Author Topic: Original Swiss vs Super Swiss 6  (Read 28900 times)

Chronic85

Re: Original Swiss vs Super Swiss 6
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2023, 01:45:25 AM »
Does anyone have the Swiss Ceramics and are they the best bearings you've ever had?

A good friend of mine has the Swiss Ceramics for over 10 years now.
He skates street, parks and transition mostly.
We skate basically every day if possible (if not shitty german weather..).
Occasionally he's also still jumping stairsets despite being 47 now.

He absolutely swears on them.

So i bought the ceramics some years ago and rode them for five years.
Cleaning them one to two times a year was enough to getting them feel basically brand new.

We both think they're absolutely worth the money (when they still cost 180€).

After 5 years without complication the shields started to bent inwards (was my mistake) and since you dont get replacement shields right now without shipping them i switched them with some Super Swiss Six Balls.
I read a thread on here with someone claiming he's working in the bearing industrie and the six balls were the best bearings for skateboarding in his opinion.

I don't like them tbh. I think they're much slower than the ceramics and i feel they grab much more dirt and get slower very fast.

If the ceramics still cost 180€ instead of 230€ , i would buy them again straight away and give the fairly new SSSB to some kid in the park.

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2023, 10:01:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone have the Swiss Ceramics and are they the best bearings you've ever had?
[close]

Cleaning them one to two times a year was enough to getting them feel basically brand new.

After 5 years without complication the shields started to bent inwards (was my mistake) and since you dont get replacement shields right now without shipping them i switched them with some Super Swiss Six Balls.
I read a thread on here with someone claiming he's working in the bearing industrie and the six balls were the best bearings for skateboarding in his opinion.

I don't like them tbh. I think they're much slower than the ceramics and i feel they grab much more dirt and get slower very fast.

If the ceramics still cost 180€ instead of 230€ , i would buy them again straight away and give the fairly new SSSB to some kid in the park.

Still 180€ in Finland. I linked below a few legit Finnish skate shops that have them right now for 180€. Dunno how's the shipping to where you are but I can't imagine it being much for such a small thing. Could ship them in a padded letter.

https://www.realdeal.fi/skeittaus/laakerit/bones-swiss-ceramics-p-11020.html
https://www.beyondstore.fi/product/1417/bones-swiss-ceramics
https://www.cartel.fi/product/5492/bones-swiss-ceramics-bearings
https://ponkes.com/tuote/bones-swiss-ceramics-608/

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2023, 06:36:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The bones bearing shields are all for the most part interchangeable, so you could always put some other shields from old bearings in the ones you want to keep running, otherwise flattening them out with a skate tool always worked for me.  Just put them outer face down, sit the wheel nut side of the tool over it and push down and round a bit and they usually flatten out nicely.

Once the joining bit of rubber starts to go on the shields, it often means replacements needed, as they will just fall back out, even if you do everything to get them flat and sitting where they should.

Just a couple of thoughts anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Chronic85

« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2023, 10:38:57 PM »
Thanks to both of you for the info  :)

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2023, 01:54:58 AM »
now I wanna try ceramics  :P
But 230€. Might have to wait for black Friday.

Anyone tried the CERAMIC SUPER REDS?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2023, 04:31:59 PM »

Yes, I had a set, still do have a set actually.

They sure do go fast.

The thing with me, as I have a lot of setups, I try to have the same in everything, so when I had a chance to get a set, I did to try, they were amazing, faster than everything else (except Swiss Ceramics) so I put them on a particular setup, which now never really gets used, as when I skated the other boards, they felt slow and I was not about to get a dozen or more sets when I didn't need them.

Might be a bit silly, but normal Swiss go plenty fast enough for me for everything.

I can easily understand why some people would want them though, getting every little bit of speed out of your setup is important.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rikki

• Rep: 285
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2023, 10:35:42 PM »
I think everyone should just use regular Bones Swiss and not try anything else ever again. God knows I've experimented witj numerous other bearings by way of hype, marketing and whatnot, and always come back home to the normal Swisses. Best bearings ever, no contest.

Sombrero

• Rep: 2
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2023, 10:48:46 PM »

I've been on the Super  Red Ceramics for several months. Still fast af. My other setups have Bronson Raw and Super Reds but require consistent cleaning /relubes. My local is an odd park with transitions  located with way too much distance between them. I also never push off so any loss of speed is immediately noticed. They're the quietest bearings I've seen. Will probably buy 2 more sets if I can catch a sale.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2023, 06:35:05 AM »
You guys think there's a significant difference between ceramics and swiss 6 besides price? I have a weird habit of breaking bearings so if the 6's last longer that'd be cool.
The difference is night and day - swiss ceramics feel like I'm on ice, there's no friction.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2023, 08:51:58 AM »
I can't see myself ever needing to go faster than a Swiss 6 lets me go. Break them in. They are never as fast out of the gate. Even Bones acknowledges their bearings aren't gong to be as fast brand new as they will once 'broken in.'

