Author Topic: Jim Greco: The year 13  (Read 21927 times)

Robert Baratheon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
Re: Jim Greco: The year 13
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2017, 07:15:03 AM »
I liked it but a 5-10 minute edit would probably capture the same vibe

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2017, 07:45:23 AM »
that was magnificent. I can't get enough. I used to love weird foreign and art films. then I got bored of them. I used to love any skate video but now they can get a little redundant or forgettable. these are a perfect blend of the two that keeps my interest long enough to make it to the next act. I hope greco makes a lot more of these. it reminds me a little of rock 'n' roll high school. I love the musical performances in that. it just didn't have enough of them. these skate movies have enough skating mixed in.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:47:45 AM by ChuckRamone »

eurotrash

• Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2017, 08:06:35 AM »
vincent gallo called
he wants his buffalo 66 back

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2017, 08:32:17 AM »
I haven't watched this or his other one but all the descriptions make me not want to watch them. Is there a re edit with just the skating floating around somewhere?

bo golden

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2017, 08:32:40 AM »
He also has a personality, a trait missing in most people these days. Love him!

shark tits

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »
vincent gallo called
he wants his buffalo 66 back
'i'm wendy balsam too'  --- jim greco

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2017, 08:59:16 AM »
I haven't watched this or his other one but all the descriptions make me not want to watch them. Is there a re edit with just the skating floating around somewhere?

its really not that bad if you have a sense of humor.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2017, 09:17:14 AM »
hardly art, hardly starving

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2017, 09:22:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hard to say, I like to call antihero the 1-8 online to rustle people's jimmies.

Also these descriptions make it sound like some berrics thing done by a "reformed" bad boy. I think.

splerm

« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2017, 10:17:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Also these descriptions make it sound like some berrics thing done by a "reformed" bad boy. I think.
Jebum chirst, just watch it. If you dont like it turn it off. You watch movies dont you? You can spare the time for a short film with Greco skateboarding in it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2017, 11:32:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

it's way more dramatic than that

but also more enjoyable than that

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed that. Everyone's always complaining that everything looks the same. Well, here is something different.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2017, 11:54:55 AM »
great video

if "The Way Out" was Jim's "Buffalo'66," then "Year 13" is definitely his "The Brown Bunny"

absolutely perfect.

Only thing i'd maybe change is it would have been awesome if Danny Sargent joined in on Jim and Jeremy's curb sesh - cause lord knows the world can never have enough footage of Sargent fucking up curbs. 

completely, you nailed it. He shares both physical and psychological traits with Mr. Gallo as well

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »
Expand Quote
great video

if "The Way Out" was Jim's "Buffalo'66," then "Year 13" is definitely his "The Brown Bunny"

absolutely perfect.

Only thing i'd maybe change is it would have been awesome if Danny Sargent joined in on Jim and Jeremy's curb sesh - cause lord knows the world can never have enough footage of Sargent fucking up curbs. 
[close]

completely, you nailed it. He shares both physical and psychological traits with Mr. Gallo as well

Unfortunately doesn't share the talent as director.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2017, 12:09:19 PM »
I'm going back to the topic on the Jim thread I created a couple months ago. Something significant has happened between The Boss, Ellington, and Greco. Not only has he not been seen with them in well over a year, but neither one of them supported or "promoted" this film in anyway. No mention of his current issue Thrasher cover either.

What could it be?

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2017, 12:59:19 PM »
^Been curious about this as well. He's still got pro models and is still on the team page. Although, I believe he is part owner of Baker Boys, which probably complicates things.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2017, 01:13:50 PM »
I feel like people often get absorbed in the esthetic end of things at the expense of the skating, but it seems like he is trying to keep challenging himself on the board. Really liked it and nicely surprised by the high level of skating. As others have said, there's just no need for another company doing the same old thing, it's cool he is bringing something original.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2017, 01:39:49 PM »
"you want an eggroll with that?"

"No eggroll."

#noeggroll
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »
cause acting is really all about reacting...

