Author Topic: Jim Greco: The year 13  (Read 21885 times)

N.L.

Re: Jim Greco: The year 13
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 10:39:42 AM »
I liked it. Nice to see skateboarding represented in a different way. Pretentious as fuck but so what...

Brick tranny kickflips were beauty. Oh and Danny Sargent.

raji

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »
brilliaint, so rad that danny sargent cameoed but let us just pray that he goes back to drinking before a 14 drops

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »
"Lemme get a porkchop and a coffee."
you never know about pre-cum 

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »
That's not how you make iced coffee Jim your shit's gonna be all watered down. Otherwise enjoyed it.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »
vanity jim does it again!

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 11:08:57 AM »
That's not how you make iced coffee Jim your shit's gonna be all watered down. Otherwise enjoyed it.

i was at this little coffee shop in a rural town once and they had iced coffee on the menu so i ordered it and they made it greco style. they charged 50 cents more than normal coffee too. i even asked them "so you just charged me 50 cents to add ice to hot coffee?" and they looked at me like i was the crazy one.

vancanman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 11:13:10 AM »
I'll put this one in the solo male category. I do love watching Jim materbate though.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »
temped to make one of those 4 hour youtube edits of jim pushing/pulling the bench.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2017, 11:30:24 AM »
Actual weirdos drink their coffee black. Fraud.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2017, 11:32:29 AM »
Never thought the ender of a skate video would be a ripping pro making iced coffee, but hey, I dug it.

All that shit he does on those brick trannies are insane. Those things are not easy to skate. The slappy ledge section was rad.

Unique style of film, reminded me of Pulp Fiction a bit. Someone has got to insert some Mystery Science voice overs for when he is pushing the bench.

The last time I skated downtown LA on a Sunday afternoon it definitely had a dystopian vibe going on.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »
The skating and the filming were great. Greco took what I imagine were actually some fun sessions to be on and made them look serious and boring. Actually if I'm being honest all the people in this are pretty shit people so maybe these sessions were way to serious and boring.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2017, 12:43:27 PM »
Sat through it and enjoyed it. The Dystopian feel gives it an almost Drive-esque quality, in that its one guy doing what he does best in this Neoliberal state.
Greco enjoys some eating establishments, Driver does the same- and it's pretty much his only interaction with the capitalistic side of society in the movie.
Driver is able to trade by using his body and his best skill to make a living; "I drive. That's what I do. All I do". Jim is the same only his market capital is skateboarding.

If any of you have read Drive, I don't think this is at all a stretch to imagine there is a similar idea going on with this little film. Kook away by all means, or engage in a discussion with me about it. I'm don't think this sort of reading of the film is giving Greco too much credit because I feel like he has to have a point in making these films, representing himself in the way he does and adding in bits like the coffee and pork scene at the end.

To talk about the skating; I loved it although the one sore spot is not seeing him make the 270 lip. Damm he has that trick.
However the 270 tailslide almost made up for it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:00:53 PM by poor alice »
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2017, 12:57:53 PM »
Mob flips for days!

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -97
  • tae-tae
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »
i liked it alot but i probably wouldnt watch it again. Really liked the colours of the film, anyone an idea which camera/film they could've used? And what kind of wide-angle lens?
ohyeahohyeah

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
Music was mostly well suited. Skating was a little bit underwelming. Very mob. More or less what I expected

Good choice on the pork chop on broken rice.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

micky682

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »
Sat through it and enjoyed it. The Dystopian feel gives it an almost Drive-esque quality, in that its one guy doing what he does best in this Neoliberal state.
Greco enjoys some eating establishments, Driver does the same- and it's pretty much his only interaction with the capitalistic side of society in the movie.
Driver is able to trade by using his body and his best skill to make a living; "I drive. That's what I do. All I do". Jim is the same only his market capital is skateboarding.

If any of you have read Drive, I don't think this is at all a stretch to imagine there is a similar idea going on with this little film. Kook away by all means, or engage in a discussion with me about it. I'm don't think this sort of reading of the film is giving Greco too much credit because I feel like he has to have a point in making these films, representing himself in the way he does and adding in bits like the coffee and pork scene at the end.

To talk about the skating; I loved it although the one sore spot is not seeing him make the 270 lip. Damm he has that trick.
I liked Drive, now I just need to re-up on weed so I can watch this.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2017, 01:29:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I liked Drive, now I just need to re-up on weed so I can watch this.

Pour some red wine and stick it on.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2017, 01:51:55 PM »
poor alice, i think your girlfriend went on your slap account.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2017, 01:55:39 PM »

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »
poor alice, i think your girlfriend went on your slap account.

I doubt it.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2017, 02:05:33 PM »
it's different. I did stop 2 or 3 times for a smoke and to make food

Joe Pesci

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2017, 02:14:43 PM »
Enjoyed it, also liked The Way Out when that came out.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 487
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2017, 02:33:04 PM »
i thought it was interesting.
i enjoyed the music & vibes.

also in the credits:
Jermy Klein

main thing is, that Jim Greco is written correctly.
 ;)

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2017, 02:40:02 PM »
i liked it alot but i probably wouldnt watch it again. Really liked the colours of the film, anyone an idea which camera/film they could've used? And what kind of wide-angle lens?

There was some 16mm and super 16mm in there, but most of the skating looked to be a DSLR, or a Panasonic AF100 (judging by the shadows). The colours and look come from software abuse, most likely Magic Bullet Looks.

I wasn't mad at it - I've seen worse and it's cool that Greco is still out there. If it takes something like this to get him jazzed to skate, no biggie. He could calm down on the credits though.

&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

Sondor

• Rep: 60
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2017, 02:45:48 PM »
Even J. Strickland said that Jim has an unique vision. He was right.
Great videography.

Pretty Serious

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2017, 02:56:22 PM »
it's different. I did stop 2 or 3 times for a smoke and to make food
lol just smoked another bowl and took enchiladas out of the oven before I finished watching it.
Awesome!  Deep, even.  Thanks Jim!

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -379
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »
Not trying to be Jeremy Klein enough.

Mr. Fink

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2017, 03:33:08 PM »
I really enjoyed this. I like The Way Out more, but this one may grow on me.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »
That was just spectacularly awful.

I have a high tolerance for overly indulgent art films but a Greco makes Jim Jarmusch look like Michael Bay. He's in Jereme land with this one.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2017, 03:43:55 PM »
He made coffee in a Vietnamese style, the coffee is brewed using a metal filter(you can see it on the table) that sits on top of the cup containing sweet condensed milk, then drank hot or poured over ice

Thought that was awesome, really different than other stuff coming out which is nice