Author Topic: Skate 4 Hype  (Read 45953 times)

DannyDee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
Re: Skate 4 Hype
« Reply #360 on: July 27, 2022, 01:10:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I doubt gaming developers will unionize. Gamers and twitch streamers often care little about systematic issues, Destiny, Vauch (sp?), Hasan probably the only one on twitch advocating unions but is not really a gamer
[close]

Gamers =/= Game Developers

Trust me, Game Developers are all talking about unionization right now. Especially the ones just entering the industry right now during this youth-driven unionization wave around the country. The most vocal minority of gamers who post toxic consumer manbaby takes on social media... Those are the ones who harass and send death threats TO Game Developers. Their self-centered/childish/toxic views are not representative of the people making the games.

Also, fuck Destiny/Vaush. Pieces of shit. Hasan is cool though.
[close]

There is a culture behind games and twitch seems to be fostering the youths…xqc and faze clan are all these kids favorites,  hasan is smart but his narcissism gets me- he talks about himself way too much.  Also for large gaming studios and developers i think there is a still a lack of diversity…still mostly rich white males controlling the market/business

edit: this just came out today, find that Wolff has the best takes on unionizing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zllszGf20Is
Progress will be slow but its happening. Sony's latest studio acquisition to develop live-service games is led by a female (Haven Studios in MTL led by Jade Raymond). I believe MS has a few women in pretty prominent roles under Phil Spencer. The biggest darling indie studio at the moment is led by I believe an Indian-American (Supergiant, studio behind Hades). Part of the issue is legacy problems from with people who entered the business in the early to mid 90s now reaching the top of the field when it was primarily white men entering the business in NA. Outside of Japanese developers, I can't really think of any diverse legends from that era outside of John Romero behind Doom.

City of Drunken Totems

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #361 on: July 27, 2022, 11:36:45 AM »
So I haven't been following this as closely as I would have like 5 years ago when I cared more, but having seen bits here and there it looks like they had to basically start from scratch on all the animations? It looks worse than skater XL, I assume with how they ended things with Black box previously most of that team told them to fuck themselves. I'm pretty oblivious to this whole loot box discussion but it doesn't even seem like the same game and if they're as focused on pleasing little streamer kids who have never skated in their lives this could be awful.

Also how much do you think they had to pay Cuz to come back?

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #362 on: August 01, 2022, 01:47:51 PM »
So I haven't been following this as closely as I would have like 5 years ago when I cared more, but having seen bits here and there it looks like they had to basically start from scratch on all the animations? It looks worse than skater XL, I assume with how they ended things with Black box previously most of that team told them to fuck themselves. I'm pretty oblivious to this whole loot box discussion but it doesn't even seem like the same game and if they're as focused on pleasing little streamer kids who have never skated in their lives this could be awful.

Also how much do you think they had to pay Cuz to come back?

I mean the build that leaked was from last September I think? They're definitely not spending early work on fine tuning animations, that'll come later

Tbh it looks like Skate 3 to me... I don't know if people just have rose-tinted glasses or what but I'm very surprised to see you say it doesn't even look like the same game because to me it does and that's a negative

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 472
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #363 on: August 02, 2022, 08:30:14 AM »
Cuz came back for 6 free bagels

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -480
« Reply #364 on: August 06, 2022, 11:20:18 AM »
It’s gonna be a bs f2p p2w mobile game. Don’t get too hyped. It’s still EA.
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

hesh lesbians 4 president

« Reply #365 on: August 06, 2022, 01:33:41 PM »
do they still have OG ppl working on it? i have mixed feelings b/c ea usually finds a way to ruin their games

doyle

• Rep: 210
« Reply #366 on: August 06, 2022, 02:17:20 PM »
do they still have OG ppl working on it? i have mixed feelings b/c ea usually finds a way to ruin their games

Quite a few people yeah, notably creative directors Cuz and Deran who were part of all three original games.

hesh lesbians 4 president

« Reply #367 on: August 06, 2022, 02:35:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Quite a few people yeah, notably creative directors Cuz and Deran who were part of all three original games.

okay thats sick, i vaguely remember those 2, that leaves me a lil more hopeful. ive never had so much fun with a games physics b4, like damn. it has good depth.

