Author Topic: Skate 4 Hype  (Read 47029 times)

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
Re: Skate 4 Hype
« Reply #300 on: July 14, 2022, 11:17:11 AM »
Free to play is fucking horrible news. I'm glad a lot of the original team is working on this, but i know the bottom line decisions are not going to be made by them, but by EA and their reputation for dogshit fuckery precedes them. Most of us don't give a fuck about online multiplayer and i know for certain the last thing i want is to have some bright neon 13 year old who used his mom's debit card on skins in the background while I'm trying to do stupid realistic shit. This is very bad news

thebacker

« Reply #301 on: July 14, 2022, 11:29:48 AM »
Anything much for takeaways other than free 2 play, micro transactions and cross platform online play?  Not watching the full thing but I assume thats all that really matters lol

Also will have to get used to calling it just Skate. Instead of skate 4... whack

dont worry itll always be skate 4

tityboi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #302 on: July 14, 2022, 01:02:36 PM »
Anything much for takeaways other than free 2 play, micro transactions and cross platform online play?  Not watching the full thing but I assume thats all that really matters lol

Also will have to get used to calling it just Skate. Instead of skate 4... whack

i have so little hope for this game. i dont know how other people feel but playing skate3 again after playing skaterXL the controls just feel so dated and less fun. it would be great if they included the skaterxl controls as an optional configuration

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #303 on: July 14, 2022, 01:53:10 PM »
Free to play is fucking horrible news. I'm glad a lot of the original team is working on this, but i know the bottom line decisions are not going to be made by them, but by EA and their reputation for dogshit fuckery precedes them. Most of us don't give a fuck about online multiplayer and i know for certain the last thing i want is to have some bright neon 13 year old who used his mom's debit card on skins in the background while I'm trying to do stupid realistic shit. This is very bad news

This. EA basically just said they're gonna micro-transaction the fuck out of you.

I can see it now – your character will start out on a Walmart board with plastic trucks. You want to actually roll around? Either accomplish 87 hours of missions or pay $5 for new wheels and another $5 for bearings ($25 if you want Bones Swiss).
Also, you can probably only ollie in the beginning. If you want to learn new tricks, $3 a pop.

Fucking hell.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #304 on: July 14, 2022, 02:20:17 PM »

Probably the worst scenario, I don't think that the game is gonna succeed as F2Play and the game will close after 2-3 years

Sk4te loot boxes LET'S GO

Jebediah

• Rep: 116
« Reply #305 on: July 14, 2022, 02:29:48 PM »
my friend on xbox liv said you only pay to look cool as in you can only buy cosmetics

does this mean if you don't pay you look fool?

there is a fps game I tried where the default skin is some dude/girl in underwear, you gotta earn or buy proper clothes

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 02:38:16 PM by Jebediah »

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #306 on: July 14, 2022, 02:49:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Probably the worst scenario, I don't think that the game is gonna succeed as F2Play and the game will close after 2-3 years

Sk4te loot boxes LET'S GO

There's no loot boxes and no maps behind microtransactions, will likely be a 'Battle Pass' and tons of cosmetic microtransactions though

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #307 on: July 14, 2022, 02:50:40 PM »

Just because it's free to play doesn't mean you always have to play online in public lobbies but yeah, free to play from EA is bad

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #308 on: July 14, 2022, 02:52:42 PM »
This doesn't seem like a successor to the Skate series, it seems more like a reboot of the franchise away from an actual skateboarding game and towards whatever the fuck they just announced. Skateboarding Fortnite?

Nothing gold can stay.

fs_filip

• Rep: 2
« Reply #309 on: July 14, 2022, 02:55:16 PM »
Seriously wondering how an online game of skate would turn out in this game

Jebediah

• Rep: 116
« Reply #310 on: July 14, 2022, 03:01:20 PM »
i only really enjoyed online playing with friends in the old skate games

going into random lobbys and sum dude mongo pushing 30 trick lining glitching some gross abomination for the mega points took the fun out of online real quick

hopefully still a proper career mode where i dont have to interact with random intrnet humans

masturskater

• Rep: 20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #311 on: July 14, 2022, 08:43:07 PM »
Yeah, definitely bummed this is going to be an online experience. With the announcement that it was coming to PC, I had high hopes that i would finally be able to take skate. on the go with my Steam Deck. doesn't seem very likely now.

