Author Topic: Jim Greco: The year 13  (Read 21901 times)

Pretty Serious

Re: Jim Greco: The year 13
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2017, 03:44:09 PM »
That was just spectacularly awful.

I have a high tolerance for overly indulgent art films but a Greco makes Jim Jarmusch look like Michael Bay. He's in Jereme land with this one.

When Jim was dragging the bench with great effort and I realized he had someone across the street with a camera in hand that could have probably helped...then did I realize I was watching something special.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2017, 03:54:54 PM »
great video

if "The Way Out" was Jim's "Buffalo'66," then "Year 13" is definitely his "The Brown Bunny"

absolutely perfect.

Only thing i'd maybe change is it would have been awesome if Danny Sargent joined in on Jim and Jeremy's curb sesh - cause lord knows the world can never have enough footage of Sargent fucking up curbs. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2017, 04:20:15 PM »
any slo mo putting on boots footage?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »
I only made it 7 minutes in. This shit makes me not want to be sober, like fuck do people get that lame when you been sober for a long time?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2017, 04:27:48 PM »
"you want an eggroll with that?"

also love the scene where they showed him washing his face and cleaning his nose

dirty ol man

• Rep: 46
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2017, 04:48:34 PM »
setting is devoid of "luxury" in a town synonymous with it; whereas most of central NYC has become that very same cliche it resented LA for decades

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2017, 04:48:47 PM »
the kickflip back d on the brick tranny omg

loved this, the curb section was especially warming

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2017, 04:59:30 PM »
best part was watching him try not to smile after the kicky back tail

splerm

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2017, 05:09:29 PM »
I only made it 7 minutes in. This shit makes me not want to be sober, like fuck do people get that lame when you been sober for a long time?
I made it to where he was pushing the bench before it crashed for the 3rd time, Ill have to try and finish tomorrow. What I get from the HAMMERS FILMS is the monotony and boringness of life after getting sober, trying to find the feelings of life through skateboarding. Like the opposite slo mo tricks, its like trying to portray the different stages of feel during the tricks, while the rest of life is bland and shitty. But you just have to look at the world as it is, cant get high to deal, just gotta deal with life and its surrounding, trying to get a feel of something through skateboarding.

Kinda a bummer, kinda want Jim to get back on heroin and be happy, but thats the easy way. I like his vision, hes using different influences of film but making it have a distinctly Greco feel, or lack of feel if you will.

I like it. I want him to do more.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2017, 06:04:11 PM »
i honestly thought joey sinko was just one of his personalities
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2017, 06:43:30 PM »
Jims attention to detail is almost second to none, to the point i feel it may impact his life day to day. Very obsessive, but hella rad. On all his brick spot tricks he ensured that he landed a hairline from the top of the tranny, Joey and Jim killed it

N.L.

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2017, 07:07:23 PM »
Jims attention to detail is almost second to none, to the point i feel it may impact his life day to day. Very obsessive, but hella rad. On all his brick spot tricks he ensured that he landed a hairline from the top of the tranny, Joey and Jim killed it

The landing on that first kickflip!

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2017, 08:39:36 PM »
I like this, it was depressing. 

soccer mom

• Rep: -17
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2017, 09:49:57 PM »
posted on other thread, just my feelings
 I really like the new film, the skating is awesome! I'm just a bit confused, skateboarding makes me so stoked and happy, during and after a good sesh, after landing something sick like Greco's tricks, any of it, you can catch me with a smile on my face. Yea I'm a girl and we smile,but the guys smile to, skating rules..Jim just seems pissed and miserable. Maybe he should invite Cory Kennedy out to skate or something.
 All that aside I hate to be the one pointing out negatives, I liked this and his last film, keep ripping Jimbo. I've bought a Hammers USA board or two, I'll buy a few more.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
posted on other thread, just my feelings
 I really like the new film, the skating is awesome! I'm just a bit confused, skateboarding makes me so stoked and happy, during and after a good sesh, after landing something sick like Greco's tricks, any of it, you can catch me with a smile on my face. Yea I'm a girl and we smile,but the guys smile to, skating rules..Jim just seems pissed and miserable. Maybe he should invite Cory Kennedy out to skate or something.
 All that aside I hate to be the one pointing out negatives, I liked this and his last film, keep ripping Jimbo. I've bought a Hammers USA board or two, I'll buy a few more.

Oh he's not miserable soccer mom he's art

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2017, 10:35:14 PM »
"you want an eggroll with that?"

also love the scene where they showed him washing his face and cleaning his nose

if i had to choose between watching jim greco wash his face, or leo valls doing a powerslide, i'd take the greco clip any day.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2017, 11:06:15 PM »
While it does look like Greco recently discovered Kenneth Anger, it's still a somewhat straightforward skate video. Some of Tobin Yelland's shots are great and typical Tobin Yelland.

