Author Topic: Skate 4 Hype  (Read 45949 times)

ChompskyHonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
Re: Skate 4 Hype
« Reply #420 on: February 10, 2023, 08:33:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://streamable.com/circnn

played some skate 1 on emulator a while ago. its a fun break from skater xl
[close]
What specs do you need to run that emulator? Gameplay looks very smooth for emulation
[close]

not sure how into pc building/hardware you are, but I'm running a ryzen 7 3700x for my cpu and playing at 1080p is buttery. you can find it for like $150 new on like Newegg, probably cheaper on eBay or FB marketplace
[close]
Thank you getting so specific. I have a Ryzen 7 5800x that came with the prebuilt I copped in 2021. I usually like to build my own and the mobo and case are pretty trash but I couldn't source a video card that year so I had to go with what I could get my hands on as my old machine was barely hanging on. Looking forward to playing around with this emulator!

I gotchu bro. in all honesty with that cpu you're good to emulate pretty much any console with a functioning emulator rn, and prolly even ps4/xbone once those emulators are fully functioning. I was actually playing around with rpcs3 the other day and found out that they added a function to emulate the ps3 home menu. not sure if you can launch games from it, but it was pretty trippy navigating it with an xbox series x controller on a pc.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #421 on: February 16, 2023, 07:39:51 AM »
Had a stint with Session but the game is just so underbaked and has too many bugs to deal with to enjoy for any length of time. I booted up Skate 1 and have really been enjoying it. The game allows you to get into a flow state that the modern indie skate games just don’t have. I get the argument for more realistic physics and shit but when the game is borderline unplayable, what’s the point?

I wish we lived in an alternate reality where we could have a game made with as much love and care as Skate 1, but we all know skate. is going to be catering to YouTube gamer kooks/Cariuma enjoyers and have little appeal to actual skateboarders and especially not to jaded old farts like myself who miss the days before free to play, micro transactions, and streaming.

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #422 on: February 17, 2023, 08:49:01 PM »
I feel that bro. I love dicking around in session on modded maps but it's not like skate 1 or 2 where I can get in the flow state and just endlessly skate dream spots. also the music in session is fucking trash lol

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #423 on: February 24, 2023, 11:16:44 AM »
I was going through the PS store and noticed this game that got announced...It made me lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7eCwX8Nb_U

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #424 on: February 24, 2023, 01:29:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/zellah/status/1628759919020179458?s=20

I’m hoping this game falls between skate 1 and session / XL. So you can flow and feel loose, have turning be fun while still having good control. I’m happy with pre canned animations if it looks this loose and fun.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #425 on: February 24, 2023, 09:07:21 PM »

I’m hoping this game falls between skate 1 and session / XL. So you can flow and feel loose, have turning be fun while still having good control. I’m happy with pre canned animations if it looks this loose and fun.
I wonder who they are using for mo-cap this time. I believe the story for skate 1-3 was essentially they were gonna get most of the pros to try to do it, but probably didn't realize or were unaware not every pro has that deep a bag of tricks, so I think PJ mo-capped almost all the tricks.

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #426 on: February 25, 2023, 10:29:44 AM »
Looking for a capture artist if anyone here is interested: https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/177682/capture-artist-12-month-contract-role

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #427 on: March 01, 2023, 03:29:39 PM »

from the looks of it EA is piggybacking off of what made skate 3 have a resurgence, everything you can do off the board. said it before but i have no hopes that this will be a satisfying game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob3CLQcS4Hk
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #428 on: March 01, 2023, 03:37:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
from the looks of it EA is piggybacking off of what made skate 3 have a resurgence, everything you can do off the board. said it before but i have no hopes that this will be a satisfying game

Yeah this looks stupid as fuck and made for 12 year olds, like a parkour game with very little to do with skateboarding at all.

Just gonna soak up the vibes of Skate 1-2 and also hope the developers of Session can turn it into a complete and satisfying game eventually.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #429 on: March 02, 2023, 03:02:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yeah this looks stupid as fuck and made for 12 year olds, like a parkour game with very little to do with skateboarding at all.

Just gonna soak up the vibes of Skate 1-2 and also hope the developers of Session can turn it into a complete and satisfying game eventually.

EA show a small amount of clips involving climbing and suddenly it's a parkour game? It most likely stems from the fact that a lot of people were interested in out of bounds spots/normally inaccessible areas in Skate 3 via speed glitches, or that accessing certain spots would require having to use the object dropper to pretty much scaffold your way into them. It's also a playtest of a pre-pre-alpha version which is usually done to find bugs with physics/mechanics, not as a showcase of what the final game will be like. Personally I think it's a pretty cool addition and I don't know how a handful of climbing clips has lead you to dismiss the entire game so easily.

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #430 on: March 02, 2023, 02:04:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

EA show a small amount of clips involving climbing and suddenly it's a parkour game? It most likely stems from the fact that a lot of people were interested in out of bounds spots/normally inaccessible areas in Skate 3 via speed glitches, or that accessing certain spots would require having to use the object dropper to pretty much scaffold your way into them. It's also a playtest of a pre-pre-alpha version which is usually done to find bugs with physics/mechanics, not as a showcase of what the final game will be like. Personally I think it's a pretty cool addition and I don't know how a handful of climbing clips has lead you to dismiss the entire game so easily.

