Author Topic: Marc Johnson on the nine club...  (Read 24909 times)

RCB3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
Re: Marc Johnson on the nine club...
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 03:38:57 PM »
Mj was in the right, and he is way sicker than MC or Crail in any and all ways

So just because MJ was able to say something about the situation that he's had months to prep without Carrol next to him to argue points means that everything he says is perfectly correct? I'm not saying Carrol is perfect in this situation, but it's silly to just hear MJ's explanation as 100% truth without bias.

Also, I'm pretty sure the MJ shoe was one of the top selling Emerica shoes for a long period of time. With all of his sponsors throughout the year, and signature shoes on top brands, there's no way he hasn't made top %1 pro money in his career. Sorry if I don't sympathize with his paycheck to paycheck bs. He may well be, but then he blew through a shit ton of money somehow.

Irvine-Sucks.com

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 03:53:09 PM »
Pretty much what I expected him to say-misunderstanding!

The guy is a former SOTY with loads of pro shoes behind him. Had to be making 10k a month plus for a number of years, how the fuck is he living paycheck to paycheck?

Can see both sides but it fucks me off these skate companies think they can send out a light cheque and act like nothing happened!

My only guess would be he blew all his money on alcohol cause I'm sure other pros were making the same amount of money as MJ back in the day and saved so they wouldn't have to live pay check to pay check. Also you'd hope he'd have been spending money on his kid not spending it all.

Sarcasm

• Rep: -9
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
Have you guys seen his house? I guess I understand if the checks r a few grand. The part when he talked about skate videos no longer being special made me sad

Gabriel

• Rep: 12
    • website avatar image
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 04:02:25 PM »
Seems like MJ spends a lot of time overthinking what he is going through and not enough time talking to other people about it.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 04:09:02 PM »
Haven't listened to this yet but people are saying he talked about online parts/footy, the decline of full-length videos, etc. Did he say anything new and that hasn't already been said by almost every other pro? Or did he just say the same things but more rambling?

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 04:15:45 PM »
Expand Quote

The guy is a former SOTY with loads of pro shoes behind him. Had to be making 10k a month plus for a number of years, how the fuck is he living paycheck to paycheck?

Can see both sides but it fucks me off these skate companies think they can send out a light cheque and act like nothing happened!
[close]

My only guess would be he blew all his money on alcohol cause I'm sure other pros were making the same amount of money as MJ back in the day and saved so they wouldn't have to live pay check to pay check. Also you'd hope he'd have been spending money on his kid not spending it all.

He got raped in child support. Been there done that.
Gentleman ninja warlock

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 04:47:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

He got raped in child support. Been there done that.

A Mortgage in LA isn't cheap either

Grind King Rims

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 05:00:45 PM »
Hearing MJ casually say, "when you're in DT's..." so casually about delirium tremens was really subtly harrowing.

Cool that he was so complimentary of Wes Kramer's Crusty by Nature.

He talks about crailtap after 1:20:00 ish.

Sucks that they kept trying to steer him away from the heavy stuff. It came off really strange that as professional chat show hosts that they weren't ready for that. When he was talking about alcoholism ending his time at enjoi, they steered to his emerica shoe out of nowhere. Later they flat out said, "let's get back to the happy place" and "everybody knows you and everybody loves you". Maybe it was in that best interest of the show and the moral, and he did at times seem kind of unstable, but I don't think it was handled as well as it could have been. It seemed like he had more to say and was hushed.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 05:06:46 PM »
so there was somebody from Adidas there or remotely listening?

Changes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -220
  • #NeverForget
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 05:13:43 PM »
soon as they mention the Adidas thing, hes whole body language changes and looks down and fidgets with shit, I feel like he never tells for storys that are 100% true, still think there is more too it. thought they would address the Chocolate thing aswell and whats next for him, he kinda reminds me of Richie Jackson and all about himself, listening to him courses me to get anxious and frustrated, dudes strange and weird, great skateboarder but fuck I get like OCD watching and listening to him
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:16:29 PM by Changes »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 05:32:27 PM »
All the "he should have been better with his money" people need to take a step back, think about if you started getting less money from your boss every 2 weeks. How would you react? Asked to not get paid for 5 months? Nope.
you never know about pre-cum 

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 05:34:31 PM »
Hearing MJ casually say, "when you're in DT's..." so casually about delirium tremens was really subtly harrowing.

