Author Topic: Wheelbase Questions  (Read 56770 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
Re: Wheelbase Questions
« Reply #270 on: December 11, 2020, 09:54:55 AM »
anti hero 8.12 x 31.38 - 14 wheelbase shape has me wanting shorter wheelbase. who currently makes 8"+ decks with 13.75 wheelbase? that shit is the future, no wonder mason is so good

Evisen had some that have that listing.

Palace, Girl/Chocolate have some that are close.

Im on the same wave (well I want to get something like this). I prefer Ventures, 14” wb is the max tho. Ace can help out shrinking the effective wb, but that starts to be a slippery slope. 14” or less, 31.5” or less. Kickflips and Ollies feel better

asbestos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
« Reply #271 on: December 11, 2020, 11:26:55 AM »
Expand Quote
anti hero 8.12 x 31.38 - 14 wheelbase shape has me wanting shorter wheelbase. who currently makes 8"+ decks with 13.75 wheelbase? that shit is the future, no wonder mason is so good
[close]

Im on the same wave (well I want to get something like this). I prefer Ventures, 14” wb is the max tho. Ace can help out shrinking the effective wb, but that starts to be a slippery slope. 14” or less, 31.5” or less. Kickflips and Ollies feel better
yeah i was on aces for years until we couldn't get em here in canada for a few months. on the indy mids now, but even with my aces i was waiting for that 13.75 wheelbase to come thru my local shop. ive ridden those palace and primitive 8.25s with the 14 wheelbase and loved em.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #272 on: February 04, 2023, 01:45:34 PM »
For people who usually ride 14.25 wb, is there any noticeable difference when you go up to 14.3 to 14.5? How about down to 14.0? A lot of the twin tail decks out these days are not 14.25 for whatever reason and I want to know if it will be weird to get used to a slightly longer or shorter wb than what I'm used to.

elegant_fox

« Reply #273 on: February 04, 2023, 01:50:01 PM »
For people who usually ride 14.25 wb, is there any noticeable difference when you go up to 14.3 to 14.5? How about down to 14.0? A lot of the twin tail decks out these days are not 14.25 for whatever reason and I want to know if it will be weird to get used to a slightly longer or shorter wb than what I'm used to.

I think wheelbase changes are the hardest thing for me to get used to in a new setup, stepping down to a 14 for a month really threw everything off for me when I went back to 14.25. It’s shocking how much that quarter inch affected things. Even 14.25 to 15 wasn’t as wild for me as the 14.

switchfakie

« Reply #274 on: February 04, 2023, 01:59:21 PM »

i didnt notice much difference going from 8.25 x14.25 to 8.5x14.5. i dont know how helpful that is because the board width also changed, but in my experience, it took maybe a sesh to re-adjust

to be frank, unless youre doing a lot of technical ledge tricks, i think wheelbase is a negligible dimension, it dont fuckin matter

thats coming from a dude who used to religiously lurk slap wheelbase threads & would ask my local skateshop if they had a measuring tape so i could find out the wheelbase

its true wheelbase can help for certain flip tricks, but its always possible to re-adjust

Bill Salt

« Reply #275 on: May 26, 2023, 01:27:37 AM »
WB is one thing but the trucks underneath too.They might have importance on how the wb affects your skating since some models have an axle more centered or apart.I ain't a tall guy, regular size I guess with quite normal legs and to me 14 is the best.

pops

• Rep: 220
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #276 on: May 26, 2023, 01:50:11 AM »
I'm 5 feet 10, I ride 13.875 wheelbase with Ace Af1s. It feels weird that my friends shorter than me like wider wheelbases and they do much more tech. I love how versatile and compact my setup feels just for cruising and occasional curb/miniramp sessions.

rikki

• Rep: 238
« Reply #277 on: May 26, 2023, 02:39:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Antihero has a GT model with 31.5 length / 13.88 wb.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #278 on: May 26, 2023, 04:38:15 AM »

14.25 wb seems to be my max comfortablity. Rode that Polar 8.25 with the ~14.3 wb and it threw me off.
14 wb could work too, but I haven't tried. but For me personally the tail length is the most important. Around 6.6 and definitely not 6.7 or above. Must be muscle memory from my younger days but yeah.
IG: @flowterspace

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #279 on: May 26, 2023, 06:01:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think wheelbase changes are the hardest thing for me to get used to in a new setup, stepping down to a 14 for a month really threw everything off for me when I went back to 14.25. It’s shocking how much that quarter inch affected things. Even 14.25 to 15 wasn’t as wild for me as the 14.

