Author Topic: Skate 4 Hype  (Read 45965 times)

Hevonen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
Re: Skate 4 Hype
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2019, 07:44:56 PM »
EA has renewed the Skate trademark for another 10 years. That's gotta mean something.

https://gamerant.com/ea-skate-trademark-renew/

Polygon chimed in about the rumors that a renewal could mean another Skate, and I thought this was a pretty funny paragraph:

Expand Quote
“Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, you’re dealing with a publisher or a major company that has in-house legal teams that are on monthly retainers that are just sitting there bored all day,” said Ryan Morrison, a founding partner of the Los Angeles-based Morrison Rothman firm, which specializes in intellectual property law.
[close]

If they didn't renew it, and someone else did, wouldn't it mean they couldn't sell skate1-3 anymore?

Speakr

• Rep: 61
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2019, 07:07:48 AM »
This is better news than I read yesterday, but they would be crazy to develop skate 4 now. With 2 (3 including Tony Hawks new game if it isn't something trash) competing games around in such a niche market,I highly doubt they'll start developing it now.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2019, 08:31:25 AM »
This is better news than I read yesterday, but they would be crazy to develop skate 4 now. With 2 (3 including Tony Hawks new game if it isn't something trash) competing games around in such a niche market,I highly doubt they'll start developing it now.

I dunno, I would definitely want to see a fully developed skate game with proper story and objectives. Skater xl and session are great, but they're strictly simulations for full on skate/gaming nerds, and I don't know if they're looking to develop past that. Just re-played through thug 1&2 recently, and it's just a totally different complete fun experience playing through a game like that imo.

Wouldn't expect much from Tony, dude will slap his name on anything at the moment. Probably a mobile

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2019, 12:55:01 PM »
They could just remake this with new graphics and save a lot of time and money. The branding would sell itself. This shit has supreme, cons, old workshop, amongst other culturally relevant brands.

You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2019, 10:38:33 AM »
Tbh i am more than happy with Skater XL. it is a way better control scheme than SKATE and allows you to do more shit. I just wish it had more polish, but for $20 fucking dollars i cant complain. Have just had it for a week and i am really enjoying it every day, i really want to get into the level design stuff. you will never be able to do that in an EA game. fuck EA

They could just remake this with new graphics and save a lot of time and money. The branding would sell itself. This shit has supreme, cons, old workshop, amongst other culturally relevant brands.

bro I made a vidoe part for thrasher about a year or two ago. check it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3XIcKzC3SY

i still have a copy. I can get you the ROM as well if you want to play it on your PC. game is straight fucking flames still holds up to this day so hard
ONTARIO CANADA

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2019, 10:44:21 AM »
Tbh i am more than happy with Skater XL. it is a way better control scheme than SKATE and allows you to do more shit. I just wish it had more polish, but for $20 fucking dollars i cant complain. Have just had it for a week and i am really enjoying it every day, i really want to get into the level design stuff. you will never be able to do that in an EA game. fuck EA

Expand Quote

[close]

i still have a copy. I can get you the ROM as well if you want to play it on your PC. game is straight fucking flames still holds up to this day so hard

I don’t have a PC but appreciate the offer, glad to see folks are keeping the dream alive 🤙

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2019, 08:53:46 AM »

Expand Quote

[close]

I have a PS Vita that is modded and allows me to play Thrasher Skate And Destroy on the go, it also allows me to play a ton of Tony Hawk games but Skate And Destroy is usually my go to when I want something more grounded.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2019, 07:03:35 PM »
i wish skater xl would make faster progress in regards to things like adding powerslides, wallrides, no complies, make manuals more smooth and fun, etc... i am still having fun with it but am getting more and more frustrated with the glitches that are inevitably still in there. i thought about buying sessions just to check that out as well since i thought the demo was pretty fun.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2019, 11:08:26 AM »
i wish skater xl would make faster progress in regards to things like adding powerslides, wallrides, no complies, make manuals more smooth and fun, etc... i am still having fun with it but am getting more and more frustrated with the glitches that are inevitably still in there. i thought about buying sessions just to check that out as well since i thought the demo was pretty fun.