I don't doubt it will be a fun experience, but definitely wish they could've stuck to a conventional paid release with optional DLC. I think going free to play due to accessiblity is the worst copout. I really wish they would have just done a conventional paid release with optional DLC.

I will definitely be playing, but when the shenanigans get too overwhelming with the online community i'll propbably shut down real quick.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #312 on: July 14, 2022, 08:48:57 PM »
This doesn't seem like a successor to the Skate series, it seems more like a reboot of the franchise away from an actual skateboarding game and towards whatever the fuck they just announced. Skateboarding Fortnite?

Nothing gold can stay.

That's already what Skate 3 was. This is just expanding and leaning into those "casual" zany aspects.

I loved how down to earth and true to skateboarding Skate 1 was. Skate 2 felt like a lazy forced sequel. Skate 3 was actually very good, but they jumped the shark a bit (as they acknowledged) to appeal to a wider audience and they also didn't finish the game (custom levels being only 20FPS? What the fuck?!). Its going to be difficult to enjoy Skate 4 fully if it doesn't get dual stick controls, but it looks like the skateboarding will still be worthwhile.

I don't know. I think Skate 4 will probably be... fine. But what I'm really bummed about is that SkaterXL was abandoned, and Session is possibly getting ruined by the publisher before it even comes out... and I don't think EA can let a game that is driven by player passion just -exist- anymore without some sort of manipulative exploitation of that passion.

I'm just so fucking sick of Capitalism. Honestly. Who at this point sees our society and goes "yeah, this is alright". Even our "bread and circuses" are going to shit these days. There is no escape from how shit Capitalism is. Even the games that once brought me a distraction from it are just saturated with microtransactions and in-game currency at every turn. I'm just so over it.

Worst of all, we won't even OWN this game. When (not if) EA shuts down the servers, the game is gone for ever. No physical copies to play. Its just gone. This economic model is not suitable for life-sustaining parts of life like healthcare, housing, food... it can't even handle making videogames in a way that isn't awful.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1342
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #313 on: July 14, 2022, 11:24:46 PM »
Colin McKay skateboard guitar emote
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #314 on: July 15, 2022, 01:08:24 AM »
Its on PC, and that means its gonna be moded as fuck, and that is all that matters. Moders are gonna take care of this, EA just gives the base game, and the rest is on community. Of course, I expect a shitload of neon green skaters doing combos for 10000000 points, but also, this is EA, not some super small studio, like SXL/Session guys, so the map/world is probably gonna be huge and tight, and if moders take care of it, this has huge potencial.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #315 on: July 15, 2022, 02:46:51 AM »
Its on PC, and that means its gonna be moded as fuck, and that is all that matters. Moders are gonna take care of this, EA just gives the base game, and the rest is on community. Of course, I expect a shitload of neon green skaters doing combos for 10000000 points, but also, this is EA, not some super small studio, like SXL/Session guys, so the map/world is probably gonna be huge and tight, and if moders take care of it, this has huge potencial.

If its online only, it might be hard to pull off.

Look at what it takes for modders to get old MMO's up and running again. Basically unless you have a "man on the inside" at the company, it can be really hard (or impossible) to preserve online-only games.

Hopefully this is not the case for Skate.

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #316 on: July 15, 2022, 07:06:50 AM »
Can't wait to set up my board. I'll be buying loot boxes to get all my legendary gear. Legendary grip tape with +15 to flip speed for quadruple flips. Legendary bearings with the +25 speed bonus. Of course I'll try to pull the epic Lil Wayne supreme deck which is BiS. Probably go with Supreme grip that gives 15% more Tok Tik views and likes.

krookedjuice

• Rep: 31
« Reply #317 on: July 15, 2022, 07:22:01 AM »
as long as i don't HAVE to play online i'll try it. and at least if it sucks (which it looks like it will) i won't be out any money.

they could have made something good and instead focused on letting people build absurdly stupid mega ramps.

doyle

• Rep: 213
« Reply #318 on: July 15, 2022, 08:28:51 AM »

A few things from the video to keep in mind about the free-to-play aspect, as well as the fact that the devs are very actively made aware of feedback and response from people in the playtests, people in the comments sections, even people in this thread ;).

newguy

« Reply #319 on: July 15, 2022, 11:28:36 AM »
Expand Quote

Nothing gold can stay.
[close]

That's already what Skate 3 was. This is just expanding and leaning into those "casual" zany aspects.