My main deck is 8.5x14.5. I just got a deck that’s 8.13x14.125 and maaaaan did the wb change fuck me up. Even carving feels more difficult. Width has never been much of an issue for me but apparently wb is. I’m not even tall, I’m 5’8 so I don’t quite get it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #280 on: May 26, 2023, 06:11:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

My main deck is 8.5x14.5. I just got a deck that’s 8.13x14.125 and maaaaan did the wb change fuck me up. Even carving feels more difficult. Width has never been much of an issue for me but apparently wb is. I’m not even tall, I’m 5’8 so I don’t quite get it.

Carving and leaning to turn might be the biggest thing that would feel different from a longer wheelbase to a shorter wheelbase, everything being a lot quicker and what your muscle memory does and what a different shorter board will do will make things feel way off.

Same with a 15" wheelbase carving around, which feels way slower to turn than something with a shorter wheelbase.

Mostly a board might take a few sessions at least to get comfortable, some people adapt quickly and some more slowly to changes like that.

I do find it interesting with different boards I try, but my main board is either 8.38 or 8.5 both with 14.5 wb and that's how I like it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #281 on: May 27, 2023, 08:24:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Carving and leaning to turn might be the biggest thing that would feel different from a longer wheelbase to a shorter wheelbase, everything being a lot quicker and what your muscle memory does and what a different shorter board will do will make things feel way off.

Same with a 15" wheelbase carving around, which feels way slower to turn than something with a shorter wheelbase.

Mostly a board might take a few sessions at least to get comfortable, some people adapt quickly and some more slowly to changes like that.

I do find it interesting with different boards I try, but my main board is either 8.38 or 8.5 both with 14.5 wb and that's how I like it.

Well I’m old and my reaction time sucked to begin with. Part of the reason I’ve always gravitated to transition is I like to think ahead, so it’s pretty natural for me to accommodate shallower turns while it fucks me proper to have my board be so sensitive it reacts to my fucking blinks

ambiguousclarity

• Rep: 10
« Reply #282 on: May 28, 2023, 06:02:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I agree. I come from a surfing background where I was used to experimenting with different boards. I've got three set ups I currently use, all with different wheelbases, widths, nose and tail measurements. A cheap 8.6 eternal deck with 8.5 wb which I commute to work on and skate a park near my office most days at lunch. A 8.38 palace deck with 14.8 wb which I'm prefer skating for the moment and an 8.125 passport with 14.25 wb. I find the more I change up what I ride, the less time it takes to adjust. I skate a fair amount of transition and find the most noticeable change is foot placement on narrower wbs. Too much wait on my foot on narrower wbs can lead to loosing/drifting the back wheels. Whereas on longer wbs, I find I can get my wait forward and drive without it happening...much.

nobodysname

• Rep: 1
« Reply #283 on: September 04, 2023, 09:48:38 AM »

The most interesting thing I am seeing right now is the industry is going to shorter wheelbases for most of the bigger / wider boards,  when there used to be such a difference in overall wheelbase as board sizes went up.

Average before:

Under 8 = around 14"
8 - 8.25 = 14.25 - 14.38
8.38 - 8.5 = 14.38 - 14.5
8.6 - 8.75 = 14.6 - 14.75
9 and up = 15+

8.25 FULL = 14.5
8.5 FULL = 14.6

Average now:

Most boards 14.25 - 14.38 including FULL SE and other bigger boards from various companies.

So, recently I ordered that Welcome twin tail 8.75 board that comes with 14.75 wheelbase which made me jump into this wheelbase madness. I've been riding mostly 8.5 boards for the last decade without any issues besides getting really short ones with short WB a couple times, but after I stepped up to 8.75 last year I noticed the whole opposite. Most wide boards are longer and come with longer wheelbase and it's a quest to find, let's say, 8.75 board that's about 32.2' long with WB somewhere between 14.25-14.5 which makes no sense to me. Like, why not just increase the width without making it a fucking longboard.

Speaking about how wider WB affects your tricks, I had the best tre flips in my life on full shape 8.75 board with 14.5 WB on Indy 159 Stage 11 hollows, way better than on any 8.5 boards (with approximately smaller wheelbase) on same trucks, but completely lost my kickflips and bs flips. Tricks like bigspins and caballerials take more effort but feel better. Impossibles, pressure flips and all transition stuff and pop on simple 180's feel amazing. I wonder if I can have my kickflips back on smaller wheelbase tho, but 14.75 on that new board kinda scares me haha

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #284 on: September 04, 2023, 11:24:50 AM »
Expand Quote

The most interesting thing I am seeing right now is the industry is going to shorter wheelbases for most of the bigger / wider boards,  when there used to be such a difference in overall wheelbase as board sizes went up.

