Author Topic: Marc Johnson on the nine club...  (Read 24713 times)

hufs calve muscles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Marc Johnson on the nine club...
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2017, 11:13:43 PM »
When you're a drunk you will blow all your money. No matter how much you make.

Does he have a board sponsor? I'm so out of the loop.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2017, 11:31:59 PM »
To me MJ will always be one of the goats, best style and trick selections, and compared to MC, MC has nothing on MJ. I've never been able to enjoy his parts I don't know why but he has always seemed like one those collegebros who never grew old. yeah he had one of the best lines ever but other than that mehh.. I don't believe that MJ is telling the whole truth but I'm certain crailtap has fucked people over. There's no way everyone has left if it wasn't for some shady shit.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2017, 12:56:26 AM »
Side note

I started skating in 2000. I remember thinking Marc Johnson was black because his portrait on an A-Team deck in the CCS Catalog made him look like a straight up black dude.

I can't find the board graphic on the internet anywhere but Tony Hark was doing an invert on the cover.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

asakusa75

« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2017, 12:57:44 AM »
Well spotted.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2017, 02:56:17 AM »

There was a big controversy a while ago when he switched from lakai to Adidas. It was announced in the away days video. Lakai was left with a large amount of a new order of MJ shoes that they obviously couldn't market with his name on them. Mike Carroll lashed out in a jenkem interview in the days following Away Days and publicly kicked him off chocolate. This video is the first time MJ has really responded. I think that's everything.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2017, 05:49:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There was a big controversy a while ago when he switched from lakai to Adidas. It was announced in the away days video. Lakai was left with a large amount of a new order of MJ shoes that they obviously couldn't market with his name on them. Mike Carroll lashed out in a jenkem interview in the days following Away Days and publicly kicked him off chocolate. This video is the first time MJ has really responded. I think that's everything.

This is so confusing to me, like why do they even have a contract if it allows you to switch sponsors without even informing the old sponsor, and also allows the sponsor to make serious pay cuts just like that? And how can you order five months worth of shoes when the pro could just dip like that the next day?

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2017, 07:05:01 AM »
I'm sure a pay cut is agreed upon. When you dedicate an entire Jenkem interview to the evils of corporate shoes, it's hard to jump ship as soon as your current sponsor needs to renegotiate. Deals change.

Not paying him the agreed upon amount should void the contract. Ok cool, you walk away. You still have to find a replacement for that income. Even with someone with Marc's demand, it might be awhile before you hammer out a deal with the next guy and get that next paycheck.

mgeorge402

« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2017, 07:35:42 AM »
What's the story behind Marc and Emerica? When they talked about his first shoe it seemed like there was bad blood there. I feel like I remember hearing about him not being happy about the design process behind his second shoe. Did they just pay him royalties he felt like were unfair?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2017, 07:46:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The thought of someone not going skating to watch The Princess Bride is hilarious. I wonder who it was.
[close]
I can picture Caswell staring up from a couch while holding a cig and beer saying something along those lines
[close]

hahaha yes. I now believe this really happened.
[close]
Caswell was diagnosed with vertigo, give him a break.� I'd hope it was someone else that MJ was bummed on.
[close]

Caswell is one of my all time faves..the thought of that scenario makes me like him even more.
[close]
Were they ever on Enjoi at the same time? If so it is cutting it close as he was on Toy til at least 2002. It was probably Louie.

They weren't on Enjoi at the same time. Caswell didn't get on until after MJ left and I think I remember reading that it was because MJ didn't like him or something along those lines.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2017, 08:03:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The thought of someone not going skating to watch The Princess Bride is hilarious. I wonder who it was.
[close]
I can picture Caswell staring up from a couch while holding a cig and beer saying something along those lines
[close]

[close]
Caswell was diagnosed with vertigo, give him a break.� I'd hope it was someone else that MJ was bummed on.
[close]

Caswell is one of my all time faves..the thought of that scenario makes me like him even more.
[close]
Were they ever on Enjoi at the same time? If so it is cutting it close as he was on Toy til at least 2002. It was probably Louie.
[close]

They weren't on Enjoi at the same time. Caswell didn't get on until after MJ left and I think I remember reading that it was because MJ didn't like him or something along those lines.

Yea, I should have known that. My bet is that it was Hassler then.

bo golden

« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2017, 10:47:36 AM »
soooo, when is the Brink interview dropping?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2017, 11:00:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

The best would be if it was actually Puelo, but he actually wasn't watching Princess Bride, he just didn't want to show someone a spot.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2017, 11:00:51 AM »

After he goes through 18,000 pages of transcript
Gentleman ninja warlock

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You think we'll get the full story?  :o

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2017, 01:07:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
The best would be if it was actually Puelo, but he actually wasn't watching Princess Bride, he just didn't want to show someone a spot.

Roberto Puelo, king of the s?tano doors

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2017, 03:00:38 PM »
What's the story behind Marc and Emerica? When they talked about his first shoe it seemed like there was bad blood there. I feel like I remember hearing about him not being happy about the design process behind his second shoe. Did they just pay him royalties he felt like were unfair?

They wanted him to skate bigger shit, just like Creager. I think there was an ad for a separate company (Enjoi?) about things he liked and one was "the freedom to skate WHAT I WANT" or something like that.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2017, 04:31:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You think we'll get the full story?  :o

IMO no. 18,000 pages is like a coffee break chat when it comes to MJ.

I hope he brought Brink a gift however
Gentleman ninja warlock

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2017, 09:22:21 PM »
A dildo. For Thinkers

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2017, 01:18:22 PM »
100% with MJ ! you gotta steal that couch  ;D

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2017, 02:54:20 PM »
wouldn't be surprised to see the crail couch in mjs 1 bdr apartment in the near future
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »
wouldn't be surprised to see the crail couch in mjs 1 bdr apartment in the near future
or carroll has a party at his house, then after the party he wonders where his microwave and plants went

BMCsteve

« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2017, 08:34:33 AM »
I wonder if it drives Brink insane that you can film a podcast in 2 hours, spend another hour doing some editing and get it right on the interwebz vs spending weeks transcribing a traditional interview into print

Betaphenylethylalamine

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2017, 09:42:39 AM »
I wonder if it drives Brink insane that you can film a podcast in 2 hours, spend another hour doing some editing and get it right on the interwebz vs spending weeks transcribing a traditional interview into print

I'd say so.

But burning a candle makes it more enjoyable

Brink is a hard working man!
Gentleman ninja warlock

Jordick

« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2017, 12:40:02 PM »

Pontus had a shoe on Emerica. I think it was only released in Europe though. I wouldn't know.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2017, 01:11:27 AM »

Pontus had a shoe on Emerica. I think it was only released in Europe though. I wouldn't know.
I think it was a colorway of the Emerica Tope. I think they released some in Japan too

jonnysheen

• Rep: -63
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2017, 04:11:14 AM »
skating 3.5 years and doing nollie flip manuals in 93!  that much talent its no wonder he's done 19 parts.

Having said that he might be a TMs worse nightmare. Imagine being in the van with MJ, Biebel and Mike York with a 6 pack of red bull
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:29:58 AM by jonnysheen »

bo golden

« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2017, 04:19:15 AM »
skating 3.5 years and doing nollie flip manuals in 93!  that much talent its no wonder he's done 19 parts.

Having said that he might be a TMs worse nightmare. Imagine being in the van with MJ, Biebel and ike York with a 6 pack of red bed