I loved how down to earth and true to skateboarding Skate 1 was. Skate 2 felt like a lazy forced sequel. Skate 3 was actually very good, but they jumped the shark a bit (as they acknowledged) to appeal to a wider audience and they also didn't finish the game (custom levels being only 20FPS? What the fuck?!). Its going to be difficult to enjoy Skate 4 fully if it doesn't get dual stick controls, but it looks like the skateboarding will still be worthwhile.

I don't know. I think Skate 4 will probably be... fine. But what I'm really bummed about is that SkaterXL was abandoned, and Session is possibly getting ruined by the publisher before it even comes out... and I don't think EA can let a game that is driven by player passion just -exist- anymore without some sort of manipulative exploitation of that passion.

I'm just so fucking sick of Capitalism. Honestly. Who at this point sees our society and goes "yeah, this is alright". Even our "bread and circuses" are going to shit these days. There is no escape from how shit Capitalism is. Even the games that once brought me a distraction from it are just saturated with microtransactions and in-game currency at every turn. I'm just so over it.

Worst of all, we won't even OWN this game. When (not if) EA shuts down the servers, the game is gone for ever. No physical copies to play. Its just gone. This economic model is not suitable for life-sustaining parts of life like healthcare, housing, food... it can't even handle making videogames in a way that isn't awful.

It's a feature, capitalism is basically flawed by design and constantly needs new markets to evade the contradiction of exponential growth (impossible). What you and I are witnessing right now is those contradictions widening so fast that capitalism entered a death loop, where it tears itself apart to keep the line going up (the whole disruptive tech bullshit is basically that). So micro transactions, DRM bullshit, licensing games and movies, streaming everything and all the stupid bullshit Silicon Valley is pumping out is a desperate move to keep the treats flowing. Unfortunately for these morons, reality doesn't give a shit about any of that and their shitty system is falling appart as I type this.

newguy

« Reply #320 on: July 15, 2022, 11:30:01 AM »
But yeah enough doom posting, I think it would be cool to hold contests for players to design their own graphics and all.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #321 on: July 15, 2022, 11:59:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Nothing gold can stay.
[close]

[close]

It's a feature, capitalism is basically flawed by design and constantly needs new markets to evade the contradiction of exponential growth (impossible). What you and I are witnessing right now is those contradictions widening so fast that capitalism entered a death loop, where it tears itself apart to keep the line going up (the whole disruptive tech bullshit is basically that). So micro transactions, DRM bullshit, licensing games and movies, streaming everything and all the stupid bullshit Silicon Valley is pumping out is a desperate move to keep the treats flowing. Unfortunately for these morons, reality doesn't give a shit about any of that and their shitty system is falling appart as I type this.

This guy dialectical materialisms.

Exactly. I hate to point to things as silly as entertainment to underscore serious issues, but man, the fact that big movies and games have been pretty creatively bankrupt for 15 years is wild to me. Mainstream music has been unlistenable for about 20 years now... It's like this stage of Capitalism is allergic to any creatively or humanity being involved in the production process anymore.

I just hope we are able to change things for the better soon.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #322 on: July 15, 2022, 03:07:24 PM »
Agree with the above posters. What I am finding is that I increasingly care less and less about popular culture due to the wholesale worsening of it all over the last decade or so.

I'm watching a bunch of older movies, discovering new bands and genres from all sorts of eras, and reading stuff irrespective of it's publishing date. Great news is that it's impossible to watch every movie ever made, play every video game, etc so there is no shortage of new-to-you stuff from the past to discover.

Watching Netflix shows that come out nowadays is jarring as a result haha. The solution is to just disconnect from it entirely.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #323 on: July 15, 2022, 03:54:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Nothing gold can stay.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Exactly. I hate to point to things as silly as entertainment to underscore serious issues, but man, the fact that big movies and games have been pretty creatively bankrupt for 15 years is wild to me. Mainstream music has been unlistenable for about 20 years now... It's like this stage of Capitalism is allergic to any creatively or humanity being involved in the production process anymore.

