Author Topic: Skate 4 Hype  (Read 45967 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Re: Skate 4 Hype
« Reply #390 on: November 15, 2022, 10:02:57 PM »
As long as there’s lots of maps I’d pay for whatever. But now the new skate games are out, the EA skate controls seem lame

Yeah I don't think I can go back to the dumbed down controls.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

bluntfullofmid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #391 on: November 16, 2022, 08:10:20 AM »
As long as there’s lots of maps I’d pay for whatever. But now the new skate games are out, the EA skate controls seem lame
tried playing Skate 3 for the first time since Session came out and the controls seemed so foreign
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #392 on: November 16, 2022, 05:59:35 PM »
another "Board Room" live event happenin tomorrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdQ7toIqDV4
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #393 on: November 17, 2022, 10:22:46 AM »

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -270
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #394 on: November 17, 2022, 12:28:00 PM »
Crazy how awful they make it look.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #395 on: November 17, 2022, 01:06:55 PM »
yea that looks terrible

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #396 on: November 17, 2022, 03:01:58 PM »
Hot take at a glance; pants are too tight for the current meta
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Jebediah

• Rep: 110
« Reply #397 on: November 17, 2022, 03:09:58 PM »
It's always such a drag when they do a follow up to classic games that don't match their predecessors. I haven't played so I don't know how it feels, but the physics in everything I've seen so far look terrible compared to the old games.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #398 on: November 17, 2022, 03:22:41 PM »
Crazy how awful they make it look.

It’s still in testing

Jebediah

• Rep: 110
« Reply #399 on: November 17, 2022, 03:29:38 PM »
That November play test video actually does look like an improvement compared to some vids I was watching last night. Less floaty and more natural looking. I'm definitely giving it a try when it comes out, just going to have to see how it feels.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #400 on: November 20, 2022, 09:42:17 AM »
is this all because it will be multiplayer based? this is the way its gonna look? characters look choppy/floaty/unnatural and the skins in the map look basic, edgy and not realistic. honestly doesnt look nearly as good as skate 2 even

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #401 on: November 20, 2022, 02:23:52 PM »
is this all because it will be multiplayer based? this is the way its gonna look? characters look choppy/floaty/unnatural and the skins in the map look basic, edgy and not realistic. honestly doesnt look nearly as good as skate 2 even
Physics may look off which may hold. But, Graphics tend to be the last thing they fix in games, and I think this is still in alpha and at best early beta. Modern AAA development is to get the underlying game working how you want (physics, gameplay, map layout, story etc), and then either polish the graphics in-house or outsource to a studio in Malaysia to really polish it. Tons of games that look beautiful look like late PS2 or early PS3 games at this stage of development. Not, that I have much faith in EA overall especially with this going F2P.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #402 on: November 20, 2022, 05:29:32 PM »
Not gonna lie, seeing back 360 no complys, new trick animations and better lip trick physics has me pretty hyped. We'll see how it looks once the graphics are polished

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #403 on: November 21, 2022, 02:37:31 PM »
https://youtu.be/mruZ4Ea5EIw

0:49 leads me to believe that I'm not part of the target group for this "skate" game

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #404 on: November 22, 2022, 04:37:02 AM »
i heard this shit is free to play

really bummed about that, i dont wanna have to pay for microtransactions and shit

i can see it now "cop a hockey graphic for in game 500 tokens" (equivalent to 10usd)

If it's just skins then who cares. I'm fine with kids with rich parents paying thousands of dollars for stupid shit so I don't have to.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #405 on: November 22, 2022, 11:25:13 AM »
Serious question after playing skate xl and session does going back to skate feel like Tony hawk? Or still feel fun and challenging?

Makes me glad I never played  anything past skate 3. Though the game play does look pretty ass

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #406 on: November 22, 2022, 12:19:54 PM »
Expand Quote
i heard this shit is free to play

really bummed about that, i dont wanna have to pay for microtransactions and shit

i can see it now "cop a hockey graphic for in game 500 tokens" (equivalent to 10usd)
[close]

If it's just skins then who cares. I'm fine with kids with rich parents paying thousands of dollars for stupid shit so I don't have to.
The real thing is they likely either gatekeep career progression or just outright ignore it. How you design a F2P game to monitize it generally hammers the game from a single player aspect. While not free to play look at what EA has done to franchise modes in their sports franchises so people play ultimate team to buy stupid packs.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #407 on: November 22, 2022, 12:55:33 PM »
The mechanics look way too floaty. Like everyone’s character is tyshawn on his best day or something.