Sucks that they kept trying to steer him away from the heavy stuff. It came off really strange that as professional chat show hosts that they weren't ready for that. When he was talking about alcoholism ending his time at enjoi, they steered to his emerica shoe out of nowhere. Later they flat out said, "let's get back to the happy place" and "everybody knows you and everybody loves you". Maybe it was in that best interest of the show and the moral, and he did at times seem kind of unstable, but I don't think it was handled as well as it could have been. It seemed like he had more to say and was hushed.

It wasn't going to be Frost Nixon but I admire The 9 for addressing it. Chris doesn't have a bunch of sponsors at this point.
Kinda awkward for Roberts give a forum to discuss how his current boss crucified MJ.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 06:25:07 PM »
All the "he should have been better with his money" people need to take a step back, think about if you started getting less money from your boss every 2 weeks. How would you react? Asked to not get paid for 5 months? Nope.

Those two things aren't the same.

Living paycheck to paycheck literally means that if you miss a paycheck you can't live. If you have savings and you miss a check it's an inconviance and it would completely suck and justify him switching sponsor and all that, but a guy who's had a career like his and lived the way he has (I've seen his house in photos in some old interview in a mag and it was large and nice and I think it had a bit of land with it too) should have some money saved. I love MJ and his skating but if your income is say 10k a month and your living expenses are also 10k then that's mismanaging money, and that's living paycheck to paycheck.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 06:40:19 PM »
i love the nine club and listen to each episode, this was great to get MJ on the show and shed some light,
of course it couldn't be as brutal as it could be being Roberts is still employed by Chocolate but felt it was handled well.

In regards to his check to check living, Houses, kids, cars, bills & life all are expensive.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 06:40:51 PM »
Look at all these Marc Johnson experts

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2017, 07:23:44 PM »
did you people miss the dozen times when he said he has a fucking kid?  do you have any idea how much it costs to raise a child?  save for retirement?  pay a mortgage?  it also seemed like he was hinting at Emerica not really paying him that much despite designing one of their top selling shoes. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2017, 07:39:50 PM »
His house in Big Bear has been well documented, he had a handful of tricks from home built obstacles there in Fully Flared.

He obviously loves his son and his regret to not being there for birthdays and other events seems 100% genuine. C Rob mentioned he is good at skating, I wonder how old he is now. Bag of Suck came out 11 years ago and the kid looked to be around 5, so he may be approaching adulthood. Regardless- I can see Marc wanting to support him fully as he said himself he grew up poor as shit in NC.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

too much

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2017, 07:41:17 PM »
I bet Chris talked with Carroll well before the show, Chris is a smart guy, I wouldn't even speculate if he is in trouble with his boss. A couple of times at the end I thought Marc was going to cry even start balling, his voiced choked up at least once. I agree how he left after 15 years was insanely shitty and it's terrible the way the relationships are, maybe things are better, who knows.

So on to his side of the story.....Marc said Lakai breached his contract with the short pays because parts of his contract were non-negotiable? Then he gets a Fall pay cut so maybe that part of the contract, was negotiable? Then he gets a Spring pay cut shortly after and was given the ok to look for another shoe sponsor. He gets sponsored by Adidas but can't go skate because he is essentially skating for both brands and not sure what shoes to wear? But getting paid by neither at that point? Some of this is so unclear. This is where Marc's story gets confusing, why not 100% quit Lakai then? Maybe he thought Lakai was going to rebound? But in the meanwhile he will get the ball rolling with Adidas on the side? I don't know...I'm confused by the business side of Marc's explanation, but his reasoning to do what he did makes perfect sense, which is get a new shoe sponsor to support his life and son. How he went about it seemed to be in a disgruntled retaliation type towards Lakai, which after 15 years might have been a bad decision. Carroll called him a pathological liar multiple times in the Jenkem interview, still seems unclear. Marc said a few times he is often wrong about things.

Then right before the Away Days premier he films a couple of tricks for the video and according to Carroll in the Jenkem interview, Mike was reaching out to him and getting no answer right before the premier, and the night before Mike point blank texted Marc, will you be in the video and Marc said no. The only thing I can get out of this is these two guys must have been beefing hard from that past Fall to Spring and we don't know the whole story.

Anyways, Marc's early years and living with those dude stealing furniture from hotels was amazing, great story telling. Marc's in depth conversation about the state of video parts and online content was really in depth and well articulated. No one has talked about the issue in that much detail like Marc did in this episode. I think about it all the time too and I have concerns over friends putting out so much content on the daily that gives back no appreciative value in return like it's supposed to. I truly care about that and what it will do to their emotions down the road when all that hard work, mentally and physically goes to nothing, and to top it off they won't be able to find their videos unless they saved in on a hard drive.

dk

• Rep: 23
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2017, 07:42:46 PM »
Kinda awkward to hear Roger talk about skate companies making shitty shoes with Kelly sitting right there.