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #368 on: August 08, 2022, 04:26:52 PM »
Even though I wasn't super excited about so mucn of the game being marketed as a building/parkour game I gotta say fucking around with this stuff is so much fun.

https://streamable.com/6a4dxi
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #369 on: August 08, 2022, 07:05:07 PM »
Even though I wasn't super excited about so mucn of the game being marketed as a building/parkour game I gotta say fucking around with this stuff is so much fun.

You on the beta test?

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #370 on: August 09, 2022, 09:15:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You on the beta test?

I think this is still pre-alpha just updated. It’s a program called skate.world that has the play test in a launcher with multiplayer.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #371 on: August 09, 2022, 07:43:00 PM »
Serious question after playing skate xl and session does going back to skate feel like Tony hawk? Or still feel fun and challenging?

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #372 on: August 09, 2022, 11:59:06 PM »
Serious question after playing skate xl and session does going back to skate feel like Tony hawk? Or still feel fun and challenging?

I don't mean this in a "its too easy" way, but its so hard to go back to Skate. The new controls make SO much sense once you get used to them, that the Skate controls feel like they don't make sense and are an over-simplification that isn't as logical.

Its really hard to go back to Skate honestly.

Tony Hawk is still fun to go back to because its going for something else entirely. Skate feels like its going for what Session/XL are going for, but only going half way.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #373 on: August 10, 2022, 01:00:43 AM »
The Skate controls in 2022 aren’t fun at all. A mix of skater XL with Sessions switch control would be perfect for skate but they’ll never do it. I hope someone does though

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #374 on: August 10, 2022, 08:25:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't mean this in a "its too easy" way, but its so hard to go back to Skate. The new controls make SO much sense once you get used to them, that the Skate controls feel like they don't make sense and are an over-simplification that isn't as logical.

Its really hard to go back to Skate honestly.

Tony Hawk is still fun to go back to because its going for something else entirely. Skate feels like its going for what Session/XL are going for, but only going half way.

Yeah, Tony Hawk is basically an arcade game. You could swap the skateboard out for basically anything and it wouldn't change the gameplay, it's all about combos. The whole thing with Skate was to make a game that was actively trying to feel like skateboarding does and it did at the time but if they're not going to evolve the core gameplay then I have no interest in a world where Skater XL and Sessions exist. The career mode and online features aren't going to be enough to make me want to play it.

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #375 on: August 13, 2022, 11:48:36 AM »

I feel like it's a nice middle ground. XL has the most satifying controls out of all the skating games that have come out over the past few years, but the single stick controls are still is fun to me. I do think the fun of the game is gonna burn out much faster since they've had the exact same control scheme for over a decade now with not much improvement to the overall feel of the game.

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #376 on: August 23, 2022, 05:32:03 PM »
The playtest of the game that came out today feels so much better than the early leaked pre alpha builds. The gameplay and trick animations/transitions for the most part are much smoother than the past three Skate games, the grabbing feels weird, and delayed but I'm guessing that'll be fixed in the final product. It still feels floaty but much better than the earlier builds. The map (if this is what the final product will be) is a mashup of some of the old Skate's previous spots with various New York/San Francisco spots and neighborhoods.

It seems you're gonna have to be online all the time to be able to play, similar to Steep. I don't understand why modern games do this but it's one of the most annoying tropes in modern gaming today. There's a battlepass like progression/reward system it looks like "get to X tier to get this item". I think they're gonna monetize that in the same fashion most games like Fortnite, etc. do being able to buy tiers to level up. With it being free to play I already don't have a good feeling about the game as a whole, but the gameplay itself is pretty good. I think it'll be a good game but not an exact following in the foot steps of the past Skate games.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #377 on: August 24, 2022, 12:17:34 PM »
The playtest of the game that came out today feels so much better than the early leaked pre alpha builds. The gameplay and trick animations/transitions for the most part are much smoother than the past three Skate games, the grabbing feels weird, and delayed but I'm guessing that'll be fixed in the final product. It still feels floaty but much better than the earlier builds. The map (if this is what the final product will be) is a mashup of some of the old Skate's previous spots with various New York/San Francisco spots and neighborhoods.

