Author Topic: Dashawn Jordan part (Berrics warning)  (Read 7118 times)

MisterX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 50
Re: Dashawn Jordan part (Berrics warning)
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »
That was a pretty heavy part, but my biggest complaints about this video and new videos in general is the lack of camera standardization/song selection. Half the clips had that shitty instagram looking fade to them and were all washed out, and every clip looks like it was filmed by a different person.  Pair that with the song's audio being way louder than the skating audio just ruined it for me.  Remember when the songs reflected who the skater was and the part was edited to have tricks hit on certain parts.  Feels like now a part is filmed by 10 different guys with 10 different setups, edited without a song and then they just lay in whatever music they have currently playing in their headphones. 

Maybe I am just getting old...Maybe I am just from the golden era of skate videos...Maybe it's rose tinted glasses, but I just don't feel like parts are filmed/edited as well as they were.  In any event the last trick was nuts.

LifeHammered

• Rep: 53
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2017, 04:20:50 PM »
That was a pretty heavy part, but my biggest complaints about this video and new videos in general is the lack of camera standardization/song selection. Half the clips had that shitty instagram looking fade to them and were all washed out, and every clip looks like it was filmed by a different person.  Pair that with the song's audio being way louder than the skating audio just ruined it for me.  Remember when the songs reflected who the skater was and the part was edited to have tricks hit on certain parts.  Feels like now a part is filmed by 10 different guys with 10 different setups, edited without a song and then they just lay in whatever music they have currently playing in their headphones. 

Maybe I am just getting old...Maybe I am just from the golden era of skate videos...Maybe it's rose tinted glasses, but I just don't feel like parts are filmed/edited as well as they were.  In any event the last trick was nuts.
I feel that's what happens when someone like the Berrics is involved in putting this out. The only independent video i've seen of him is this BB4 part. Much more raw and enjoyable imo

not_ericricks

• Rep: -65
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2017, 04:49:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I feel that's what happens when someone like the Berrics is involved in putting this out. The only independent video i've seen of him is this BB4 part. Much more raw and enjoyable imo

I never seen that part, thanks

That was waaaaay heavier. Probably had alot more time too though.

The salad on that tall rail is asking for death
I stand one step above you like a pharmacist

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 430
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2017, 05:22:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
for some reason as good as this guy is, i dont find him interesting at all. same with that yuto kid, fucking amazing at skating but completely devoid of personality or even seeming like they actually like skating past the purpose of trying to be pro. maybe thats how skating is now?
[close]

People like that have existed forever. �And who are you to say that they don't have fun skating anyway?

[close]

Exactly!!! Like shitforbrains said too! Skateboarding is fun even when you suck. I cant imagine how fun it would be to do some of this shit on a skateboard.

Are people possible just jealous?
[close]

I think it's mostly that lots of people here aren't actually that interested in the act of skateboarding. They're interested in the "lifestyle" that is around it. That's why the way a dude skates will always be secondary for them to what he's wearing, whether he's "cool" or "likeable" or whatever, who he hangs with, what his sponsors are... the whole "vibe" thing.

It's the way insecure junior high school kids view music - or anything else really. It's not about whether the band is good or not - it's about whether the band reinforces the image you're trying desperately to uphold of yourself. In which case the stuff surrounding the thing is far more important than the thing itself.
[close]

Yes, I am interested in the "act of skating", I just think that it involves more than athletic ability. I'm sure Nyjah has fun skating, and he's probably the best or very nearly the best in terms of the tricks he can do, yet he is nobody's favourite skater on here (please correct me if I'm wrong). So why is that? Because style and "vibe" (for want of a better word) matter.

[close]

I'm just sick of hearing the same argument over and over again.   People skate differently. People skate for different reasons.  That's what makes skating so great.

You are right. I was just trying to figure out/express why the part didn't appeal to me as much as it should, given the level of the skating in it.