VOSGOS

• Rep: 3
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »
   I have been off junk for 15 years, on and off alcohol for the last 3, been off weed and alcohol for the last 6 months, and I have not had a cigarette in just over a year.  When I saw 'The Way Out' it was a huge inspiration for me, the way the sober BAKER/DEATHWISH crew roll is a really good thing for kids coming up.  The first time I heard the DESCENDENTS was from that old vid PHYCO SKATE which you had to order off the TV. Me and my buddy were shredding Dogtown's and ZORLAC's listening to that song Coolidge wanting to be the GONZ leading a ripper train down a drainage ditch, we were 12 it was all about the stoke. It's pretty obvious that Jim has had a rough life and he is being all arty, but there is still an integrity under that fragile ego and an underlying humility for someone so talented.  I loved this new movie even more than the last, like anything it's a progression he is producing he is raising the bar even if it's only his own bar. Shouts Out to Jim(Jarmusch)Greco for 13 years not dead in an alley with a spike in his arm!  

Sarcasm

• Rep: -9
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »
Half way through the movie I was all, "man, I wish I could help Jim move this bench"

Rick Sanchez

« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2017, 05:13:26 PM »
i liked it. a lot.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2017, 07:48:55 PM »
loved the colors in this. think he said something about film to digital back to film, or something like that, to get it to look that way. pretty neat
curb sesh was fun
the "lonesome crowded west" comment somewhere above was perfect

#noeggroll
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2017, 08:14:04 PM »
Before watching this I rewatched The Way Out, which I thought was heavy-handed at first. It still is, but it grew on me a little. This short film was better editing-wise in my opinion, less filler and more skating while still retaining the feel of the original. I was waiting to hear Greco talk and he did, finally. I'm writing this like it's a movie review because it is.

Film stock was awesome, Greco's skating is always amazing. He's staying true to his promise to not slow down as he gets older.  I like how a b/s slappy is considered a clip for him, he did that back in the 411 days. And the b/s 360 lipslide "the hard way" on the curb was sick. Only took about 25 years after Gonz did the 180 to 50-50 (no snarko).

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »

My only real thought watching him drag the bench
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

shark tits

« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2017, 08:22:31 PM »
Before watching this I rewatched The Way Out, which I thought was heavy-handed at first. It still is, but it grew on me a little. This short film was better editing-wise in my opinion, less filler and more skating while still retaining the feel of the original. I was waiting to hear Greco talk and he did, finally. I'm writing this like it's a movie review because it is.

And the b/s 360 lipslide "the hard way" on the curb was sick.  (no snarko).
bs 360 to  boardslide. also no snarko and certainly was 'the hard way'. 360 flips seem to work better to lip than boardslide too not that i know anything about either one.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2017, 02:28:18 AM »
Expand Quote
"you want an eggroll with that?"

[close]

"No eggroll."

#noeggroll

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2017, 04:40:59 AM »
I dug it. I wanna be like greco: A wandering, lonely soul, with one purpose in mind... shred the gnar! Oops, I'm already like that! Minus the good skating.

Excusing the perceived narcissism, I kinda like that its one person for the most part. Showcasing that gives it a diff. feel and presentation as opposed to a whole crew of kids repping it in front of a camera (*supreme kids). Was alittle hard to get past the Cocteau song, though. Given that it made me think of brad cromer more. & I think it's kinda tricky to make semi-candid footage hit the right chord (like that numbers promo: so boring), but I think Greco did it enjoyably. Definitely a classic skater.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole , "Porkchop, no eggroll!" symbolism.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2017, 04:53:32 AM »
Maybe the egg roll symbolizes drugs and alcohol, the side dish of life, a little fried thrill on the side, but he must abstain and and hack away  at the monotony of every day life, the pork chop.

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »
Maybe the egg roll symbolizes drugs and alcohol, the side dish of life, a little fried thrill on the side, but he must abstain and and hack away  at the monotony of every day life, the pork chop.

i think he just doesnt like egg rolls.