Author Topic: Wheelbase Questions  (Read 56747 times)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
Re: Wheelbase Questions
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2017, 10:58:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For years, maybe a decade I thought I was a 14.25 wheelbase guy, thinking length was the issue when I wasn't happy with my setup.. went to a 14 inch wheelbase and it's such a diffence I've been learning new shit and feeling better than I have in years. Wheelbase is the most important� measurement for sure. I'm a short ass 5'7"
[close]
Same here. Went from 8.25 with a 14.25 wb to 8.00 with 14' wb and I've felt more comfortable and in more control ever since. I am also a short ass 5'7"
[close]
Greetings my fellow short ass 5'7 guys. 14 is also my favorite but holy shit is it a hard one to find.
[close]

Same here, 5'7/5'8 skating best with a 14"

I think primitive decks are the only decks in plenty with 8^ sizes with a 14" wheelbase besides crail boards
Same, my only problem is I like the wider space. Might have to pick up a Primitive
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »
So many variables in WB from board length to the size of the skater, its almost a crap shoot till you find what is good for you. Although, all really good skaters can ride any shape or size board, most of the normal folk needs as much help as possible. I tried to be a vert skater for a bit and went up to 8.5" by 32.5" with a 15" wheelbase. It was stable on big vert ramps, but sucked on mini or even ramps up to 7'-8'. Even trying to street ollie for me made the nose hit the side of my leg. So I went back to an ATV 8.4" by 32" with a 14.5" WB. Its pretty much the best size for me at 6.0" tall. I feel a shorter board and wheel base might help with a higher Ollie, but I dont think it could handle a fast bowl over 6' deep. So i just balanced it out with what I ride now.

Interesting that ACE gives you a shorter wheelbase through truck design, as mentioned earlier. I'd like to investigate that a bit further.

Definitely makes a difference. I like wheelbases of about 14.5 to 14.75 with my aces. If I'm skating Thunders, that wheelbase becomes a bit too much effort at times.

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For years, maybe a decade I thought I was a 14.25 wheelbase guy, thinking length was the issue when I wasn't happy with my setup.. went to a 14 inch wheelbase and it's such a diffence I've been learning new shit and feeling better than I have in years. Wheelbase is the most important� measurement for sure. I'm a short ass 5'7"
[close]
Same here. Went from 8.25 with a 14.25 wb to 8.00 with 14' wb and I've felt more comfortable and in more control ever since. I am also a short ass 5'7"
[close]
Greetings my fellow short ass 5'7 guys. 14 is also my favorite but holy shit is it a hard one to find.
[close]

I think primitive decks are the only decks in plenty with 8^ sizes with a 14" wheelbase besides crail boards
[close]
Same, my only problem is I like the wider space. Might have to pick up a Primitive

i actually just set up a 8.25 primitive, the pendelton series and i like it a lot.. this is coming from a guy who doesn't like crailtap and has only been on dlx and baker boards the last few years with the exception of roger and program boards.. I'm not the typical demographic for that company but i like the shape of their 8.25, good size nose and I've beaten the shit out of that thing and it still feels good..

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

i actually just set up a 8.25 primitive, the pendelton series and i like it a lot.. this is coming from a guy who doesn't like crailtap and has only been on dlx and baker boards the last few years with the exception of roger and program boards.. I'm not the typical demographic for that company but i like the shape of their 8.25, good size nose and I've beaten the shit out of that thing and it still feels good..