IpathCats

« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2023, 10:49:45 AM »
I feel like after all these years I've been skating, seeing them in shops priced well above other bearings, has given them a sort of mystique to me. I feel like I need to try them now that I can afford my own skate gear.

edit: ceramics, not regular swiss. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 11:34:15 AM by IpathCats »

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2023, 11:52:33 AM »
the swiss 6 are definitely way more durable and i feel like they gain speed faster but ceramics roll longer

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2023, 03:02:06 PM »
Okay, as someone who has only had shit luck with regular Bones Reds, what should I potentially try? I’m a little wary despite the praise the Swiss and ceramics get because plain reds have always felt slower and less durable than mini logos, which are about half the price.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2023, 03:34:58 PM »
I’m a little wary despite the praise the Swiss and ceramics get because plain reds have always felt slower and less durable than mini logos, which are about half the price.

I don't understand how your issue with Reds affects your feelings about Swiss.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2023, 03:46:43 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m a little wary despite the praise the Swiss and ceramics get because plain reds have always felt slower and less durable than mini logos, which are about half the price.
[close]

I don't understand how your issue with Reds affects your feelings about Swiss.

It’s not really my feelings on Swiss, just more that I’m unsure of the choice between Swiss/6/ceramics and my experience with their other products kind of muddies the waters. They make mini logo bearings too

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2023, 03:48:28 PM »
Just get Swiss 6. If you get them on sale, they're basically the cost of two packs of Reds and will last for years after the Reds have gone to the landfill.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2023, 03:55:43 PM »
I can't see myself ever needing to go faster than a Swiss 6 lets me go. Break them in. They are never as fast out of the gate. Even Bones acknowledges their bearings aren't gong to be as fast brand new as they will once 'broken in.'
This is a misunderstanding of what makes ceramics great: Swiss ceramics don't make you go faster, they retain the speed you have for a longer time, meaning less pushing and less pumping.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2023, 04:31:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This is a misunderstanding of what makes ceramics great: Swiss ceramics don't make you go faster, they retain the speed you have for a longer time, meaning less pushing and less pumping.

I still don't think I'd need them for the types of skateboarding I like to do. Perhaps if I was getting geared up in leathers and full face helmet.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2023, 05:23:04 PM »
Okay, as someone who has only had shit luck with regular Bones Reds, what should I potentially try? I’m a little wary despite the praise the Swiss and ceramics get because plain reds have always felt slower and less durable than mini logos, which are about half the price.

Reds and Mini Logo are literally the same bearings, from the same distributor. It's all branding and advertising. If you want the cheapest "Reds", get Rollerbones. But to address your weariness, swiss are a significant step up in terms of performance, but all bearings break, and it's pretty much random regardless of the brand and build quality. It all comes down to how much coin you're willing to gamble with.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2023, 11:18:41 PM »
Swiss 6 are a noticeable step up from „bottom shelf“ bearings (if you can call Reds that). Can‘t comment on ceramics but all that talk makes me want to buy them, or request them as a b-day or Christmas gift.  :D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2023, 04:07:58 AM »
I feel that ceramic stuff is for longboarders, we don't need that much speed for our stuff.
That being said + returning to the topic itself I had both classic swiss and swiss 6. To me they feel the same in terms of speed and acceleration but 6 last longer in my experience.
I always recommend swiss 6 to everybody
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2023, 12:29:57 PM »
swiss 6 are where its at.

ulpsb

• Rep: 4
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2023, 09:24:21 PM »
I have both the regular 6 and the Swiss 6. They both are great, whichever you have the money for. I was always a pop the shield type. No matter what brand they always shitted out. I've been keeping the shields on lately and cleaning every few months. Made the biggest difference...

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2023, 09:55:47 PM »
I have both the regular 6 and the Swiss 6. They both are great, whichever you have the money for. I was always a pop the shield type. No matter what brand they always shitted out. I've been keeping the shields on lately and cleaning every few months. Made the biggest difference...

So you’re saying that the protective shield… protects the bearing internals? And regular maintenance will make them last longer? Holy shit!

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2023, 05:32:14 PM »
The Scott Thompson thread made me think of this

No body gets it when I say I'm sick of the Swiss

Got a problem with that Belgium?

ulpsb

• Rep: 4
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2023, 06:38:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So you’re saying that the protective shield… protects the bearing internals? And regular maintenance will make them last longer? Holy shit!

Doh! My palm my forehead