Author Topic: Marc Johnson on the nine club...  (Read 24925 times)

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238

perverted super otaku!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Marc Johnson on the nine club...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:56:24 AM »
Gonna assume it goes something like this
"So, there is one massively obvious question, and i'm not going to ask it"

edit: standing corrected...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:26:34 AM by perverted super otaku! »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:14:46 AM »
I'm at the last 10 min of it, and they do talk about it. It's a little heavy, definitely not how I expected Marc to go about it. Specially considering the last interview about it with Daewon he looked wacked out of his mind.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:21:44 AM by Monkey_Mcpott »

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 08:20:57 AM »
i didnt like it because they keep saying 18. fuck

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »
Kinda awkward to hear Roger talk about skate companies making shitty shoes with Kelly sitting right there.

It was a decent interview and I'm glad he finally addressed it, but nothing was really answered that we didn't already know. We know that he was asked to wait for his announcement, and we sorta have to assume that he agreed because otherwise why would Carroll wait until after the premiere to kick him off Chocolate and go off about it?

I don't really fault him for switching if things are really going poorly at Crailtap, but the whole controversy is how he did it and this doesn't really answer any of it.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 08:34:04 AM »
The audio isn't working for me...

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
Kinda awkward to hear Roger talk about skate companies making shitty shoes with Kelly sitting right there.

It was a decent interview and I'm glad he finally addressed it, but nothing was really answered that we didn't already know. We know that he was asked to wait for his announcement, and we sorta have to assume that he agreed because otherwise why would Carroll wait until after the premiere to kick him off Chocolate and go off about it?

I don't really fault him for switching if things are really going poorly at Crailtap, but the whole controversy is how he did it and this doesn't really answer any of it.
I think the answer that seems to appear is being shook by the death of his mother, alcoholism, debts/no savings to pay for life expenses. I can see what is priority was, and waiting 5 months and being diplomatic about it wasn't an appropriate road for him.

On the other hand, MC was/is strugglin, has seen all his major riders and designers (Jeff Mikut on NB, Scott Johnston on Lakai) leaving the boat, and thought having MJ in the team and barely paying him would help Lakai.

A lot of guys left Lakai, and there's a reason for that, the reason is money and opportunities.

Both are faulty for miscommunication, both made poor decisions, and both have their reasons to explain their respective shitty behaviours.

Can of Soup

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 09:25:19 AM »
Would love to see those detailed drawings of Marc's Emerica shoe--also pretty crazy to think of how much footage of his is lost, or how much footage of any pro really just gets forgotten or tucked away.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 09:39:33 AM »
Sounds like the situation was handled poorly by both sides. Sending smaller checks and pretending like it was an accident and then later being like oh yeah we need to give you a pay cut is just really shitty.

Pretty crazy that a 40 year old pro who's been insanely popular for the last two decades still lives check by check so bad that getting a pay cut for a few months is gonna financially collapse him... Sounds like dude is gonna be struggling hard when he eventually won't be able to skate on a top pro level

Don't know if I'm just getting older, but MJ is fucking annoying to listen these days. Had a hard time listening through all that which is rare for nine club. Will always be a fan of his skating though

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 09:42:08 AM »
Would love to see those detailed drawings of Marc's Emerica shoe--also pretty crazy to think of how much footage of his is lost, or how much footage of any pro really just gets forgotten or tucked away.

Probably hours.

Even just filming my friends there's soooo many clips that get logged and just sit on the hard drive because they've done better stuff, just messing around, didn't fit with the edit, etc. but when it comes to someone like Stranger or MJ or Gino...that type of thing is pure fucking gold. Crazy to think about.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »
I felt like we heard a lot of these answers and interviews from MJ. I didn't really hear anything new. I did like him talking about Wes' part. That part is a classic part.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:16:13 AM »
TLDL?

jimi420

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 11:00:57 AM »
TLDL?
Im living paycheck to paycheck, Lakai was fakin about my money, my mom died, I put my house up for sale, I got a kid to support.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 11:01:42 AM »
YO THAT END HAD ME DYING ....LMAO

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 11:10:51 AM »

Exactly. Although he said "I'm not a victim," all what he said was saying how he was a victim. Whatever, I knew they'd never actually get to the core of it, but oh well. I enjoyed the majority of that and will still always love Marc as one of my favorite skaters. Still on team Carroll regarding the debacle.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 11:14:17 AM »
Expand Quote
TLDL?
[close]
Im living paycheck to paycheck, Lakai was fakin about my money, my mom died, I put my house up for sale, I got a kid to support.

It was a lot more to it....the whoring of skating through social media-  Video Parts getting buried after a couple of hours of being uploaded and you give me a paycut expecting to have a hard on about churning out parts (gold).  

And asking someone to wait 5-6 months with little to no pay is unreasonable ...i would have left as soon as I got that first skimped check

It was funny hearing him talk about Go-Skate, I cant remember if it was Caswell who used to ride/work for them..or Aaron Vandenbulke
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:16:11 AM by Abyss1 »

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 11:28:07 AM »
MJ bringing Crob the ipad on a stand playing a 4.5 hour loop of the switch flip switch manny was AMAZING.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 12:31:49 PM »
MJ bringing Crob the ipad on a stand playing a 4.5 hour loop of the switch flip switch manny was AMAZING.

Crob's face lights up just at the mention of a gift.

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »
what was he looking at?
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

jexe

• Rep: -4
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 01:21:59 PM »
Ofcourse it's 2 hours long. Egotistical douchebag

GinosGroceries

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 01:55:43 PM »
Ofcourse it's 2 hours long. Egotistical douchebag

Did you even listen to it?

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thought he was finally getting a box from someone.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

Rick Sanchez

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »
Best one yet (apart from the reda one)

shit_for_brains

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 02:15:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thought he was finally getting a box from someone.

What's in your bag bro?

A.J.K.

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »
If what Marc is saying is true, which I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it is, then what Crailtap did is borderline illegal and justifies Marc's behaviour imo. Skateboarding is funny, because companies continually fuck over employees yet get no backlash. Like how many shit stories are there of Tum Yeto treating people like shit? Countless. Yet everyone is upset over Nike and Adidas.

Otherwise not a bad episode, and what they touched on re: online content is definitely worth thinking about, though will no doubt fall on deaf ears.

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 02:34:13 PM »
I wonder how much of his Fully Flared part was filmed drunk. Obviously skating drunk goes back to the beginning of its history but this dude was doing some ultra tech stuff.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 02:48:04 PM »
I back MJ

Although it's a shitty situation on both ends

Carroll is a fuckin millionaire out partying and buying shit like crazy, but he can't pay Marc to help him out? Even if the 5 months was off the books?

Marc's not egotistical at all. Quite the opposite in my opinion.

Anyways great episode and up next we have Marc on the weekend buzz pretty quick.

Gentleman ninja warlock

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »
I kind of wished they would have spoken about any of Marc's board sponsor situation. I mean unless no one wants to touch him but I would think any company would want him to ride for them. I would think Numbers would be the best fit for him with Eric and Guy but so want him back on Enjoi.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 03:19:52 PM »
Mj was in the right, and he is way sicker than MC or Crail in any and all ways

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 03:26:53 PM »
Pretty much what I expected him to say-misunderstanding!

The guy is a former SOTY with loads of pro shoes behind him. Had to be making 10k a month plus for a number of years, how the fuck is he living paycheck to paycheck?

Can see both sides but it fucks me off these skate companies think they can send out a light cheque and act like nothing happened!