Greco captures the mood of Downtown Los Angeles's Civic Center perfectly. Even during lunch hour weekdays, the Los Angeles Mall (1970s era semi-underground seating area that's next to the brick quarter pipes), seems eerie. But the banks off the highway in Boyle Heights seems more melancholy. It's completely industrial, covered in rough concrete, and it seems completely out of place to see a human outside of a vehicle. Still, the best Civic Center skate film is Brian Lotti's First and Hope.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2017, 11:34:55 PM »
if i had to choose between watching jim greco wash his face, or leo valls doing a powerslide, i'd take the greco clip any day.
that's a big call! I'd love to see a four way debate between those two, dill and puleo :D

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2017, 11:53:07 PM »
Interesting, I liked it and the filming was great.

My only gripes are the bench scene and that Jason Lee didn't bring out a tre flip.
I want to complain about that quarter pipe but, it's a crusty ass spot. It did feel repetitive but, still solid tricks even if they were closely related.

Would love to see Hammers pick up riders to add more variety awhile keeping the film aesthetic.
Great vid and I like it more than The Way Out
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2017, 12:00:18 AM »
Interesting, I liked it and the filming was great.

My only gripes are the bench scene and that Jason Lee didn't bring out a tre flip.
I want to complain about that quarter pipe but, it's a crusty ass spot. It did feel repetitive but, still solid tricks even if they were closely related.

Would love to see Hammers pick up riders to add more variety awhile keeping the film aesthetic.
Great vid and I like it more than The Way Out

unless he can find a way to clone himself, I doubt this narcissist will even consider it.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2017, 02:16:13 AM »
What a tour de force! At once intimate and stark, a gritty backdrop, a roughening countenance, counterpoints to a grace and flow belying the energy of eternal youth we all seek, yet are doomed to ultimately never find.  Like Sisyphus and his persistent boulder, we all have our benches to drag, and our overcooked pork chops to saw at.  Hopefully in the right pants.  Bravo

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2017, 02:23:22 AM »

Been sober for some time and I'm super lame.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 161
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2017, 02:44:33 AM »
This reminds me of when I was super into metal and Dave Mustaine quit using heroin and then Megadeth started to suck real bad after that.
Oh I wanted Dave to get back on smack so bad.

That is actually true but I kind of like sober Greco and Danny Sargent is in this so I'm sold.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2017, 03:16:23 AM »
I was waiting for Journey to start playing right as he started stirring his coffee....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:19:14 AM by AsianVegan »

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2017, 04:40:41 AM »
So this must be Grecos "Kramer" look. Trend watch 17-back pocket of dad pants turned inside out...or was it a hanky???
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2017, 05:35:12 AM »
Wow this was really good. I like when clips are not just good tricks to good music but you can see that they at least try and mix it with something else.
Skateboarding here is a just a way to portrait 'the lonesome crowded West'. I might be liking this more because I'm european and not used to that environment.
Him being isolated in a mess of jamming cars was sick..
Also everything with Mina or Battiato in it becomes an instant classic.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2017, 05:57:19 AM »
Great stuff. The skating was top dollar, so was the filming and the soundtrack. I love that Greco only does the tricks he likes, over and over again, and doesn't try to be original. I could watch him do bs 360s and ollies forever.

What I don't get is the art=misery type thing that most "artsy" films/clips got going, including this one. Doesn't make sense to me. "hey, the 16 mm is out, no more smiling guys!" Jason Lee broke the rule after his manual though, more power to him.
Or, if it should be because the film is about sobriety: Ok, you're sober, that's great (and I'm being serious here, not sarcastic. It is great for him and I'm happy he has made it.). But does that mean you're not going to laugh anymore, ever?

but whatever, will watch again anyway. Keep em coming Jim.

choke mayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • pot
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2017, 06:26:46 AM »
i thought it was a great watch.  It would have been cool to discover this 3 years after the fact rather than it being featured on thrasher though.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2017, 06:42:02 AM »
Great stuff. The skating was top dollar, so was the filming and the soundtrack. I love that Greco only does the tricks he likes, over and over again, and doesn't try to be original. I could watch him do bs 360s and ollies forever.

What I don't get is the art=misery type thing that most "artsy" films/clips got going, including this one. Doesn't make sense to me. "hey, the 16 mm is out, no more smiling guys!" Jason Lee broke the rule after his manual though, more power to him.
Or, if it should be because the film is about sobriety: Ok, you're sober, that's great (and I'm being serious here, not sarcastic. It is great for him and I'm happy he has made it.). But does that mean you're not going to laugh anymore, ever?

but whatever, will watch again anyway. Keep em coming Jim.
Totally agree with you. I'd love him to smile from time to time.

Rudie Weatherman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2017, 07:01:30 AM »
I liked it but a 5-10 minute edit would probably capture the same vibe