It seems you're gonna have to be online all the time to be able to play, similar to Steep. I don't understand why modern games do this but it's one of the most annoying tropes in modern gaming today. There's a battlepass like progression/reward system it looks like "get to X tier to get this item". I think they're gonna monetize that in the same fashion most games like Fortnite, etc. do being able to buy tiers to level up. With it being free to play I already don't have a good feeling about the game as a whole, but the gameplay itself is pretty good. I think it'll be a good game but not an exact following in the foot steps of the past Skate games.

are you playtesting on console or PC? they opened the surveys for playtesting on console last week but havent heard anything back
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #378 on: August 24, 2022, 03:03:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

are you playtesting on console or PC? they opened the surveys for playtesting on console last week but havent heard anything back

PC, I think they opened the surveys for PC three (?) weeks ago. So the play test for consoles shouldn’t be too far off if they’re not already out, I don’t really know how the rollout plan is since it’s hard to find any info online about the new build.

busstopmag

• Rep: 16
    • BusStop avatar image
« Reply #379 on: August 25, 2022, 08:34:05 PM »
The new playtest is live now til tomorrow.
I've been watching a friend play it and it seems really buggy still.
360 flips seem really robotic, like someone trying to do one in a line really quick before doing another trick. but you can kickflip high and good.
Really though just seems stiff and doesn't flow like the old games.

My friend says it's terrible and not fun to play but I think if you are younger and maybe are into parkour and shit you might like it. You can roll around in a ball on command and baseball-player slide and grab things.

one thing I will say that is cool is they have more bail animations that aren't some stupid ragdoll/instant death stuff, like running out of a bail or rolling. but it still sometimes has you like, flail and temporarily just flop and flip around.
They have zones where you can make all kind of shapes, but just like the old game it never makes anything good or realistic. actually it's worse. It's like skating a skatepark where people threw a bunch of benches in the bowls and dumpsters are in the way of everything.

really seem to be pushing some harsh gear, probably will be microtransactions or some kinda currency. everyone looked like tennis players in short shorts.
Overall it just seems really weird to play. I only played myself for a minute or two but I watched for a good while.

nollieflip

• Rep: -17
« Reply #380 on: August 30, 2022, 04:19:46 AM »

Try playing Skate 3 after you got comfortable with the skater XL controls. For me it was really frustrating. Either they include an option where you can use a similar control scheme as Skater XL, or I'll pass. But seeing how it's a completely different type of game I'm not counting on it.

busstopmag

• Rep: 16
    • BusStop avatar image
« Reply #381 on: August 30, 2022, 06:32:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Try playing Skate 3 after you got comfortable with the skater XL controls. For me it was really frustrating. Either they include an option where you can use a similar control scheme as Skater XL, or I'll pass. But seeing how it's a completely different type of game I'm not counting on it.

I really do think that Skater XL has the best controls out of all the games. I don't know if we'll be seeing much more from that team. Honestly I would really love if Session would add that control scheme to their game. They seemed to do pretty ok at adding the EA Skate style controls.
I think Session with the Skater XL controls would be the perfect game. I just can't get into those default no-thumbstick-steering rad moves that people do.

(although I bet gyro could work =0 - I have a steam deck and a switch so I'm really into gyro)

doyle

• Rep: 210
« Reply #382 on: September 09, 2022, 01:05:31 PM »

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #383 on: September 09, 2022, 01:29:40 PM »
the water tower gap at 1:00 lol

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #384 on: September 09, 2022, 01:32:36 PM »
Oh joy, more parkour bullshit

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #385 on: September 11, 2022, 09:00:32 AM »
they just successfully killed all hype for that game.

i'm good love, enjoy.
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #386 on: September 17, 2022, 02:06:37 PM »
I wish they fixed the grinds so they actually pinched correctly. All the truck grinds pinch in the center of the truck and it looks stupid as fuck.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #387 on: September 17, 2022, 04:54:26 PM »
The way the Ollie’s suck up with a little boost at the top still fucking sucks too.

I’m at peace with a dumb physics skateboarding game as session is turning out so good but it’s just too fuckin goofy.

switchfakie

« Reply #388 on: November 14, 2022, 02:53:06 PM »
i heard this shit is free to play

really bummed about that, i dont wanna have to pay for microtransactions and shit

i can see it now "cop a hockey graphic for in game 500 tokens" (equivalent to 10usd)

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -270
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #389 on: November 15, 2022, 08:19:08 PM »
As long as there’s lots of maps I’d pay for whatever. But now the new skate games are out, the EA skate controls seem lame