I love EA skate games but skating big gaps and stairs always looked weird because you catch the flip trick immediately and then carry it for the rest of the way down. I wanted to see slowed down flips timed with the size of the stairs/gap. But it looks like they haven’t fixed that yet.

What will make or break this game is the maps and spots. Skate 2s spots were usually believable and something you’d want to skate/ see skated in real life while still being impressive. Skate 3 has 30 stairs, Davis sized gaps, and massive banks every 10 feet. It’s why I always go back to skate 2.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 01:03:40 PM by willphansbiggestfan »

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #408 on: November 22, 2022, 01:04:14 PM »
Even though i still suck at Session, I can’t really imagine going back and just press a button to grind something

ralf_

• Rep: -32
  • yo
« Reply #409 on: November 22, 2022, 08:08:04 PM »
I'm a skate 1 head. pants look the best and so do 360 flips.
fun fun fun

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #410 on: November 23, 2022, 08:19:33 AM »

Skate 1 has the best map in my opinion. Agree on the pants and 360 flips, nollie 360 flips also
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #411 on: November 23, 2022, 09:37:56 AM »

And Mike Carroll’s overpowered kickflip. It might have been just as fast in 2 & 3 but I don’t remember.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

hl2

• Rep: -60
« Reply #412 on: December 23, 2022, 02:00:23 AM »
does anyone know if they have a 'Hardcore' option for the controls? it was in skate 3, and it made certain environments like pools way harder. i hope they fix the controls, i haven't played 4 but reading some of these posts has me worried

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #413 on: December 23, 2022, 05:20:13 AM »
Skate 1 still looks good. The Color palate was so spot on. Felt natural but kinda nostalgic.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #414 on: December 23, 2022, 06:00:24 AM »
Skate 1 still looks good. The Color palate was so spot on. Felt natural but kinda nostalgic.

Yeah I loved the aesthetic and color palette. And the saturation gets cranked when you're landing a bunch of tricks in a row. The music would get louder too. Lots of tasteful subtleties like that.

I also love that the OST was done by an ex-skater. Why am I forgetting who right now... oh I think it's Tommy Guerrero?

And each neighborhood has it's own subtle filter color. If I recall, downtown is blue/light blue. Old parts of town are brown/tan. Suburbs are maybe green/sun yellow-orange?

It had such stylish UI too which is rare in games.

That game had an awesome mix of realism and stylization. It was mostly real in ways that were true to skateboarding too.

Skate 2 was so ugly in comparison. It was desaturated and lacked style. Just kind of ugly brown desaturated "realism". I hated how every game from that era fell into the "brown = realism" trend.

You can tell there was so much love and care and pride put into the development of that first game that was not allowed in the second game (and for the most part the third game).

I feel like those early 360 games before the 2008 crash was the last time major publishers were allowing for some risk and artistry in their games like that.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #415 on: December 28, 2022, 11:30:18 AM »
https://streamable.com/circnn

played some skate 1 on emulator a while ago. its a fun break from skater xl
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #416 on: December 28, 2022, 11:47:11 AM »

What specs do you need to run that emulator? Gameplay looks very smooth for emulation
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #417 on: December 30, 2022, 10:58:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
What specs do you need to run that emulator? Gameplay looks very smooth for emulation

https://rpcs3.net/quickstart

I'm guessing it's RPCS3, it's very heavy on your computer's processor though.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #418 on: February 06, 2023, 02:24:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

not sure how into pc building/hardware you are, but I'm running a ryzen 7 3700x for my cpu and playing at 1080p is buttery. you can find it for like $150 new on like Newegg, probably cheaper on eBay or FB marketplace

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #419 on: February 06, 2023, 07:55:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

not sure how into pc building/hardware you are, but I'm running a ryzen 7 3700x for my cpu and playing at 1080p is buttery. you can find it for like $150 new on like Newegg, probably cheaper on eBay or FB marketplace
Thank you getting so specific. I have a Ryzen 7 5800x that came with the prebuilt I copped in 2021. I usually like to build my own and the mobo and case are pretty trash but I couldn't source a video card that year so I had to go with what I could get my hands on as my old machine was barely hanging on. Looking forward to playing around with this emulator!