Same here, primitive the brand isn't my thing but they know how to get their boards done for those who want bbs/generator quality wood with the right dimensions. Sadly deluxe has such long wheelbases even on 8-8.2, my first 8.18 real was a 14.25 wb and the second was a whopping 8.18 with 14.38wb and I mean it has a feel to it but I can't get my feet in that super controlled feel where I can blast a kickflip off the call easy, I gotta get eased into it and just feel it out and see if what I'm feeling is a good kickflip or a fluke
yes

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2017, 02:33:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Same here, primitive the brand isn't my thing but they know how to get their boards done for those who want bbs/generator quality wood with the right dimensions. Sadly deluxe has such long wheelbases even on 8-8.2, my first 8.18 real was a 14.25 wb and the second was a whopping 8.18 with 14.38wb and I mean it has a feel to it but I can't get my feet in that super controlled feel where I can blast a kickflip off the call easy, I gotta get eased into it and just feel it out and see if what I'm feeling is a good kickflip or a fluke

Dude the same, every time i look at a dlx i check the dimensions and they are just wild, super long with long wheelbases for the most part.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2017, 12:48:38 PM »
im 5'8 and 14.375 - 14.5 WB is fine for me... on indys
hardly art, hardly starving

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2017, 08:16:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Dude the same, every time i look at a dlx i check the dimensions and they are just wild, super long with long wheelbases for the most part.

DLX is all over the map with big ass Wheelbases these days =D

I prefer 8.25 (full shaped) or 8.3" decks with 14.3x/14.5" WB, under 32" (otherwise I scrape my lead ankle when olling anything above 2.5') - 31.75 is the shizzle with shorter noses, I don't need a fucking 6.7/7" nose. Sadly these are stupid hard to come by. Tum Yeto, some NHS, and Blood Wizard makes an amazing 8.3...wish NHS didn't stop making the 8.3 shape =(

If DLX would make the 8.25" full with the 14.38 WB they use on some of the (mainly krooked) 8.25s, it's all I'd ride.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2017, 10:44:11 AM »
Has anyone been crazy enough to just drill new holes to make your own wheelbase yet? Thinking about trying it on my old real deck
yes

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2017, 01:42:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

DLX is all over the map with big ass Wheelbases these days =D

I prefer 8.25 (full shaped) or 8.3" decks with 14.3x/14.5" WB, under 32" (otherwise I scrape my lead ankle when olling anything above 2.5') - 31.75 is the shizzle with shorter noses, I don't need a fucking 6.7/7" nose. Sadly these are stupid hard to come by. Tum Yeto, some NHS, and Blood Wizard makes an amazing 8.3...wish NHS didn't stop making the 8.3 shape =(

If DLX would make the 8.25" full with the 14.38 WB they use on some of the (mainly krooked) 8.25s, it's all I'd ride.
I bought one of the Real Full SE decks and that was the most beautiful boards I've ever had the grace to put my shitty feet upon.

m477

• Rep: 6
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2017, 06:45:55 PM »
14" wb for me. I struggle with anything 14.25 or higher.

Does any company make an 8.5 with 14 wb?

shredder sequel

• Rep: 58
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2017, 07:31:52 PM »

I had a Scumco with those measurements.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »

A lot of pennswood boards do I think. Just skated an 8.5 14wb from pennswood. Wood was fantastic but hated the tiny wheelbase.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2017, 07:43:28 AM »
  I had been skating for half a year and I bought the thrasher with the Phillips high on acid cover.  Inside was a sequence of the gonz ollieing over a pool.  It's hard to find now but would stand up today.  His ollies were amazing at this point in his career, his board would go past vertical and his front foot was gnarly.  Anyway recently, I was surprised to learn that his model at the time had a 16 and a quarter wheelbase!  I figure back before noses, to do ollies without you're foot slipping off, extra wheelbase/extra front truck swing weight would prolly help.  I think between 86 to 90 the wheelbases went from 16 to 14.   But yah first handrail 50-50 was on a 16.25 wb.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:47:32 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2018, 11:19:08 AM »
anyone else ever gone up .25 inches in wheelbase and not like it much? 14.25 is my max. 14.5 was too much for this manlet.

micky682

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2018, 11:25:45 AM »
anyone else ever gone up .25 inches in wheelbase and not like it much? 14.25 is my max. 14.5 was too much for this manlet.
What trucks you riding? Your wheelbase changes depending on the brand.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2018, 12:19:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, aces shrink your wheelbase significantly compared to Thunders, even a little bit compared to Indys. So if you need to shrink your wheelbase in another way you can switch up the trucks.

