, and now that you tell me this i do wanna get a set but i need some slide ability in there

Break keyframes in and they slide very easily within a week if not less. They’re actually way icier than my 97a slimeballs, but still grip better around sharp turns. Once you engage the slide, that fucker slides.

On my setup with keyframes I run the bulletproof polycarbonate 1/8” joints provided by the pal GS77, and they are the shit.

**I just realized I replied to a 3 year old comment...carry on
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:21:44 AM by YungJugg »

DirtyHairHalo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2020, 04:20:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That looks spot on, thank you!