Author Topic: Lies of P is Pinocchio?  (Read 984 times)

PalaceButtPlug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -299
Lies of P is Pinocchio?
« on: September 19, 2023, 10:38:25 AM »
Just saw the release of the new darksouls game that does a dark retelling of Pinocchio?

This looks good, so far-fetched that I'm intrigued.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/lies-of-p/?emcid=pa-co-421881&gclid=c4b739265ad01c3340f05c2f813e3a48&gclsrc=3p.ds&

ApesPissed

• Rep: 58
Re: Lies of P is Pinocchio?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 10:12:52 PM »
Looks fun. It’s not from software but looks solid.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 07:01:54 AM »
Looks to be one of the better Souls-likes so far... obviously no one is beating From Soft at their own game but I'm totally fine with other developers trying to put their own spin on the formula

PalaceButtPlug

• Rep: -299
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 08:09:27 AM »
aw damn I didn't notice that it was a different developer, it looks like they took the same map building template from elden ring but added a steampunk renaissance twist.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 12:24:34 PM »
aw damn I didn't notice that it was a different developer, it looks like they took the same map building template from elden ring but added a steampunk renaissance twist.

Closer to Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3 style level design as it's focused on smaller, interconnected areas and not open world but definitely trying to emulate From's style all around. Gameplay itself is very close to Bloodborne with transforming weapons and the 'regain lost health by attacking quickly' mechanic. Aside from Nioh I think most non-From souls-likes have been pretty bad but I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

They worked some cool Pinocchio stuff into the gameplay like the ability to tell the truth or lie to NPC's... not sure how the lies effect anything long term but you could do cool stuff with that

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 05:12:01 PM »
beat it a couple days ago, amazing game. highly rec if you're a souls fan. final boss is incredible (just make sure you click the "refuse" dialog option if you want to fight it). held me over for lords of the fallen soon

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 03:39:37 AM »
Pinocchio is dark enough.  Naughty young boys becoming asses shipped off to an inescapable Pleasure island full of adult vices... Yikes.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 11:13:13 AM »
playing this on game pass, I've played a few hours of various Souls-likes but I've committed to this one.

I've been fighting the first boss for a couple hours and can't get him past half way. I know its part of the loop and I'm not getting frustrated, I'm just wanting to be able to play effectively lol

Do i just keep hammering away until I get the muscle memory for the attack patterns?

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 07:26:01 PM »
playing this on game pass, I've played a few hours of various Souls-likes but I've committed to this one.

I've been fighting the first boss for a couple hours and can't get him past half way. I know its part of the loop and I'm not getting frustrated, I'm just wanting to be able to play effectively lol

Do i just keep hammering away until I get the muscle memory for the attack patterns?
scrapped watchman or parade master? are you parrying or dodging?

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2023, 01:37:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
scrapped watchman or parade master? are you parrying or dodging?

parade master, but i just beat him - i wasn't blocking or parrying enough. too much dodging and wasn't getting the proper spacing

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2023, 03:38:11 PM »
Well I'm getting better at this game, still not very good at getting perfect blocks and its kinda biting me in the ass in the mid-game.

Any souls players find this game particularly difficult?

Chickenparmesan

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 07:59:36 PM »
Well I'm getting better at this game, still not very good at getting perfect blocks and its kinda biting me in the ass in the mid-game.

Hey I know this thread has been dead but how did you fare with this game? I think the art is sick and I kinda wanna buy it but I don’t think I’m good at souls games. Tried Elden ring when it came out and just didn’t have too much fun. The combat and movement felt so heavy and awkward. I also had no fucking idea what the lore was all about. Did you get used to it?

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2024, 11:00:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Hey I know this thread has been dead but how did you fare with this game? I think the art is sick and I kinda wanna buy it but I don’t think I’m good at souls games. Tried Elden ring when it came out and just didn’t have too much fun. The combat and movement felt so heavy and awkward. I also had no fucking idea what the lore was all about. Did you get used to it?

Also drawn in from the art style and darkened Pinocchio re-telling, LoP is still the only souls-like I've beaten (not the true ending tho, booooo); even after getting into Fromsoft titles upon completion (have played all except DS2).

I think the learning curve is maybe a bit steeper in Lies, due to the Perfect Guard (PG) mechanic being pretty rigid and precise. In general, it is more.. focused?.. distinct?.. in the way the game wants you to play it, especially compared to Elden Ring. You can't spam magic, can't spam Ash of War, can't spam poisons (well kinda). The gameplay loop is like 98% mix between guard/attack, get the stagger, repeat. It plays really fucking good tho, nice crisp movements, and attacks feel responsive.

