Author Topic: Moving to Seattle  (Read 4295 times)

arthurspooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
Moving to Seattle
« on: January 08, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »
Im moving to Seattle from LA  in a little less than two weeks. It'd be cool to meet up and skate some parks up there. If any Seattle Pals want to skate - let me know!

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
Re: Moving to Seattle
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 10:55:39 AM »
This has been the worst winter on record.
Average temp is 32.
You won't be skating outdoors much.
I'm way south of seattle, lots of skateparks though.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 12:28:22 AM »
If I lived there still. But if you are in federal way are hit up 35th ave. 35th north is next to the cal anderson park. Psycho Mike always puts on stuff at cal anderson, the "courts" lots of cool shit to skate. I am coming home to Seattle in about a week I might run into you haha.

coneklr

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 10:31:21 AM »
Feel free to hit me up too.  I'm about 30 min outside of seattle but would love to meet up with some people and skate sometime

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »
Look for SLAP's OIAM '08 winner Ben Cabreana at Judkins, tell him you want to have a ramen burrito with him and you'll have a friend for life
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

arthurspooner

• Rep: 9
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 02:24:30 PM »
Feel free to hit me up too.  I'm about 30 min outside of seattle but would love to meet up with some people and skate sometime
right on! will do

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 05:49:13 PM »
Moved to Seattle a few months ago and was wondering if any of y’all got recs for covered spots now that the rain has come. Also anything that’s lit up at night would be cool too.

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 29
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 12:47:58 PM »
Moved to Seattle a few months ago and was wondering if any of y’all got recs for covered spots now that the rain has come. Also anything that’s lit up at night would be cool too.

Not sure if it's still going strong but C5 (basically right under Red Square at Washing Univ.) was always a fun session when I lived out there.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 12:57:40 PM »

It's just flat ground, but it's really smooth. Parking garage next door to Theo chocolate HQ in Fremont. Never been booted, just don't litter, hit cars, basic human decency stuff. Oh it's also more a weekend/after 5 kind of thing.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 01:02:29 PM »
There's also All Together Skatepark for an indoor sesh.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 02:05:05 PM »
Good looks boys.

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2020, 02:58:20 PM »
Make sure to buy vitamin D supplements, a sunlight lamp, and generally check in with yourself during the wet months. I'm from LA and went to Seattle for college. I ended up transferring because SAD fucked me up pretty badly.

Definitely not saying this to discourage you, it's a great city. Depending on where you live it's super walkable, the public transit has greatly improved in recent years and there's fantastic food (especially in the ID). I just wish I would've been better prepared so I could've taken advantage of more that Seattle had to offer.

shredslap

• Rep: -2
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2020, 06:59:21 PM »
Hopping in on this topic... Anyone in Seattle film with VX that would be up to film my homie?

shredslap

• Rep: -2
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2020, 06:59:46 PM »
Hopping in on this topic... Anyone in Seattle film that would be up to film my homie who moved out there?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2020, 10:36:02 PM »
Hopping in on this topic... Anyone in Seattle film with VX that would be up to film my homie?

tons of local vx filmers. Shouldn't have any problem at all

Quasi

• Rep: -27
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2020, 09:29:42 AM »
Not a fan of the people up there

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2020, 09:57:45 AM »
Make sure to buy vitamin D supplements, a sunlight lamp, and generally check in with yourself during the wet months. I'm from LA and went to Seattle for college. I ended up transferring because SAD fucked me up pretty badly.

Definitely not saying this to discourage you, it's a great city. Depending on where you live it's super walkable, the public transit has greatly improved in recent years and there's fantastic food (especially in the ID). I just wish I would've been better prepared so I could've taken advantage of more that Seattle had to offer.
I was worried about that myself but have been so busy with two jobs it hasn’t affected me all that much yet. I should be starting school in January too so that will keep me busy.

I found this to be the case myself almost immediately after moving here.

sk8bat

• Rep: -97
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2020, 12:19:32 AM »
I've got rooms for rent next to C5. It's 660 all bills paid. Few different properties but all close to the spot.

sk8bat

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 12:23:43 AM »
lol. Lots of bad elements to Seattle, but trade off for skating isn't so bad. Seemed like it rains more in Pennsylvania and Oklahoma.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 12:17:34 AM »
Curious what it is about the people in Seattle you guys don't like. I'm from this area and a lot of times I don't like the people. I even lived out of state for a long time partly because I wanted to get away from them. Now that I've been back a while, I'm starting to remember again why they suck. They're often passive aggressive and take themselves way too seriously. They dress frumpy but still want to be noticed. They can't take a joke. They're fake humble and are actually full of themselves. They're nosy like small town people. They suppress their true thoughts and feelings only to talk shit about people behind their backs. Of course not everyone's like this but a lot of them are.

sk8bat

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 01:50:08 PM »
Curious what it is about the people in Seattle you guys don't like. I'm from this area and a lot of times I don't like the people. I even lived out of state for a long time partly because I wanted to get away from them. Now that I've been back a while, I'm starting to remember again why they suck. They're often passive aggressive and take themselves way too seriously. They dress frumpy but still want to be noticed. They can't take a joke. They're fake humble and are actually full of themselves. They're nosy like small town people. They suppress their true thoughts and feelings only to talk shit about people behind their backs. Of course not everyone's like this but a lot of them are.
That sums it up. I just can't understand why people behave that way. The weather? I have no idea but I've lived in a lot of cities and most recently Pittsburgh. People in Seattle are maybe super judgemental cause everyone is on drugs. I thought it was weird when I moved here how much everyone loves meth, but it's just part of the culture, being a paranoid junky asshole.

