Author Topic: Original Swiss vs Super Swiss 6  (Read 28898 times)

Jud Nestorkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
Original Swiss vs Super Swiss 6
« on: January 06, 2017, 08:33:07 AM »
Going to get my first set of bones Swiss. Both same price

Should I get these

Or these

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:48:10 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

coneklr

Re: Original Swiss va Super Swiss 6
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 08:43:10 AM »
Never had the 6 ball but I've been skating only the og swiss for 10+ years and have only had a handful of sets in that time.  They were hands down better than any other bearings I had skated before that.  My .02

N.L.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 09:26:05 AM »
6 ball are supposed to be stronger and quicker accelerating for street skating. the theory is they also stay cleaner longer due to only having 6 balls. they seem to last longer for me. get 'em.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »
6 ball are supposed to be stronger and quicker accelerating for street skating. the theory is they also stay cleaner longer due to only having 6 balls. they seem to last longer for me. get 'em.

Thanks man. I was leaning towards the 6 balls but I notice that most pros on bones just ride the OG Swiss so I figured there must be something better about them vs the 6 balls

FirstBlood82

• Rep: 117
Re: Original Swiss vs Super Swiss 6
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 10:20:13 AM »
six balls lasted longer than swiss for me

Randozzi

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 10:43:44 AM »
6 balls, so so good.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 10:54:10 AM »
Make sure you get new wheels and trucks too, don't want no axle slips. 6 balls are fast as f*** especially in new wheels

JAesop

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 11:07:56 AM »
6, a little louder buzz, but that makes them better.

coneklr

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 11:13:53 AM »
Damn, my next set may have to be the 6 ball then with these reviews!

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 11:14:12 AM »
I've skated the original swiss, L2's or labyrinth's, and super 6.  I prefer the 6's. I'm no physics expert, but I think the larger size ball bearings have less rolling resistance.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »
6's.....but I'd recommend race reds tightened down......

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »
The larger (6) balls are supposed to withstand more load and haver a lower running torque (faster). On the other hand, there's more space between bearings, which may make them weaker for axial loads (side to side). I would think more balls are better for street, and 6 balls would be better for bowls.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
I like the 6's, but I got a flat spot on one of the ball bearings after 4 years. I've had the 7's for 5 years on and just got another pair of the 6's.

You really can't go wrong with these two choices, it's just splitting hairs at this point.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
same price?  where

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 01:32:19 PM »
Never had the Originals. I've had the same 6's for a little over 2 years now. Still going strong. I thought they were done last week but after cleaning/living, they're fast as hell again.

BMCsteve

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 02:49:10 PM »
Swiss 6 are the fastest bearings that I've ever skating.  That being said, I skate the Race Reds now because I like the design better.  They aren't as fast though and likely wont last as long as the 6

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »
Swiss 6 are the fastest bearings that I've ever skating.  That being said, I skate the Race Reds now because I like the design better.  They aren't as fast though and likely wont last as long as the 6
i wonder if you could take apart a set of each and configure a race 6 ball?

Opoin

• Rep: 1
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 03:58:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i wonder if you could take apart a set of each and configure a race 6 ball?

I think the groove of the race reds wouldn't be large enough for the larger 6 ball design to output maximal performance, maybe?  I'm just talking out of my ass and have no idea if it's true though.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 04:53:38 PM »

What do you mean you like the design better? It sounds like the 6 is better designed as in your experience it's faster and more durable. Do you mean how they look?

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 06:12:59 PM »
Thank you guys. The super 6 it is!

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 08:45:45 PM »
yea they should make a race swiss6

Pigeon

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 10:10:07 PM »
Does anyone have the Swiss Ceramics and are they the best bearings you've ever had?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 10:38:52 PM »
Taken off some old longboard forum:

The best bearing by design right now is the Super Swiss 6 by Bones with SpeedCream. The Bearing had several advantages. 1) It is manufactured by WIB Bearing. 2) They are made with a tight Raceway curvature to avoid "Excess Axial Play" 3) They are supplied with a Re-enforced plastic cage rated at 150,000 RPM 4)Laberinth Non-Contacting Rubber Seals to keep out dirt. This is the obtimum design for free rotation and keeping out contamination.
Ceramic Ball Bearings are only good if they come with Plastic or Phenolic Ball Cages. As a Hardcore skater skating 4-5 days a week. Super Swiss 6 with Speed cream cant be beat. Fuc* the Abec rating. The Abec rating is designed so that the bearing has manufacturing consistancy in order to manufacture mating parts to simular tolerances. (Re: Precision Shafting and Housings.)
Ron

Oh Yeah
... one more note on why the Super swiss 6 has lower starting and running torque (This is Known as Speed to us skateboarders)
All 608's are made with 7 ball compliment. The Super Swiss 6 is the ONLY 608 manufactured with a 6 ball compliment. The Balls all bigger, can take higher load (Impact), Have less ball surphase touching the raceway with 6 balls instead of 7 which lowers the running torque of the bearing making the bearing get to full speed quicker. I am sure within the next year you will start seeing more 6 ball designs, but right now its WIB(Bones) that makes 'em...At all possible, stick with German or Swiss with Plastic or non-metalic ball cages. Any bearing with a steel cage will be slower no matter where it's made. Grease is just an oil with a thickener, the thickener in the grease will slow down your bearing and running just oil will attract contaminates from far away and not provide proper protection. Use the Good-old Speed Cream in the skate shops. By buying German or Swiss what is important is you will know the bearing is manufactuered by a very high quality bearing manufacturer who does the final raceway polishing what the chinese dont, and who it is. There are so many names and marketing stratagies going on with Chinese Bearings, you will get lost in it all. At my old Company we brought in Chinese Bearings for .12 Each. We had the Stamping machines to Mark the Shields. We did PIG,GIRL,SPEED DEMONS, and several others. All were from the same manufacturing lot with different color/marked shields. Any of those weird brands are probably a .12-.18 cent bearing made by the millions with no quality control and several key manufacturing processes left out in order to sell the U.S. for .12 cents.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 12:17:10 AM »
haha note to self: get bones super swiss 6 ball bearings.

been rolling on super reds cause cheap and a little better than reg reds but now im very interested in investing on better bearings hearing all this, faster? stronger? longer rolls? i need this
yes

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2017, 01:58:48 AM »
My 2 cents, 6balls were faster but regular ones lasted longer.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
Anyone try oust? http://www.oustbearings.com/index.php/products

I'm wondering if they can compete with bones. I like the idea of having steel ball cages that these feature: I try to stick with bearings for a long time, and the plastic/nylon type always end up breaking on me. I guess they're considered the bearing brand of choice for a lot of gnarly long-boarders and slalom skaters.   

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2017, 02:13:53 AM »
Does anyone have the Swiss Ceramics and are they the best bearings you've ever had?

In short, yes.
I had money to splurge and got those.
They are very expensive but really amazing bearings, fast, low maintenance and bit lighter than standard bearings if that matters to you. They will last for years without trouble.
I would say that they are kinda overkill but if money is not issue or you got good discount get those.

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2017, 04:30:24 AM »
just adding one more vote to the mix for anyone considering the super swiss: i feel like the difference between 6s and regular swiss is bigger than the difference between reds and swiss, if that helps. lasted forever too

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 08:09:49 AM »
A crown broke on my set and you can't easily replace it because it's for six balls.....bones sells em though.....I was just too lazy to buy a single like that....