apparently you can wallride, i just dont really know how to do it. i doubt it looks good in current state. i have asked the devs for powerslide as well i feel like that is a huge thing missing. what is wrong with manuals though? they seem fine to me
i appreciate the game still lacks a ton of polish. if it had the right funding it could be a really sick game
ONTARIO CANADA

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2019, 09:52:31 PM »
yeah i guess i've been fatigued from playing it for almost a year and sometimes i have this glitch where turning will lock up and this happens more often in some sessions than others, hasn't occured in other games so far though so it seems glitchiness from the game itself, not the controller. anyways, i am sure this will turn out great once it's finished.

i purchased session. yesterday and am having fun relearning it since playing the demo park. it seems more unforgiving than skater xl but at the same time you can't style out your tricks as easily as in skater xl. i think both games complement each other. a blend of the two would be pretty neat. i like session. manuals more, they feel more real somewhat and i like the skater's heaviness, makes it feel rugged. at the same time, skating curbs and ledges is way more enjoyable in skater xl and contrary to others i dig that in skater xl you have to wind up to 360 in flat. overall i feel like body turning is more controllable in skater xl.

i have tried to wallride in skater xl but so far no luck. wallies are possible for sure, but look weird and a small parking block like in the new california skatepark parking lot can send you flying out unrealistically high.

LUVS2SPWGE

• Rep: 3
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2019, 02:21:21 AM »
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=EA

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2019, 07:07:30 PM »

Theres a new TH game in the works? I hadnt heard of this

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2019, 04:02:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When was the last time a tony hawk game wasn’t garbage though?

Speakr

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2019, 08:10:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lizzie Armanto let it slip on her 9club episode. But yeah, Tony's recent track record isn't great.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2019, 01:48:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

While true the teenager in me keeps a tiny bit of nostalgic hope alive haha and ah yes I skipped Lizzies nine club so makes sense

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2019, 03:43:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2019, 12:46:32 PM »
2 was good and THUG 1 was actually pretty good i thought for a minute. but thrasher still shits on em all
ONTARIO CANADA

KRKD1

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2019, 05:58:50 PM »
2 was good and THUG 1 was actually pretty good i thought for a minute. but thrasher still shits on em all

Thug 1 was the best spot wise, followed by THPS4. Enjoyed the bro to flow to pro storyline too of the first underground game. Muska cameo was dope.

I like Thrashers control scheme.

But Street Sk8ers 1 and 2 was the shit.

Skate 4 is never happening.
Thank God 1,2,3 have decent replay-ability if you can get over the quirky animations and glitchy shit. I like the first skate so much I can deal with the setbacks. The second one is amazing but the colors are like gta 4 too dark and dreary for me at times. 3 is the opposite. To bright and the team aspect in career wasnt does.

Give me a skate game that's a combination of the best parts of 2 and 3s map that includes 1s story mode in a re release with all the shoes boards and apparel from the three and I'd buy it.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2019, 03:46:41 AM »

Yeah, neither Session or XL are as fun to just be on your board as any Skate game.  I want to be able to slappy into shit, extend that mechanic into wallrides too.  Like hold the left bumper when ollieing and you just bash.  Could make it powerslide on flat or slappy if theres a curb.  Then extend that into being a lip trick modifier so you dont ollie into a grind on a ramp. 

I also want a skate game that's loose and flows but there's no way either of these ones will do it, they're more focused around landing tricks rather than actual skating around & flowing on your board.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2019, 07:40:26 AM »
so here's a pros and cons about skater xl vs session. at this point

skater xl

pros:
-nice flick control
-better control of body rotation
-grinds and slides seem more natural
-general controls to pop off are a bit more intuitive
-mod friendly means a lot of content by the community
-i think it has a replay editor now?
-pretty good board physics

cons:
-no powerslides, wallrides, slappies
-glitchy turning, hard to line up for grinds sometimes
-general pushing around is unenjoyable and wonky
-the game looks bland as fuck, that goes for most animations as well
-only 2 official spots to skate, community maps can be glitchy

session.
pros:
-it feels less realistic to flick tricks but the impact of landing them seems more realistic in session. (?)
-manuals feel a little better than in skater xl
-some trick animations look pretty cool compared to skater xl, i love doing bs flips, they look nate jones like
-the level you can skate is really big and has famous spots rebuild in it, like brooklyn banks, looks pretty good, too
-wallies work better in this game
-more in game options to customize skater and skateboard than skater xl
-in game replay editor that works similar to those in the skate games
-actual stuff to do via challenge list
-some aspects of the controls are customizable