Average before:

Under 8 = around 14"
8 - 8.25 = 14.25 - 14.38
9 and up = 15+

8.25 FULL = 14.5
8.5 FULL = 14.6

Average now:

Most boards 14.25 - 14.38 including FULL SE and other bigger boards from various companies.

[close]

So, recently I ordered that Welcome twin tail 8.75 board that comes with 14.75 wheelbase which made me jump into this wheelbase madness. I've been riding mostly 8.5 boards for the last decade without any issues besides getting really short ones with short WB a couple times, but after I stepped up to 8.75 last year I noticed the whole opposite. Most wide boards are longer and come with longer wheelbase and it's a quest to find, let's say, 8.75 board that's about 32.2' long with WB somewhere between 14.25-14.5 which makes no sense to me. Like, why not just increase the width without making it a fucking longboard.

Speaking about how wider WB affects your tricks, I had the best tre flips in my life on full shape 8.75 board with 14.5 WB on Indy 159 Stage 11 hollows, way better than on any 8.5 boards (with approximately smaller wheelbase) on same trucks, but completely lost my kickflips and bs flips. Tricks like bigspins and caballerials take more effort but feel better. Impossibles, pressure flips and all transition stuff and pop on simple 180's feel amazing. I wonder if I can have my kickflips back on smaller wheelbase tho, but 14.75 on that new board kinda scares me haha

I have two set-ups. DLX 8.25/14.38/144s and a DLX 8.75/14.62/159s. I can, unquestionably, skate better on the 8.25". However, everything just feels better on the 8.75.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2023, 08:25:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Average before:

Under 8 = around 14"
8 - 8.25 = 14.25 - 14.38
9 and up = 15+

8.25 FULL = 14.5
8.5 FULL = 14.6

Average now:

[close]

[close]

I have two set-ups. DLX 8.25/14.38/144s and a DLX 8.75/14.62/159s. I can, unquestionably, skate better on the 8.25". However, everything just feels better on the 8.75.

this is so accurate, in my opinion: skate better on smaller setups, larger setups ‘feel better’. it’s really messed with me.
lately i haven’t been skating enough to notice the difference, and just grab the small setup and try and land what i can. but if i’m skating regularly, a larger board often ‘feels better’, at the expense of a fair amount of my limited bag. madness

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2023, 08:31:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Average before:

Under 8 = around 14"
8 - 8.25 = 14.25 - 14.38
9 and up = 15+

8.25 FULL = 14.5
8.5 FULL = 14.6

Average now:

[close]

[close]

[close]

this is so accurate, in my opinion: skate better on smaller setups, larger setups ‘feel better’. it’s really messed with me.
lately i haven’t been skating enough to notice the difference, and just grab the small setup and try and land what i can. but if i’m skating regularly, a larger board often ‘feels better’, at the expense of a fair amount of my limited bag. madness

Ok, I’m glad it’s not just me then…

LebowskisRug

« Reply #287 on: September 05, 2023, 10:19:11 AM »
I've been running V Lights on my Frog 8.38/14.38 which pushes WB out to 17.75 effective. Historically I've liked 17.5 effective via whatever combo of gear. It's been pretty fun and really stable like flinging flip tricks on flat feels great and it's really fun. Except for popping straight over or onto stuff. Seems to just take forever to get the tail up. It's been surprisingly nice and snappy otherwise so who knows if I'll stick with it long term.

nobodysname

• Rep: 1
« Reply #288 on: September 05, 2023, 05:53:04 PM »

Damn switching from 8.75 to 8.25 sounds crazy, for me it feels like a literal toothpick — too small, easier to flick but harder to control and overall uncomfortable after floating around on a wide giant boat haha. It seems way easier to adjust to wider board (if we talkin' sizes up to 9') than to step down on smaller ones. Also I feel like not only wheelbase, but overall length of the board also affects how tricks feel when not balanced right with WB.

On a side note: I kinda consider trying to redrill WB holes to smaller base around 14.375 on that Welcome monstrous 14.75 thing to see if it feels any better

Thebird

• Rep: 152
« Reply #289 on: September 05, 2023, 07:32:16 PM »
I've been running V Lights on my Frog 8.38/14.38 which pushes WB out to 17.75 effective. Historically I've liked 17.5 effective via whatever combo of gear. It's been pretty fun and really stable like flinging flip tricks on flat feels great and it's really fun. Except for popping straight over or onto stuff. Seems to just take forever to get the tail up. It's been surprisingly nice and snappy otherwise so who knows if I'll stick with it long term.