As noted in my prior posts, I had a hell of a time learning what the fuck. Best advice is use the first boss to learn how to PG every attack. Second boss too. From there, I would figure out how to best use dodge and PG as the situation calls, since most the bosses have varying attack windups and strike speeds, making PG kinda unreliable until you know the moveset.

Also, finding if a fast or heavy weapon works for your playstyle will make a difference in fun/accessibility.

overall, i think its worth the price. i would expect the first 10 hours or so to be pretty tough, but go in to each encounter expecting to learn rather than destroy, and you should pick up on it farily quick. Lore is also pretty forefront in this game, definitely didn't feel as "lost" like the From games.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2024, 09:47:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Also drawn in from the art style and darkened Pinocchio re-telling, LoP is still the only souls-like I've beaten (not the true ending tho, booooo); even after getting into Fromsoft titles upon completion (have played all except DS2).

I think the learning curve is maybe a bit steeper in Lies, due to the Perfect Guard (PG) mechanic being pretty rigid and precise. In general, it is more.. focused?.. distinct?.. in the way the game wants you to play it, especially compared to Elden Ring. You can't spam magic, can't spam Ash of War, can't spam poisons (well kinda). The gameplay loop is like 98% mix between guard/attack, get the stagger, repeat. It plays really fucking good tho, nice crisp movements, and attacks feel responsive.

As noted in my prior posts, I had a hell of a time learning what the fuck. Best advice is use the first boss to learn how to PG every attack. Second boss too. From there, I would figure out how to best use dodge and PG as the situation calls, since most the bosses have varying attack windups and strike speeds, making PG kinda unreliable until you know the moveset.

Also, finding if a fast or heavy weapon works for your playstyle will make a difference in fun/accessibility.

overall, i think its worth the price. i would expect the first 10 hours or so to be pretty tough, but go in to each encounter expecting to learn rather than destroy, and you should pick up on it farily quick. Lore is also pretty forefront in this game, definitely didn't feel as "lost" like the From games.

Did you not like Bloodborne? Seems that's the most apt comparison to this game with From's catalog

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2024, 10:34:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Did you not like Bloodborne? Seems that's the most apt comparison to this game with From's catalog

I think Bloodborne is the shit - love the fast paced combat, and the aesthetic and vibe is probably my favorite of the lot.. a bit confused where you would have got that from my post

I do see aspects of BB in LoP, but I think that it's mostly just rally/guard regain and the Lovecraft/eldritch horror elements.

The most significant difference between the two is LoP doesn't have an actual parry that you use for viscerals/criticals. Yeah, perfect guards, but those are functionally different than DS/BB's parrying, and Bloodborne doesn't have a block which is fairly crucial to Lies of P.

I see LoP as a goulash, with even parts BB and Sekiro, with a DS3 kick in there

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2024, 10:58:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think Bloodborne is the shit - love the fast paced combat, and the aesthetic and vibe is probably my favorite of the lot.. a bit confused where you would have got that from my post

I do see aspects of BB in LoP, but I think that it's mostly just rally/guard regain and the Lovecraft/eldritch horror elements.

The most significant difference between the two is LoP doesn't have an actual parry that you use for viscerals/criticals. Yeah, perfect guards, but those are functionally different than DS/BB's parrying, and Bloodborne doesn't have a block which is fairly crucial to Lies of P.

I see LoP as a goulash, with even parts BB and Sekiro, with a DS3 kick in there

I guess the wording had me confused, I thought you were saying you had tried them all after playing Lies of P but hadn't beaten them but maybe you were just referring to non-From games

I tried the new Lords of the Fallen and really didn't like it but heard people say good things about it
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 11:09:21 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2024, 03:16:43 PM »
I guess the wording had me confused, I thought you were saying you had tried them all after playing Lies of P but hadn't beaten them but maybe you were just referring to non-From games

I tried the new Lords of the Fallen and really didn't like it but heard people say good things about it

I've just always been awful at finishing games, i usually get the fun i can out of the gameplay, then drop it and move because I get bored. So i've played a number of hours in various From games, but haven't got to the credits on any of them yet

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2024, 10:16:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've just always been awful at finishing games, i usually get the fun i can out of the gameplay, then drop it and move because I get bored. So i've played a number of hours in various From games, but haven't got to the credits on any of them yet

Oh gotcha... complete opposite for me. If I get hooked on a game I absolutely have to beat it and can't move on to something else unless I do.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2024, 02:05:06 PM »
Damn this game is fun as hell. Thought the tease at the end credits was really fun and excited to see what they do next with this.