cons:
-it's not as freeflicking as skater xl, you basically do the right flicking motion, then the game will play off an animation, whereas in skater xl you control your feet independently. in session. the longer you squat down the higher you pop off, the longer you wind up for a spin via triggers the faster/more you will spin, with no real way to slow down and a somewhat weir window that makes it hard for me to do nice fakie fs flips. it's kinda hard to just 180 clean, often the skater would instead spin more like 270 degrees. you can customize how the triggers work but i haven't found a setting that is intuitive and works for me.
-that's the worst thing about this game. kind of locks you into flip animations and i feel like in skater xl you have more freedom to a)flick that board how you like and let it do his thing in the physics engine b)catch the board at any point with any of your two feet.

playing session. it's kind of like a mix from the gameplay from skate and thrasher:skate and destroy

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2019, 01:26:58 AM »

skater xl

pros:
-nice flick control

cons:

session.
pros:
-it feels less realistic to flick tricks but the impact of landing them seems more realistic in session. (?)
-some trick animations look pretty cool compared to skater xl, i love doing bs flips, they look nate jones like
-the level you can skate is really big and has famous spots rebuild in it, like brooklyn banks, looks pretty good, too

cons:
-it's not as freeflicking as skater xl, you basically do the right flicking motion, then the game will play off an animation, whereas in skater xl you control your feet independently. in session. the longer you squat down the higher you pop off, the longer you wind up for a spin via triggers the faster/more you will spin, with no real way to slow down and a somewhat weir window that makes it hard for me to do nice fakie fs flips. it's kinda hard to just 180 clean, often the skater would instead spin more like 270 degrees. you can customize how the triggers work but i haven't found a setting that is intuitive and works for me.
-that's the worst thing about this game. kind of locks you into flip animations and i feel like in skater xl you have more freedom to a)flick that board how you like and let it do his thing in the physics engine b)catch the board at any point with any of your two feet.

playing session. it's kind of like a mix from the gameplay from skate and thrasher:skate and destroy

Damn, thanks for this in depth assessment of both games. Would gnar if i could!! Still on the fence about purchasing any of these. I think i will wait it out.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:29:09 AM by SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2019, 08:12:05 AM »
Still waiting on session for Xbox, early December is here and haven’t heard anything other than the last late nov / early December

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2019, 08:56:43 PM »
Thrasher was the only skate game I loved. Had a darker vibe to it and the soundtrack was great.

Audrey II

• Rep: 14176
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2019, 11:50:45 AM »
hell yeah skate 4 looks sick!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVm2rN1oMIg
You got questions? Ask me like a fucking man. You know my Insta.

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2019, 08:31:23 PM »

skater xl

pros:
-nice flick control

cons:

session.
pros:

cons:

Skater XL controls give you the ability to tweak/ move your feet with how you land with the joysticks. It also lets you control the direction of your flick based on how you do it... You can rocket stuff or bone it out based on the direction of your flick so it's not just animations. You can do any trick a bunch of different ways. That's why I like Skater XL better personally. You can make your own style if you take the time to fuck around.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2019, 11:38:56 AM »

I hope there is a titty cheat code like Tomb Raider for this.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Speakr

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2019, 02:01:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

God I'd love to be able to play with these.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2019, 02:27:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

God I'd love to be able to play with these.

If the physics weren't so shitty on this, actually not a terrible game concept. Reminds me of those army men games where you waged war with rubberbands and shit.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2019, 11:50:01 PM »
Fuck that Thrasher game was good...

Got a pirated game that said “3 in 1 Skate” in sharpie for my PSOne. must’ve been like 4 bucks at the time? came with THPS 1 & 2, plus the Thrasher game. That single, cheap, shiny disc got me into skating.

Great memories.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Dr Dew

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2020, 05:35:27 PM »
I really wanted to like both session and skater xl, but came to conclusion that they are trash and will never be much better. Just not fun to play for any long period of time. Compare to the ea skate series I can play endlessly.

Waiting for skate 4.

Like that guy in Charlie Brown waiting for the great pumpkin to come down from the sky.