;D

doyle

• Rep: 212
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »
He obviously loves his son and his regret to not being there for birthdays and other events seems 100% genuine. C Rob mentioned he is good at skating, I wonder how old he is now. Bag of Suck came out 11 years ago and the kid looked to be around 5, so he may be approaching adulthood. Regardless- I can see Marc wanting to support him fully as he said himself he grew up poor as shit in NC.

https://www.instagram.com/averyjohnson__/

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2017, 07:46:18 PM »
did you people miss the dozen times when he said he has a fucking kid?� do you have any idea how much it costs to raise a child?� save for retirement?� pay a mortgage?� it also seemed like he was hinting at Emerica not really paying him that much despite designing one of their top selling shoes.�

Seems odd because heath must've done well enough off Emerica seeing how he hinted that he did well enough with his money to retire after skating if he wanted too. I don't want to get too deep into the guys life but it seems like marc's self destructive behavior brought him to where he's at in life. That said I wish him the best and hope to see at least one more 12 song part out of him

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:07 PM »

This happens often. My employer made everyone step a title (and pay grade) down and laid off all entry level workers. I'm surprised that a disgruntled worker didn't shoot the place up. Another past employer laid everyone off after the 2008 crash, however, they were upfront about their budget projections and how long we had to find new jobs.

shark tits

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if he's pathological liar, maybe his mother is still alive. and maybe HE was the alpha dogg who demanded the other nc boys steal furniture and move up and down the western seaboard.
ever think of that?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2017, 08:14:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Those two things aren't the same.

Living paycheck to paycheck literally means that if you miss a paycheck you can't live. If you have savings and you miss a check it's an inconviance and it would completely suck and justify him switching sponsor and all that, but a guy who's had a career like his and lived the way he has (I've seen his house in photos in some old interview in a mag and it was large and nice and I think it had a bit of land with it too) should have some money saved. I love MJ and his skating but if your income is say 10k a month and your living expenses are also 10k then that's mismanaging money, and that's living paycheck to paycheck.

You've seen his house. You're an expert.
you never know about pre-cum 

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2017, 08:16:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not sure what's going on here. I'm assuming the Asian kid in the profile photo is Avery Johnson but which clips are his (the most recent clip or the Torey Pudwill looking guy)?

splerm

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2017, 08:22:11 PM »
I dont think MC or MJ were in the wrong. They were just being themselves. Should have been "Just business, aint shit personal", but that is rarely practiced in real life.

On the topic of pay cuts, I always tried to gather all the employes at my workplaces and collectively ask for raises or do some strike type shit. Its a gamble, we all might get fired, but we all might get paid more. Theyrs always a few who arent willing to take that gamble though. I imagine with a skateboard team though, if everyone says "fuck that", that company is probably gonna go out of business if they dont comply. But then you have the issue of them not being able to pay more so its a weird thing.

Feel bad for him cause people were being super assholes when him mom died, calling him names and shit, thats pretty fuckin shitty. lol jeez.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not sure what's going on here. I'm assuming the Asian kid in the profile photo is Avery Johnson but which clips are his (the most recent clip or the Torey Pudwill looking guy)?

MJ's posted clips of Avery on his own feed and has tagged that account, so I'm assuming the profile picture is a joke.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2017, 09:02:31 PM »
Glad to here his side. It is a shitty situation all around. Crailtap is clearly failing (or was) and people are desperate to save what they built. MJ may of agreed to something, but then realized he had to act.

Glad to see the usual MJ is back and the rumors about him being a drunken mess again aren't true. Which seemed to be what people was inferring from MC's comments about "personal issues" in his Jenkem inteview. Hopefully, MC was just talking about the mother stuff, and not trying to have people infer what people ended up infering.

Also, I don't think MJ is married anymore, so if he is paying alimony and child support, especially on previous earning projections. He either has to go to court and pay for lawyers to lower his financial responsibilities or find a way to pay for it. These are real financial pressures, that add up quickly.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:53:23 PM by DannyDee »

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2017, 09:04:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

MJ's posted clips of Avery on his own feed and has tagged that account, so I'm assuming the profile picture is a joke.

I saw those clips, but you can't see his face. I know the mother of at least one of his kids is Asian, and being of that persuasion myself, I know those traits overtake the honkey side.

bandwayrules

• Rep: 2
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2017, 09:08:01 PM »

Well, I would guess a big part of that is they aren't professional chat show hosts, just some skateboarders dicking around with a podcast where they mostly just talk to their friends.