This worked for me too.  Cast hollows on the Quasi 8.25 with the 14.38 wb.  I thought it would be too much, but it feels good.  I think the mellow kicks are what make the difference.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #290 on: September 06, 2023, 07:24:41 AM »
Damn switching from 8.75 to 8.25 sounds crazy...

Well, it is.

The 8.25 is my main ride. The 8.75 is more of a cruiser / fun board (or bigger transition) that I take out every now and again. Some times I end up riding it my main set-up for a week or more (because, well, everything just feels better on a bigger board), and then when I go back to my 8.25, I'm always like, "WTF!? There is no way I can ever ride this absurd 7.75" toothpick ever again! It's SO SMALL!" And then like an hour later I am all, "Oh, yeah, I love 8.25 decks!"

I've tried a ton of different set-ups overt the years, and the DLX 8.25 is clearly my "goldilocks" set-up. The only other deck/set-up that held my attention was the DLX 8.75, and that shocked me. Still does, actually. It just seems like such a nice, well-balanced set-up, despite it's size. I think one of the reasons I like it, is that it is almost the exact same shape as the 8.25, just bigger. NOTHING feels as good as smith grinds on that 8.75...

Gandito405

• Rep: 6
« Reply #291 on: October 18, 2023, 06:39:10 PM »
what wheelbase should i choose for my local. the transition is not lower than 5ft no higher than 8 at least in the bowl. i have a 14.5 wheelbase board but its too squrely on the walls> it goes too fast at the coping. i also have a 15WB deck but feels too slow to get on the coping so I cant get on top or even slash. should i go for a 14.75WB? honestly I've been contemplating going with 14.75WB and a 9/8.75 popsicle.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #292 on: October 18, 2023, 07:06:48 PM »
what wheelbase should i choose for my local. the transition is not lower than 5ft no higher than 8 at least in the bowl. i have a 14.5 wheelbase board but its too squrely on the walls> it goes too fast at the coping. i also have a 15WB deck but feels too slow to get on the coping so I cant get on top or even slash. should i go for a 14.75WB? honestly I've been contemplating going with 14.75WB and a 9/8.75 popsicle.

eh….14.5 is good, already pretty big.
do whatever you want.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #293 on: October 18, 2023, 07:59:48 PM »

The turning you find between the 14.5 and 15 wb is interesting and nothing that over time and practice you couldn't get more used to, but it is entirely up to you and how you feel about what you are skating, so yeah you could try something in the 14.75 range, which I found works quite well overall.

If you are using the same trucks on any / every setup, this would probably be the best in between size to try, but if you have different setups that have different parts, this could also be affecting things more so than just the wheelbase alone.

Speaking of trucks, what do you have on those setups now, how much turn as well?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Bill Salt

« Reply #294 on: October 19, 2023, 12:09:09 AM »
Average WB is 14 but we can't say one size fits all skaters.One thing we often forget is to compare the way we're built to the pro you get the model from.
That's why I'd rather say 14,25 would be the good compromise.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #295 on: October 19, 2023, 01:31:43 AM »
14 has become more prevalent recently but the most common should still be 14.25 for deck width 8.25-8.5 no?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #296 on: October 19, 2023, 02:13:03 AM »
14 has become more prevalent recently but the most common should still be 14.25 for deck width 8.25-8.5 no?
Pretty much. 14.25 is pretty standard for 8.25 but I'd say that 14.5 is for 8.5
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #297 on: October 19, 2023, 07:18:13 AM »
Lots of pro transition skaters skate shorter decks as well I think a lot depends on your trucks, how you skate, and exactly what you're trying to do.

There's the Paddy Daddy's at the local park who basically just drop in and carve the bowls and they all ride fairly big setups all around. The younger dudes who skate more terrain and go above the coping skate a huge variety of decks but a common one I see are the shorter 8.5-9 with 14.25 WB or the cream Eagle shape which is longer. You're really going to have to try things out and see what you like.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #298 on: October 19, 2023, 08:15:09 AM »
i’m no good at skating, worse with transition, but 8’ isn’t huge. a big wb isn’t ‘needed’ for that, but your preference might be for a big un. do as you like. but you don’t need it.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • sup dog
« Reply #299 on: October 19, 2023, 09:25:50 AM »

6’2” 212 lbs

Thought I’d mention so you understand better.

I skate real decks and thunder right now (Indy before that for 23 years)
The move from 14.38 WB on a 8.25 deck, to a 14.5 on a 8.38 deck is noticeable in how much more difficult it is to slide out on turns while having decent speed.

Flipping whatnot feels the same, as does spinning.

But the turning: can definitely feel more confident going fast with the 14.5 WB.