Agreed, the pre alpha or whatever the most recent playtest version was felt really solid even in the super early state of the game. And the parkour is actually fun if you don’t like it you can just choose to not use it.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #431 on: March 02, 2023, 06:44:56 PM »
I think all these progress videos are a mistake but they announced this game way too early and didn't want to have years of radio silence so they feel like they have to put something out... it just doesn't look great as-is but also it's pre-alpha and most games don't look great in that state

That said I doubt this is going to sway me away from Sessions or Skater XL

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #432 on: March 03, 2023, 12:56:15 AM »
How would anyone want to go back from a gameplay that is way closer to actual skateboarding (as in skater xl or session) and move back to just press a button for kickflips?
Don’t get me wrong - I loved skate 1-3 and the first thps games, when they came out. The were a Progression from old school skate games like the halfpipe in California games or skate or die. I never wanted to play those games again after thps released for example. Now thps and skate have  the outdated gameplay formula

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #433 on: March 03, 2023, 07:00:38 AM »
How would anyone want to go back from a gameplay that is way closer to actual skateboarding (as in skater xl or session) and move back to just press a button for kickflips?
Don’t get me wrong - I loved skate 1-3 and the first thps games, when they came out. The were a Progression from old school skate games like the halfpipe in California games or skate or die. I never wanted to play those games again after thps released for example. Now thps and skate have  the outdated gameplay formula

It could be fun for a little bit... I sometimes miss building a career and getting new sponsors and filming clips and stuff, but it's not going to hold my interest long term. If it weren't for it going Free to Play I likely wouldn't even try it but I'm definitely not going to spend money on it so there's nothing for me to personally lose.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #434 on: March 05, 2023, 03:45:12 AM »
The skating physics look like skating on a trampoline.  Absolute dogshit.  It'll be fun for a sec to do dumb shit, but that's it.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #435 on: March 05, 2023, 06:01:23 AM »
Is this going to be an open world online thing like Fortnite? I don’t like playing online with people so if that’s the case ,no thanks for me.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #436 on: March 09, 2023, 11:12:07 AM »
Your point doesn't make sense as a criticism of the Skate franchise. The whole reason anyone remembers Skate and why it made THPS look so cruddy when they were on the market next to each other is that Skate introduced moving the controls on to the sticks and flicking sorta like you would with a skateboard. Session and Skate XL have those controls because Skate did the R&D work.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #437 on: March 09, 2023, 11:19:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Your point doesn't make sense as a criticism of the Skate franchise. The whole reason anyone remembers Skate and why it made THPS look so cruddy when they were on the market next to each other is that Skate introduced moving the controls on to the sticks and flicking sorta like you would with a skateboard. Session and Skate XL have those controls because Skate did the R&D work.
I was talking about how the progression in gameplay makes older games less fun. Don’t know how you come to your conclusion.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #438 on: March 09, 2023, 11:26:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I was talking about how the progression in gameplay makes older games less fun. Don’t know how you come to your conclusion.
Fair enough. There is most definitely a curve that makes it hard to enjoy older games as controls evolve.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #439 on: March 09, 2023, 11:32:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Fair enough. There is most definitely a curve that makes it hard to enjoy older games as controls evolve.
That’s for sure - I recently played mass effect again. And while the dialogue and story is still kinda cool, it didn’t really age well. Same with the first three uncharted games. Everything felt clunky. That doesn’t mean I didn’t have a lot of fun with them, when they were released the first time.
And this goes for skate as well! I loved all three entries of the series.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #440 on: March 11, 2023, 09:02:18 AM »
I had lost most of my hype for this game until I saw this yesterday
https://twitter.com/skate/status/1634283318488489984?s=46&t=xamGAEijXca-5Xf4oAFT5g

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #441 on: March 11, 2023, 09:29:50 AM »
From march 14th I'm going to be a tester for this game! Cant wait

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #442 on: March 13, 2023, 08:10:03 PM »
If you were selected for Skate 4 playtest check your EA app you can pre install it now.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #443 on: March 14, 2023, 12:36:34 PM »
Playtest is pretty bad. Boring test skatepark, and tons of tricks you cant do

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #444 on: March 15, 2023, 06:49:03 AM »
The mechanics and tricks feel solid and certain tricks look better now but the whole free to play/live service/loot box trope that’s been in every major game over the past 5 years is fucking sickening. It feels like such a soulless cash grab in the works just made to peddle microtransactions. Instead of just doing story challenges to unlock new stuff you have to craft items like an MMORPG with credits called “Hype”. I had faith from the early playtest but this game is gonna fucking suck.

Also fun when you’re trying to skate a spot but can’t cause some dumbass wants to put a ramp and rail in front of it. Live service games need to die.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #445 on: April 20, 2023, 11:10:27 AM »
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

bugtown

• Rep: 47
« Reply #446 on: April 23, 2023, 01:24:16 AM »
First skate video game to incorporate slappys?

I don't like how "style" is mentioned as an unlock-able/paywalled cosmetic. They could have mob flips default in order to get your credit card details.

Hard to imagine going back after playing with Session controls but if it's FTP of course I'll give it a go

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #447 on: April 23, 2023, 08:55:33 PM »

I don't like how "style" is mentioned as an unlock-able/paywalled cosmetic. They could have mob flips default in order to get your credit card details.

Hard to imagine going back after playing with Session controls but if it's FTP of course I'll give it a go
In Skater XL you can do slappys in some custom levels at least
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Jawn Gyatti

• Rep: 6
« Reply #448 on: April 24, 2023, 09:56:43 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItE4vo3fXcQ

Idk why, but that video has a bad vibe like everyone involved is being held there against their will.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #449 on: April 24, 2023, 12:32:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
In Skater XL you can do slappys in some custom levels at least

Session is decent too when you adjust the low pop height