My Fair Lady and Jefferson Starship would like a word... Not disagreeing with any of the critical points, but pop culture has always been bankrupt and catered to idiots and children. Sometimes it can be head-bobblingly enjoyable, mostly it's shit.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #324 on: July 15, 2022, 04:40:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Nothing gold can stay.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

My Fair Lady and Jefferson Starship would like a word... Not disagreeing with any of the critical points, but pop culture has always been bankrupt and catered to idiots and children. Sometimes it can be head-bobblingly enjoyable, mostly it's shit.

Absolutely. To be clear I'm not doing a "born in le wrong generation". But the late 60s/early 70s and the 90s all had way better mainstream culture than we've had post 9/11. Late 70s through the end of the 80s also had terrible mainstream culture, but it wasn't ONLY reboots/sequels and risk-adverse corporate calculations.

There is still really awesome underground/indie stuff coming out from all angles (especially in the 2020s) but its wild how just completely stripped of imagination/creativity modern mainstream culture is. The public imagination at large has to be affected by this, right? Like our ability to creatively problem solve and think of new solutions outside of art/media, right?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #325 on: July 15, 2022, 05:25:34 PM »

Absolutely. To be clear I'm not doing a "born in le wrong generation". But the late 60s/early 70s and the 90s all had way better mainstream culture than we've had post 9/11. Late 70s through the end of the 80s also had terrible mainstream culture, but it wasn't ONLY reboots/sequels and risk-adverse corporate calculations.

There is still really awesome underground/indie stuff coming out from all angles (especially in the 2020s) but its wild how just completely stripped of imagination/creativity modern mainstream culture is. The public imagination at large has to be affected by this, right? Like our ability to creatively problem solve and think of new solutions outside of art/media, right?

I think you could argue (not that I think you're arguing) that point for sure. From a sheer quantitative standpoint the absolute amount of crap - of which there's clearly never been more of - has a sort of illusory effect, where it feels worse or more bankrupt than it has before. It skews the ratio because 'worthwhile' mainstream stuff now has to be measured against a metric ton of literal shit, but the needle probably hasn’t moved much against the worthwhile column very much, if it all.. it’s just harder to see, and makes its impact softer. Which probably causes the kind of trickle down negative effects you mentioned.

As pointed out above, fatigue plays a massive (likely intentional) role. Hell, even being aware of this I fall victim to it… took me two years to watch Blade Runner 2049 cause I was burned out on being burned out, but at the end of the day, that fucker exists, a 100+ million dollar globally released (basically arthouse) movie in 2017. That’s wild. And enough of those little moments pile up where it keeps my innate cynicism in check.….Then I see there’s a TV show called “Fuckboy Island” and I think maybe I’m just talking out my ass, it’s a rollercoaster.

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #326 on: July 15, 2022, 06:32:17 PM »
Check this video. He has some points. Also i liked Thrasher game better than thps. Haye on.

masturskater

• Rep: 20
« Reply #327 on: July 15, 2022, 08:26:03 PM »
Managed to play an early build of the game. I know it's too early and it's not a finished product but here's my takewaways so far.

-I'm pretty sure Ishod is the main guy behind the mo-cap.
-Feels different. Definitely needs polish. Not satisfying to play at this point. You can tell they are looking to add a little more weight to the feel. Seems to depend on the situation. There are instances where your character is so lofty and floats away. It's inconsistent.
-Setting markers is annoying. Slower than before.
-I don't know why but one button is mongo and one button is regular push. They don't have X mapped to left leg and A mapped to right leg. X is regular push. A is mongo. EDIT: Figured out this is a setting that can be changed back.
-Haven't messed with parkour too much. But feels like their goal was to let you remake a William Spencer skate part.
-I was hoping for impossibles, but it's just a new 360 shuv animation.
-Switch stance stays switch indefinitely, or until you push again. Kinda cool.
-There seems to be a greater range of speed options in regards to pushing. Long hard button press gives you a really big hard push. 
- Game does not have its hooks in me from what I played. I was hoping it would feel good...but the physics still need work. I've spent a lot of time playing all of the skate games. It feels more different than familiar, not for the better. Feels like they're focusing more on the parkour aspect at the moment. Hopefully they'll focus on the skating again.
-

At this point I'd rather go back and play the older games right now. I hope they re-release them.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 04:07:54 AM by masturskater »

newguy

« Reply #328 on: July 16, 2022, 04:10:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Nothing gold can stay.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Wonder why you only ever see movies about the world ending in cinemas? Why every piece of mainstream media mostly ignores socio-economic parameters and societal superstructures (eg. racism, patriarchy)?