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2018, 01:28:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Actually all palace and traffic 8.25 boards have a 14” wheelbase

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2018, 02:21:45 PM »

I can do 14.25" with thunders and most 14.5 feel too big because they are on longer boards (but there are so few with short lengths and long WB).

Once I get through the few decks I have left I'm going to get a fickle build to my specs:

Full shape

wb 14.35
NOSE 6.75
TAIL 6.625

Basically the old NHS 8.2" shape but a but wider

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2018, 08:42:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah, aces shrink your wheelbase significantly compared to Thunders, even a little bit compared to Indys. So if you need to shrink your wheelbase in another way you can switch up the trucks.

I skated two different decks with the same set of aces and the 14.5" wb deck felt weird to me, especially for flip tricks.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2018, 11:57:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Actually all palace and traffic 8.25 boards have a 14” wheelbase
Not true,there’s Traffic 8.25 boards with 14.2” wb aswell. And those Palace 8.25 are super short,like 31.5”
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2018, 12:32:35 AM »
I’ve never actually looked into what WB I ride, but is it safe to say that a shorter wheelbase makes flip tricks easier? I ride an 8.25 with 149 thunders, what board brands can you recommend, asking for a friend...

micky682

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2018, 06:52:15 AM »
I’ve never actually looked into what WB I ride, but is it safe to say that a shorter wheelbase makes flip tricks easier? I ride an 8.25 with 149 thunders, what board brands can you recommend, asking for a friend...
If you want a short wheelbase then a Baker/Deathwish or FA/Hockey. They are usually 14.25.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2018, 07:57:45 AM »
I'm currently skating a 8.25" Nick Jensen Isle board.
The shape seem to work perfectly for me.

It's a Generator board, but how can I know the WB ? Measuring ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

micky682

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2018, 08:10:54 AM »

SkateparkofTampa.com Skatewarehouse.com has the dimensions. Don't know if either of those sell Isle though.

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2018, 08:29:08 AM »

You already have the board, jut measure it...

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2018, 01:00:16 PM »

Supposedly you can take a tape measure and line it up with the center of the back bolt hole to hole and find out but idk if I’m stupid or doing it wrong cause I’ll have a board that says 14” and it’ll measure a bit over
yes

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2018, 04:56:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If you want a short wheelbase then a Baker/Deathwish or FA/Hockey. They are usually 14.25.

Thanks lad. ;D

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2018, 06:41:04 PM »
I think I went from 14" on indys to 14.75 on thunders and it was so fucking extreme. I couldn't even ollie for my first few skates. I eventually got used to that board (and had tonnes of fun on it) but flipping it was out of the question in most cases. I'm imagining 14.25 ish is my sweet spot and is actually why I was avoiding buying boards with 14.5 even though I liked the shape of them.

Suit up, ignorance is bliss, please don't get wheelbase madness

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2018, 07:14:05 PM »
Been on a 14.25 wheelbase for a while now because of the B16 shape I've been skating for years and its pretty much perfect. I am now curious to try a 14 wheelbase but don't want a skinnier board. I've been skating my cruiser a lot lately which is the Grosso 9.25 board which i think has a 15 wheelbase and surprisingly I could still flip the board without much of a difference. My foot has began getting more and more comfortable with the bigger boards and I now feel like I'm tippy toeing on anything smaller than an 8.5 board. I'm pretty sure my next board will be the chico big board.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2018, 08:42:59 PM »
I truly do believe in the shoe size to board being a good guide to get more out of skating but in the end it’s all preference but I think like the shoe size to board size correlation I believe in the height/leg length  to wheelbase correlation is best to follow but hey in the end it’s allllllllways preference

Cause yeah, idk I’m a short 5’8/5’9 and a 14” wb feels like it has more control and response to me while anything longer there is more space and comfort to even out, balance and land or whatever I still prefer control and response over stability
yes