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 07:12:29 PM »
curious as to what made you develop that impression of people in seattle. are you referring to skaters, or the citizens as a whole? I think the skate scene is wonderful, most skaters are easy to spark up a pleasant conversation with. most of the "cool-guy" skaters seemed to either grow up or move away. it kind of sounds like you're more-so describing one or two specific people and using that as your whole impression of the people of seattle. maybe you just work in an industry that tends to have pretentious people, and that put a sour taste in your mouth?

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 08:35:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
curious as to what made you develop that impression of people in seattle. are you referring to skaters, or the citizens as a whole? I think the skate scene is wonderful, most skaters are easy to spark up a pleasant conversation with. most of the "cool-guy" skaters seemed to either grow up or move away. it kind of sounds like you're more-so describing one or two specific people and using that as your whole impression of the people of seattle. maybe you just work in an industry that tends to have pretentious people, and that put a sour taste in your mouth?

I was born and raised in Washington state and people here are known for being cold and passive aggressive, and that's been my experience as well, except for certain close friends. They call this aloofness the "Seattle Freeze." It's a bit of an exaggeration but there's some truth to it, just like it's generally true that East Coasters are more abrasive and straightforward; I prefer that style of open and direct communication. But maybe it's changed somewhat in Seattle in recent years with all the transplants here? I don't meet that many new people so I may mostly be talking about what was true in the past. I think skaters in general tend to be pretty cool though wherever you go.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 04:23:56 PM »
I have a homie thats working in seattle and called me yesterday to see if i could find him any leads about d.i.y. spots, parks or any apot that people skate at during the winter, any heads up would be appreciated pals.
Shalom!
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2020, 08:50:22 PM »
There are parks all over but the 2 covered and dry ones on the south end I know about are Marginal Way and Long Acres. Both are diy. Marginal is huge and was featured in KOTR a few years back. If you learn of any more let me know!

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2020, 09:27:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I was born and raised in Washington state and people here are known for being cold and passive aggressive, and that's been my experience as well, except for certain close friends. They call this aloofness the "Seattle Freeze." It's a bit of an exaggeration but there's some truth to it, just like it's generally true that East Coasters are more abrasive and straightforward; I prefer that style of open and direct communication. But maybe it's changed somewhat in Seattle in recent years with all the transplants here? I don't meet that many new people so I may mostly be talking about what was true in the past. I think skaters in general tend to be pretty cool though wherever you go.

I went on a trip to Seattle about a decade ago and that was kind of the vibe I got when I had deal with people. I was skating one park and some of those Concrete Disciples guys were there and one guy murmured something about people not wearing helmets (the only people not wearing helmets were me and some other out of towner from Oregon who was a beast). I chalked that one up to old guy-ism.

While in Ballard some guy gave a mom and her kids a hard time for fucking around in the bowl between runs. “It’s just not safe for them to ride a scooter in there. It’s not built for that.” I thought it was wack. Mom was letting them in for a minute at a time and making them get out. The “session” was me and and this other guy putzing around. I’m used to putting up with way worse at home and if he wanted them out he should have been less poosey. Every park I skated that trip was nearly empty and I thought it was an affront that skaters had is so fucking good (mostly paid for by local government).

I later related the Ballard story to another skater at a party and a girl materialized from nowhere, started poking me in the chest and informed me she was FROM Ballard and didn’t like hearing people “talk shit on Seattle.” We unfortunately started calling her Seattle Slew after that.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:41:34 PM by Willie »

ginozz

• Rep: 0
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2020, 01:50:12 AM »
Can you guys post any nice street footy edits from Seattle? keen on watching some

dilbert1

• Rep: 141
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2020, 12:25:33 PM »

Larry D

• Rep: 0
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2021, 12:02:51 PM »
Anyone know where that manny pad CK skates a lot in Beware of the Sasquatch is? Looks like an arena in the background. 

And also the ledge/manny pads he skates i believe in his Nike part. They are right on the water

Thanks!

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2021, 02:23:40 PM »
Anyone know where that manny pad CK skates a lot in Beware of the Sasquatch is? Looks like an arena in the background. 

And also the ledge/manny pads he skates i believe in his Nike part. They are right on the water

Thanks!

Thea's Park in Tacoma ledge/pad by water.