Well, Mark Fischer said it better than anyone else “It is now easier to imagine the end of the world than an end to capitalism”

Basically what I said earlier, profits are so tight these days that every single thing is cut in order to maximise the money printing. Sequels and reboots are safe, the story is already told, no need for script writers or a good story, it’s already been told a million times. No need to design new characters/costumes/sets/lighting systems etc. ABD.

Now there are gems in the sea of shit billionaire owned medias pump into our skulls. For example the series “Dark” on Netflix instantly established itself as one of the best of this century (watch it please  ;D). Or Idk, you’ve also got artists who aren’t fooled by the wool and actively call out the bullshit like Boots Riley and the movie he acted in recently “Sorry to Bother you” or bands like Death Grips etc.
Coming back to movies, what we’re in right now is the death of mid scale budget films, movies made with a consequent budget, but not blockbuster levels of gargantuan money. A24 is pretty much the only studio taking creative risks these days and they’re winning big because they’re the only ones doing it (!!).

Opposite you have Blade Runner 2049, one of the few blockbuster movie that took incredible risks and liberties with the source material and came out even better than the original with some strong underlying messages that escaped a lot of people (If those ideas were a bit more obvious I reckon it would never have been approved). And that movie flopped too because big studios are basically incapable of handling the creation of new movies, the advertising for Blade Runner 2049 was ridiculously small and allegedly deliberate, cos the studios involved didn’t believe it would make ANY money at all.

Video Games are even worse off, honestly just watch videogamedunkey’s recent E3 video. It’s just so blatantly obvious that the entire industry was engulfed in the same dynamics every other sector of society surrendered to. I seriously think you have to be brain damaged to look at that video and think things are fine (and i have literal brain damage!  ;D)

But it makes me hopeful to see many people aren’t duped and when I discuss theory irl with people all I encounter is interest and sometimes enthusiasm. Most of my friends told me they started reading lenin because of me and ive got more examples. I really don’t think this stupid system can go on much longer, Covid+supply chain fuckery+idiotic ukraine war sanctions have brought it to its knees, we just don’t see it yet.

scary

• Rep: -7
« Reply #329 on: July 16, 2022, 11:41:27 AM »
Ok admittedly i did not read the last few pages of this thread nor could i stomach the developer video.

1. Bro who the fuck cares about parkour? Hall of meat on skate 2 and 3 was fun for maybe 20 minutes, Then it  gets super old super quick.

2. They are fosho catering to the tricklining “COFFIN HIPPIE FLIP MEGA GAP Compilation” guys, while actual skateboarders are gonna be limited to what maybe 2/5ths of the actual map

3. The clothing and merch in game is going to be so fucking bad. Skating a revive deck, wearing polar big boys, and having cariuma level bad. Dill already told developers to eat shit and die in 2019, so no FA and I can’t imagine any other cool brand accepting the offer to be in the next skate.

4. ZERO and I mean FUCKING ZERO mention of making quarterpipes work like actual quarterpipes in game. So I can miracle whip 40 feet in the air off a 6 foot quarter but I can’t reliably disaster a qp? Lame

My biggest quip, and what I want to start discussion about is how new tricks will work... mainly impossibles. There is no feasible way that you can impossible with the current control layout without them adding a “hold down left trigger before you pop and you can access trick tier two. I have money on it that trick tier two is gonna have bullshit like dolphin flips,  old school kickflips, and the works. Fuck maybe with && in the mix they are gonna add bs freestyle in there.

Can’t wait to lobby up with some easy mode, high camera, douches rocking rick and morty griptape on welcome boards lol