Author Topic: Jim Greco: The year 13  (Read 21890 times)

figureitout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
Jim Greco: The year 13
« on: February 25, 2017, 11:44:36 PM »
Joey Sinko edits are always great. Jimbo on Monday

www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/jim-greco-s-year-13-trailer/

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
Re: Jim Greco: The year 13
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 03:09:32 AM »
I love Greco's skating so I'm very exited. Really wanna see the footage of that cover kickflip in the brick tranny.

I'm still somewhat bummed from when I got all emotional over The Way Out, to then see in the credits that it had all been Greco on Greco. But whatever, can't wait for Monday!

juuhnuuh

• Rep: -157
  • i love the 90's
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 04:08:16 AM »
Jim's later stuff has been good, I enjoyed the effort that was put into The Way Out and to be honest the soundtrack and the skating was great. I like the fact that he just goes out skating with his peers (older skaters), Jeremy Klein for instance, had some great moments in The Way Out.

Whatever you might think of Jim's style of doing things it is nice to see hem do him and his sponsors just allowing him to follow his route.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 04:48:08 AM »
He also has a personality, a trait missing in most people these days. Love him!

Hannity

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 07:29:30 AM »

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 08:08:35 AM »
Love Grecos skating. Deathwish part was amazing and one I watch all the time. I'm excited for this, but the way the trailer is doesn't it make it look like skating is not fun for him at all? Like he's being forced to do it or has to do it against his own will. That's just what I got off of the trailer.

BMCsteve

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 08:23:12 AM »
Loved The Way Out.  Can't wait for this

N.L.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 08:29:59 AM »
Loved The Way Out.  Can't wait for this

Same. Never was a fan until recently but I'm backing Scorcese era Greco.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 09:12:03 AM »
Love Grecos skating. Deathwish part was amazing and one I watch all the time. I'm excited for this, but the way the trailer is doesn't it make it look like skating is not fun for him at all? Like he's being forced to do it or has to do it against his own will. That's just what I got off of the trailer.

agree 100% and way out had the same vibe

skating is serious business...

but that said, still interesting watch

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 10:19:39 AM »
Always been a fan of Greco so yeah probably a little bit of personal bias here but it's refreshing to see something like this and his previous video. The Way Out stood out in a sea of straight to web 3 min video parts. He's making these oddball Arthouse cinema projects while showcasing his and his peers skating, no one else is doing this shit and while I didn't love every second of The away Out, I appreciated it as a whole. I've watched it twice , which is once more than all the sometimes groundbreaking web parts from the last 3/4 years (bar Cole Wilson and Braydon's Halloween part).
I'm happy to keep seeing Greco making this videos.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

shark tits

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »
Always been a fan of Greco so yeah probably a little bit of personal bias here but it's refreshing to see something like this and his previous video. The Way Out stood out in a sea of straight to web 3 min video parts. He's making these oddball Arthouse cinema projects while showcasing his and his peers skating, no one else is doing this shit and while I didn't love every second of The away Out, I appreciated it as a whole. I've watched it twice , which is once more than all the sometimes groundbreaking web parts from the last 3/4 years (bar Cole Wilson and Braydon's Halloween part).
i concur, kind sir.
wouldn't it be neat if jim greco found the next chloe sevigny and filmed her sucking him off w/in the greater context of a bizarre loner who skateboards really well in a city that's not 100% to his liking?
that or drew barrymore plays his lighthearted love interest and encourages him to go out skating in spite of circumstance.
it could be it's own genre of film 'skater meets manic pixie dream girl and carve out a niche in the rock'.
the anomie of being a professional skatebaorder and finding meaning in all those empty hours....

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 10:46:51 AM »
For some reason, I remember a lot more people hating The Way Out (myself among them, I thought it was hacky, pretentious trash) when it first came out. If I wanted to watch an "Art House" film by someone who isn't an artist, I'd make one myself. But hey, if that's his thing now, whatever. As someone stated, it did have personality in contrast to all of the of 3-4 minute web clips out there and I'll still probably watch this once since I'm a fan of his skating .

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 11:50:53 AM »
Was that a mongo push?

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »
Super stoked about this. The Way Out was one of my favorite videos from 2016, and it got multiple re-watches throughout the year.
I know Tobin filmed some of the 16mm footage too which is just the cherry on top.
Greco always stands out and delivers the goods.

Also really curious as to what the Jason Lee footage will be like. Surely a picturesque 360 flip is in store :)
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

NeppuNeppu

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 12:54:02 PM »
Really excited for this. My main gripe with The Way Out was the choppy slo-mo parts, hopefully it's smooth in this.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 01:06:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i concur, kind sir.
wouldn't it be neat if jim greco found the next chloe sevigny and filmed her sucking him off w/in the greater context of a bizarre loner who skateboards really well in a city that's not 100% to his liking?
that or drew barrymore plays his lighthearted love interest and encourages him to go out skating in spite of circumstance.
it could be it's own genre of film 'skater meets manic pixie dream girl and carve out a niche in the rock'.
the anomie of being a professional skatebaorder and finding meaning in all those empty hours....
I appreciate your process but I'm pretty sure we all know the only way Jim's gonna break new gratis if he's the one sucking someone of.

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 724
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »
this shit is gonna be hilarious. i feel like it calls for a viewing party where people dress up all greco'd out and bring popcorn.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 03:04:07 PM »
I gotta need pop-corn tomorrow. Cant wait...  8)

EARL***THE***PEARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • MR.MADN3SSS LOVES YOU... NT MM
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 09:15:48 AM »
Shit Your Dickies

datura

• Rep: 23
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 09:25:18 AM »
Jimmy looks like he's almost copying Shadows or Killing of a Chinese Bookie shot for shot at this point and i couldn't be happier. By all other measures, his shit is pretty kooky, but for the skateboard world this is some forward thinking fine art. Cassavetes Greco is probably my favorite Greco since Johnny Thunders Greco.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 09:26:34 AM »

NeppuNeppu

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1226
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:05 AM »
not what i had expected but just what i needed 8)

LA seems depressing as shit

i enjoyed the piss out of that, jim has the best wind ups on his back 3s

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 10:00:28 AM »
Jermy

wario

• Rep: 60
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 10:05:25 AM »
unexpectedly really enjoyed it.

shark tits

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 10:09:44 AM »
i dug it. good mixture of casual cruising and hammers. sort of a throwback to powell vids but centered on one dude, not purposefully goofy and more cinematic.
i like the looks of the chinese waiter. bet he's got a cool name like 'chew sum fat'.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 10:16:13 AM »
why on earth did i actually expect it to be a skate part and not some stupid art project. after 10 minutes of jim pushing and pulling a bench i was so close to quitting but i held on, and got basically nothing.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
Only made it to 2:30. I wanted to close the tab every single second of that intro.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 10:24:59 AM »
Needs more Nick Cave.

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54